Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Some interesting and heartening research in a study featured on RTE last night on how people are coping in the "next normal" Covid has delivered. Overall attitudes were more positive than I'd expected.

58% of people didn't want to return to life as it was.
    86% of people felt they now appreciate family more.
    90% of teens appreciate family more.

Asked specifically about things like alcohol use and mental health and the results were as follows.
    I think you'd have to take into account than when asked if things are worse for you than they were 6 months ago a proportion of people will always say yes, a lot can change in any 6 months. There is no comparative study with the same time last year.

00156680-1600.jpg

From : https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/1001/1168768-the-next-normal-pandemic-changed-lives/

hynesie08 wrote: »
    A suspension, an academic suspension and expulsion are 3 very different things, also you should review "without prejudice"

Nice try though noxford, you're getting closer to a relevant argument.....

You were scoffing at the idea that a university would be able to lift a finger. They have lifted a finger in a very serious way, just one step below expulsion so it’s you who needs to re evaluate your flawed argument.

It’s only a matter of time before there is an expulsion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭xckjoo

You were scoffing at the idea that a university would be able to lift a finger. They have lifted a finger in a very serious way, just one step below expulsion so it’s you who needs to re evaluate your flawed argument.

It was expulsion you were talking about, not other kinds of punishments. Expulsion from a university is so exceedingly rare that it's close to not existing. Suspensions are orders of magnitude lower on the totem pole. The university can and might do something to people caught flouting the restricts but it won't be expulsion. The lawyers probably wouldn't let them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Some interesting and heartening research in a study featured on RTE last night on how people are coping in the "next normal" Covid has delivered. Overall attitudes were more positive than I'd expected.

Asked specifically about things like alcohol use and mental health and the results were as follows.
    I think you'd have to take into account than when asked if things are worse for you than they were 6 months ago a proportion of people will always say yes, a lot can change in any 6 months. There is no comparative study with the same time last year.

00156680-1600.jpg

From : https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/1001/1168768-the-next-normal-pandemic-changed-lives/

I call bull**** on this - only 14% said they’ve been drinking more!
    Seeing that they’ve designed a logo for ‘the next normal’ has just strongly impacted my desire to drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

00156680-1600.jpg

I wonder how actual domestic violence figures are looking.

Also actual (vs self reported) alcohol consumption. Remember the supermarkets who were doing Christmas week levels every week in June-ish.

• Advertisement

Crime overall was down
    Other stats include:

Theft – down 38.7%Robbery – down 29.9%Sexual offences – down 20.5%Assaults and related offences -down 15.9%

While there has been a welcome reduction in the above offences, there have been areas which have seen an increase during the Covid crisis. 

Fraud, deception and related offences are up 7.1% with 7,887 incidents recorded. 

Drug offences are up 13.5% with 22,773 offences recorded in the three month period. 

Sadly there was a rise in domestic violence against women. The fact that a larger rose against women over 60 is surprising and shocking I think, and very sad. Of course any incidence of domestic violence is tragic.

Despite an overall fall of 16 per cent in assaults and related crimes in the Republic during the second quarter of the year – which is significant – the latest crime data from the Central Statistics Office (CSO) shows that drop is mostly accounted for by fewer men being assaulted.

For example, in the second quarter of the year the number of male assault victims dropped by 786 cases, or 26 per cent, when compared to the same people last year.

Similarly, the number of young females assaulted also declined. However, assaults on women in the 30-44 years age bracket increased by 13 cases, or two per cent, and attacks against women aged 60 years or over increased by 14 cases, or 18 per cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭hynesie08

A suspension (which this isn't yet) is basically a red mark on your academic file, do you think it's like secondary school where they'll be banned from the campus for 2 weeks? At worst they might not be allowed attend lectures, but would still be allowed into labs and practicals.......

Expulsions are so difficult for a university without an cast iron reason, and not breaking any laws isn't iron cast.

For someone who claims to have a PhD, you don't have a clue how university works....
    These options include fines, suspension, removal of library and/or computer facilities, prohibition to access to campus for a determined period or, in cases of a serious breach of Student Rules, expulsion. Students have a right to appeal the decision of the Disciplinary Panel.

Suspension is one step below expulsion is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Keep it local folks, remember there is a whole forum for general Covid discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

NUIG refused to move an MA course online even after a Covid outbreak in the class - half the course tested positive - crazy. https://connachttribune.ie/nuig-in-hot-water-over-covid-cluster/

• Advertisement

NUIG refused to move an MA course online even after a Covid outbreak in the class - half the course tested positive - crazy. https://connachttribune.ie/nuig-in-hot-water-over-covid-cluster/

This is unreal, negligent as far as their students are concerned but also it shows utter disregard for the health and economy of the whole city.
    I wonder if they're afraid their budget would be cut or fees they could demand for an MA would be cut?

This is unreal, negligent as far as their students are concerned but also it shows utter disregard for the health and economy of the whole city.
    I wonder if they're afraid their budget would be cut or fees they could demand for an MA would be cut?

I was told by a former lecturer of mine who runs an MA course that fees, particularly from non-EU students, were a major reason why the university initially resisted requests to have more classes moved online.

11 today.
    Too early to draw conclusions from that but fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I was told by a former lecturer of mine who runs an MA course that fees, particularly from non-EU students, were a major reason why the university initially resisted requests to have more classes moved online.

Insane story, but the money side of it may have a lot to do with it. A lot of non-EU students would be doing that course and the college wants their money bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Arghus wrote: »
    Insane story, but the money side of it may have a lot to do with it. A lot of non-EU students would be doing that course and the college wants their money bad.

Most colleges in the same boat, not just NUIG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Happy to see the Galway numbers come down. Great work all and hopefully it continues.

Insane numbers from the North. I had a feeling it would only be a matter of weeks before we see 1000 cases a day, north and south but I never knew it would be this quick.

The local pub in rural Galway is closed because of a close contact. Its just more of a precaution they say on the Facebook and the hse didn't ask them to close or isolate. A close contact in the pub was identified as a close contact to a positive. Not even open a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

saabsaab wrote: »
    Most colleges in the same boat, not just NUIG

Yes, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Never saw so many on the Prom today and lots swimming lovely to see especially in October

19 today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Yesterdays numbers for the country were insane. Over 600 cases. I wasn't expecting that figure. Not to mention the case numbers from the North. The numbers cane down for Galway 2 days in a row and that was great to see so it was disappointing to see another rise in the Galway numbers.

What is causing such a jump in numbers all around the country? Is th from schools reopening? Has complacency set in and dome people don't give a shot any more for the guidelines? If its that and it's house gatherings and parties causing the spike in cases - if these numbers continue to rise as they are, I really don't think people realise the winter and Christmas that's in store for us. It's going to be very bleak and dark for many. The best thing all around for everyone is for the guidelines to be followed and get the case numbers down as much as possible that goes for everyone - to slow down sicknesses and deaths and business closures this winter.

If cases continue to rise as they are we will see the virus reaching into more vulnerable demographics. Its impossible to hide them all away and we will be seeing 100s of cases a day and many deaths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Has to be the schools surely

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Has to be the schools surely

Schools, Colleges, people back from abroad etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This is Jack, 17yo.

He got Covid with no prior illnesses and is now learning to walk again.

Looks like countrywide level 5 is on the cards. I can’t say I disagree, the way things are going it’s the only option. Unfortunately my feelings that a nation wide lockdown would be needed again to control this virus look to be coming to pass.

Looks like countrywide level 5 is on the cards. I can’t say I disagree, the way things are going it’s the only option. Unfortunately my feelings that a nation wide lockdown would be needed again to control this virus look to be coming to pass.

I can see it happening eventually, but I think we'll see the country go to level 3 or level 4 first. There isn't the political will to follow NPHET yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

I heard there are several cases in Dunmore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

https://twitter.com/DundalkAllan/status/1312877954330955777

Moycullen is hopping tonight after they won their first ever County title, hopefully it doesn't result in something similar.

https://twitter.com/DundalkAllan/status/1312877954330955777

Moycullen is hopping tonight after they won their first ever County title, hopefully it doesn't result in something similar.
    All GAA Club fixtures have been suspended across the country.
    'In particular, post-match celebrations and a lack of social distancing at certain events have proved disappointing and problematic'

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

All GAA Club fixtures have been suspended across the country.
    'In particular, post-match celebrations and a lack of social distancing at certain events have proved disappointing and problematic'

In fairness, it's hard to blame the one club - it's been happening nationwide for the past few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Stewball

kippy wrote: »
    In fairness, it's hard to blame the one club - it's been happening nationwide for the past few weeks.

This is a post I made back at the beginning of August in the Galway GAA thread. A lot of GAA clubs have been a disaster when it comes to taking the guidelines seriously.
    Stewball wrote: »
    In general are clubs in the county adhering to the 200 capacity at a game?

Heard a few stories during the week about some clubs having well over the 200 allowed inside the ground during games.

Its been going on from day one and it only got worse over time.

Advertisement