Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

If you carry an EpiPen why would you be given or volunteer on the first day of a new vaccine?

Other news (not news) Covid 19 has been detected in a child swabbed in Italy on the 30th Nov 2019

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Water John wrote: »
    If you carry an EpiPen why would you be given or volunteer on the first day of a new vaccine?

Other news (not news) Covid 19 has been detected in a child swabbed in Italy on the 30th Nov 2019

Good to see some evidence.
    Anecdotally many people believe covid was in circulation late 2019. Even in ireland we were seeing people in hospital and dying from a shocking unusual fly/chest infection that didn’t fit previous seen issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I don't think it's serious reaction, ie not a type to be fatal.
    Vaccine is the lesser of two evils especially if you were in the front line

Numbers edging upwards already I'm afraid, 4000 died in america yesterday because, they say , of Thanksgiving

• Registered Users Posts: 29,517 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

wrangler wrote: »
    Numbers edging upwards already I'm afraid, 4000 died in america yesterday because, they say , of Thanksgiving

Friends who are living in America are coming home next week for good. Get tested at Dublin airport at a cost of 99 euro each. 5 days isolation when they get home. Their dog will be on the same flight and can be collected that evening in swords

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭alps

whelan2 wrote: »
    Friends who are living in America are coming home next week for good. Get tested at Dublin airport at a cost of 99 euro each. 5 days isolation when they get home. Their dog will be on the same flight and can be collected that evening in swords

Spray the dog...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Only 5 days isolation, Jesus I wouldn't be going near them for at least 2/3 weeks, America is riff with Covid, have you heard of A-Synthamatic

GoneHome wrote: »
    Only 5 days isolation, Jesus I wouldn't be going near them for at least 2/3 weeks, America is riff with Covid, have you heard of A-Synthamatic

Everyone that travels , near or far, is extending this virus

wrangler wrote: »
    Everyone that travels , near or far, is extending this virus

I wouldn't begrudge them coming home as long as they keep to the rules. . Must have been very hard not seeing family etc for over a year. No one would have thought the virus would come. It was grand up to last year as everyone was just a flight away

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Thought I would give a bit of an update I'm living in Sydney, its been 60% - 80% normal since June with the last few months being well over 80%. Now its about 90% normal I would say its equivalent to Level 0.3- 0.5 in Ireland, there are some restrictions mostly nightclubs and gym capacities but rom what I have seen cafes, restaurants and food courts have returned their table capacities to more or less pre-covid. Pubs have restricted 1 person 2m2 so a 10m x10m floor space can accommodate 50 people, you are not stuck in someone's arm pit but you can stand and sit and the pubs are quite full but not not the really overly overcrowded.

I was out on my xmas party last night, venue we used last year right on the harbour. There were 138 of us, 8 to a table which I think was same last year and no one wearing masks except staff, we had a live band and signs up indicating max 50 dancing at a time although previous years you wouldn't have that many dancing anyway. Bar staff just uncapped bottles and wine and left on the bar and you help yourself, was all very civilized.

Shopping centres are packed, I managed to make it to my local one this afternoon once I recovered and 8005 car parking spaces were all full plus it has a metro station underneath so you can imagine how many people were there. All shops had max capacities signs a few months ago they seem to be gone now all shops were absolutely packed.

You are restricted to 50 people at your house or 30 people in your apartment, masks are only advisory on public transport you see maybe 50/50. In shops mask wearing is probably 10% but would be a lot higher in Asian suburbs.

outdoor stadiums are at 100% capacity, indoors 75% same as cinemas, theaters etc.

They have restricted the NYE fireworks events in the city this year in a toned down version but it will proceed as a beam of hope to the world.
    Attendance in all the spots is for permit holders, if you live in the CBD you and your guests can have a permit, anyone who attends a restaurant, hotel or a ticketed pub event can have a permit and frontline workers can have a permit to the premium spots.

• Advertisement

Sad to lose country singer Charlie Pride to Covid.

My Aunts brother died today down the country. They thought he was improving. It's not going away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭dzer2

My Aunts brother died today down the country. They thought he was improving. It's not going away.

What age would he being Whelan

dzer2 wrote: »
    What age would he being Whelan

51. His daughter had suspected appendicitis and they brought her to kilkenny hospital where they picked up covid. She was sent home and subsequently got them out in crumlin. They all got a mild dose of covid but he got it bad. Word was last week hed be ok. Sadly he died yesterday. Scary stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

Sad to lose country singer Charlie Pride to Covid.

I agree entirely.
    I had the pleasure of attending one of his concerts a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭dzer2

51. His daughter had suspected appendicitis and they brought her to kilkenny hospital where they picked up covid. She was sent home and subsequently got them out in crumlin. They all got a mild dose of covid but he got it bad. Word was last week hed be ok. Sadly he died yesterday. Scary stuff

That who I thought it was

My condolences to your family

dzer2 wrote: »
    That who I thought it was

My condolences to your family

I didn't know him. His eldest sister is married to my uncle. Big family in it.

National school close to Cavan town.

Teacher for 1st and 2nd class tested positive. She sent her own kid into the class the day she was being tested.
    She tested positive, class was tested and her own child and two others positive.
    Parent I know really annoyed that she sent her kid into the classroom when she was going for a test. Classes off now and whole families restricted movements until the 23rd.

If people could just follow the guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭naughto

_Brian wrote: »

Teacher for 1st and 2nd class tested positive. She sent her own kid into the class the day she was being tested.
    She tested positive, class was tested and her own child and two others positive.
    Parent I know really annoyed that she sent her kid into the classroom when she was going for a test. Classes off now and whole families restricted movements until the 23rd.

The sh1te show in claremorris is going to come to haunt them a sh1teload of kids have/had ut and the principal closed but the powers that be are demanding it be open tomorrow.
    Word is that its coming from a local plant where none are irish and no masks or testing going on and it spread to the school

Tulsa offices in Monaghan had 17cases last week.
    Word is it came across the border with a worker from NI and then poor social distancing and no mask wearing let it spread through the offices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,774 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I was in Tescos's earlier in Limerick. Came out the door to be met by a group of about 20 young lads. They looked like they had just bought beer and were celebrating the Limerick win. All in a tight group and not one wearing a mask.:mad:

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

I was in Tescos's earlier in Limerick. Came out the door to be met by a group of about 20 young lads. They looked like they had just bought beer and were celebrating the Limerick win. All in a tight group and not one wearing a mask.:mad:

That's the main problem of spread.
    The Claremorris school Principal can't go on a solo run. The school system has to operate to a common set of guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭selectamatic

If you're being tested as a close contact and do not have symptoms the rest of your family don't have to restrict their movements.
    That's the main problem of spread.
    The Claremorris school Principal can't go on a solo run. The school system has to operate to a common set of guidelines.

The Claremorris school attempted to close on health and safety grounds as they are entitled to do or at least used to be because they have 3 out of 5 teachers out and can't get subs. However DES overruled and have forced them to reopen. Where subs have been found I don't know and it'll be very interesting to see how many kids are there tomorrow.

Over 10% of the school positive and the local area running at near 3 times the national cases per 100k. Absolute madness keeping it open and could well end up completely ruining Christmas for some of the kids something which definitely isn't conducive to their wellbeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Saw in another thread - that the Coonagh Roundabout Tesco has had an outbreak among its staff.

https://clarechampion.ie/tesco-confirms-covid-19-outbreak-as-clare-cases-remain-low/?fbclid=IwAR00_uWkTp049JMx7pSuyrHdc9QiJgPYDEYK5d6uJ2RA25AG_SuRzqmVGOM

This is a cluster of 25 now with a few whole families tested positive.

Jesus when it gets on it spreads easily.

Over 40 cases in louth today....big outbreak at a bakery

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

What area is this?

ruwithme wrote: »
    What area is this?

Outside Cavan town

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Sounds highly likely that the teacher caught it in the school so.

There's so little in place to prevent spread it's definitely not surprising to see. Windows being open policy is definitely helping to somewhat keep a lid on things though.

Is there any word on the school being closed? Clearly it should be considered especially this close to Christmas but DES are extremely reluctant to take such action but thankfully parents are seeing the wood from the trees, only 7 attending the claremorris school yesterday highlighted as much.

• Advertisement

Sounds highly likely that the teacher caught it in the school so.

There's so little in place to prevent spread it's definitely not surprising to see. Windows being open policy is definitely helping keep a lid on things.

Is there any word on the school being closed? Clearly it should be considered especially this close to Christmas but DES are extremely reluctant to take such action but thankfully parents are seeing the wood from the trees, only 7 attending the claremorris school yesterday highlighted as much.

School open but many many kids not being sent.
    Even the secondary school bus serving this area is very quiet.

Advertisement