Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    Quiet morning in town...

505817.jpg

Is that a tyre track from the rain or is the tarmac frigged already??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

Is that a tyre track from the rain or is the tarmac frigged already??

Just wet tyre tracks I think...

506037.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

For anyone interested look up
    Worldometer.info
    Brilliantly put together live update of all countries virus numbers .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

What's the history behind the Merlin Park hospital? Wasn't that built as an isolation hospital for TB? It would probably be completely unworkable to turn it back into an isolation hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

FYI - I had to get a prescription filled for a relative on Sunday.

The Care Plus independent pharmacy group which have 2 pharmacies in Galway have a Care Plus app where you can take a photo of your prescription and upload it.

Once fulfilled, they will call you, and you can pay via card over the phone. In my case I pulled up outside and a friendly staff member handed the prescription to me through the car window.

Very handy if you want to minimise contact, and it helps reducing the risk to the pharmacy staff also.

• Advertisement

owlbethere wrote: »
    What's the history behind the Merlin Park hospital? Wasn't that built as an isolation hospital for TB? It would probably be completely unworkable to turn it back into an isolation hospital.

All hospitals will be isolation hospitals very soon

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I see from FB response the owner of dough bros is very vocal against his competition

Indeed.

The whole "we've decided with heavy hearts to close for the sake of you, our lovely customers" line is old already.

Places have closed because their customer base has dried up: most tourists are gone, locals don't have pubs to go, and aren't in the mood for casual shopping / coffees. Some costs are fixed, but wages aren't. By closing, places can at least cut the wage bill.

Small businesses in Galway WILL recover, and faster than many places. The medical device industry means that there are lots of people who are still working, and who will spend again once they're in the mood to.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

The period between Christmas and St Patrick's day / Easter is a dead loss for a lot of business's. Laura Ashley was probably in trouble anyway, not strictly the Covid-19 that caused that closure. The real effect will be those business which don't re-open again once permitted to do so. Also the move to much more online ordering is one that probably will not be reversed once this is over, further changing the way we shop and do business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Indeed.

The whole "we've decided with heavy hearts to close for the sake of you, our lovely customers" line is old already.

Places have closed because their customer base has dried up: most tourists are gone, locals don't have pubs to go, and aren't in the mood for casual shopping / coffees. Some costs are fixed, but wages aren't. By closing, places can at least cut the wage bill.

Small businesses in Galway WILL recover, and faster than many places. The medical device industry means that there are lots of people who are still working, and who will spend again once they're in the mood to.

[HTML][/HTML]

This line really annoyed me with the pubs. We have decided to close tonight at 11:30 or whatever for the safety of our customers and staff. If they really cared that much they would have closed instantly not trying to get one last big night out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Indeed.

It might be true that Galway will recover, but it's also true than many small businesses won't. They're paying crazy rents and income is their means of paying that and mortgages on homes. It's a terrible time for most.
    They've done the right thing, they could plough on to drain the last few euro, there are plenty people thick enough to still go out for drinks etc if it's available.
    We should be supporting everyone doing the right thing now, it benefits us all, whatever you think their reasons are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Shop street at the moment, pretty empty

Screenshot-1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Been busy dealing with business continuity work for my employer. Coming back to this thread 7 days later. The people who said it would be mad to close everything down and certain places would never close are now criticizing the lack of speed that places did it in?

It's ok to be wrong. You don't need to lean into it. Get yourselves on the same page as everyone else and do your bit. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

When people are practicing social distancing in shops (great) can we not be a**holes about it? My pal was in Aldi and giving a bit of space to the person in front, when the person behind said MOVE ON and bumped them with a trolley. Karma bit back instantly as they had to put back half their oranges as they were past quota (who knew there was an orange quota?).

The other extreme is a man was spotted in Evergreen elbowing people who had to pass him by in order to keep distance. LET PEOPLE PASS if you are that worried. This is a great time for spotting true natures (or at least how people behave with fear).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I don't really have a problem with all the screengrabs posted but here is the link to the Claddagh Jewelers webcam so everyone can look for themselves:

https://thecladdagh.com/webcam/

Yep, it's quiet. If it wasn't there'd be 10x the number of posts here complaining about the stupidity of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Couple of the major hotels are closing tomorrow.

Brown Thomas and Pennys already announced nationwide closure.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Couple of the major hotels are closing tomorrow.

Most hotels rely on wedding and tour group business as a mainstay of their income. Any significant change to either of these income streams will have a serious effect on their ongoing viability.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Few people posting on that House hunting for Sound people FB page about coming home to Galway and needing to self isolate but not being able to go home due to elderly/compromised parents. I know people are trying to be more neighbourly/community oriented etc so said I'd let people know here.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Few people posting on that House hunting for Sound people FB page about coming home to Galway and needing to self isolate but not being able to go home due to elderly/compromised parents. I know people are trying to be more neighbourly/community oriented etc so said I'd let people know here.

What? Why not self isolate where they are? I dont think travel is advised if you are meant to self isolate?

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

I was in a shop this morning and there was a couple in there with their two young kids. The kids were about 3 & 4 and were all dressed up for the weather. They also had red runny noses. The youngest child then proceeded to cough openly on top of all the muffins and scones, then moved over to the door of the fridge and began to cough all over that.

Why can people not be sensible now, if you are a couple then one of you should stay at home with the kids while the other goes out to get essential supplies.

The cashier then tried to get me to hand over my bank card even though I was trying to tap it. I had to actually say to her that I wanted to tap and not hand over my card. The message is just not getting through.

i was in Lidl the other day and a female member of the Irish minority came in and started pawing the bread rolls even though there were tongs right beside her, i told staff and they took them off the shelfs and threw them out

ive a feeling the pub owners know full well they are gonna be told to close very shortly and are getting the publicity for doing it a day early

they all started announcing they're closing for the safety of the community, after the garda went around the city Sat night and shut them all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭dockysher

Just had walk in salthill in galway and de reborttas restaurant is packd. One of the only few restaurants in city stil open for sit ins. No social distancing in sight either

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

pjohnson wrote: »
    What? Why not self isolate where they are? I dont think travel is advised if you are meant to self isolate?

You'll have to go to FB to and ask them.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

dockysher wrote: »
    Just had walk in salthill in galway and de reborttas restaurant is packd. One of the only few restaurants in city stil open for sit ins. No social distancing in sight either

It's because of these idiots that in a couple of weeks we may have a lockdown .
    The government will think these gob****es haven't a brain cell to take on what we ADVISED them to do ....
    So it's time to raise the stakes .
    Same gob****es will than turn to social media ... Blaming da government .

a$$holes

Yes it very bad. You would think them being an Italian restaurant with Italian owner that they would be taking even greater measures considering whats happening in their own country.
    They need to be named and shamed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I can't understand how this is allowed to go on.
    We have been told the next 7 days is crucial and will decide our fate.

Of we are going to whinge about businesses not really caring let's do it about these ones that won't provide social distancing or shut. For the sake of a profit they'll have blood on their hands if this plays out as expected.

They should be named and shamed and boycotted when things are better.

Why should front line emergency services go into work next week to risk their lives saving people who spread disease just because they fancied pizza this week or were greedy enough to risk their staff and customers.

I can't understand how this is allowed to go on.
    We have been told the next 7 days is crucial and will decide our fate.

Of we are going to whinge about businesses not really caring let's do it about these ones that won't provide social distancing or shut. For the sake of a profit they'll have blood on their hands if this plays out as expected.

They should be named and shamed and boycotted when things are better.

Why should front line emergency services go into work next week to risk their lives saving people who spread disease just because they fancied pizza this week or were greedy enough to risk their staff and customers.
    So true.
    Not like he short of money either, its one of the busiest restaurants in galway.
    Just money grabbers obviously.
    Disgrace

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Place should be blacklisted and boycotted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

I

So true the healthcare workers espically the nurses do an amazing job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Environmental Health inspectors should camp out there, break their balls over every crumb on the floor, or every I not dotted on a procedure.

More than 1 way to skin a cat, and let thrm know that this will continue for a long time after everyone else is back to normal.
    W4nkers

Advertisement