Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,446 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

wrangler wrote: »
    Why would you worry as long as you didn't get it as bad yourself...... every man for himself now. A lot have the same attitude even before the vaccine and it's the reason we're where we are now

Jaysus wrangler you would be handy during a zombie apocalypse :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Reggie. wrote: »
    Jaysus wrangler you would be handy during a zombie apocalypse :D

There's no excuse for whats going on now, people let their families come home to spread this going from house to house, they went shopping for christmas presents which to me is irresponsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

whelan2 wrote: »
    I know they say construction is essential but should it close. Lads coming back from abroad after the holidays and a good few coming across the border to work. Surely everyone wont be wearing masks and practicing social distancing on the sites

Just been told were getting a DIY antigen test in the morning passed in through the car window to us and wait and see how it goes, poaitives sent away for HSE test snd negatives allowed work away.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭dzer2

Just been told were getting a DIY antigen test in the morning passed in through the car window to us and wait and see how it goes, poaitives sent away for HSE test snd negatives allowed work away.

Young lad being tested tomorrow morning results by afternoon if alls clear then off to work on Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

At least test results are happening swift enough.

Friend tested yesterday afternoon in Cavan and negative result by lunchtime today.

Outbreaks in both Monaghan & Cavan hospitals now.

Nearly 5000 cases today.

See Monaghan has an incidence rate of more than 1000 per 100k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

dzer2 wrote: »
    Young lad being tested tomorrow morning results by afternoon if alls clear then off to work on Tuesday

20 minute wait is all it takes for ours.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭dzer2

20 minute wait is all it takes for ours.

This will be definite no need for another test. If your positive, your positive

If one was tested positive, and felt no ill effects, can you farm away as long as you're meeting no one else?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

If one was tested positive, and felt no ill effects, can you farm away as long as you're meeting no one else?

Yes, your just lucky. About 17/20% are asymptomatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

If your doing exactly just that, who in the name of god would be stopping you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

I'm sure if you lived on farm and didn't have to travel outside of farm or meet nobody outside of your house it would work. But if you had to leave it would be best to get someone to do it.
    Even if you don't meet anyone face to face. You would be the talk of the town if seen out after testing positive. I know if it was me I would stay inside the gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,446 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Under pressure HSE may have to stop offering Covid-19 testing to people who have symptoms

https://www.independent.ie/news/under-pressure-hse-may-have-to-stop-offering-covid-19-testing-to-people-who-have-symptoms-39927133.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Water John wrote: »

Thought that was 20% are symptomatic?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

No, over 4 out of 5 have symptoms. If it was the opposite, track and trace would be a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Reggie. wrote: »

Same as first wave when people with one symptom were told to isolate and only people with two symptoms were tested.

We absolutely must keep whatever capacity we have for front line workers to keep hospitals going. Even household family members of frontline workers need to be prioritised as otherwise your holding off workers with them.

We’re basically back into wartime triage now because off poor governance. It’s abizmal performance.

Putting Donnelly in charge of health was madness, he’s a total lightweight.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Thought that was 20% are symptomatic?

WHO:
    For COVID-19, data to date suggest that 80% of infections are mild or asymptomatic, 15% are severe infection, requiring oxygen and 5% are critical infections, requiring ventilation.Mar 6, 2020

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/20-percent-of-people-with-covid-19-are-asymptomatic-but-can-spread-the-disease
    Researchers found an estimated 20 percent of people with an infection with the new coronavirus remain symptom-free.

Same study states:
    Haseltine warns that asymptomatic infections could be as infectious as serious cases of disease.

Yet, a study from Wuhan found that asymptomatic carriers didn't spread the disease.
    https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4851 Published 21 December 2020

Quotes:
    A city-wide prevalence study of almost 10 million people in Wuhan found no evidence of asymptomatic transmission

And also stated:
    Earlier estimates that 80% of infections are asymptomatic were too high and have since been revised down to between 17% and 20% of people with infections.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

_Brian wrote: »
    Same as first wave when people with one symptom were told to isolate and only people with two symptoms were tested.

We absolutely must keep whatever capacity we have for front line workers to keep hospitals going. Even household family members of frontline workers need to be prioritised as otherwise your holding off workers with them.

We’re basically back into wartime triage now because off poor governance. It’s abizmal performance.

Tbh the population is as much if not more at fault. One minister isn't going to solve the hse or health in one term not a mind year. A lot of how some of them come across is as much to do with optics as anything else. People didn't listen and now here we are

• Registered Users Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Very little communication from the government apart from Eamon Ryan today. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

No doubt the government have been too lightweight with dealing with this but there is personel responsibility in this as well.

Unfortunately the spanners that flout rules will continue to flout them even if we went to level 20. And that is where the government should have been stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Ultimately it has never made sense to carry out testing as we've been doing anyway.
    Test a random subset of the population or a subset of those who have symptoms and work back then to give population estimates.
    Frees up however much testing capacity you want and could give better quality data to base decisions on if done right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

No doubt the government have been too lightweight with dealing with this but there is personel responsibility in this as well.

Unfortunately the spanners that flout rules will continue to flout them even if we went to level 20. And that is where the government should have been stronger.

They'd have to make the guards do their job and that wouldn't happen.
    We're like kids in schoolthat are grounded because of one idiot....or is it Covidiot is the term

• Registered Users Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

wrangler wrote: »
    They'd have to make the guards do their job and that wouldn't happen.
    We're like kids in schoolthat are grounded because of one idiot....or is it Covidiot is the term

Illegal shebeen found in kildare the other day, stupid protests going on over the lad shot by guards, people out shopping the sales. Non essential shops staying open.....some people can't be told

Water John wrote: »

Thankfully I don't have it, it was just a question as I'm a one man band. When the young lad was tested twice , I asked out doctor and he said it was fine as long as I genuinely met no one, which is how it is.

jimini0 wrote: »
    You would be the talk of the town

I can't imagine anything I'd care less about than the local nothing to do and all day to do it's.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I can't imagine anything I'd care less about than the local nothing to do and all day to do it's.

+1 on this, anyone that will hold a grudge against you for continuing to makes ends meet during what is an increasingly stressful time isn't the sort of person who's opinions I place much value upon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

Normally I couldn't give 2 fxxks what people say but we are in different times. I meant that people would be saying Mr herdquitter testing positive out driving around and not isolating in his house like he is supposed to do. The guidelines state you must self isolate in your room.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,199 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Mooooo wrote: »
    Tbh the population is as much if not more at fault. One minister isn't going to solve the hse or health in one term not a mind year. A lot of how some of them come across is as much to do with optics as anything else. People didn't listen and now here we are

100% agree and it’s a harsh reality for some to accept ,the govt and nephet set out clear guidelines for us to follow ,there not that hard to do .when we’re forced into lockdown. By the govt because certain elements of society didn’t bother or got too lax they work but as soon as we’re given some freedom the wheels come off and that’s down to us no one else

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

+1 on this, anyone that will hold a grudge against you for continuing to makes ends meet during what is an increasingly stressful time isn't the sort of person who's opinions I place much value upon.

Well - there is a vast difference between making ends meet and ignoring the rules cos you can’t be arsed staying at home...

Surely most people could quarantine for 2 weeks, and ask others to help you out so you don’t have to be out and about?

Maybe if someone had a genuine reason to be out, and couldn’t get someone else to go for them, then maybe...

But if someone tested positive and decided to ignore the requested rules and isolation period, I think this is just acting the bollox and should be called out as such...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Well - there is a vast difference between making ends meet and ignoring the rules cos you can’t be arsed staying at home...

Surely most people could quarantine for 2 weeks, and ask others to help you out so you don’t have to be out and about?

Maybe if someone had a genuine reason to be out, and couldn’t get someone else to go for them, then maybe...

But if someone tested positive and decided to ignore the requested rules and isolation period, I think this is just acting the bollox and should be called out as such...

Of course there's a difference and any reasonably competent individual should be able to see that of there own accord. However not everyone can afford to spend 2 weeks in the one room due to commitments with livestock ect and provided there not mixing with others and take the required and reasonable precautions I don't see the problem with them doing there daily tasks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

A lot of cases here locally. Some of the stories I've heard are just plain crazy. People waiting for results heading out partying etc. Its worse its getting folks.

Just found out a lot of the contacts of these cases have it now too. Sister says that a work colleague's wife has it too. So that could have exposed all of us here via her.
    Stay safe folks.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Advertisement