Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking my non EU wife to Ireland

• 08-03-2020 9:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hello everyone,
    I do hope that I have posted in the correct place, I have searched in the tab provided for a relative post but nothing seems to relate to my problem.

I am currently in Cambodia and in the process of getting married to my Khmer/Cambodian girlfriend of 2 years. We are going through the long and expensive process of getting married here. We are doing everything correctly in regards to getting legally married in Cambodia. ( I know of a few people who got married but it is not recognized internationally)

I am seeking information from someone who knows how I can take my wife (once we get married) to live with me in Ireland. I do know all the information is available on the INIS website but it is just so confusing as every person is different. I do have plans on getting the appropriate Lawyer to help me out. If anyone can recommend one around the Donegal, Kildare, Dublin area that would be great.

I will tell you a little about myself:
    I am a 24 year old male Irish citizen, from 2015-2018 I worked in Australia, From 2018- May 2019 I worked in Cambodia. I left Cambodia because my lifestyle habits took a big effect on my health, therefore I had to leave my girlfriend behind and just sort my life out.
    Since I left Cambodia until last month I worked as a mechanic in Ireland, I worked every day since May last year and was able to save 15,000 euro, Unfortunately all of my money will be gone by the time I get married and I will be starting from scratch again. I do know this will affect me taking my wife to Ireland as my savings are not good.

Since I have met my partner I have changed my life completely and the only thing I look forward to is being with her. My partner is a Mathematics teacher in her hometown, she works very hard and only earns 300 US dollars per month. She lives with her parents and helps them with their fish business as much as she can and contributes some of her salary to them.

If anyone could help me, I would greatly appreciate it.
    John
    PS, Cambodia is a visa required country

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

If it's a long and expensive process to get married over there, and you are planning on moving here to live, there then why don't you get married in Ireland? My wife got her stamp 4 the week after getting married and was incredibly easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 john413

Hello 8-10,
    Is your wife from Cambodia?
    We are getting married in Cambodia because it means so much to her family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭listermint

john413 wrote: »
    Hello 8-10,

You could have come back and done that anytime for a holiday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

john413 wrote: »
    Hello 8-10,

No, and everybody's situation is different when you get to the details so wouldn't want to talk about anything too specific. But in general when we looked into it, it was much easier to get married in Ireland given that's where we wanted to later reside.

Could you do 2 ceremonies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

You and your future wife will start a common life from scratch in Ireland.
    Getting married in Cambodia will cost all your savings (that you'll need to sort out your wife's situation here in Ireland).
    You'll be married, sure but you'll have no money to fall back on if something wrong happens.
    In my opinion, get married here, then there would no need to get the marriage recognised. Get your life started here in Ireland.
    Then get married in Cambodia, hell, you'll be able to afford a bigger party anyway :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 john413

Hello Listermint,
    Do you mean I could of taken my girlfriend for a holiday to Ireland and just get married?
    The problem for the Khmer citizens (as far as I am told) is that their government will not issue them a certificate of no Impediency/ single status.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭XsApollo

How can you get married in ireland if she not able to get in to the country?
    Not being smart :-)
    Genuine question out of interest for myself.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Mod note:

Hi OP, unfortunately this isnt a politicial discussion each forum on boards has a different topic amd charter with rules etc.

There is a Legal Discussion forum, but they dont provide legal advice, they only discuss the law generally or hypothetical situations.

You might find the information easier to understand on citizeninformation.ie rather than the INIS website:

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/returning_to_ireland/residency_and_citizenship/returning_to_ireland_with_your_non_eea_spouse.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement