Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,979 ✭✭✭endainoz

Getting a bit serious locally here aswell. One girl in a town a couple of miles up the road brought it back from the UK with her and decided to go out before the pubs were closed, now it's rampant because of her lack of consideration.

There are surely stories like this up and down the country, admittedly I haven't been taking as many precautions as I would have been last March but that will change from now. I think we all need to get serious about this for the next couple of months again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,199 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Are you sure there was no cases at your school because unless you know someone working there the information was only given to other children on a particular table where the close contacts were. Like I said it didn’t seem to spread in schools up to now but I see in the UK a lot more children being hospitalised this week.
    Some pubs and restaurants were excellent but not all. Likewise with parents some still don’t believe covid is actually a problem

Last 2 paragraphs say it all about current situation there were a lot more pubs/restaurants flouting guidelines than sticking to them and a hell of a lot of people /parents flouting them too they bought it home kids picked it up and spread it in school setting this is not the schools fault as from my school and creche guidelines were followed to a tee just go onto Facebook daily and see the level of stupid were fighting against ,that’s before you even tackle the virus I see full scale lockdown building sites schools and all for a period of time till late January to try get us under control .restaurants /hotels can forget about it again till at least may/June based on what happens pre Christmas

Mooooo wrote: »
    Ones I know would, unions wouldn't tho.

Exactly teachers well most of them aren’t the issue it’s the unions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Are you sure there was no cases at your school because unless you know someone working there the information was only given to other children on a particular table where the close contacts were. Like I said it didn’t seem to spread in schools up to now but I see in the UK a lot more children being hospitalised this week.
    Some pubs and restaurants were excellent but not all. Likewise with parents some still don’t believe covid is actually a problem

It was much more difficult to be termed a close contact than it should have been. Wearing of masks means you are not classified as a close contact for example

• Registered Users Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Last 2 paragraphs say it all about current situation there were a lot more pubs/restaurants flouting guidelines than sticking to them and a hell of a lot of people /parents flouting them too they bought it home kids picked it up and spread it in school setting this is not the schools fault as from my school and creche guidelines were followed to a tee just go onto Facebook daily and see the level of stupid were fighting against ,that’s before you even tackle the virus I see full scale lockdown building sites schools and all for a period of time till late January to try get us under control .restaurants /hotels can forget about it again till at least may/June based on what happens pre Christmas

Just shows the irish can't be trusted when alcohol comes involved

• Advertisement

whelan2 wrote: »

Yep give an inch take a mile

Definitely, and then you have idiots like the Healy Rae's asking the merit of have to have a meal to have a drink, it's quite obvious really.

Was reading there vaccinations will be delayed for nursing home as they are finding it difficult to get nursing homes that are covid free. This is another ****show.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Heard of a big outbreak in the south of our county. A man was 90 years old and they decided to host a big birthday party for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭jaymla627

• Advertisement

jaymla627 wrote: »

I don't get the point here, we know flu can kill people. Is it dangerous to contract it for vunerable people? Yes. Is it more infectious than covid? No. Is it as widespread as Covid is in the country currently? No. It's absolutely as serious as it was last March April. The only saving grace is that vaccines will save lives of vunerable people this time.

The rest of us just need to cop on and get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

endainoz wrote: »
    I don't get the point here, we know flu can kill people. Is it dangerous to contract it for vunerable people? Yes. Is it more infectious than covid? No. Is it as widespread as Covid is in the country currently? No. It's absolutely as serious as it was last March April. The only saving grace is that vaccines will save lives of vunerable people this time.

That article is also from 2019, wonder how many of those cases were actually covid? it says flu and flu symptoms, covid has been proven to be in Europe since at least September of that year and it also mentions how the flu season came early.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Was reading there vaccinations will be delayed for nursing home as they are finding it difficult to get nursing homes that are covid free. This is another ****show.

Between lobby groups and idiots putting pressure on the government for a “meaningful Christmas” the country has gone from an exceptionally good position into a run away train. We’ve completely lost containment in the last three weeks.
    The current plan the government has in place will not contain covid quick enough. If they want to get this under control sadly a lockdown similar to early 2020 will be needed. We sold out for a few nights out drinking. Terrible decision by the government.

I’m sure the country is awash with people with data entry skills who should be in place to get the current accurate data into the system but they didn’t put that in place either.now we have a backlog of 10,000 data points not accurately represented in the figures.

I support the overall effort the government are making but individually some portions are terribly mismanaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

_Brian wrote: »
    Between lobby groups and idiots putting pressure on the government for a “meaningful Christmas” the country has gone from an exceptionally good position into a run away train. We’ve completely lost containment in the last three weeks.
    The current plan the government has in place will not contain covid quick enough. If they want to get this under control sadly a lockdown similar to early 2020 will be needed. We sold out for a few nights out drinking. Terrible decision by the government.

I’m sure the country is awash with people with data entry skills who should be in place to get the current accurate data into the system but they didn’t put that in place either.now we have a backlog of 10,000 data points not accurately represented in the figures.

I support the overall effort the government are making but individually some portions are terribly mismanaged.

Again I say, the government didn't close the country the people did, we're long enough into this for everyone to know to reduce contacts. The population deserve all the hassle now they're getting now. Is this the result of bringing up children with the sense of entitlement they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭dzer2

wrangler wrote: »
    Again I say, the government didn't close the country the people did, we're long enough into this for everyone to know to reduce contacts. The population deserve all the hassle now they're getting now. Is this the result of bringing up children with the sense of entitlement they have.

Wrangler your preaching to the converted here on this forum. I have been saying for ages we now have 2nd generation gob****es raising pure bred ones all over the country. In this forum most work for a living and have a reasonable level of cop on.
    Haven't seen my dad since March only dropped off a Christmas letter to him drafted by our youngest in school after it was in the house for 2 weeks.
    I unfortunately have to go out to work travelling the country. During the last lock down you could see it wasn't working after 2 weeks the roads were as busy as during the summer. This one won't work either as most people are banking on the vaccine already.
    Got a phone call on Stephen's day to fix a machine even though the parts couldn't be got until 29th. They rang around until they got someone to go to them, he really fcuked it up cost 1k extra on eventually.
    Not looking forward to the next 3 months, haven't had a break since last January and cant go anywhere until probably the summer

Just stay safe and at home, enough of us have to travel essentially

We actually have lost track on the daily positive Covid figures. We have a figure over 3K today, but we know they are at this point backing up.
    At 1% mortality, that's 30 deaths per day.

In NI they had 26 deaths today, equivalent in ROI would be 70+.
    That looks like peak deaths here. Hopefully will be easing off in Feb. And most vulnerable are by then vaccinated. Even one dose gives significant protection and almost eliminates deaths.
    Dr. John Campbell's analysis of one dose being used as much as possible is worth listening to. Second dose could follow in about 12 weeks.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-jqf6i5OLc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

dzer2 wrote: »
    Wrangler your preaching to the converted here on this forum. I have been saying for ages we now have 2nd generation gob****es raising pure bred ones all over the country. In this forum most work for a living and have a reasonable level of cop on.
    Haven't seen my dad since March only dropped off a Christmas letter to him drafted by our youngest in school after it was in the house for 2 weeks.
    I unfortunately have to go out to work travelling the country. During the last lock down you could see it wasn't working after 2 weeks the roads were as busy as during the summer. This one won't work either as most people are banking on the vaccine already.
    Got a phone call on Stephen's day to fix a machine even though the parts couldn't be got until 29th. They rang around until they got someone to go to them, he really fcuked it up cost 1k extra on eventually.
    Not looking forward to the next 3 months, haven't had a break since last January and cant go anywhere until probably the summer

Just stay safe and at home, enough of us have to travel essentially

I have two cousins in community nursing , one has been secunded in to the front line in the worst part of England and works near a port, she's doing testing now and she has to go on board ships if there's any sick on board and test all and she has avoided it. surely there's a lesson there. she'll be vaccinating from about the 20th, the other cousin is still out in her community even though another on her team refuses to go out of the office.
    All I'm saying is people shouldn't be blaming the government, everyone knows the solution now

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭dh1985

wrangler wrote: »

Its not just children though. Heard a good few stories about people of your own vintage acting the bollox in the last few weeks also. Unfortunately stupidity encompasses all age groups. In fact I work with a good few younger lads in their 20's and couldn't believe how responsible they had been acting up until Christmas. Then hear of men in their 60's out drinking until all hours of the morning.
    Also with the rise is there any breakdown of where they have originated. Is it the pubs and restaurants or across all sectors of society.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

dzer2 wrote: »
    I have been saying for ages we now have 2nd generation gob****es raising pure bred ones all over the country.
    IMO that is the quote of the year re Covid.

Base price wrote: »
    IMO that is the quote of the year re Covid.

Might be better to remember those who went made great family sacrafices.

• Advertisement

https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/casesinireland/epidemiologyofcovid-19inireland/june2020/COVID-19_Daily_epidemiology_report_(NPHET)_16062020_%20v1%20website.pdf

It was pretty harmless back then too, look at the data, the only area of the entire population under any threat is over 65’s with serious underlying health conditions, and at that its not till you get to the over 75 age groups that you experience big numbers, that was in no small part to Tony putting Covid positive patients into Nursing homes from hospitals at the time as doomsday was coming, I reckon the suicide figures for 2020 in the age demographic of under. 65’s will be multiples of the Covid death rate but you won’t see that talked about by mainstream media

https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/casesinireland/epidemiologyofcovid-19inireland/june2020/COVID-19_Daily_epidemiology_report_(NPHET)_16062020_%20v1%20website.pdf

It was pretty harmless back then too, look at the data, the only area of the entire population under any threat is over 65’s with serious underlying health conditions, and at that its not till you get to the over 75 age groups that you experience big numbers, that was in no small part to Tony putting Covid positive patients into Nursing homes from hospitals at the time as doomsday was coming, I reckon the suicide figures for 2020 in the age demographic of under. 65’s will be multiples of the Covid death rate but you won’t see that talked about by mainstream media

I sincerely hope someone close to you dosent die from it. If you have proof of suicide rates, please feel free to share. If you don't, all you have is idle speculation and your opinion on an anonymous thread holds little weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,446 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I sincerely hope someone close to you dosent die from it. If you have proof of suicide rates, please feel free to share. If you don't, all you have is idle speculation and your opinion on an anonymous thread holds little weight.

Suicide rates cannot be calculated for 2020 due to the restrictions.

Its coroners that call suicides not doctors and the process takes upto 6 months at least.

By the time any backlog is cleared for 2020 the pandemic will be finished but at that point it would be too late for any people that may commit suicide during that time period.

I myself do believe that the suicide rate will have risen substantially due to the restrictions. Now if it's more deaths than covid or not remains to be seen.

https://www.thejournal.ie/suicide-ireland-august-claim-33-deaths-factcheck-5192698-Sep2020/

As reggie said they won’t be available till next year, it’s facts I’m stating not opinion looking at the latest available data up to December 11 the average median age of deaths due to Covid in Ireland is 83, the total number of deaths for all age groups under 65 is around 250 people, of all the antidotes of healthy people succumbing to Covid its actually a tiny % of the population, to be honest I’d be more worried about friends our family dying in a car crash then Covid as statistical it’s a couple of 100% more probable....
    The gas thing is if Covid 19 had hit the world in a pre internet world before 1st world countries went alt right and pandered to the extreme left Covid 19 would of been a non-event

'The gas thing is if Covid 19 had hit the world in a pre internet world before 1st world countries went alt right and pandered to the extreme left Covid 19 would of been a non-event' Jam
    Not sure what that means? Is it the right or the left or both?
    My personal opinion is that I cannot say if there has been a rise or drop in suicide. Now, oddly enough, against some belief I am of the opinion that the mental health of many actually improved. Slower pace of life and refocus on important things in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

As reggie said they won’t be available till next year, it’s facts I’m stating not opinion looking at the latest available data up to December 11 the average median age of deaths due to Covid in Ireland is 83, the total number of deaths for all age groups under 65 is around 250 people, of all the antidotes of healthy people succumbing to Covid its actually a tiny % of the population, to be honest I’d be more worried about friends our family dying in a car crash then Covid as statistical it’s a couple of 100% more probable....
    The gas thing is if Covid 19 had hit the world in a pre internet world before 1st world countries went alt right and pandered to the extreme left Covid 19 would of been a non-event

Almost every country are handling it in a similar way. Are they all wrong

Almost every country are handling it in a similar way. Are they all wrong

The only real difference ATM is the UK, going for one dose to be followed by a second after 11/12 weeks. I think that option is one we should consider once vaccines are shipping regularly. Say we use two shots, as per initial plan in Jan and Feb. Nursing homes and hospitals done. Then a massive 10 week vaccination campaign, with one dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

What difference does it make what the median age is?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Was squeezing weanlings for a friend yesterday and dosing sheep with him and he just text me there now that he thinks his misses has it. An awful lot of cases locally around here the last two days.

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »
    The only real difference ATM is the UK, going for one dose to be followed by a second after 11/12 weeks. I think that option is one we should consider once vaccines are shipping regularly. Say we use two shots, as per initial plan in Jan and Feb. Nursing homes and hospitals done. Then a massive 10 week vaccination campaign, with one dose.

The problem is though they cant do the nursing homes if there's cases in there. Getting hard to get homes with no confirmed or suspect cases atm

Advertisement