Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

whelan2 wrote: »
    Local priest has tested positive here.

So much for the Mullahoran priest saying God would protect people in churches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

_Brian wrote: »
    So much for the Mullahoran priest saying God would protect people in churches.

Ye of little faith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1115707/sweden-number-of-deaths-per-week/

Sweden looking like it's still on course for an average all cause mortality at somewhere between 90-91 thousand deaths for the full year.
    2019 88,766
    2018 92,185
    2017 91,972
    2016 90,982
    2015 90,907
    2014 88,976
    2013 90,402
    2012 91,938
    2011 89,938
    2010 90,487
    Average 90,655

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1115707/sweden-number-of-deaths-per-week/

Sweden looking like it's still on course for an average all cause mortality at somewhere between 90-91 thousand deaths for the full year.
    2019 88,766
    2018 92,185
    2017 91,972
    2016 90,982
    2015 90,907
    2014 88,976
    2013 90,402
    2012 91,938
    2011 89,938
    2010 90,487
    Average 90,655

And what would it be if there was no lockdowns, I'd venture they'd be very different, firstly there's a lot less flu deaths because of masks and lockdowns and secondly covid deaths would be massive but for lockdowns.
    A friend in the north tells me that you'd be laughed at wearing a mask, says it all really

wrangler wrote: »
    And what would it be if there was no lockdowns, I'd venture they'd be very different, firstly there's a lot less flu deaths because of masks and lockdowns and secondly covid deaths would be massive but for lockdowns.
    A friend in the north tells me that you'd be laughed at wearing a mask, says it all really

Sweden had no lockdown was the point. Even wih their high infection figures deaths aren't out of the ordinary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,948 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Sweden had no lockdown was the point. Even wih their high infection figures deaths aren't out of the ordinary

They just had their highest November death toll since the Spanish flu.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,446 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Ah wouldnt agree with that. Was up there a few times this year and masks being worn and sanatiser in shops and that

Have relatives over from england too and they are very aware of it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,979 ✭✭✭endainoz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Covid test for me today. Was quick and painless. Hoping it's just the flu as I've been keeping my close contacts to 4 people since March. 2 outside and my father in the house. He has no symptoms so far and got vaccinated against the flu. Will be fairly disappointed in myself if it turns out to be covid with all the precautions we've been taking over the last few months. I don't really give a f about myself it's my father I'm concerned.

Edit: Came back saying COVID-19 not detected. I've been clearing out alot of ditches recently so might be something I've picked up from that. I've a tendency to get up my neck in muck and thorns. I'll have to accept I'm not as bullet proof as I think I am and have a bit more caution in some of the work I do be doing. Anyway will be able to see the doctor now to see why I'm having these headaches and sweats.

Reggie. wrote: »
    Ah wouldnt agree with that. Was up there a few times this year and masks being worn and sanatiser in shops and that

Then why have they treble the incidence per 1000 than we have down here if it's not that they're acting the brat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,517 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Reggie. wrote: »

My aunt rang from newry, she was planning on coming down and visiting 4 families of relatives and then going for a meal. My dad just said no way. She was insistent that if she had her mask on it would be grand. Totally different view on covid to us down here

My aunt rang from newry, she was planning on coming down and visiting 4 families of relatives and then going for a meal. My dad just said no way. She was insistent that if she had her mask on it would be grand. Totally different view on covid to us down here

582 today, it'll be 1000 in no time.
    If the southerners don't have manners we'll be locked down before Christmas and no one to blame but ourselves

Then why have they treble the incidence per 1000 than we have down here if it's not that they're acting the brat

They mentioned that the last lockdown up there had very little impact on the volume of movement so not too sure what they are hoping from the next one. Driving people further into uncontrolled settings seems to be one of the main outcomes as shops, gyms etc dont seem to play much of an important role in it's spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

A good friend died in October, he is originally from the North and his siblings, nieces and nephews attended the funeral. The undertaker had to ask them to put on masks before entering the church. As soon as the funeral mass was over most of them took the masks off and we were still inside the church. I found out afterwards that one of his nephews had been tested the day before the funeral but they never let on. The same man was discharged from an intensive care unit in a Northern hospital on Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

Have you noticed that since the Coronavirus Pandemic arrived there appears to be no deaths caused by the "normal" Flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Have you noticed that since the Coronavirus Pandemic arrived there appears to be no deaths caused by the "normal" Flu.

Flu pretty much comes from the southern hemisphere up to us for winter. They had a pretty much non-existent flu season, so already a lot less of it around. Coupled with a lot less travel into the country, social distancing and masks, enhanced hygiene, vulnerable people taking a lot more risks and the fact it is already less contagious then COVID means its pretty much not around

There are most likely cases around but as of yet the HSE has recorded 0 flu cases this season.

A good thing really, flu on top of covid wouldn't be ideal!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

Yes, almost every one has, it's as if social distancing and lack of travel has had a bigger impact on a disease which is less infectious than covid-19. I'm sure it would be easy to create some more interesting conspiracy theory though.

emaherx wrote: »
    Yes, almost every one has, it's as if social distancing and lack of travel has had a bigger impact on a disease which is less infectious than covid-19. I'm sure it would be easy to create some more interesting conspiracy theory though.

Lack of travel is the probably the main cause but disrupting the flu's cycle of moving around the world will presumably mean that there will be a greater diversity of strains emerge as things hopefully get moving again over the coming years

• Registered Users Posts: 24,446 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Not saying theres a different view just saying what I seen in the shops and petrol stations first hand

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Deadly or not, the north has shown us what can happen, the virus in the south is not as big a problem as our rubbish health service. It's the lack of a health service is the reason the country is kept locked down,

young people should be allowed decide what risks to take and have a proper health service to deal with those that get it wrong

Go red at throwaway comments like that about our health service. The whole world is in pretty much the same situ - bursting at the seams due to increased demand against reducing capacity. Ireland is no different than other countries in this regard. Remember Italy sent over 65’s home from hospital to die during the first wave because their health service was completely overwhelmed. Quote here re NHS - Operations have had to be cancelled, and hospitals had to divert ambulance crews to different facilities 44 times last week - the most since 2016.

Why would the youth have the right to live their life without restrictions in the midst of a pandemic and then expect the/any health service to step in ‘if they get it wrong’. So many things wrong with your statement notwithstanding the risk they would knowingly place our front line workers under.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

Is it not the case that the test for Covid-19 cannot distinguish between Covid-19 and the Flu with the result that all positives get classified as Covid-19 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

https://twitter.com/damianbruced/status/1334884407627444233?s=08

Very very interesting thread here on Varadkar!

Basically he knows the continuous lockdowns are a sham.

However, he's not going to say it too loudly as he knows the media would crucify him (they threw him a warning shot with the leak "scandal")

He can foresee a point in the coming years where the lunacy of these lockdowns will be exposed and he's preparing his quotes to be able to say: "I told ye so"

A smart man - but cynical and self-serving to the core.

Is it not the case that the test for Covid-19 cannot distinguish between Covid-19 and the Flu with the result that all positives get classified as Covid-19 ?

Nope.
    If you have anything solid to back that up with pls post otherwise its a garbage claim.
    And dont buy anything from wherever you read it.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Nope.
    If you have anything solid to back that up with pls post otherwise its a garbage claim.
    And dont buy anything from wherever you read it.

It would be very interesting to test at least a portion of covid positives for a range of diseases. If they also tested positive for other coronaviruses, flus, rhinovirus, pneumonia etc how do we know what one is causing the disease.
    When a covid positive is identified I doubt too many more questions are asked

• Registered Users Posts: 4,979 ✭✭✭endainoz

Neddyusa wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/damianbruced/status/1334884407627444233?s=08

Very very interesting thread here on Varadkar!

Basically he knows the continuous lockdowns are a sham.

However, he's not going to say it too loudly as he knows the media would crucify him (they threw him a warning shot with the leak "scandal")

He can foresee a point in the coming years where the lunacy of these lockdowns will be exposed and he's preparing his quotes to be able to say: "I told ye so"

A smart man - but cynical and self-serving to the core.

A thread written by an antimasker keyboard warrior, a dangerous idiot to listen to.

It would be very interesting to test at least a portion of covid positives for a range of diseases. If they also tested positive for other coronaviruses, flus, rhinovirus, pneumonia etc how do we know what one is causing the disease.

While that is true,

I think it's safe to assume levels of flu are extremely low compared to normal unless you are suggesting almost every sevear flu globally is also accompanied by this coronavirus.

We are testing for flu. But negatives at present.
    If someone did test positive for flu also and then died I havent read anything to say it would only be reported as covid.

Covid can cause pneumonia it is how it was first spotted in China. So not sure what test you have in mind there.

emaherx wrote: »
    While that is true,

I think it's safe to assume levels of flu are extremely low compared to normal unless you are suggesting almost every sevear flu globally is also accompanied by this coronavirus.

Not suggesting anything only it would be interesting to see what would be found.
    The flu monitoring carried out in a normal year is a few hundred or thousand samples taken through the winter and then rough calculations based on percentages of those with flu like symptoms that test positive scaled up to the population. It's not a case that most people (even in hospital) would ever be tested to see if they have flu.
    Is there the same amount of sampling being carried out as other years? I assume the focus is almost entirely on covid

Is there the same amount of sampling being carried out as other years? I assume the focus is almost entirely on covid

We can all speculate, but given that they had a real fear of high numbers of patients with both flu and covid at the same time I'd imagine flu is being monitored at the very least at normal levels.

Obviously no more proof in how I imagine it or your assumptions but I think we agree that would be fairly careless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Normal flu is very low according to the medics in my family.

Advertisement