Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Base price wrote: »
    “Batsh1t” is apt although the scientists studying the origins of this virus say it could have mutated within different species. That’s the bit I remember from Newstalk/Prof. Luke O’Neill earlier this week.

Are we implementing restrictions here on UK travel?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Base price wrote: »
    “Batsh1t” is apt although the scientists studying the origins of this virus say it could have mutated within different species. That’s the bit I remember from Newstalk/Prof. Luke O’Neill earlier this week.

There's a saying in microbiology that everything is everywhere but the environment selects.
    What is really being seen with this new variant could just be random, it could be that some variants might be more favoured in the summer/autumn compared to the winter (but average out at same transmission rates overall) or it could be just noise thats being wrongly interpreted.
    All of the above are much much more likely answers than what they are saying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

gozunda wrote: »
    Are we implementing restrictions here on UK travel?

Quietest I've heard Dublin Airport in over a week. Hope all the irish truck drivers make it home soon that have been caught up in all of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,517 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

NcdJd wrote: »
    Quietest I've heard Dublin Airport in over a week. Hope all the irish truck drivers make it home soon that have been caught up in all of this.

I dont understand why the government cant meet today. Are ferries still running?

whelan2 wrote: »
    I dont understand why the government cant meet today. Are ferries still running?

Do they not get a 3 day weekend ? :)

Ferries are still running. But not sure when the freight services only routine kicks in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭dzer2

Not sure how they are going to implement it as the passengers have to be stopped boarding on the UK side. It's too late when they arrive in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 29,517 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Wasnt there a ferry refused to dock in liverpool last week as something like 6 crew members had tested positive?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Civil service call the shots. It was all about managing the queue at the hospitals. Managing the curve as they call it.
    Look at Australia. They closed the borders and put the army on the streets. It worked.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Civil service call the shots. It was all about managing the queue at the hospitals. Managing the curve as they call it.
    Look at Australia. They closed the borders and put the army on the streets. It worked.

To be fair that's not exactly true, Australia only closed border to foreigners there is still 6500 citizens a week flying into Australia.. sure they are managed in quarantine for 14 days which many don't really mind if it helps keep cases manageable.

but there is definitely no army on the streets

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

dzer2 wrote: »
    Not sure how they are going to implement it as the passengers have to be stopped boarding on the UK side. It's too late when they arrive in Dublin

People should stop all this whinig over one bloody day,
    In famine times people left and never saw their family again, now they have every possible method to stay in contact.
    Anyone flying in now are selfish in the extreme ...... pathetic lot

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

wrangler wrote: »
    People should stop all this whinig over one bloody day,
    In famine times people left and never saw their family again, now they have every possible method to stay in contact.
    Anyone flying in now are selfish in the extreme ...... pathetic lot

Different times and different people with different stresses these days, but I agree with your point - not getting "home for Xmas" won't kill anyone, but getting home might!

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

There's a saying in microbiology that everything is everywhere but the environment selects.
    What is really being seen with this new variant could just be random, it could be that some variants might be more favoured in the summer/autumn compared to the winter (but average out at same transmission rates overall) or it could be just noise thats being wrongly interpreted.
    All of the above are much much more likely answers than what they are saying

Imagine if the news reports stated something as straightforward and non-dramatic as this? There'd be much less stress on everyone.

But that'd be boring and the news media are competing with the Kardashians, Liverpool vs Man City, and Sky's latest flashy series (whatever it is this week), so they go with drama and "the end is nigh" to try get people's attention. Plus RTE has dozens of staff and they need something to do.

Switch off the news!

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Imagine if the news reports stated something as straightforward and non-dramatic as this? There'd be much less stress on everyone.

But that'd be boring and the news media are competing with the Kardashians, Liverpool vs Man City, and Sky's latest flashy series (whatever it is this week), so they go with drama and "the end is nigh" to try get people's attention. Plus RTE has dozens of staff and they need something to do.

Switch off the news!

If a salesman walked into anyones yard and told them x product COULD be up to 70% more effective than y product according to a survey (not even a trial). Who would buy?

The more cynical side of me says that this is being brought about to regain the sort of control that was had over the population back in spring as restrictions are getting less and less effective at actually reducing peoples activity.
    Could also be a bit to hype up how the vaccine is the only solution or take focus away from Brexit discussions...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The indications are, that the new variant adds 0.4 to the R number. So a R 1 becomes an R 1.4. To get an R 1 of the new variant is the equivalent of getting our R number to 0.6.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    To be fair that's not exactly true, Australia only closed border to foreigners there is still 6500 citizens a week flying into Australia.. sure they are managed in quarantine for 14 days which many don't really mind if it helps keep cases manageable.

but there is definitely no army on the streets

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-53174827

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I live in Australia

Army and Navy act as security for quarantine hotels, not on the streets.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    I live in Australia

Army and Navy act as security for quarantine hotels, not on the streets.

I was told they were, by someone who has a close relative living there. Sydney, I believe.

2.2M doses of Pfizer will be EU authorised for Ireland this evening and 880,000 Moderna around Jan 6th. That's enough for 1.5 M people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭alps

Water John wrote: »
    2.2M doses of Pfizer will be EU authorised for Ireland this evening and 880,000 Moderna around Jan 6th. That's enough for 1.5 M people.

Should let farmers administer it....only people who can do 100 an hour..

Seriously though...I've yet to see anyone comment on the numbers to be completed daily....38,000 per day (5 day week) to have everyone done by the end of 2021..

This talk of adding it on top of GP and pharmacy workload seems nonsensical....how the GP's can even contemplate looking for the work is beyond me when you consider how difficult it is to get an appointment for everyday ailments..

• Advertisement

alps wrote: »
    Should let farmers administer it....only people who can do 100 an hour..

Seriously though...I've yet to see anyone comment on the numbers to be completed daily....38,000 per day (5 day week) to have everyone done by the end of 2021..

This talk of adding it on top of GP and pharmacy workload seems nonsensical....how the GP's can even contemplate looking for the work is beyond me when you consider how difficult it is to get an appointment for everyday ailments..

There are 1/2 nurses in most GP practices. Along with pharmacists, that puts in excess of 10 vaccinators in each town without asking any doctors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

The indications are, that the new variant adds 0.4 to the R number. So a R 1 becomes an R 1.4. To get an R 1 of the new variant is the equivalent of getting our R number to 0.6.

The 0.4 isn't a nailed down figure for the new variant, they are looking at between 0.4 and 0.9 as being the addend. It's the potential for 0.9 that's scaring the bejeesus out of health authorities.

The 0.4 I had sourced from the Guardian, hadn't heard mention of 0.9.
    0.9 would mean very high transmission, like measles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

The New and Emerging Respiratory Virus Threat Analysis Group (NERVTAG) in the UK met on the 18th and included this in their summary:
    Studies of correlation between R-values and detection of the variant: which suggest an absolute increase in the R-value of between 0.39 to 0.93.

This is still under investigation, but the precautionary principle is being applied due to the potential for rapid exponential growth which would again overwhelm health systems.

https://www.zerohedge.com/covid-19/scientists-mps-ask-where-evidence-70-more-contagious-mutant-covid

Worth reading...

There doesnt seem to be any published evidence of how they came to the conclusion that it's more infective. Nobody really understands what causes different strains of the same pathogen to predominate over eachother. But diversity is a given with any pathogen, so why lose our sh1t over this one mutation. The precautionary principle is not a valid reason, only solid data would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,979 ✭✭✭endainoz

https://www.zerohedge.com/covid-19/scientists-mps-ask-where-evidence-70-more-contagious-mutant-covid

Worth reading...

There doesnt seem to be any published evidence of how they came to the conclusion that it's more infective. Nobody really understands what causes different strains of the same pathogen to predominate over eachother. But diversity is a given with any pathogen, so why lose our sh1t over this one mutation. The precautionary principle is not a valid reason, only solid data would be.

I loved him in Fight Club, seriously man you clearly do have great knowledge of these things without linking websites with no credibility that quotes the daily mail.

endainoz wrote: »
    I loved him in Fight Club, seriously man you clearly do have great knowledge of these things without linking websites with no credibility that quotes the daily mail.

That particular article is sound and everything in it is worth considering even if it's not the most respectable source out there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,979 ✭✭✭endainoz

That particular article is sound and everything in it is worth considering even if it's not the most respectable source out there

I'm not giving an article any attention when the author is a fictional character.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

There are 1/2 nurses in most GP practices. Along with pharmacists, that puts in excess of 10 vaccinators in each town without asking any doctors.

I reckon there will be have to designated centres set up,

storage is the big issue, I can't see -70c facilities being available at small scale outlets

• Advertisement

orm0nd wrote: »
    I reckon there will be have to designated centres set up,

storage is the big issue, I can't see -70c facilities being available at small scale outlets

Not a problem with dry ice. Will last up to 5 days before the dry ice needs to be changed. At that stage the you'd hope the vials would have been used. The logistics infrastructure is in place already.

Advertisement