Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Is there an official date for this Level 5 lockdown to end?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Is there an official date for this Level 5 lockdown to end?
    Yes, midnight the 31st of Jan but listening to the radio yesterday it is reckoned that it probably will be extended.
    https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/066ce-ireland-placed-on-full-level-5-restrictions-of-the-plan-for-living-with-covid-19/

• Registered Users Posts: 29,517 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Can't see kids going back on the 11th either

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Base price wrote: »
    Yes, midnight the 31st of Jan but listening to the radio yesterday it is reckoned that it probably will be extended.
    https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/066ce-ireland-placed-on-full-level-5-restrictions-of-the-plan-for-living-with-covid-19/

Thanks
    Was thinking same

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

They have a “best case” for the end of January for 1200 cases a day. Cant see them ending a lockdown at that stage.

More likely mid-end of Feb.

I’m dubious about schools going back as Whelan has said. Maybe just leaving certs ?? If they get pushed much out passed that it would be hard to see exams going ahead.

We’re 50/50 on sending 6th class kid back on 11th even if school’s open, possibly leaning towards keeping her at home another week amd see how it goes. Her homework is already all given out online which is handy.

Eldest is in Leaving Cert and she will go once school is open. She’s fairly worried about it, but I was saying earlier no matter if it’s exams or continuous assessment the solution is the same - study away. She reckons 80% of syllabus is covered, some teachers already in revision mode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

A lot of cases here locally. Some of the stories I've heard are just plain crazy. People waiting for results heading out partying etc. Its worse its getting folks.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Lady locally, just across the fields, very sick in bed at home, herself her sister and brother all positive, all mid to late 50’s.

Mother of a friend, in her mid 50’s hospitalised last night, positive last week but breathing difficulties now. Previously healthy, no underlying conditions, a general nurse, one would presume just viral load. She nurses abroad but came back for Christmas and tested positive on arriving home.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

_Brian wrote: »
    Lady locally, just across the fields, very sick in bed at home, herself her sister and brother all positive, all mid to late 50’s.

Mother of a friend, in her mid 50’s hospitalised last night, positive last week but breathing difficulties now. Previously healthy, no underlying conditions, a general nurse, one would presume just viral load. She nurses abroad but came back for Christmas and tested positive on arriving home.

She's done her family and those that travelled with her the same time no favours. She flew in the face of all the advice

We got a curtsy call earlier. Family who sympathised with us at the funeral last week have tested positive, all either positive or showing symptoms.
    No hand shaking or anything and we were masked in the funeral home but they stood with us for maybe 10 minutes chatting.

Should be long enough ago that we have no worries.

Due to the funeral I’ve not seen my mam over the Christmas at all, very sad about that, more so than I would have expected.

A lot of cases here locally. Some of the stories I've heard are just plain crazy. People waiting for results heading out partying etc. Its worse its getting folks.

2021 will be a write off too, wait and see

• Advertisement

It's **** like this that sicken my hole, the flu is a much more dangerous disease than covid, the fact that it's not as contagious doesn't negate that.

I've had the proper flu, not just an Irish cold. I'd still take the flu over covid, from what I hear, from people I trust. And the flu had me bedridden, and I DO mean that, for three full days over one Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Jan/Feb will be bad in terms of hospitalisations and deaths, sadly. However the first round of vaccines will dampen the severity of the virus on the most vulnerable, so numbers in hospitals should drop rapidly in March.
    You're then into major rollout of vaccines and by mid summer, the virus will be having little impact on our daily lives. Travel might still be affected.
    So, it's for everyone to stay as safe as possible over the next while.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,497 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I've had the proper flu, not just an Irish cold. I'd still take the flu over covid, from what I hear, from people I trust. And the flu had me bedridden, and I DO mean that, for three full days over one Christmas.

I've a deep suspicion there's deaths from cancer that originated from people picking up covid. They have the symptoms of covid, are tested but come back clear. But I've a deep suspicion that they had covid weeks back and it doesn't show anymore but the cause of death is attributed to cancer.

And before anyone says viruses don't cause cancer. They bloody well do. There's a multitude of causes of cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

whelan2 wrote: »
    Can't see kids going back on the 11th either

Hope not for all our sakes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

frank8211 wrote: »

Not looking to be stood down from work myself, but if the schools are remaining shut that will put severe pressure on a lot of households re childcare and the like so how does that work then? Are we to go back to the full lockdown like last March?
    As much social distancing is in place on site with us and despite wearing masks were still in very close contact with each other at some stage or another throughout the day it doesnt help that were not a bunch of locals together either i counted 6 counties from 6 of us one day and thats before we included other crews in and out during the day.
    I just cant get my head around this lockdown being called a full lockdown especially when most if the work is in Dublin and you have lads travelling there from almost everywhere in the country everyday.

Better living everyone

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

While we discuss the rights and wrongs financially of the lock downs, and whether the virus merits the restrictions on our lives and liberties, our ICUs are filling and the thin white line we depend so much on, is getting porous.

We were discussing these things while this unfolded. Amongst others.

537979.jpg

537980.jpg

Her husband, still weak after his fight with the virus, was unable to enter the crematorium.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

greysides wrote: »
    While we discuss the rights and wrongs financially of the lock downs, and whether the virus merits the restrictions on our lives and liberties, our ICUs are filling and the thin white line we depend so much on, is getting porous.

We were discussing these things while this unfolded. Amongst others.

537979.jpg

537980.jpg

Her husband, still weak after his fight with the virus, was unable to enter the crematorium.

Very sad to see those fighting on our behalf passing away. Viral load is a massive risk for all frontline staff, healthy and otherwise. Staff on covid wards daily are in a war zone with an enemy that never sleeps or rests and takes every opportunity it gets.

We owe it to these people to act responsibly.

Getting very scary now. Not knowing where the virus is. Watching people breaking restrictions etc. As for the black lives protests, wtf, in a pandemic. Daughter looking to go to halfords to get a bike for her birthday, I really don't want to go to anywhere unnecessarily. Think will buy online

Getting very scary now. Not knowing where the virus is. Watching people breaking restrictions etc. As for the black lives protests, wtf, in a pandemic. Daughter looking to go to halfords to get a bike for her birthday, I really don't want to go to anywhere unnecessarily. Think will buy online

Bike sales went bananas in the first lockdown. If your thinking gif it definitely get it done sooner rather than being disappointed.

You can do click and collect with Halfords, not sure if that includes bikes but I’d presume so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,199 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

frank8211 wrote: »

U obviously have no kids .my daughter is in primary ,teachers and principal done an outstanding job from September ,no COVID cases and all guidelines been followed kids need the structure of school and for there long term progression in life if there is COVID outbreaks there’s plans in place the scaremongering is coming from the unions and based on what you’d read on line (mostly from Facebook experts on sweet frog all).I had my daughter with me most days last March April as wife works it was manageable to a point but I wasn’t comfortable with it as too much going on ,if it had to happen in February with calving in full swing I don’t know what I’d do .11 jan may be a bit of a stretch I can see another 2 weeks been added but I do see schools reopening in late January and I’ll have no issue sending my daughter back and she will also have no issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

mahoney_j wrote: »
    U obviously have no kids .my daughter is in primary ,teachers and principal done an outstanding job from September ,no COVID cases and all guidelines been followed kids need the structure of school and for there long term progression in life if there is COVID outbreaks there’s plans in place the scaremongering is coming from the unions and based on what you’d read on line (mostly from Facebook experts on sweet frog all).I had my daughter with me most days last March April as wife works it was manageable to a point but I wasn’t comfortable with it as too much going on ,if it had to happen in February with calving in full swing I don’t know what I’d do .11 jan may be a bit of a stretch I can see another 2 weeks been added but I do see schools reopening in late January and I’ll have no issue sending my daughter back and she will also have no issue

It all depends on how the next few weeks go. While September to Christmas was good to have them back in school there were still cases in most schools I know of but it didn’t spread. If numbers stay very high I’d prefer schools didn’t go back for all concerned including myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,199 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

It all depends on how the next few weeks go. While September to Christmas was good to have them back in school there were still cases in most schools I know of but it didn’t spread. If numbers stay very high I’d prefer schools didn’t go back for all concerned including myself.

No cases in my local school and know of none locally .the numbers are going to go thru the roof for next week/10 days due to pure stupidity from certain elements of society schools are controlled environments just like gastro pubs /restaurants are but the difference is teachers /principals put in the effort to follow guidelines and cases remained v low .the other clearly didn’t .

No cases in my local school and know of none locally .the numbers are going to go thru the roof for next week/10 days due to pure stupidity from certain elements of society schools are controlled environments just like gastro pubs /restaurants are but the difference is teachers /principals put in the effort to follow guidelines and cases remained v low .the other clearly didn’t .

It's more dependent on the homes as to whether a school remains Covid free. our local school was free until first week of December and then one, now it's absolutely rampant...... just shows that if it gets in no amount of controlling will stop it.
    A friend with children in another badly affected school said that the source of the first cases didn't surprise him so obviously some family was asking for it

I think the problem now though is people showing no symptoms. Close contacts are not being tested. Until they get the figures under control a bit and people cop on how serious it is atm schools should stay closed. I would normally be the one saying they need to be in school but it's out of control now

I think the problem now though is people showing no symptoms. Close contacts are not being tested. Until they get the figures under control a bit and people cop on how serious it is atm schools should stay closed. I would normally be the one saying they need to be in school but it's out of control now

Public health were planning a strike in early Jan but I think they've just run for cover now.
    Ahigh up person in Public Health lives near here and I see her out walking everyday..... Nero fiddling while Rome burns eh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

High risk of a lot of people,teachers included, of having it picked up. And with them not testing close contacts risk is greater again of others having it unknowingly. If they are to be consistent about it it would prob be better to push the school year out the month or whatever. No online just add the month on the summer. A lot of school collections and minding after are still done by grandparents so risk is there.
    Cant agree with officials saying they were surprised. It was bound to happen with pubs opening, there are entire villages testing positive

My mother had shingles over Christmas. I do not want to leave her open to getting covid when her immune system is down. I am getting her shopping etc . I am trying to reduce any risk of contacting it in case she gets it

Are you sure there was no cases at your school because unless you know someone working there the information was only given to other children on a particular table where the close contacts were. Like I said it didn’t seem to spread in schools up to now but I see in the UK a lot more children being hospitalised this week.
    Some pubs and restaurants were excellent but not all. Likewise with parents some still don’t believe covid is actually a problem

Mooooo wrote: »
    High risk of a lot of people,teachers included, of having it picked up. And with them not testing close contacts risk is greater again of others having it unknowingly. If they are to be consistent about it it would prob be better to push the school year out the month or whatever. No online just add the month on the summer. A lot of school collections and minding after are still done by grandparents so risk is there.
    Cant agree with officials saying they were surprised. It was bound to happen with pubs opening, there are entire villages testing positive

You don’t know teachers if you think they will work a month of their holidays unfortunately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

You don’t know teachers if you think they will work a month of their holidays unfortunately

Ones I know would, unions wouldn't tho.

Advertisement