Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

the group were fine i hear at class social distantly etc.
    not so much at all on lunch fk thing is a bstard easy spread. so in a space of 45 mins 15 out of 21 got it. fk me.

Do you know the group or anyone in it? I'm not able to make out your post clearly. Sorry.
    Were they social distancing in class?
    Did they mingle closer together at break time? Is that where transmissions were likely to have happened?

From todays news I'm coming to realise that aerosol transmissions might be very possible and very real and that's scary to me. Unless if people are going around coughing and expelling droplets.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

de case i was on about on nuig just outlined on press conference there

what do i know im only a rumour monger..

Must say I had my doubts as well but fair play was that last week .

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

Blessed are those who have not seen, yet still believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭gadarnol

owlbethere wrote: »
    Do you know the group or anyone in it? I'm not able to make out your post clearly. Sorry.
    Were they social distancing in class?
    Did they mingle closer together at break time? Is that where transmissions were likely to have happened?

From todays news I'm coming to realise that aerosol transmissions might be very possible and very real and that's scary to me. Unless if people are going around coughing and expelling droplets.

Aerosol is widely accepted scientifically with more formal confirmation to follow. Ventilation and masks are key here. Incidentally some of the reusable masks I got were rubbish; too loose around the nose. I saw a Professor of Primary Care Oxford online saying that visors in restaurants with no mask are worse than anything. She advised sending food back if served by a visor wearer with no mask. The visor simply directs breath into your plate.

gadarnol wrote: »
    Aerosol is widely accepted scientifically with more formal confirmation to follow. Ventilation and masks are key here. Incidentally some of the reusable masks I got were rubbish; too loose around the nose. I saw a Professor of Primary Care Oxford online saying that visors in restaurants with no mask are worse than anything. She advised sending food back if served by a visor wearer with no mask. The visor simply directs breath into your plate.

I'm not eating out again until the numbers come back under control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

they had lunch close quarters..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Must say I had my doubts as well but fair play was that last week .

last Friday i think. waves to storm 10 good guy from weather forum

i have just heard of an outbreak in a primary school. wont rumourmonger till i get facts..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

There is a rumour that the case featured in tonight's news where a couple infected 30 people in total was in Galway and led to the outbreak in Taylors.
    Reason being that 6 healthy people at one table were all infected as well as 4 staff which seems to tally with the situation that we know happened in there.
    Again according to the Dr speaking that situation involved infection of 6 people sitting at a table adjacent to an infected person.

The Dr speaking about this case and the nuig case was from hse West.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

t fk thing is a bstard easy spread.

Yet my friend's kid got it at creche. The kids father got it. The mother and other two kids in the same household didn't. Can't be that easily spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Yet my friend's kid got it at creche. The kids father got it. The mother and other two kids in the same household didn't. Can't be that easily spread.

Well at least they know which child is the favourite now.

• Advertisement

There are people who have some degree of immunity from encountering a previous corona virus, some people are asymptomatic, there are individual immune responses to everything. Doesn't mean it's not very transmissible though. It obviously is.

There is a rumour that the case featured in tonight's news where a couple infected 30 people in total was in Galway and led to the outbreak in Taylors.
    Reason being that 6 healthy people at one table were all infected as well as 4 staff which seems to tally with the situation that we know happened in there.
    Again according to the Dr speaking that situation involved infection of 6 people sitting at a table adjacent to an infected person.

The Dr speaking about this case and the nuig case was from hse West.

Were they showing any symptoms of the virus when they went out and about? How did they infect so many people? Infecting an adjacent table is scary. I presume there was no close contact with the people at the next table. Were the couple coughing or sneezing? Would it be cross contamination between tables? The dury was out on this being airborne but it's looking more likely it could be airborne which is absolutely crazy.

To get any sort of normalcy back, the virus will have to be suppressed as much as possible within the population and a stringent track and trace and isolation system will have to be implemented. I know we are already doing track and trace and isolation but it's an absolute pure, utter pack of balls and sh1te. Where anyone can break isolation and bend the rules to suit themselves. What was the point of the lockdown we had back in March and our efforts and hardwork over the past few months if they are now going to let this get out of control?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

The didn't actually say how the couple at an adjoining table contracted the illness of if the couple were aware that they were positive. It's very worrying though. 29 clusters have been associated with pubs and restaurants though in the past week. 7 in pubs but 22 in restaurants cafes. It's gotten to the point where we all need to be more cautious.

The NUIG cluster where 15 because ill out of 26 also happened in a socially distanced controlled area too, they suspect mixing at break was the cause but aren't sure.
    The Dr was from HSE west but didn't specify that cases she mentioned were from the west except for the NUIG one. There was one more where a couple infected 30 others in total but it's long so I didn't write it out. It's here in a short snippet though of 2 mins. https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1311351528276529153

It strange not seeing Breda play the whistle or fiddle this time, Sean Smyth's sister, she used to present the Fleadh Cheoil series with Pat Butler back in the late 90s early noughties.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭amandstu

There are people who have some degree of immunity from encountering a previous corona virus, some people are asymptomatic, there are individual immune responses to everything. Doesn't mean it's not very transmissible though. It obviously is.

Have you a reference for that? I heard that speculation but wasn't aware it had been established even as a partial effect.

Is it more than anecdotal?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Obviously there are some people who aren't catching it - that's the first I've heard about different corona viruses giving immunity from against this one (apart from Dotty Delores)

Asymptomatic is irrelevant in this case: All members of the family, and extended family who visited within the week prior, have been tested twice. If they got it, they'd know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

The NUIG cluster where 15 because ill out of 26 also happened in a socially distanced controlled area too, they suspect mixing at break was the cause but aren't sure.

So is this a different cluster than the positive couple who infected 30 over a weekend? Where was this mentioned during the full briefing?

So is this a different cluster than the positive couple who infected 30 over a weekend? Where was this mentioned during the full briefing?

Yes the NUIG case was different to the couple who infected 30. 3 examples were given during the briefing. The couple who infected 30 was first and the NUIG case and the case of the couple dining in a restaurant who infected the adjoining table were outlined immediately after.

Obviously there are some people who aren't catching it - that's the first I've heard about different corona viruses giving immunity from against this one (apart from Dotty Delores)
    amandstu wrote: »
    Have you a reference for that? I heard that speculation but wasn't aware it had been established even as a partial effect.

Is it more than anecdotal?

Article here with links to some research published in journals.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/coronavirus-is-new-but-your-immune-system-might-still-recognise-it-1.4324568

Maybe you should give "Dotty Delores" a little more credit Mrs O Bumble.

Not something you can rely on obviously but it may go somewhere to explaining why some very close contacts don't get ill and why some get a very severe dose while others get a milder one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Moving social gatherings from max 6 from 3 households to 1 is a pretty significant change. So does that mean I can't have 2 mates over in my garden for pints but we can meet at the pub?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

the group were fine i hear at class social distantly etc.
    not so much at all on lunch fk thing is a bstard easy spread. so in a space of 45 mins 15 out of 21 got it. fk me.

Sorry can someone translate these to English for me.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    They're not going to expel anyone nox, get your head around it.

Expelling a student requires a lot more than just deciding to do it, despite what they might try and tell you on the news.

How long would you have lasted in college if they were expelling people for public drinking? Sure you said yourself there's no law against it....

11 students suspended from UCC today for breaches of covid guidelines.

UL president patrolling with the Gardai no doubt to take names of anyone found misbehaving under covid guidelines in order to hand out punishments.

You might want to rethink the whole “they have no power to do anything” ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭xckjoo

UL president patrolling with the Gardai no doubt to take names of anyone found misbehaving under covid guidelines in order to hand out punishments.

World of difference between a suspension and an expulsion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I assume the guards will be into businesses also, after all there are many, many people breaking the 'rules'. These people will obviously lose their jobs as a result of overstaying their restaurant booking or some such. You should see if you could involved Nox, help the guards with the manpower issues. Save the army doing it.

xckjoo wrote: »
    World of difference between a suspension and an expulsion.

It’s not far off it and the poster made it sound like Universities wouldn’t be able to lift a finger against students breaking guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I assume the guards will be into businesses also, after all there are many, many people breaking the 'rules'. These people will obviously lose their jobs as a result of overstaying their restaurant booking or some such. You should see if you could involved Nox, help the guards with the manpower issues. Save the army doing it.

Don't know about that the Army should do nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,433 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The couple who infected 30 is nothing to do with any college/NUIG case.

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1311351528276529153

https://twitter.com/roinnslainte/status/1311364383000453122

• Registered Users Posts: 13,433 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Sorry can someone translate these to English for me.

https://twitter.com/patmcgrath/status/1311353800129687553

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭hynesie08

So no one was expelled, grand I was right.

University College Cork has confirmed that 11 students have been suspended following breaches of student rules, among them issues relating to public health.

They were temporary suspensions pending a hearing for a variety of reasons.

Read the article noxington........ ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭hynesie08

It’s not far off it and the poster made it sound like Universities wouldn’t be able to lift a finger against students breaking guidelines.

A suspension, an academic suspension and expulsion are 3 very different things, also you should review "without prejudice"

Nice try though noxford, you're getting closer to a relevant argument.....

Advertisement