Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

cuculainn wrote: »
    Maybe it's time to take a different approach and actually organise outdoor events where young people can go and drink and socialize safely.......a bit like handing out free condoms to prevent the spread of STD's...????

That would be the best solution. Unfortunately we can't rely on the weather, at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,482 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    You said that Galway City is at a tipping point, when Galway counties incidence rate today is 2/5th that of Dublin's, and 1/3rd that of the worst rates in the country. The city's incidence rate is one of the lowest in the country, based on the last data point we have available. We don't know any further than a number of 26 per 100k.

Are you just guessing or something or are you actually looking at the numbers before you partake in hyperbole?

Your number looks great if it was correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

How do you still not get that the death rate isn't higher because of the preventative measures taken? Honestly, it's no wonder we're fcuked again when this kind of stupidity is still being spouted.

The uneducated usually revert to calling someone ‘stupid’ when they cannot analyse data and look at the facts. Wuhan, New York, Brazil, Sweden (which had no lockdown) are all featured in the death rates & they are way under what was forecast. Don’t let facts stand in the way of insults and name calling though. Stay classy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The uneducated usually revert to calling someone ‘stupid’ when they cannot analyse data and look at the facts. Wuhan, New York, Brazil, Sweden (which had no lockdown) are all featured in the death rates & they are way under what was forecast. Don’t let facts stand in the way of insults and name calling though. Stay classy.

Firstly define what you mean by 'lockdown'.
    Secondly define what you mean by 'no lockdown'
    Finally define what you mean by 'facts'.
    Then have a think again about forecasts and restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

hynesie08 wrote: »
    What grounds would they be expelled on??

Bringing the university into disrepute.

It would be fair to say that students in Galway do not have the best reputation at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,177 ✭✭✭✭zell12

FRONT-PAGE-30-SEPT.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Wow we've been reduced to that red top toilet paper substitute. Some of the stuff here in the last 24 hours is embarrassing e.g the army, armoured vehicles, water cannons, Jesus Christ will ye get a grip. If ye don't want people congregating at the Spanish arch then fence it off like before. What'll that do, drive them elsewhere outdoors or back to indoor house parties. Great success.

As for the calls for expulsions, where were the calls for people to be fired from their jobs for disobeying other 'guidelines', surely bad behaviour re Covid should be punished across the board and not just on the soft target students. Those people spending four or five hours in pubs in town which meant they'd overstayed should surely be fired from their jobs for the same reasons. Not to mention the nightly gatherings at the Arch during the summer, all working people there should also be fired I assume. I don't remember the frothing at the mouth reactions to any of those actions.

There needs to be new/different thinking when it comes to the spread of Covid among the younger cohort. These are kids of 17/18/19, away from home for the first time. What do ye expect of them, curl up on the couch with Coronation Street and a Horlicks and off to bed by 9. Unfortunately they aren't all angels in the same way that some of you were at the same age.

Both Nui/Gmit have a lot of blame on their shoulders too, there was no need to bring back a lot of those students who have come back. Failure to provide info for those due back also led to people booking accommodation who most likely dont need it. Any course not requiring hands on work should be 100% online. It's as if they didn't cop,weren't prepared or showed no foresight.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Curly head

Wow we've been reduced to that red top toilet paper substitute. Some of the stuff here in the last 24 hours is embarrassing e.g the army, armoured vehicles, water cannons, Jesus Christ will ye get a grip. If ye don't want people congregating at the Spanish arch then fence it off like before. What'll that do, drive them elsewhere outdoors or back to indoor house parties. Great success.

As for the calls for expulsions, where were the calls for people to be fired from their jobs for disobeying other 'guidelines', surely bad behaviour re Covid should be punished across the board and not just on the soft target students. Those people spending four or five hours in pubs in town which meant they'd overstayed should surely be fired from their jobs for the same reasons. Not to mention the nightly gatherings at the Arch during the summer, all working people there should also be fired I assume. I don't remember the frothing at the mouth reactions to any of those actions.

There needs to be new/different thinking when it comes to the spread of Covid among the younger cohort. These are kids of 17/18/19, away from home for the first time. What do ye expect of them, curl up on the couch with Coronation Street and a Horlicks and off to bed by 9. Unfortunately they aren't all angels in the same way that some of you were at the same age.

Both Nui/Gmit have a lot of blame on their shoulders too, there was no need to bring back a lot of those students who have come back. Failure to provide info for those due back also led to people booking accommodation who most likely dont need it. Any course not requiring hands on work should be 100% online. It's as if they didn't cop,weren't prepared or showed no foresight.
    Could not agree more. You are 100% right in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

The above is fair comment but in my opinion and many others extra enforcement is now needed. The army can provide this easily. How can 6 Gardai police the entire city and disperse hundreds of youngsters haviing a party?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭xckjoo

cuculainn wrote: »
    Maybe it's time to take a different approach and actually organise outdoor events where young people can go and drink and socialize safely.......a bit like handing out free condoms to prevent the spread of STD's...????
    I heard the UL SU President (I think that's what she was) on the radio this morning saying this was the approach they were looking to take. Fair play to them. NUIG could learn something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I can imagine the summer garden except open and affordable. Break out the big top, reasonable cover to get in/control numbers, space out some standing height tables, sell some plastic cups of piss, and let the Galway breeze keep it aired out? Throw in some music and food trucks would make a pretty irresistible setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I can imagine the summer garden except open and affordable. Break out the big top, reasonable cover to get in/control numbers, space out some standing height tables, sell some plastic cups of piss, and let the Galway breeze keep it aired out? Throw in some music and food trucks would make a pretty irresistible setup.

And when they leave, it will be ike that video from Shop St all over again.

Outdoor eventsxare currently limited to 100 participants for a good reason.

One thing I will say, is Councillor Eddie Hoare and Senator Ollie Crowe will never see a vote from me or my family again. Instead of being constructive and helping organise the students when arriving into the city, they release videos & try and create outrage towards them. This is an incredibly dangerous thing to do in our society at the current time. Culminating in Ollie Crowe mentioning army on the streets. This is not what public representatives do, their job is to provide us with solutions - not police state. Encouraging the vilification of young people was also disgusting by these representatives who should have been working with the colleges & Galway City council towards organising events following the guidelines for these students.

kippy wrote: »
    Firstly define what you mean by 'lockdown'.
    Secondly define what you mean by 'no lockdown'
    Finally define what you mean by 'facts'.
    Then have a think again about forecasts and restrictions.

I didn’t say ‘facts’ - I said facts. They are there on the CDC, WHO websites, which I’m sure you already know.

This is CDC’s latest estimates from 5 days ago:

CDC COVID-19 Survival Rates

Age 0-19 — 99.997%
    Age 20-49 — 99.98%
    Age 50-69 — 99.5%
    Age 70+ — 94.6%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Howyanowscan

Gas that posters would sooner see teenagers water-cannoned into the Corrib than hold NUIG/GMIT/student accommodation providers to any sort of responsibility for a complete lack of duty of care to their students.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I called your post stupidity, that's not name calling but well done on the faux outrage. I'm quite well educated thank you but not as educated on this matter as the scientists and the public health experts that are guiding us through this crisis. That's why I'd rather keep listening to them than some randomer on boards who doesn't have a clue what they're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Gas that posters would sooner see teenagers water-cannoned into the Corrib than hold NUIG/GMIT/student accommodation providers to any sort of responsibility for a complete lack of duty of care to their students.

Its actually quite scary that some posters on here would call out the Army and turn them on our students, beggars belief some of the absolute stupid posts.

I recall during the Summer the same posters were going nuts about people walking the prom, on the beach, sitting and drinking at the Spanish Arch and Eyre Square and not forgetting several protest marches that took place, we were told we would have loads of cases after them, never happened and hopefully it wont after the latest partying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Its actually quite scary that some posters on here would call out the Army and turn them on our students, beggars belief some of the absolute stupid posts.

It's one poster for the most part. Try to ignore his mindless posts and this thread becomes semi-readable. Easier said than done, hence I've been mostly avoiding this thread lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Storm 10 wrote: »

I recall during the Summer the same posters were going nuts about people walking the prom, on the beach, sitting and drinking at the Spanish Arch and Eyre Square and not forgetting several protest marches that took place, we were told we would have loads of cases after them, never happened and hopefully it wont after the latest partying.

what a load of sht. the marches were pure luck that the virus was very low at the time and somewhat outdoors.
    we were lucky overall we did not get the numbers italy did.
    at that time close spaces and lack of social distancing was not evident by many while 90pc of the population complied.
    at one stage i had to see my parents through a window for 2 months.
    but its ok for lucky larry having his scrumpy jack eh?
    also the claddagh i know a few there is it ok for a scroat to shat in someones drive??
    its funny liberal lefties are all the same the marches were fine, ah poor students we are all sick of it, we have the hard yards to do now how many people will lose their job due to these clowns. i guarantee u we will not get lucky this time and they will all go home this week...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

problem with the public health strategy was the whole police by consent. worked for maybe the first weeks but simply isn't working anymore and a more hard-line approach is needed, maybe not go as far as china way to do things but not far off either.

If the majority are doing their best following guidelines, businesses doing what they must to keep doors open with staff employed but then see these shenanigans happen without consequence .... its time for a more of a stick approach.

if you get punished harshly for something you shouldn't have done, you won't be as quick to do it again. At present there is no consequence but yet they pay the price and that needs to change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Does anyone know was last night any quieter than Monday night? I didn't see much new on FB but the same old posts. Just curious if last night quieted down or not after so much attention.

Does anyone know was last night any quieter than Monday night? I didn't see much new on FB but the same old posts. Just curious if last night quieted down or not after so much attention.
    Rain will solve the Spanish Arch problem much quicker than the army...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Drove past Spanish Arch around 9pm and it was all quiet. The weather was pretty bad though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭ratracer

Sparch was empty last night. I had a little chuckle to myself when I spotted a patrol car parked down there around 8pm, and no body around because it was lashing rain!

I’d be very concerned about these reports of AGS handing over names/ addresses to the colleges. AGS are distancing themselves from the reports, Mayor Cubbard and GBFM fuelling them. Surely this is not allowed, it’s almost as ludicrous as ‘call out the army’ or ‘wash them into the river’

ratracer wrote: »
    I’d be very concerned about these reports of AGS handing over names/ addresses to the colleges. AGS are distancing themselves from the reports, Mayor Cubbard and GBFM fuelling them. Surely this is not allowed, it’s almost as ludicrous as ‘call out the army’ or ‘wash them into the river’

Why is it ludicrous, they deserve punishment otherwise it will happen again and again. There needs to be examples made of a number of people to put the fear of god into any other students thinking of breaking guidelines.

In this context the guards giving name to the university would appear to be the ideal strategy and I would hope that its true.

People are just gone far too lax and its going to bite and bite hard in virus cases and job losses when we inevitably go into further lock downs.

Why is it ludicrous, they deserve punishment otherwise it will happen again and again. There needs to be examples made of a number of people to put the fear of god into any other students thinking of breaking guidelines.

In this context the guards giving name to the university would appear to be the ideal strategy and I would hope that its true.

People are just gone far too lax and its going to bite and bite hard in virus cases and job losses when we inevitably go into further lock downs.
    Would you also be in favor of other personal details being passed to/from 3rd parties to the Gardaí? Like if someone was to continuously brag on an internet forum about drink driving and speeding?

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

Just like the army being called in, it's another nonsense idea that isn't going to happen. https://www.thejournal.ie/galway-house-parties-nuig-students-gardai-5218516-Sep2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Tuesday is always a lot quieter than Monday.

Monday nights at the start of term are always manic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Just like the army being called in, it's another nonsense idea that isn't going to happen. https://www.thejournal.ie/galway-house-parties-nuig-students-gardai-5218516-Sep2020/
    This is feckin' great:
    “The gardaí have agreed to work with the college and give them addresses of houses where they have been called because of parties, and then the college will make contact with landlords,” [Mayor Mike] Cubbard said.
    and
    In a statement to TheJournal.ie, a garda spokesperson denied that this would be happening.

“An Garda Síochána does not share private information with third parties,” the spokesperson said.
    So Mayor Cubbard, which is it?

Advertisement