Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Those posts seem to contradict eachother about the flu vaccine, maybe we're not talking about the same thing?

Ultimately though every strategy has to be questioned hard. If you put anyone on a pedestal above questioning, all you will end up with is incompetence and poor decisions.
    With private business having such an influence on health policy and many health "experts" actually having quite a narrow education with little real world experience, it is especially important to question everything.

And if you give people a reason to opt out whether true or not, they will opt out. Most people are selfish and only care about themselves when it comes down to it.
    Next thing you'll here is yosemitesams' children isn't bothering their backsides getting the vaccine so why should ours, and before you know it your school is closed due to covid testing due to flu.
    No questioning by you or anyone else is going to be listened to so you might as well suck it up and do as you're asked

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

How Iceland hammered COVID with science.
    https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-03284-3

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

greysides wrote: »
    How Iceland hammered COVID with science.
    https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-03284-3

An enviable position position, small population, good facilities to test and trace, no land border with a nation not taking it as seriously as they should.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,979 ✭✭✭endainoz

_Brian wrote: »
    An enviable position position, small population, good facilities to test and trace, no land border with a nation not taking it as seriously as they should.

An interesting article all the same, the different scientific approach is fascinating.

Yes the land border is of course a serious issue, we are about to open pubs and non essential retail again yet there is nothing stopping anyone from the north to go to a border county for Christmas shopping. The "all island approach" never took off the ground.

It would be still worth looking into the idea of mass testing but it would need to be a joint approach of UK and Ireland for it to work. But the tories have little value in human life so I can't see it happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/public-health-doctors-overwhelmingly-back-strike-action-over-pay-and-contracts-1.4421560%3fmode=amp

At least the poor public health doctors might benefit from covid. An extra 30-80k a year would be a nice bonus while the economy disintegrates

• Advertisement

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/public-health-doctors-overwhelmingly-back-strike-action-over-pay-and-contracts-1.4421560%3fmode=amp

At least the poor public health doctors might benefit from covid. An extra 30-80k a year would be a nice bonus while the economy disintegrates

I see that the government is backing out of their promise to leave the pension age at 66, apparently this is to be reconsidered and announced inthe summer.
    This'll be another examples of civil servants with their gilt edge pensions taking it from us commoners.
    Someone on here referred to it as ''pulling up the ladder'' ..... thought it was a great term.
    Civil servants get the bonuses the peasants take the cuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Good point Wrangler. What I found dealing in another life with both Govn't and LAs was, once an objective was decided upon, no matter what happened or how many years went by, it was always at the top of the file and given any chance that policy was implemented.
    Like charging for water, (which I agree with BTW), don't ever think it's shelved permanently.
    Increasing the pension age is, part of policy, and is only temporarily postponed.

As L5 ends at last It will be interesting to see how well we can keep numbers under control.

There’s considerable feeling among folk I’ve been talking to over lately few days that Jan6th will see another L5 lockdown, that’s not an nice thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,446 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

As L5 ends at last It will be interesting to see how well we can keep numbers under control.

There’s considerable feeling among folk I’ve been talking to over lately few days that Jan6th will see another L5 lockdown, that’s not an nice thought.

Sure that was said months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 29,517 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Tbh the most recent lockdown wasn't too severe. There was a bit of normality about it. Just passed by my mother heading to mass for the first time in 6 weeks

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »
    Good point Wrangler. What I found dealing in another life with both Govn't and LAs was, once an objective was decided upon, no matter what happened or how many years went by, it was always at the top of the file and given any chance that policy was implemented.
    Like charging for water, (which I agree with BTW), don't ever think it's shelved permanently.
    Increasing the pension age is, part of policy, and is only temporarily postponed.

OH is 66 in 2021 so will be peeved if it changes, but she has her public service pension anyway.

I think it's pretty much a given, unless changes are made to testing. As a small to moderate rise will lead to test numbers being ramped up by 20+% over a short period of time giving the illusion of a much faster rise than actually is going on.
    We still have no way of knowing what the test results actually represent

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

wrangler wrote: »
    OH is 66 in 2021 so will be peeved if it changes, but she has her public service pension anyway.

Public service..?

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭dzer2

Public service..?

Now now, hunting with the dogs and running with the hiare

Public service..?

It wouldn't be polite to send it back

Public service..?

The very ones someone always slating as useless, incompetent and lazy. 😂😂
    Seamus O’Rourke couldn’t script it better.

I'd say Wrangler will be put into stocks in the town square.
    Now if the 'public servant' had been a teacher or such in times past then being married to a farmer meant she didn't pay income tax, like my NS teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭alps

Now if the 'public servant' had been a teacher or such in times past then being married to a farmer meant she didn't pay income tax, like my NS teachers.

What? Seems like payback time now...

I think it's pretty much a given, unless changes are made to testing. As a small to moderate rise will lead to test numbers being ramped up by 20+% over a short period of time giving the illusion of a much faster rise than actually is going on.
    We still have no way of knowing what the test results actually represent

In fairness testing is a response to people showing symptoms amd close contacts rather than your idea that testing is damped up to artificially increase covid numbers.

More people presenting with symptoms would be a result of more covid.

This tin foil hat **** is tiresome in the extreme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Very much off topic but where on Earth did you get that notion?
    PAYE is in Ireland 60 years at this stage.

In fairness testing is a response to people showing symptoms amd close contacts rather than your idea that testing is damped up to artificially increase covid numbers.

I don't think it's artificially ramped up, more it's a built in fault of the testing structure that leads to positives lagging behind reality when the first increases occur and then rapidly catching up to whatever percentage of actual covid in the population that it maxes out at (which is much less than 100%).
    The problem is when we are in that catch-up phase, it appears as though there's exponential growth which leads to doomsday models and lockdown when it is not necessarily the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

Very much off topic but where on Earth did you get that notion?
    PAYE is in Ireland 60 years at this stage.

Everyone except the village idiot since circa 1980 has learned that the go-to GAA man believed that if you were 'true' club man that you would be rewarded with a job as a bank official, teacher, or a Garda for example. The rest could take their chances as a bar man or **** and take a boat outside of Eire.

Not many took up the bar man job. Most of those that did take that bar job are probably regretting it now more than ever.

Life changes slowly in Ireland despite what people think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

If it wasn't Christmas in 24 days time,tony hooligan would still have us in level 5,maybe even higher.his expectations of 50 to 100 positive covid daily cases by the 2nd of December were unrealistic.

Enjoy the next few weeks folks,as i fear Tony with the help of the media (more than people being irresponsible)will have us notched back up the levels. he's clearly a determined man when he gets a notion,and will get his way with weak politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Everyone except the village idiot since circa 1980 has learned that the go-to GAA man believed that if you were 'true' club man that you would be rewarded with a job as a bank official, teacher, or a Garda for example. The rest could take their chances as a bar man or **** and take a boat outside of Eire.

Not many took up the bar man job. Most of those that did take that bar job are probably regretting it now more than ever.

Life changes slowly in Ireland despite what people think.

?

Mod:Let's get the ship back on course, lads.

Adam Grant

I don’t get that people think Tony amd NEPHET have some hard on for having the country locked up. What do people think they gain from that ??

I think it’s more a case people don’t understand that NEPHET are tasked with advising what measures are required to best contain the virus. They aren’t tasked with social, emotional or business issues, just virus control. So it’s obvious their advice is going to be on the tighter side of restrictions because without a vaccine that’s how it’s controlled.

The government amd elected politicians have the task of combining Nephet advice with other needs and so we see what’s implemented being different to what nephet advise.

I don’t see that as a power struggle, it’s a case of taking advice from professionals amd than implementing that in a way that politicians think will work considering ALL aspects and not just virus containment.

It’s an odd system that the government have set nephet up to give separate press briefing to government briefings. Personally I like it like that. I’d rather hear things straight from scientific professionals than Stephen Donnelly’s interpretation of what he thinks I should hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭dh1985

I don’t get that people think Tony amd NEPHET have some hard on for having the country locked up. What do people think they gain from that ??

I think it’s more a case people don’t understand that NEPHET are tasked with advising what measures are required to best contain the virus. They aren’t tasked with social, emotional or business issues, just virus control. So it’s obvious their advice is going to be on the tighter side of restrictions because without a vaccine that’s how it’s controlled.

The government amd elected politicians have the task of combining Nephet advice with other needs and so we see what’s implemented being different to what nephet advise.

I don’t see that as a power struggle, it’s a case of taking advice from professionals amd than implementing that in a way that politicians think will work considering ALL aspects and not just virus containment.

It’s an odd system that the government have set nephet up to give separate press briefing to government briefings. Personally I like it like that. I’d rather hear things straight from scientific professionals than Stephen Donnelly’s interpretation of what he thinks I should hear.

There is no harm in questioning their policies. There not infallible. Tony holohan was the same man that publicly said there would only be an odd case on the island last february/march. These are also the people involved with running our hospitals where there is large outbreaks continuously shutting down other essential services like cancer diagnosis and treatment. The people of Ireland have done what has been asked of them in the most part and have sacrificed lots. Tony was quick coming out a week or two ago pointing to funerals as a cause of cases but no word mentioned to the naas or limerick hospital outbreaks and the lack or pre admission testing in a number of hospitals.
    Found of finger pointing unless it's on their own watch.
    And it's not what they gain from it more what ordinary Joe's.are sacrificing. There pay is guaranteed. The girls and guys working in Penney's not so fortunate

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

ruwithme wrote: »
    If it wasn't Christmas in 24 days time,tony hooligan would still have us in level 5,maybe even higher.his expectations of 50 to 100 positive covid daily cases by the 2nd of December were unrealistic.

Enjoy the next few weeks folks,as i fear Tony with the help of the media (more than people being irresponsible)will have us notched back up the levels. he's clearly a determined man when he gets a notion,and will get his way with weak politicians.

I think it was a mistake to give NPHET the chance to independently voice there recommendations as is currently happening. There an advisory committee to officials, no private business would allow them to make recommendations to anyone outside of those tasked with decision making. By letting Tony and co publicly voice there own ideas the government have lost the ability to make decisions based on anything other than NPHET findings. We're now reaching a stage where I'm wondering is it the elected officials or the so called expert's that are making the daily decisions. I blame a lack of leadership at the start and I always thought that Holohan was being set up as a scapegoat to be used if the earliest doomsday predictions came to pass.

I have little faith in most of those in charge atm but Holohans professional record isn't without blemish either although all seems to be forgotten in recent months. I'm no fan of Donnelly among others but looking at this situation solely from a medical practitioners point of view will be our undoing imo. How can you try to legislate for all factors when one group have independent public briefings every day from which to lobby there version of events. The fact that the death rate skyrocketed on the first day post lockdown is also convenient imo, that will pave the way nicely for the topic of more restrictions in the new year.

• Advertisement

We can see in the UK and US what happened when it was politicised.

Advertisement