Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Its actually quite scary that some posters on here would call out the Army and turn them on our students, beggars belief some of the absolute stupid posts.

I recall during the Summer the same posters were going nuts about people walking the prom, on the beach, sitting and drinking at the Spanish Arch and Eyre Square and not forgetting several protest marches that took place, we were told we would have loads of cases after them, never happened and hopefully it wont after the latest partying.

Pretty telling how some will keep the hysteria such as calls for army intervention to this forum where they'll have their own army of little followers and not post about it on one of the main Covid threads as they'd be torn asunder

xckjoo wrote: »
    Would you also be in favor of other personal details being passed to/from 3rd parties to the Gardaí? Like if someone was to continuously brag on an internet forum about drink driving and speeding?

Reporting others to the Gardai is as common as muck, poor attempt at an analogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

It was reported on TV3 news yesterday that Limerick had similar although less severe issues with students on Monday night and that Gardai handed out cautions, issued fines and will be reporting house parties they attended at to college authorities.

Has anyone heard of cautions or fines being handed out here?

If people really think it's fine to have lots of kids urinating, vomiting and defecating in gardens of homes, where home owners are often old peoples, it astounds me. In normal times it would be disgusting and a level of depravity that's off the scale, right now it's downright dangerous. If we think we should let all this behaviour continue completely unchecked with a "but you were just having some fun petal" attitude God knows what the future of the city holds.

If people really think it's fine to have lots of kids urinating, vomiting and defecating in gardens of homes, where home owners are often old peoples, it astounds me. In normal times it would be disgusting and a level of depravity that's off the scale, right now it's downright dangerous. If we think we should let all this behaviour continue completely unchecked with a "but you were just having some fun petal" attitude God knows what the future of the city holds.

How is it more dangerous these days than normal to have kids urinating and vomiting in public? They're hardly vomiting on people? If you're so put out about that on Monday, I assume you're on here and elsewhere pontificating after every single rag week and race week when it's at least 10 times worse?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Reporting others to the Gardai is as common as muck, poor attempt at an analogy.
    But are you happy for your official information to be passed to/from 3rd parties?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    If you're so put out about that on Monday, I assume you're on here and elsewhere pontificating after every single rag week and race week when it's at least 10 times worse?
    Was about to say the same.

Someone I know who worked in the drinks industry told me that 20% of the annual volumes of alcohol sold in Galway were sold in the ten days of race week and the August bank holiday weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭ratracer

Why is it ludicrous, they deserve punishment otherwise it will happen again and again. There needs to be examples made of a number of people to put the fear of god into any other students thinking of breaking guidelines.

In this context the guards giving name to the university would appear to be the ideal strategy and I would hope that its true.

People are just gone far too lax and its going to bite and bite hard in virus cases and job losses when we inevitably go into further lock downs.

Which Statutory Instrument of the law permits AGS to divulge personal information about individuals to a third party.

I agree that a small minority of students are acting the boll1x, but they are not breaking any law, they are just not heeding guidelines, and there is a big difference between those terms in the eyes of the law. FWIW, Monday night was a disgrace IMO!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If people really think it's fine to have lots of kids urinating, vomiting and defecating in gardens of homes, where home owners are often old peoples, it astounds me. In normal times it would be disgusting and a level of depravity that's off the scale, right now it's downright dangerous.

You do realise that it happens all the time and has for as long as I can remember.

The Claddagh has it particularly bad because they have gardens and are close to the Quay. But Woodquay and city centre homes cop all various body-fluids too, on a very regular basis. As di business owners opening their shops etc in the morning.

People think I'm nuts for not supporting pedestrianisation. But its with good reason.

I'm not sure, though, why its any more dangerous now than at other times. Covid-19 is not transmitted through urine or vomit, AFAIK

xckjoo wrote: »
    But are you happy for your official information to be passed to/from 3rd parties?

But this already happens all the time, you are acting like its something new. Whats with the "official information" speal too, its their name.

Info obtained by the Gardai from someone breaking the law in some way and given to the University is far from the worst example of it. Name of people arrested are released to the media all the time as another example.
    ratracer wrote: »
    Which Statutory Instrument of the law permits AGS to divulge personal information about individuals to a third party.

I have no idea but they do it all the time with an example given above.

• Advertisement

But this already happens all the time, you are acting like its something new. Whats with the "official information" speal too, its their name.

Info obtained by the Gardai from someone breaking the law in some way and given to the University is far from the worst example of it. Name of people arrested are released to the media all the time as another example.

I have no idea but they do it all the time with an example given above.

Where is the example?

And as I’ve said, what law have they broken? They have not followed guidelines. There is a huge difference.

What could, and should have happened, is that plenty of fines could have been given out for drinking on the street, as there is a bye-law against this in the city council areas. This course of action would have nothing to do with the college, in the same way that an employer would have no right to be told by Gardaí of the identity of its employees being out in groups.

Again, let me state I was appalled by Monday’s antics, but actions of the Gardaí, and indeed the army and the fire service and all the other sections that people want to throw at the students, need to be applied in appropriate legal means.

IMO the main people at fault here are the City Council and AGS for turning a blind eye, or perhaps even facilitating, a public drink fest along the river for a lot longer than Covid 19 has been around.

ratracer wrote: »
    Where is the example?

The gardai are always releasing details on people to the media.

We will find out tomorrow if Galway is heading for level 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Pen Rua wrote: »

Problem solved :rolleyes:
    This was there "solution" for Silverstrand Beach as well....
    Events like this really shows how poor our Public Services are, calls for the Army from local politicans is a deflection strategy.

The gardai are always releasing details on people to the media.

I’m pretty sure that in relation to a crime being committed, AGS only release a name of a person who has been charged with an offence against the state. This is not the case in this instance. That’s what I keep trying to explain...... there is no Covid law, just a hope the general population have enough cop-on to heed general guidelines.

The law that could have been used was the offence of consuming alcohol in a public place, or possibly, if they had turned up, a fine for failing to obey the instruction of a Garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Problem solved :rolleyes:
    This was there "solution" for Silverstrand Beach as well....
    Events like this really shows how poor our Public Services are, calls for the Army from local politicans is a deflection strategy.

The army etc. are there for situations where the civil power needs help, more boots on the ground. A couple of Gardai can't be everywhere or tackle hundreds of people pissed out of it. A few Gardai with the help of fifty or more defense force personnel could do a lot. Can't see why anyone could have a problem with this in the current situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭gadarnol

Gas that posters would sooner see teenagers water-cannoned into the Corrib than hold NUIG/GMIT/student accommodation providers to any sort of responsibility for a complete lack of duty of care to their students.

The problem is institutional failure. The scapegoat is students. The real reason students are brought back and then told they will have classes online is obvious. Everything else said about this is deflection, cover up or hysteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,177 ✭✭✭✭zell12

30 September - 429 reported cases
    189 in Dublin, 60 in Cork, 31 in Donegal, 28 in Galway, 18 in Kildare, 15 in Wicklow, 15 in Clare, 12 in Limerick, nine in Meath, eight in Louth, seven in Cavan, seven in Longford,...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

429 cases nationally today with 28 cases in Galway.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

de case i was on about on nuig just outlined on press conference there

what do i know im only a rumour monger..

• Advertisement

Third straight day of Galway (5% population) cases in line with national average (5%, 4%, 6%). Incidence rate still a fraction of the two level 3 counties, and lower than a half dozen others. Unless there's something scary on the backlog they haven't disclosed yet, or are planning on putting all of the more urban counties on lockdown, no way can they go to level 3 tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

saabsaab wrote: »
    A couple of Gardai can't be everywhere or tackle hundreds of people pissed out of it. A few Gardai with the help of fifty or more defense force personnel could do a lot. Can't see why anyone could have a problem with this in the current situation.

Ya thats the point I am making.
    This kind of drinking has been going on for decades in this area not years. Its part of the "Galway City Culture". Plenty of money been made from it
    Its only when ya live abroad for any period of time can see how odd it is.

The Nuig cluster was outlined in the press conference.

2 small house parties mingled and the result was 11 cases.
    1 of those had dinner with someone next day and passed it on.
    That person was in college, attended a class of 26 and of those 26, 15 got ill.

Another case outlined where a couple went out for dinner, later tested positive. They passed it to couple at the table next to them in the restaurant despite not mixing.
    Guidelines were being followed in the restaurant re distancing but layout of tables have since been changed.

Also mentioned that the window is "fast closing before this becomes a national issue".
    I think that was a reference to a return t lockdown rather than restrictions.

Also the idea of a city moving up a level while a county does not is scraped. It will be full country restrictions instead.

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Third straight day of Galway (5% population) cases in line with national average (5%, 4%, 6%). Incidence rate still a fraction of the two level 3 counties, and lower than a half dozen others. Unless there's something scary on the backlog they haven't disclosed yet, or are planning on putting all of the more urban counties on lockdown, no way can they go to level 3 tomorrow.

I'd say they will after the Claddagh debacle. It is likely to only get worse.

saabsaab wrote: »
    The army etc. are there for situations where the civil power needs help, more boots on the ground. A couple of Gardai can't be everywhere or tackle hundreds of people pissed out of it. A few Gardai with the help of fifty or more defense force personnel could do a lot. Can't see why anyone could have a problem with this in the current situation.

Exactly, no one would want them as more than a presence to discourage activity that shouldn't be happening, no one is advocating attacking students. We seem to have forgotten that this is a situation where we have something integral to the functioning of our society to protect and defend. There are so many business that won't survive another lockdown, that'll translate to people not able to house themselves eventually. Our health service won't have capacity to deal with an influx of infection and provide healthcare for everyone else is who happens to be ill with other things. That's not to mention the lives that might be lost through covid or the lives that might be devastated through long haul covid syndrome.

We have never in most of our life times faced a more dire situation. If we let this get out of hand our city and our country will be years, maybe generations recovering.

Ronan Glynn said today that if we could get through this winter successfully a much brighter vista awaits in around 6 to 9 months with hopefully improved medications and a vaccine. For a few months effort we could protect lives and businesses so we will have city economy we recognise by the summer time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

The Nuig cluster was outlined in the press conference.

2 small house parties mingled and the result was 11 cases.
    1 of those had dinner with someone next day and passed it on.
    That person was in college, attended a class of 26 and of those 26, 15 got ill.

Another case outlined where a couple went out for dinner, later tested positive. They passed it to couple at the table next to them in the restaurant despite not mixing.
    Guidelines were being followed in the restaurant re distancing but layout of tables have since been changed.

Also mentioned that the window is "fast closing before this becomes a national issue".
    I think that was a reference to a return t lockdown rather than restrictions.

Also the idea of a city moving up a level while a county does not is scraped. It will be full country restrictions instead.

I'm not able to watch the briefing, unfortunately but thank you so much for keeping the readers online updated. To you and others too.

28 cases today from Galway. Is this the highest for a day in Galway to date?

The couple highlighted in bold - were they waiting on test results at the time they went for dinner? Or did they have symptoms and thought it was a cold?

I know NHPET is telling us this so that we can practice caution and follow the guidelines. Why isn't our government taking action though? There's people breaking isolation guidelines putting others at risk, for crying out loud.

My god - the positive couple passing it to a couple at a nearby table - that's fcuking scary as fcuk.
    Were they showing symptoms coughing and sneezing? Or would it be se sort of cross contamination from waitresses from clearing dirty tables and serving tables and perhaps without washing hands. I won't be eating out after reading that.

I wanted to see the bond movie coming out in November too but that's going to be off the tables for me too.

Exactly, no one would want them as more than a presence to discourage activity that shouldn't be happening, no one is advocating attacking students. We seem to have forgotten that this is a situation where we have something integral to the functioning of our society to protect and defend. There are so many business that won't survive another lockdown, that'll translate to people not able to house themselves eventually. Our health service won't have capacity to deal with an influx of infection and provide healthcare for everyone else is who happens to be ill with other things. That's not to mention the lives that might be lost through covid or the lives that might be devastated through long haul covid syndrome.

We have never in most of our life times faced a more dire situation. If we let this get out of hand our city and our country will be years, maybe generations recovering.

Ronan Glynn said today that if we could get through this winter successfully a much brighter vista awaits in around 6 to 9 months with hopefully improved medications and a vaccine. For a few months effort we could protect lives and businesses so we will have city economy we recognise by the summer time.

Well said one of the most sensible posts here.

owlbethere wrote: »
    I'm not able to watch the briefing, unfortunately but thank you so much for keeping the readers online updated. To you and others too.

28 cases today from Galway. Is this the highest for a day in Galway to date?

The couple highlighted in bold - were they waiting on test results at the time they went for dinner? Or did they have symptoms and thought it was a cold?

I know NHPET is telling us this so that we can practice caution and follow the guidelines. Why isn't our government taking action though? There's people breaking isolation guidelines putting others at risk, for crying out loud.

My god - the positive couple passing it to a couple at a nearby table - that's fcuking scary as fcuk.
    Were they showing symptoms coughing and sneezing? Or would it be se sort of cross contamination from waitresses from clearing dirty tables and serving tables and perhaps without washing hands. I won't be eating out after reading that.

I wanted to see the bond movie coming out in November too but that's going to be off the tables for me too.

The didn't actually say how the couple at an adjoining table contracted the illness of if the couple were aware that they were positive. It's very worrying though. 29 clusters have been associated with pubs and restaurants though in the past week. 7 in pubs but 22 in restaurants cafes. It's gotten to the point where we all need to be more cautious.

The NUIG cluster where 15 because ill out of 26 also happened in a socially distanced controlled area too, they suspect mixing at break was the cause but aren't sure.
    The Dr was from HSE west but didn't specify that cases she mentioned were from the west except for the NUIG one. There was one more where a couple infected 30 others in total but it's long so I didn't write it out. It's here in a short snippet though of 2 mins. https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1311351528276529153

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

The didn't actually say how the couple at an adjoining table contracted the illness of if the couple were aware that they were positive. It's very worrying though. 29 clusters have been associated with pubs and restaurants though in the past week. 7 in pubs but 22 in restaurants cafes. It's gotten to the point where we all need to be more cautious.

The NUIG cluster where 15 because ill out of 26 also happened in a socially distanced controlled area too, they suspect mixing at break was the cause but aren't sure.
    The Dr was from HSE west but didn't specify that cases she mentioned were from the west except for the NUIG one. There was one more where a couple infected 30 others in total but it's long so I didn't write it out. It's here in a short snippet though of 2 mins. https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1311351528276529153

Thanks for the detailed information. We'll, if the couple got a positive covid result, not long after their dinner, I presume they were tested and maybe went out to dinner while awaiting the results. They were tested because either they displayed symptoms or they were identified as a close contact.

I do suspect theres a lot of people skipping isolation and it's not fair on the rest of us who's relying on the authorities to hammer down on the virus. It makes a mockery of the testing, track and trace system to keep all of us as safe as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

the group were fine i hear at class social distantly etc.
    not so much at all on lunch fk thing is a bstard easy spread. so in a space of 45 mins 15 out of 21 got it. fk me.

Advertisement