Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

_Brian wrote: »
    I don’t get that people think Tony amd NEPHET have some hard on for having the country locked up. What do people think they gain from that ??

I think it’s more a case people don’t understand that NEPHET are tasked with advising what measures are required to best contain the virus. They aren’t tasked with social, emotional or business issues, just virus control. So it’s obvious their advice is going to be on the tighter side of restrictions because without a vaccine that’s how it’s controlled.

It’s an odd system that the government have set nephet up to give separate press briefing to government briefings. Personally I like it like that. I’d rather hear things straight from scientific professionals than Stephen Donnelly’s interpretation of what he thinks I should hear.

You've answered your own question. Nphet are looking at one aspect of the virus only, i.e. minimise the incident rate, and it is not their job to look at the bigger picture. If we all stayed at home like April and everywhere was closed we'd have no virus but the country would be bankrupt and we'd have tens of thousands of kids receiving no education. Not realistic.

Taoiseach Tony has a live TV broadcast every day and is the most powerful man in the country, not the lads we elected last February. Nphet's job is supposed to be to advise the government, and IMO the daily broadcast is overstepping the mark

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

You've answered your own question. Nphet are looking at one aspect of the virus only, i.e. minimise the incident rate, and it is not their job to look at the bigger picture. If we all stayed at home like April and everywhere was closed we'd have no virus but the country would be bankrupt and we'd have tens of thousands of kids receiving no education. Not realistic.

Taoiseach Tony has a live TV broadcast every day and is the most powerful man in the country, not the lads we elected last February. Nphet's job is supposed to be to advise the government, and IMO the daily broadcast is overstepping the mark

It’s just an information briefing.
    Would you rather get information only Stephen Donnelly feels you need??

This post is a prime example of not understanding what an adviser does. The public briefings were set up by the government.

I listen to science amd science professionals, politicians ALWAYS have an angle to spin on something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Listen to the science translates to listen to the science that I agree with.

The angle is the bigger picture. Little tyrants like Tony need to be reminded who is in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

It’s just an information briefing.
    Would you rather get information only Stephen Donnelly feels you need??

This post is a prime example of not understanding what an adviser does. The public briefings were set up by the government.

I listen to science amd science professionals, politicians ALWAYS have an angle to spin on something.

Everyone has their own angle to spin. There's an awful lot of parasites masquerading as academics. But nphet doesn't even have many (if any) that could really pass as scientists. It's almost entirely HSE/civil service staff

Edit to say that people would much rather if raw data and the the models in use were published in their entirety

• Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Biden says, on inaugeration day he will ask all Americans to mask for 100 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/pfizer-chairman-not-clear-people-spread-covid-19-after-vaccine-2020-12%3famp

After cashing in on his Pfizer stock last month the CEO admits they don't know if the vaccine will prevent people spreading covid.
    If it can't do that, there's no point in vaccinating a large amount of the population. It remains to be seen also does it protect against severe illness

• Registered Users Posts: 24,446 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/pfizer-chairman-not-clear-people-spread-covid-19-after-vaccine-2020-12%3famp

After cashing in on his Pfizer stock last month the CEO admits they don't know if the vaccine will prevent people spreading covid.
    If it can't do that, there's no point in vaccinating a large amount of the population. It remains to be seen also does it protect against severe illness

Shock horror there. What did they think would be the story after rushing the development

Soooo taking the vaccine is better protection than waiting for other people to take it and hoping your protected.

Sorta makes sense right.

Taking the vaccine doesn’t stop you spreading it round by poor hand hygiene etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,979 ✭✭✭endainoz

I don't see an issue with the stock thing that you keep bringing up, it was a perfectly acceptable business decision, nothing underhanded about it.

The vaccine won't work if it's not given to a large number of the population, this can be eradicated if the take up is high enough. As Brian said people could still be carriers, the virus can stay on a surface for a certain period of time.

I saw a doctor speak about this before and the way to look as it would be to imagine a "swiss cheese" type scenario. One slice would represent the vaccine, anti vaxxers would be some holes in that slice. The next slice would be hand hygiene, the next would be social distancing etc. You get the idea; the vaccine is not a silver bullet, it needs to be used in conjunction with other methods.

• Advertisement

endainoz wrote: »
    I don't see an issue with the stock thing that you keep bringing up, it was a perfectly acceptable business decision, nothing underhanded about it.

The vaccine won't work if it's not given to a large number of the population, this can be eradicated if the take up is high enough. As Brian said people could still be carriers, the virus can stay on a surface for a certain period of time.

I saw a doctor speak about this before and the way to look as it would be to imagine a "swiss cheese" type scenario. One slice would represent the vaccine, anti vaxxers would be some holes in that slice. The next slice would be hand hygiene, the next would be social distancing etc. You get the idea; the vaccine is not a silver bullet, it needs to be used in conjunction with other methods.

This is the thing. The points in your post are based on assuming that vaccination prevents asymptomatic infection and spread. Ie I get vaccinated, get exposed and infected and despite no symptoms still exhale covid and infect others.
    There is no data to say that the vaccine will protect against that.

All we know is that it likely reduces a cold to nothing. But beyond that nobody knows.
    Severe cases may still happen in vaccinated people at a similar rate or might be reduced. Nobody can say as there is no data to show either way.

We are betting on the vaccine being useful and maybe it will but there would want to be a fairly good plan b that doesn't involve endless lockdowns and restrictions

The point of the trials were, that very few who get the vaccine get seriously ill with Covid. If it prevented a person from passing on an infection that would be a bonus.
    If everybody gets Covid at some point after vaccination and nobody or very few get seriously ill, then the vaccine has done its main job.

Water John wrote: »
    The point of the trials were, that very few who get the vaccine get seriously ill with Covid. If it prevented a person from passing on an infection that would be a bonus.
    If everybody gets Covid at some point after vaccination and nobody or very few get seriously ill, then the vaccine has done its main job.

The trials could only show if mild disease was reduced. They would have had to have been bigger and containing larger proportions of at risk people to give any data on severe disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

This is the thing. The points in your post are based on assuming that vaccination prevents asymptomatic infection and spread. Ie I get vaccinated, get exposed and infected and despite no symptoms still exhale covid and infect others.
    There is no data to say that the vaccine will protect against that.

All we know is that it likely reduces a cold to nothing. But beyond that nobody knows.
    Severe cases may still happen in vaccinated people at a similar rate or might be reduced. Nobody can say as there is no data to show either way.

We are betting on the vaccine being useful and maybe it will but there would want to be a fairly good plan b that doesn't involve endless lockdowns and restrictions

There won't be a plan B, if there was it would've been used long ago, I intend to get the vaccine and wait 3 /4 weeks, after that if I give it to someone through asymptomatic infection that's anti vaxxer, then that's their tough luck.
    I won't be restricting after 3 weeks and will maybe even dump the masks. Anti vaxxers think they're being very smart but we'll see

wrangler wrote: »
    There won't be a plan B, if there was it would've been used long ago, I intend to get the vaccine and wait 3 /4 weeks, after that if I give it to someone through asymptomatic infection that's anti vaxxer, then that's their tough luck.
    I won't be restricting after 3 weeks and will maybe even dump the masks. Anti vaxxers think they're being very smart but we'll see

But what about coming into contact with elderly, immunocompromised or other very high risk groups. It remains to be seen what difference does the vaccine make to those groups.
    It is only a very small proportion of society who have anything more than a cold to worry about and do we decide f***k them if the vaccine doesn't offer them a large amount of protection?

But what about coming into contact with elderly, immunocompromised or other very high risk groups. It remains to be seen what difference does the vaccine make to those groups.
    It is only a very small proportion of society who have anything more than a cold to worry about and do we decide f***k them if the vaccine doesn't offer them a large amount of protection?

There's hundreds of thousands not bothering about the immunocompromised already, I see it all over,
    Why should I worry about them if I have myself protected

There's hundreds of thousands not bothering about the immunocompromised already, I see it all over,

I have been quite annoyed at many peoples inability to observe a bit of the basic guidelines esp in the Autumn. However one cannot base ones own response on those. So many have made great efforts and the vulnerable must be protected as much as is reasonably possible.
    Let's play out the game esp as their is a probable end line.

There's some who'd castigate you for that attitude but I hope that the majority of people are thinking the same thing as you, otherwise we risk never leaving behind these restrictions

There's some who'd castigate you for that attitude but I hope that the majority of people are thinking the same thing as you, otherwise we risk never leaving behind these restrictions

I was in town yesterday and you'd never think there was a virus going around, every where was full , also heard that everywhere was full last night as well.
    So who's the fools.
    It'll be interesting to see if this weekend reflects in the numbers affected around 15th to 20th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Oh great that rules me out so :o

Your expendable anyways :P

Reggie. wrote: »
    Your expendable anyways :P

Im LGP :D

Reggie. wrote: »

That’s unfortunate.
    Hopefully just the Sun sensationalising as ever

That’s unfortunate.

Its just been on the 11am news on Today fm

That’s unfortunate.

And there was hundreds vaccinated yesterday.

The two that reacted carried an adrenalin pen,, it says it all really

And there was hundreds vaccinated yesterday.

The two that reacted carried an adrenalin pen,, it says it all really

What might show up when millions receive it...

I'd say there be lots of different reactions, even a blood transfusion can react in some

TBF I'd be more worried about side affects at 40 than 70

back a few years ago, my mam was getting chemo treatment

She received a certain drug 108 times over 5 years. On the 109 time she had a reaction to the exact same drug administered by a nurse .

Of course a few people will have a reaction to it .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,948 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

We don't test any medicine, therapy, treatment on millions of people.
    This is a known possible reaction e.g. the annual flu vaccine can cause this kind of reaction, it's why people receiving vaccine or injected medicine for first time are monitored for this kind of allergic reaction (or just fainting).

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement