Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

inisboffin wrote: »
    Does anyone know if
    a) hotels will stay open
    b) their restaurants will just serve residents / public
    c) take aways or any restaurants open? Even to take food out.

Asking for someone not on boards.

I know of one hotel that is closing to public and just serving residents. Assume the rest will follow suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I know of one hotel that is closing to public and just serving residents. Assume the rest will follow suit.

Would you mind PM'ing me what hotel? It's to do with a family matter for the person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

The people of Wuhan stood up when it mattered and provided free lift services to the health care workers. They also provided delivery of medicine and groceries to those who could not leave their houses or in isolation.

I could see the same happening here. Simon Harris said the government are looking into ways people can help withiut getting in the way of key services so I'll keep an eye out and see if I can be any help and I'm sure there will be loads more offering help.

I would like to help out in any way I can. It would be great if people could post here with details of any help needed.

Would you mind PM'ing me what hotel? It's to do with a family matter for the person.

Your inbox is full, won't let me pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

And if this happens, will you be accepting my monthly bus ticket? Or expecting me to pay through the nose for your service?

I'm lucky - my industry isn't essential. When I'm told to stay home, I will.

But many people (healthcare, food distribution and retail, fuel, rubbish collection, water supply) will still NEED to get to work. Preventing them from doing so, unless they share a confined space with a taxi-driver, would be uttely stupid.

In fairness, the bile that comes out of SOME taxi drivers is worse than any Coronavirus.
    There was a lad moaning about his loss of airport runs on the radio the other day who nearly crashed the car when he was asked if he would drop his fares for other people who are compromised due to the ongoing situation.
    (Before anyone asks, I know the drivers don't set the MAXIMUM fare but it's at their discretion to charge less if they wish. I also know the price of fuel has dropped recently. They are also in the best position possible to shop around for the cheapest fuel).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Your inbox is full, won't let me pm.

Oh sorry I’ll try to fix that thanks

Oh sorry I’ll try to fix that thanks

PM sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

Most would still be open and unfortunately some of them are basically the front line of attack against the virus. About 40% of the world ventilators are made in Galway.

I wonder if there'll be a push in the coming days for some line in other factories to be converted to increase production of ventilators given demand will be enormous, along with a recruitment drive for those lines. In France LMVH are converting a fragrance factory to manufacture alcohol hand gel.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

In fairness, the bile that comes out of SOME taxi drivers is worse than any Coronavirus.
    There was a lad moaning about his loss of airport runs on the radio the other day who nearly crashed the car when he was asked if he would drop his fares for other people who are compromised due to the ongoing situation.
    (Before anyone asks, I know the drivers don't set the MAXIMUM fare but it's at their discretion to charge less if they wish. I also know the price of fuel has dropped recently. They are also in the best position possible to shop around for the cheapest fuel).
    I predict a CAPS littered reply in your near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

It's medtronic in mervue that makes ventilators. Medtronic in parkmore make coranary items (stents, balloons etc)
    Maybe the mervue plant is at 100% production but the parkmore site can't just decide to make ventilation devices. At best operators maybe transferred to mervue but training and getting people in position to work on assembly lines can take weeks.
    Unless there's a massive stock pile of both finished product (which I doubt) and raw material (maybe 2 weeks in store and on site) it's pointless to assume they will up production significantly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Mr. Waffle have a Go Fund Me running to support healthcare workers in the hospital. Seems some folk wanted to buy some coffee for workers, and it steamrolled.

From an expectation of €500, they have €5600 donated this morning, which is incredible.

Multi purpose here: keeps the hospitality staff working, and keeps the healthcare workers fed and supported by the community.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-us-refuel-our-local-healthcare-workers?fbclid=IwAR2TKkYbNFT3r3o2rr0zzGVZ08Um6FU9wbYqSFJ_YNuSeoA3OpC4onqz80s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

Quiet morning in town...

505817.jpg

I know I have plenty of heated debates with many on the Galway forum but I would like to say that I really do hope everyone can get thorough this ok, especially those with elderly or at risk relatives and/or have job/financial issues.

My Parents and in-laws all in their 60’s and 70’s along with a grandmother in her 90’s and I am very concerned about the whole thing at this stage and keeping away from them all for the next while while trying to convince them all to stay at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

Parents and in-laws all in their 60’s and 70’s

I know of several lads really putting the effort in to avoid the in-laws at all costs. Also apparently there's a bad virus doing the rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Since the discussions about this virus is in most forums the admins have created a Coronavirus Directory (should you want to find specific info on something)
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1863

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

https://www.gofundme.com/f/feed-the-heroes

Page set up to help feed front line medical staff. Heard it on radio earlier. Nice idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

hoody wrote: »
    I wonder if there'll be a push in the coming days for some line in other factories to be converted to increase production of ventilators given demand will be enormous, along with a recruitment drive for those lines

I've seen this type of stuff on twitter. My initial reaction is how will they get FDA approval and even if they could how will they get all the extra parts considering most of the world is only semi working

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

There’s a lad down willians street now coughing , spitting on the street while handing out flyers.

I’m having to tell customers to use anti bac or wash a hands as they keep sneezing and coughing.

After all people’s good efforts I’m astounded by the few who pretend it’s all good- they’ll be the reason this spreads- I don’t want panic but consideration & a bit of cop on would be good please!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,657 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

ArtyC wrote: »
    There’s a lad down willians street now coughing , spitting on the street while handing out flyers.

Without knowing for sure they are the same people, but I think the same man came off a bus yesterday in Eyre Square and coughed up a big bit of phlegm and spat it out right in front of him & me without a care in the world.
    He's usually handing out flyers around the general shop street area. What an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Do you know what/where are the flyers for? Not that you would take one off him I suppose....
    If its for a Galway business might be expensive fixed fine of €200:
    "The distribution of advertising flyers in the street in Galway City is prohibited, as is the placing of advertising leaflets on car windscreens."

https://www.galwaycity.ie/litter-illegal-dumping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Do you know what/where are the flyers for? Not that you would take one off him I suppose....
    If its for a Galway business might be expensive fixed fine of €200:
    "The distribution of advertising flyers in the street in Galway City is prohibited, as is the placing of advertising leaflets on car windscreens."

https://www.galwaycity.ie/litter-illegal-dumping

I ran very fast and far away sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

If its the normal lad its religious stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

If its the normal lad its religious stuff

Yup that's what he's always peddling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭amandstu

What is this 15,000 figure of cases in Ireland by the end of the month according to Varadkar?

That doesn't seem correct to me if ,as he predicts we have a daily increase of about a third between now and then. And our base is about 50 daily at the moment.

Spain has about 11,000 now and is 10 times bigger than Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Just check reliable news sources for that type of info. Let's keep this Galway-centric rather than discussing Varadkar or the gov't approach to the crisis.
    Dr Tony Holohan said early modelling indicates we should expect 78 new cases today, 109 cases on Wednesday and a daily number of 355 cases by Sunday.

The government expects around 15,000 cases in Ireland by the end of the month.

Source: https://www.thejournal.ie/coronavirus-main-points-today-5048778-Mar2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭amandstu

Just check reliable news sources for that type of info. Let's keep this Galway-centric rather than discussing Varadkar or the gov't approach to the crisis.
    Thanks,yes there are discussions on that site.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

Boojum have announced they are still open for in-store dining. Not a move going down well judging by the responses on Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Boojum have announced they are still open for in-store dining. Not a move going down well judging by the responses on Facebook.

There are still a some tourists in town. Perhaps some already cannot head home to their own countries.

They have to be fed. As do emergency and health-services workers, and habitual street people who simply will not stay at home.

If ALL restaurants close, we would have a different kind of crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

So long as they are enforcing social distancing then I see no issue. Food is still a necessity afterall.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

I see from FB response the owner of dough bros is very vocal against his competition

Advertisement