Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,685 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Neddyusa wrote: »
    What's the gist of what she was saying?

The vaccine data is clear cannot be given to anyone incubating covid or covid positive. Any nursing home with covid positive patients and staff, all patients will be considered close contacts etc and could be incubating. Vaccination teams would need 2 doses
    Nursing homes are heading for crisis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Hard know right from wrong re the govts vaccination plan ,pre Xmas with COVID under control going first with nursing homes and health care is a no brainier ,way it is now with it running they hospital and nursing home settings should we not be going out and tackling the general public ???ive a deep fear of needles since youth but right now I’d do whatever I could to get it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

whelan2 wrote: »
    The vaccine data is clear cannot be given to anyone incubating covid or covid positive. Any nursing home with covid positive patients and staff, all patients will be considered close contacts etc and could be incubating. Vaccination teams would need 2 doses

That's terrible, if true, the vaccine is worthless.

The people who really need the vaccine cannot get it!
    Hospitals as well as nursing homes then too?

We'll all have herd immunity and Covid will be a thing of the past before ever the vaccine can be administered in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Hard know right from wrong re the govts vaccination plan ,pre Xmas with COVID under control going first with nursing homes and health care is a no brainier ,way it is now with it running they hospital and nursing home settings should we not be going out and tackling the general public ???ive a deep fear of needles since youth but right now I’d do whatever I could to get it

Problem is the current vaccine doesn't stop you getting the virus or spreading it. Only stops you getting sick. Therefore it's of no value to the general population - only the at risk and elderly.

Neddyusa wrote: »
    Problem is the current vaccine doesn't stop you getting the virus or spreading it. Only stops you getting sick. Therefore it's of no value to the general population - only the at risk and elderly.

Open to correction but if I’m vaccinated with the 2 shots that means I’m covered and won’t spread it .of what u say is true why would anyone get it .Facebook is full of this type of crap every day from lads with degrees from some unknown college ....I haven’t heard what u outlined above

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Water John wrote: »
    'Now, oddly enough, against some belief I am of the opinion that the mental health of many actually improved. Slower pace of life and refocus on important things in life.

Certainly the case with me. Life has slowed a lot due to WFH. More time with kids and family and half of the rushing around that I used to be doing.

The flip side would be those confined to apartments/small houses in cities trying to entertain young kids at day. That would not be easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,599 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It’s going to be a mess so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭Probes

Open to correction but if I’m vaccinated with the 2 shots that means I’m covered and won’t spread it .of what u say is true why would anyone get it .Facebook is full of this type of crap every day from lads with degrees from some unknown college ....I haven’t heard what u outlined above

The truth is that we don't know if the vaccine stops transmission although it likely does have an effect. You take the vaccine so you don't get sick, don't get hospitalised and free up the health system.

Probes wrote: »
    The truth is that we don't know if the vaccine stops transmission although it likely does have an effect. You take the vaccine so you don't get sick, don't get hospitalised and free up the health system.

And I’m pretty sure it also stops u spreading it to someone else if it doesn’t why bother

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

I know they say construction is essential but should it close. Lads coming back from abroad after the holidays and a good few coming across the border to work. Surely everyone wont be wearing masks and practicing social distancing on the sites

Apparently CIF lobbied for it to be deemed essentisl during the first lockdown so it wont shut up shop now because of that.
    Last thing i want is to be out of work but i just cant see how its allowed stay going at the same time. Just did a quick count in my head what lads are more likely to be in the yard tomorrow are comimg from 8 different counties, and thats from about 10 of us. Thats before trucks coming in and out and the staff from the client walking around too
    We havent had a case yet in our yard but have had a few tests all the same for a few doubtfuls i was tested myself even at one stage.
    All the measures in place like staggered breaks and one man to each vehicle are all grand in theory but the problem i found with staggered breaks was it goes against the company policy of never working on youre own. One body to each vehicle is grand if were working at base but if im being sent off to Mayo for the day its a pain bringing my own car and using my own diesel when theres a company van driving the same route as me. One young lad doesnt drive and gets a lift each morning in fairness he hasnt made the effort to get the test done but he might not be allowed travel to work either niw with these new restrictions in place, i do know of one apprentice who must have missed 6 months this year between the first lockdown and then the lads he worked with refusing to give him a lift during the level 5 lockdowns recently.

Better living everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,685 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

673 hospital confirmed cases today.

And I’m pretty sure it also stops u spreading it to someone else if it doesn’t why bother

Give Pfizer a call and let them know please, they don't seem sure themselves.

Apparently CIF lobbied for it to be deemed essentisl during the first lockdown so it wont shut up shop now because of that.
    Last thing i want is to be out of work but i just cant see how its allowed stay going at the same time. Just did a quick count in my head what lads are more likely to be in the yard tomorrow are comimg from 8 different counties, and thats from about 10 of us. Thats before trucks coming in and out and the staff from the client walking around too
    We havent had a case yet in our yard but have had a few tests all the same for a few doubtfuls i was tested myself even at one stage.
    All the measures in place like staggered breaks and one man to each vehicle are all grand in theory but the problem i found with staggered breaks was it goes against the company policy of never working on youre own. One body to each vehicle is grand if were working at base but if im being sent off to Mayo for the day its a pain bringing my own car and using my own diesel when theres a company van driving the same route as me. One young lad doesnt drive and gets a lift each morning in fairness he hasnt made the effort to get the test done but he might not be allowed travel to work either niw with these new restrictions in place, i do know of one apprentice who must have missed 6 months this year between the first lockdown and then the lads he worked with refusing to give him a lift during the level 5 lockdowns recently.

I'm on construction sites quite often, I've generally found the Covid rules aren't particularly well observed. Particularly noisy sites where people stand close to talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4037

Have a read of that.
    We dont know if the vaccines will stop transmission, impact hospitalization figures or impact covid deaths. What the trials were set up to find out was does vaccination reduce symptoms. Anything else of what covid vaccines can achieve is speculation not backed up by data

I'm on construction sites quite often, I've generally found the Covid rules aren't particularly well observed. Particularly noisy sites where people stand close to talk.

Its fair to say we only got half serious in the last month with masks and the like but other than that it was often said "sure look if one of us gets it well all get it lads" as there was no rules followed whatsoever. Could be different this month.
    Also it was visors we had to wear when work first startsd back with us and up until October time we were still relying on them, despite it coming out they were innefective in controlling the spread on there own.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,302 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Unfortunately I don’t see the schools opening in January if the powers that be have any value in public health.

This online learning is suited to a tiny fraction of people and even at that, nobody will really know until after a LC.

Local village had a biggish out break due to 20 year olds going to house parties.

It has the whole place on tender hooks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Alot of outbreaks here locally as well now. Whole families including elderly parents getting it. Complete disaster if you ask me and all to do with large family get togethers and people coming home from abroad from what I hear. People taking risks for the sake of one day of the year.

Nurses and other front line staff dealing with covid should be the first to get vaccinated in my opinion. Friend told me the other day wife was on duty and some lad with covid came in and started spitting at the nurses cause he wouldn't put on a mask.

Wouldn't blame the guards for not breaking up protests or house parties, would you take the risk for the money they are being paid?

NcdJd wrote: »
    Alot of outbreaks here locally as well now. Whole families including elderly parents getting it. Complete disaster if you ask me and all to do with large family get togethers and people coming home from abroad from what I hear. People taking risks for the sake of one day of the year.

Nurses and other front line staff dealing with covid should be the first to get vaccinated in my opinion. Friend told me the other day wife was on duty and some lad with covid came in and started spitting at the nurses cause he wouldn't put on a mask.

Wouldn't blame the guards for not breaking up protests or house parties, would you take the risk for the money they are being paid?

Regards the protests if they want to act like there in America treat them like there in America.

Better living everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Regards the protests if they want to act like there in America treat them like there in America.

A tank of slurry and a rain gun wouldn't go amiss in these situations Carrolls!

Edit: "You have 1 minute to disperse from this area. Failure to comply will result in the use of crowd dispersal fluid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,198 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Why would you worry as long as you didn't get it as bad yourself...... every man for himself now. A lot have the same attitude even before the vaccine and it's the reason we're where we are now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

wrangler wrote: »
    Why would you worry as long as you didn't get it as bad yourself...... every man for himself now. A lot have the same attitude even before the vaccine and it's the reason we're where we are now

Jaysus wrangler you would be handy during a zombie apocalypse :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,198 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Reggie. wrote: »
    Jaysus wrangler you would be handy during a zombie apocalypse :D

There's no excuse for whats going on now, people let their families come home to spread this going from house to house, they went shopping for christmas presents which to me is irresponsible.

I know they say construction is essential but should it close. Lads coming back from abroad after the holidays and a good few coming across the border to work. Surely everyone wont be wearing masks and practicing social distancing on the sites

Just been told were getting a DIY antigen test in the morning passed in through the car window to us and wait and see how it goes, poaitives sent away for HSE test snd negatives allowed work away.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭dzer2

Just been told were getting a DIY antigen test in the morning passed in through the car window to us and wait and see how it goes, poaitives sent away for HSE test snd negatives allowed work away.

Young lad being tested tomorrow morning results by afternoon if alls clear then off to work on Tuesday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,599 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

At least test results are happening swift enough.

Friend tested yesterday afternoon in Cavan and negative result by lunchtime today.

Outbreaks in both Monaghan & Cavan hospitals now.

Nearly 5000 cases today.

See Monaghan has an incidence rate of more than 1000 per 100k

dzer2 wrote: »
    Young lad being tested tomorrow morning results by afternoon if alls clear then off to work on Tuesday

20 minute wait is all it takes for ours.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭dzer2

20 minute wait is all it takes for ours.

This will be definite no need for another test. If your positive, your positive

If one was tested positive, and felt no ill effects, can you farm away as long as you're meeting no one else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,586 ✭✭✭✭Water John

If one was tested positive, and felt no ill effects, can you farm away as long as you're meeting no one else?

Yes, your just lucky. About 17/20% are asymptomatic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

If your doing exactly just that, who in the name of god would be stopping you.

Advertisement