Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

dzer2 wrote: »
    Me hole more important to have a bank holiday than vaccinate. It will be end of February before my dad gets it. He is very high on the vulnerable list in a nursing home. Haven't seen him since March. Guarantee there will be no vaccinations done on the weekend

I was amused at the civil service explaining on the telly their slow movement on vaccination. Already they're on the back foot,
    I know the supply will be slow but it'll be amazing if they don't cock it up

• Registered Users Posts: 29,517 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

wrangler wrote: »
    I was amused at the civil service explaining on the telly their slow movement on vaccination. Already they're on the back foot,
    I know the supply will be slow but it'll be amazing if they don't cock it up

If they can do it with the hpv vaccine during the summer they should be able to replicate it with the covid vaccine .

whelan2 wrote: »
    If they can do it with the hpv vaccine during the summer they should be able to replicate it with the covid vaccine .

Numbers of HPV vaccine is miniscule compared with this, it's important now that the civil service gets their act together, people are suffering hugely mentally and financially because of covid.
    Vaccinators not working weekends at it would be similar to you not working weekends during the calving season

Numbers of HPV vaccine is miniscule compared with this, it's important now that the civil service gets their act together, people are suffering hugely mentally and financially because of covid.
    Vaccinators not working weekends at it would be similar to you not working weekends during the calving season

When we went during the summer they were really well organised. Can't see why the same teams cant be used for covid. They were getting through a few hundred a day in the centre we went to

When we went during the summer they were really well organised. Can't see why the same teams cant be used for covid. They were getting through a few hundred a day in the centre we went to

It'll take a year and a half to vaccinate the whole population at 10000/day......wonder how many they're planning to do per day
    I forgot about the second vaccine so it'll have to be 20000/day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭dzer2

It'll take a year and a half to vaccinate the whole population at 10000/day......wonder how many they're planning to do per day
    I forgot about the second vaccine so it'll have to be 20000/day

Not a hope they will pull the finger out.

I am a front line worker repairing machines in all industries. Only my dad is vulnerable. I am travelling the length and breath of the country and the UK. We are in the lucky position as the whole family are really healthy. The missus works in the HSE and says they are poorly prepared for the incoming deluge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭alps

They've promised that if the supply of vaccine arrives as planned, everyone will have been vaccinated by the end of August...

Don't know if they've run the calculator on it, but it equates to 240,000 a week...starting now..

Just cant find the information on spec sheets or anywhere, but I'm concerned it could end up that we'll need a 6 month booster..

How will that work out if all of us are not vaccinated by June or July...?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Very much looking like a repeat of October.
    We'll close everything and introduce 5km limit in place until a minimum of March, things will even off in the next 10 days and we'll be told how well the new restrictions are working when really it's too early for anything to show up.
    Things will probably settle at about 500ish cases a day and hold at that until March when covid naturally starts to drop with the arrival of spring.
    At which point we will be very slow to reopen things properly because we will be told that we are so close to getting large amounts of the population vaccinated so hold firm that we can save every last life.

With the number of vaccinations growing, the choice will have to be made whether or not to test previously vaccinated people.
    Either we will not test them and assume they cant be infected or else the sh1t might hit the fan if the vaccine does not actually prevent infections at anywhere near the same efficacy that they prevent symptoms.

Lots of different possible scenarios but will all our great scientists and pharma companies be willing to fade into the background and be forgotten about? Unless people start to call out the scaremongering and hysteria we might never fully return to normal for a very long time

• Registered Users Posts: 24,446 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Very much looking like a repeat of October.
    We'll close everything and introduce 5km limit in place until a minimum of March, things will even off in the next 10 days and we'll be told how well the new restrictions are working when really it's too early for anything to show up.
    Things will probably settle at about 500ish cases a day and hold at that until March when covid naturally starts to drop with the arrival of spring.
    At which point we will be very slow to reopen things properly because we will be told that we are so close to getting large amounts of the population vaccinated so hold firm that we can save every last life.

With the number of vaccinations growing, the choice will have to be made whether or not to test previously vaccinated people.
    Either we will not test them and assume they cant be infected or else the sh1t might hit the fan if the vaccine does not actually prevent infections at anywhere near the same efficacy that they prevent symptoms.

Lots of different possible scenarios but will all our great scientists and pharma companies be willing to fade into the background and be forgotten about? Unless people start to call out the scaremongering and hysteria we might never fully return to normal for a very long time
    Like a novel

I read some ICU's in the UK are running out of oxygen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,979 ✭✭✭endainoz

Reggie. wrote: »
    Like a novel

Like clockwork

alps wrote: »
    They've promised that if the supply of vaccine arrives as planned, everyone will have been vaccinated by the end of August...

Don't know if they've run the calculator on it, but it equates to 240,000 a week...starting now..

Just cant find the information on spec sheets or anywhere, but I'm concerned it could end up that we'll need a 6 month booster..

How will that work out if all of us are not vaccinated by June or July...?

You would still exclude kids and pregnant women from that list, and the lunatics who won't get it no matter what. I'd be (reasonably) confident that most will have it by June. That statement may age well but we'll see.

454 in hospital today. Crazy numbers

454 in hospital today. Crazy numbers

How many of those caught it in hospital? We aren't told

How many of those caught it in hospital? We aren't told

Something like 59 admissions yesterday who I assume didn't catch it in hospital . Reading about the goings on in Rathkeale and Wexford is so annoying

Something like 59 admissions yesterday who I assume didn't catch it in hospital . Reading about the goings on in Rathkeale and Wexford is so annoying

I I wouldn't put it passed civil servants to be a little creative in their definition of "covid admission" to cover their backs. Outbreaks reported in galway and mayo hospitals recently and probably some smaller outbreaks we wont hear about either.
    Was it letterkenny hospital where they dragged their feet during the lockdown before testing everyone?
    Friends wife was in for cancer treatment, tested negative on way in and positive while in hospital. They wanted to send her home early even with the covid positive. Would make ya wonder...

Testing centre in Ardee was closed there for a few days and people were being sent to mullingar to get tested

• Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Reggie. wrote: »
    Like a novel

A subset genre, science fiction.

Water John wrote: »
    A subset genre, science fiction.

How do you see things playing out differently?

How do you see things playing out differently?

We'll have one last major lockdown. That was obvious from a couple of months ago. Major vaccination general rollout will start March and ramp up fairly quickly.
    A Level 2/3 will be maintained until late summer, by which time all who want to will have been vaccinated. More or less back to normal life next Autumn.

• Advertisement

We'll have one last major lockdown. That was obvious from a couple of months ago. Major vaccination general rollout will start March and ramp up fairly quickly.
    A Level 2/3 will be maintained until late summer, by which time all who want to will have been vaccinated. More or less back to normal life next Autumn.

We have zero data about asymptomatic transmission from previously vaccinated individuals. What if that turns out to be less than perfect?

What if the most vulnerable dont respond as well to vaccination as those in the vaccine trials?

Will trying our best be good enough or will we have to wait for next generation covid vaccines before returning to normal?

We dont know the answers to any of the above but the future is definitely not as clear as rollout the vaccine and reopen society when that is achieved if we are to be perfectly consistent with the logic that has underpinned society's response to covid to date

full level 5 lockdown now, schools not open till 11th jan

full level 5 lockdown now, schools not open till 11th jan

I'd imagine that might get extended by a few weeks too, we'll wait and see. It's a real shame that the English variant got to spread so quickly. The HSE are really worried now as it looks like their fears before Christmas have been realized.

endainoz wrote: »
    I'd imagine that might get extended by a few weeks too, we'll wait and see. It's a real shame that the English variant got to spread so quickly. The HSE are really worried now as it looks like their fears before Christmas have been realized.

With the vaccines on the horizon they probably shouldn't have lifted the restrictions........ hospitals will be under huge pressure now.

Schools will reopen on 11th as that will have allowed them an isolation period of two weeks from today.
    Personally Wrangler I would have preferred a more sober approach up to Christmas, too much contact. However would the public have stayed with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

With the vaccines on the horizon they probably shouldn't have lifted the restrictions........ hospitals will be under huge pressure now.

Hospitals are under pressure every winter, this is nothing new

Your problem is the ICU wards. You cannot arrive at a situation where the beds have to be rationed and decision made as to which patient will get it.

Admittedly they seem to have no ability to learn from mistakes from year to year but I don't think they'll have seen anything like what's coming at them now.
    A high up person in public health lives nearby by and seems under no pressure when I meet her out walking every day over christmas.
    You'd never think there was a crisis

Your problem is the ICU wards. You cannot arrive at a situation where the beds have to be rationed and decision made as to which patient will get it.

Or even draw lots for the oxygen

• Advertisement

They are rationed at some stage almost every year. The only difference is that they didn't have masses of data that isnt fully understood being generated pre covid.
    Covid has yet to spiral into the complete doomsday scenario that the models say it will anywhere in the world. Any fool can extend a line on a graph, doesn't mean that there's any real substance to it

Advertisement