Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

I agree and I'd be worried about the return to campus accommodation when you consider the campus outbreaks in Dundee and Glasgow. If we do move to a nationwide phase three as has been speculated I think NUIG will have to minimise face to face teaching like Dublin universities have done.

Who is solidly speculating about Level 3 nationwide? I know it has not been ruled out, but I've yet to see solid commentary suggesting its on the table at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Who is solidly speculating about Level 3 nationwide? I know it has not been ruled out, but I've yet to see solid commentary suggesting its on the table at the moment?

It has been speculated about by Anthony Staines, Prof of Public Health at DCU. However, I think any initial move to phase three for counties outside Dublin will initially be localised to hotspots such as Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

It has been speculated about by Anthony Staines, Prof of Public Health at DCU. However, I think any initial move to phase three for counties outside Dublin will initially be localised to hotspots such as Donegal.

Is Prof Staines on NPHET? Does he hold any way on decision making? If not, I'm struggling to care what he has to say.

I'm fed up of newspapers running articles from this expert or that expert calling for this or that or those measures over there. They do nothing to help. They drive clicks to their sites, they cause discussion and chatter but moreover they increase anxiety and stress.

The only people I want to hear from are the decision makers: NPHET and Cabinet.

Whilst I of course appreciate we have various experts and professors and doctors and so on, the constant stream of click baiting articles is tiresome and does not help anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Micheal Martin mentioned Galway amoung 4 others on the lunchtime news as new areas of concern in the spread of Covid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Micheal Martin mentioned Galway amoung 4 others on the lunchtime news as new areas of concern in the spread of Covid.

It's little surprise. Complacency set in ages ago with a lot of people. I think at this stage and I hate to say it but another lockdown is the way forward. I think we are now at a point where we were at back in March. Where Leo asked us not to form is crowds and gatherings and then what emerged the following weekend were scenes of large crowds. The temple bar scenes come to mind. We are now back at that point where some people couldnt care less about others when it comes to this virus and the spread of this virus.

If not a lockdown. Heavy penalties and fines for people breaking isolating guidelines is needed. The threat of a 10 grand fine will get a lot of people to comply. I do think a sizable portion of the population is following the guidelines but another part of the population don't care and its these 'me-feiners' that's ruining it for others.

I don't get the government is quick to implement closures of businesses, wrecking livelihoods but they are not as quick to target people breaking the guidelines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

in ballybane joyces there a good few students buying slabs.
    see outbreaks where all have IT and are back about three weeks.hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 25,955 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

owlbethere wrote: »
    . The threat of a 10 grand fine will get a lot of people to comply. I

It won't.

Most people don't have 10k, and would just laught if they got a piece of paper with a fine like that on it.

The ones lively to take any notice are still at home quarantining their groceries.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It won't.

Most people don't have 10k, and would just laught if they got a piece of paper with a fine like that on it.

The ones lively to take any notice are still at home quarantining their groceries.

You'd laugh if you got a fine of ten grand?

Seems like Donegal might be moving there tonight. Will have implications for the many students from there starting back in Galway? https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1309150292760498177

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭LostDuck

Seems like Donegal might be moving there tonight. Will have implications for the many students from there starting back in Galway?

Technically no, they can leave their Level 3 county for education.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Arghus wrote: »
    I don't think anyone would pay a fine like that, they'd rather be brought to Castlerea for the day and home that evening. Make the fine €100 on the spot and actually enforce it.

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    I don't think anyone would pay a fine like that, they'd rather be brought to Castlerea for the day and home that evening. Make the fine €100 on the spot and actually enforce it.

€100 on the spot fine would be a pittance for some people. If 10,000 is too much for some people, surely it could be taken out at source either from social welfare or wages over a number of years until its paid off. I definitely do think some sort of a deterrent should be implemented to get people to comply with the public health guidelines. There's far too much of an arrogant 'me fein' attitude to this virus.

The Isle of man has low cases of covid infection because they have heavy penalties. A fine up to 10,000 pounds or prison for 6 months for anyone caught breaking the quarantine rules.

LostDuck wrote: »
    Technically no, they can leave their Level 3 county for education.

Ah sorry, you're right there.

Looks like we got a breather in cases today, didn't get called out so 4 or less.

324 nationally, Donegal looks headed for L3 with 42 new cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Arghus wrote: »

I'd be more concerned about a €100 fine - there's a realistic chance I'd have to pay that (or multiple times that if I was thick enough to break the regulations multiple times).

€10,000 - not a hope in hell of it being paid. I think the only thing I'd be worried about is what time is breakfast ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

In the press conference where they announced Donegal being budged to Level 3, the Taoiseach appealed to people in Cork and Galway to be careful as cases are rising to a worrying degree here.

Warning shots fired by NUIG - "Students returning to NUI Galway are being warned they face possible expulsion from the University, if they breach public health guidelines in the coming months."

https://www.rte.ie/news/connacht/2020/0924/1167310-nui-galway/

LostDuck wrote: »
    Warning shots fired by NUIG - "Students returning to NUI Galway are being warned they face possible expulsion from the University, if they breach public health guidelines in the coming months."

https://www.rte.ie/news/connacht/2020/0924/1167310-nui-galway/

This is fantastic news and thank you NUIG for helping to keep Galway safe. I have a worry about students returning to college but this measure by NUIG would help. I hope other colleges adopt the same approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭mjp

Breakdown of Galway numbers past 2 weeks by electoral region. Numbers much higher per head of population in county compared to city which is unusual. Numbers in south Connemara which was highest per head of population last week down to less than 5 cases now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

• Advertisement

I think all counties need regular daily messages- if gatherings social events or parties are the key cause I thInk hourly adds on tv and radio need to be introduced until the message gets through

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Storm 10 wrote: »

It’s extraordinary isn’t it? And this isn’t about young people per se- it’s the grown adults and parents that are organising these parties and willingly participating in them

And of course, when you have to deal with plain stupidity, you realize just how desperate our winter is going to be

https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/i-didnt-know-i-had-to-self-isolate-publican-who-had-coronavirus-went-to-work-while-waiting-for-test-results-39561710.html

And of course, when you have to deal with plain stupidity, you realize just how desperate our winter is going to be

https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/i-didnt-know-i-had-to-self-isolate-publican-who-had-coronavirus-went-to-work-while-waiting-for-test-results-39561710.html

I read about that last night and it's an absolutely shocking level of greed and selfishness from your man. He went to work while displaying coronavirus symptoms. I suppose it was them symptoms that also lead to him being tested.

The public health guidelines have been in our faces for the majority of 2020. At this stage many of us don't need this stuff to be explained to us. We know it's our civil duty to do this stuff to prevent spread.

This particular case reads to me as if your man was bending the rules to suit himself and he was caught out.

He's not the first and he won't be the last to think of only himself. I find it so sad that the government is allowing this type of sh1t to continue. Its not the first story of someone not following the guidelines. There was a care worker who was a close contact and was tested positive or waiting on results who went to work. Fines or prison sentences should be brought in for such people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

owlbethere wrote: »
    I read about that last night and it's an absolutely shocking level of greed and selfishness from your man. He went to work while displaying coronavirus symptoms. I suppose it was them symptoms that also lead to him being tested.

The public health guidelines have been in our faces for the majority of 2020. At this stage many of us don't need this stuff to be explained to us. We know it's our civil duty to do this stuff to prevent spread.

This particular case reads to me as if your man was bending the rules to suit himself and he was caught out.

He's not the first and he won't be the last to think of only himself. I find it so sad that the government is allowing this type of sh1t to continue. Its not the first story of someone not following the guidelines. There was a care worker who was a close contact and was tested positive or waiting on results who went to work. Fines or prison sentences should be brought in for such people.

Should be considered a form of assault.

Storm 10 wrote: »

Many counties are now out on warnings, if the numbers don't come down we will have further restrictions. It will be very sad to see businesses struggle under the restrictions. Like no people eating inside of restaurants and only 15 people at a time eating outside. That's going to be very difficult.

Reading this here and a lot of the increase in cases can be attributed to house parties and gatherings like birthday parties, communions, christenings, confirmations. I find it so sad how this source isn't tackled. Like ban the communions, christenings, confirmations until people learn how to behave with this virus. It might be harder to ban the birthday parties in household. I would consider a small wedding and funeral to be somewhat controlled but if spread is occurring there - ban them. Keep the funerals low. Implement fines/prison sentences for people breaking isolation guidelines.

Should be considered a form of assault.

Definitely neglect. If that place was my local and if I was put at risk like that, and if I developed a covid infection and I suspect the exposure came from there, I would definitely go down the civil route and look for compensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

mjp wrote: »
    Breakdown of Galway numbers past 2 weeks by electoral region. Numbers much higher per head of population in county compared to city which is unusual. Numbers in south Connemara which was highest per head of population last week down to less than 5 cases now.

Has to be said, Eddie Hoare has been great for communicating the Covid updates.

Better than a lot of TDs, all in all.

• Advertisement

21 cases in Galway today..

What's driving the increase in Galway? We had clusters weeks ago and they should be contained at this stage. I was hoping on seeing the numbers drop by now. Can the health authorities identify where these Galway cases are happening? Is there any community transmissions in Galway? I would love to be a reporter sitting in on the briefings. We're going to be level 3 next week.

Advertisement