Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Relying on people to do as they are asked with no law, enforcement or penalty won't work. Yet again we will end up in the situation where everyone is punished for the actions of a few - it's like being back at school.

Make law, make the Gardai enforce the law & have sensible €100 on the spot fines. Once the word gets around, the behaviour will stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭smurf492

I was commenting more about the blatant disregard by people last night in terms of health and safety...masks aren't a cure but they do help.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

smurf492 wrote: »
    I was commenting more about the blatant disregard by people last night in terms of health and safety...masks aren't a cure but they do help.

I think they can also help psychologically. They are a constant reminder.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

LuasSimon wrote: »
    People are so selfish these days especially the younger generation , used to been spoilt as children getting their own way ..... The Me Me Me generation ......very little sense of community or the common good ....

In fairness, I've seen a lot of older people violate regulations. Group of women in their fifties on the Galway-Dublin train today had to be told by an IrishRail staff member to wear masks. The minute she was gone they took them off again.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

Storm 10 wrote: »
    There not back until Monday 28th

First year orientation started last Monday.

Irish campus coronavirus clusters wouldn't be a massive shock given they've happened in several universities in the UK already, but yeah, I wouldn't give credence to rumours about NUIG unless and until they're confirmed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,955 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Discodog wrote: »
    I think they can also help psychologically. They are a constant reminder.

My observation is just the opposite: people think "it's ok, we don't need to distance 'cos we're masked".

I've even fallen into it myself a couple of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭snoopy84

In fairness, I've seen a lot of older people violate regulations. Group of women in their fifties on the Galway-Dublin train today had to be told by an IrishRail staff member to wear masks. The minute she was gone they took them off again.

Woman probably in her sixties came out of toilet cubicle in harvey Norman last week wearing gloves, wiped her gloved hands with a dry tissue and left. Honestly don't know if I was more disgusted at her or myself for not saying anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

snoopy84 wrote: »
    Woman probably in her sixties came out of toilet cubicle in harvey Norman last week wearing gloves, wiped her gloved hands with a dry tissue and left. Honestly don't know if I was more disgusted at her or myself for not saying anything.

That's bad. There's a fcuk load of ignorance coming from some older people, coughing openenly about the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

The Department of Health has been notified of 430 new cases of Covid-19 and no further deaths.
    212 of today's cases were reported in Dublin, 54 in Cork, 23 in Donegal, 23 in Galway, 16 in Louth, 15 in Monaghan, 12 in Clare, 12 in Meath, 9 in Cavan, 8 in Roscommon, 7 in Wicklow, 6 in Limerick, 5 in Kildare, 5 in Tipperary with the remaining 23 cases in 9 counties.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

drove past airport testing site yesterday, well over 40 cars queing to be tested. we are in the proverbial sht i think this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Possibility of Level 3 by the end of the week I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Stewball

Do we know how many cases were being recorded per day in Galway during April?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Possibility of Level 3 by the end of the week I'd say

I'd say so.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,482 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

drove past airport testing site yesterday, well over 40 cars queing to be tested. we are in the proverbial sht i think this time.

Been like that for weeks now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Stewball wrote: »
    Do we know how many cases were being recorded per day in Galway during April?

I always wonder this. I don't know why they don't release figures or if they do I haven't found them

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

6 wrote: »
    Been like that for weeks now

Yep, since school went back. Every kid and indeed close contact with any close symptom is being tested which is why the 100k per week testing capacity is no longer adequate.

I always wonder this. I don't know why they don't release figures or if they do I haven't found them

You can find them all on the covid section of www.gov.ie
    They have all the press releases with county by county breakdown. I went through April and this was new cases for Galway.

31-Mar 3
    01-Apr 7
    02-Apr 7
    03-Apr 3
    04-Apr 4
    05-Apr 16
    06-Apr 6
    07-Apr 0
    08-Apr 26
    09-Apr 9
    10-Apr 9
    11-Apr 19
    12-Apr 23
    13-Apr 17
    14-Apr 23
    15-Apr 6
    16-Apr 7
    17-Apr 10
    18-Apr 11
    19-Apr 0
    20-Apr 15
    21-Apr 6
    22-Apr 16
    23-Apr 1
    24-Apr 0
    25-Apr 3
    26-Apr 0
    27-Apr 0
    28-Apr 16
    29-Apr 4
    30-Apr 0

You can find them all on the covid section of www.gov.ie
    They have all the press releases with county by county breakdown. I went through April and this was new cases for Galway.

Are these the number of people actually tested? My phone might not be showing it right but afaik you don't see the number of people tested, only the number of positive results... For example if only 5 people showed up and all five had positive results, it's very different if 150 turned up and only 5 had positive results...

Are these the number of people actually tested? My phone might not be showing it right but afaik you don't see the number of people tested, only the number of positive results... For example if only 5 people showed up and all five had positive results, it's very different if 150 turned up and only 5 had positive results...

They're just the positive cases. I don't see the testing data on that website but our testing capacity back in April was much lower than it is now.

They're just the positive cases. I don't see the testing data on that website but our testing capacity back in April was much lower than it is now.

I'd seen those alright but it would be more interesting to see how many people actually get tested and what percent are postive. Surely it could be made available?

Do you know our testing capacity for Galway? Tbh I can't see how we can figure out rates accurately without that.

• Advertisement

I'd seen those alright but it would be more interesting to see how many people actually get tested and what percent are postive. Surely it could be made available?

Do you know our testing capacity for Galway? Tbh I can't see how we can figure out rates accurately without that.

There's testing data here but as far as I can see it's only on a national level.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,177 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Galway facing lockdown restrictions (level 3) after Thursday says Health Minister

zell12 wrote: »
    Galway facing lockdown restrictions (level 3) after Thursday says Health Minister

Link? I wouldn't be surprised but read in the Irish times how we are continuing to be on the watch list, presumably with being a university city.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

zell12 wrote: »

It would be far more helpful to post links with these posts, otherwise they end up in the same bracket as the rumour monger posts above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

It would be far more helpful to post links with these posts, otherwise they end up in the same bracket as the rumour monger posts above.

zell’s post has the right idea but lacks accuracy.

Coronavirus: Cork, Wicklow, Galway and Louth may face extra restrictions as 430 new cases confirmed, most since April
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/coronavirus-cork-wicklow-galway-and-louth-may-face-extra-restrictions-as-430-new-cases-confirmed-most-since-april-1.4365976

Essential word is “may.”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

If there was a lockdown called, would it be immediate, or would there be a delay? So if there was a lockdown called on Thursday, would it start that day? Supposed to go away on Friday but would cancel now, if I thought we would be in lockdown by the weekend.

If there was a lockdown called, would it be immediate, or would there be a delay? So if there was a lockdown called on Thursday, would it start that day? Supposed to go away on Friday but would cancel now, if I thought we would be in lockdown by the weekend.

If its called on Thursday it will probably be mid-night friday when it kicks in. thats what happened in donegal I think anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,177 ✭✭✭✭zell12

It was in the Examiner this morning, but not online at time
    Health minister Stephen Donnelly confirmed additional restrictions could be announced this week for Cork, Wicklow, Galway, and Louth.
    Mr Donnelly said that although Cork, Wicklow, Galway, and Louth have cases steadily rising, he does not foresee any announcement on new restrictions being made before Thursday when NPHET are due to meet. https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40055885.html

• Registered Users Posts: 25,955 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

As far as I could see, most of the city went on the lash this weekend, in anticipation of not being able to next weekend.

I'm not sure that putting us "on notice" was such a clever idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

As far as I could see, most if ghe city went on the lash this weekend, in anticipation of not being able to next weekend.

I'm not sure that putting us "on notice" was such a clever idea.

The amount of times I head from people over the weekend that they were going "into town" to get a few things/jobs done before the lock down was ricidulous.
    Things that weren't important.
    It's not just people "going on the lash" there were plenty others who did not see the irony.

Personally, I don't think there are enough people doing the basics anymore.

Advertisement