Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

owlbethere wrote: »
    21 cases in Galway today..

What's driving the increase in Galway? We had clusters weeks ago and they should be contained at this stage. I was hoping on seeing the numbers drop by now. Can the health authorities identify where these Galway cases are happening? Is there any community transmissions in Galway? I would love to be a reporter sitting in on the briefings. We're going to be level 3 next week.

Occurrence times up with reporting from schools and communions - lots of inter family mingling, despite what reports are saying. They can’t blame wet pubs, it’s too soon.
    Lots of children I know sent for testing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭LostDuck

What's driving the increase in Galway?

Attitude in Galway got very lax and we escaped cases for a long time so a lot of people got relaxed and the place was rife for spread if a few cases got into the right/wrong circles. Like a growing risk of wildfire in a drought!

We'll just have to tighten up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I would have put the attendance at that anti mask loon protest last week at around 21-22.

Make of that what you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,482 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Is Level 3 likely soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

Arghus wrote: »
    I would have put the attendance at that anti mask loon protest last week at around 21-22.

Make of that what you will.

They had a 'march' to City Hall this afternoon will less than that even.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

They had a 'march' to City Hall this afternoon will less than that even.

Apparently it was another anti mask protest? What is the purpose of marching to Galway city Hall? Its a waste of time and energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 se25

Just in from picking up someone in town...pub , restaurants seem to be well organised but serious outdoor socializing going on.

Loads of young wans with slabs and carry outs ..bit like Electric Picnic..all very good humored but no police to be seen and frig all social distancing.

Surely time to have some controls on the off licences / shops alcohol sales as it is beyond a joke tonite..

Apparently it was another anti mask protest? What is the purpose of marching to Galway city Hall? Its a waste of time and energy.

I believe it was to protest new the Asylum Seekers housing space on Dominic St. There was a counter protest. Pics show the counters masked up but the usual rant suspects with Irish flags.

inisboffin wrote: »
    I believe it was to protest new the Asylum Seekers housing space on Dominic St. There was a counter protest. Pics show the counters masked up but the usual rant suspects with Irish flags.

I think it was both anti asylum seeker and anti-mask. They had a banner denouncing RTÉ as 'the virus'.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭smurf492

It was an anti mask, anti lockdown, more housing for our own people protest according to dara o'flahertys Facebook. Sorry I can't link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

I agree and I'd be worried about the return to campus accommodation when you consider the campus outbreaks in Dundee and Glasgow. If we do move to a nationwide phase three as has been speculated I think NUIG will have to minimise face to face teaching like Dublin universities have done.

Good call.

https://www.rte.ie/news/education/2020/0925/1167512-universities-online-ireland/
    From last night, Universities and third level across the country asked to comply with restrictions already in place for Dublin colleges.
    Nuigs prep for an opening on Monday now changed to online.

Asks a lot of questions for students who are already in or have secured accommodation in town.

That announcement was ridiculously late - the students have already moved in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

LostDuck wrote: »
    That announcement was ridiculously late - the students have already moved in.
    It's disappointing especially for all who secured accommodation but covid and controlling the spread is a rapid and fast moving situation.

smurf492 wrote: »
    It was an anti mask, anti lockdown, more housing for our own people protest according to dara o'flahertys Facebook. Sorry I can't link

Nothing to be sorry about.

Arghus wrote: »
    Nothing to be sorry about.

LOL!

Yeah these days it's hard to know where the venn diagram overlaps with anti this, pro that. Ugh.

They're not anti asylum seekers, they're pro housing the native Irish only.

Good call.

https://www.rte.ie/news/education/2020/0925/1167512-universities-online-ireland/
    From last night, Universities and third level across the country asked to comply with restrictions already in place for Dublin colleges.
    Nuigs prep for an opening on Monday now changed to online.

Asks a lot of questions for students who are already in or have secured accommodation in town.

It's been coming for a while, difficult to see how face to face teaching could go ahead with rising cases. Staff have been raising concerns about it for weeks. https://www.joe.ie/news/nuig-disaster-waiting-to-happen-702944

I don't think Dara 'I’m going to kill you and your family' O'Flaherty's attempt to rebrand himself as a peaceful housing activist is going to be particularly successful. https://www.galwaydaily.com/courts/bench-warrant-issued-for-man-who-drunkenly-threatened-garda-and-his-family/

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

So they're just racist and xenophobic then? Glad you cleared that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

big outbreak in nuig i hear.. 25 plus at least

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Well with that and all the rumours I've heard the last few weeks you'd imagine the Galway numbers would be in the hundreds. Listen to actual news, not rumours.

So they're just racist and xenophobic then? Glad you cleared that up.

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Source?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

There not back until Monday 28th

Storm 10 wrote: »

Whether they are back or not I don't know, but there's certainly loads of students around the campus.

Storm 10 wrote: »

That's tomorrow. Most students would have landed in a few days earlier to get their stuff moved in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

some classes have started. from a lecturer i know. she is getting tested today.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭smurf492

Town last night was a disgrace with massive clusters around spanich arch, eyre sq and Dominick St. Not a mask in sight...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Town last night was a disgrace with massive clusters around spanich arch, eyre sq and Dominick St. Not a mask in sight...

People are so selfish these days especially the younger generation , used to been spoilt as children getting their own way ..... The Me Me Me generation ......very little sense of community or the common good ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,955 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There is no recommendation to wear masks outside.

Even if people were wearing masks, it does not make gathering in large groups ok, or safe.

Advertisement