Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Who is solidly speculating about Level 3 nationwide? I know it has not been ruled out, but I've yet to see solid commentary suggesting its on the table at the moment?
    It has been speculated about by Anthony Staines, Prof of Public Health at DCU. However, I think any initial move to phase three for counties outside Dublin will initially be localised to hotspots such as Donegal.
    Pen Rua wrote: »
    Is Prof Staines on NPHET? Does he hold any way on decision making? If not, I'm struggling to care what he has to say.

I'm fed up of newspapers running articles from this expert or that expert calling for this or that or those measures over there. They do nothing to help. They drive clicks to their sites, they cause discussion and chatter but moreover they increase anxiety and stress.

The only people I want to hear from are the decision makers: NPHET and Cabinet.

Whilst I of course appreciate we have various experts and professors and doctors and so on, the constant stream of click baiting articles is tiresome and does not help anyone.

Not having a go at Pen Rua because their point was reasonable at the time but just a reminder about how much things have changed in a week. https://twitter.com/Philip_Ryan/status/1313127740736970753

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

How many cases in Galway today?

Leo is on the Claire Byrne show. Did I hear him correctly a few minutes ago. It was at the end of his piece. Did he say having a different level or system of fines? My hearing. I might tune in on the plus 1 later to double check. A fine system is definitely in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

owlbethere wrote: »
    How many cases in Galway today?

Leo is on the Claire Byrne show. Did I hear him correctly a few minutes ago. It was at the end of his piece. Did he say having a different level or system of fines? My hearing. I might tune in on the plus 1 later to double check. A fine system is definitely in order.

No special mention for Galway

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1313161111550787584

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Looks like countrywide level 5 is on the cards. I can’t say I disagree, the way things are going it’s the only option. Unfortunately my feelings that a nation wide lockdown would be needed again to control this virus look to be coming to pass.

Or not. Seems your stopped clock isn't actually right twice a day.

Seems to be only a matter of time to be fair. People who haven't been following guidelines to date aren't suddenly going to start now.

• Advertisement

Seems to be only a matter of time to be fair. People who haven't been following guidelines to date aren't suddenly going to start now.

Point is in reference to Noxs weekly lockdown posts, which have been happening since June or thereabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Point is in reference to Noxs weekly lockdown posts, which have been happening since June or thereabouts.

He wasn't on his own in that. Was leaked earlier so looked on the cards.

The government hadn't the bottle to go to level 5 yesterday. It will happen before the month is out though unless people suddenly cop on a heed level 3 or else the guards are given more power of enforcement.

If you actually read my posts you would see I was calling for lockdowns to happen not predicting they would happen or certainly not immediately due to a lack of foresight from the government on how to deal with the virus. So stop saying "you are wrong all the time" pretty much everyting I have said is happening from rising cases to much increased country wide restrictions.

There were people laughing at my suggestion that country wide restrictions would be introduced again, where are they hiding now? The chances of a level 5 by the bank holiday weekend is very high also imo.

The government hadn't the bottle to go to level 5 yesterday. It will happen before the month is out though unless people suddenly cop on a heed level 3 or else the guards are given more power of enforcement.

If you actually read my posts you would see I was calling for lockdowns to happen not predicting they would happen or certainly not immediately due to a lack of foresight from the government on how to deal with the virus. So stop saying "you are wrong all the time" pretty much everyting I have said is happening from rising cases to much increased country wide restrictions.

There were people laughing at my suggestion that country wide restrictions would be introduced again, where are they hiding now? The chances of a level 5 by the bank holiday weekend is very high also imo.
    You've been predicting, demanding and hoping for lockdown for months Nox. You've also posted, in advance of what you thought would be a new lockdown to point out how you'd been right about it.

Meanwhile in the real world the country is happy not to be back in an economically crippling lockdown based on an ill thought out and woefully communicated plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Looks like countrywide level 5 is on the cards. I can’t say I disagree, the way things are going it’s the only option. Unfortunately my feelings that a nation wide lockdown would be needed again to control this virus look to be coming to pass.

What a sanctimonious load of twaddle. Nobody is interested in your feelings or your smug "I told you so". This is meant to be a news thread and we could all do without your idle speculation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Chill the jets guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Level 3 for now. It'll be interesting to see if they really do use enforcement and if we see checkpoints again by the motorway and any county crossings. Was there more info given on the stay in your own county guideline. Before they had a qualifier that you could go a few miles into the next county if you live close by. It feels less assured and consistent this time, imo.

In case someone wonders about L3

00156ca9-614.jpg?ratio=0.55

What a sanctimonious load of twaddle. Nobody is interested in your feelings or your smug "I told you so". This is meant to be a news thread and we could all do without your idle speculation.

It’s hardly idle speculation when it was NPHETs recommendation and until we heard otherwise yesterday after noon going to level 5 was expected by many.

We have the moaning about confusion, mental health and panic again. Just get on with it. Can't be long now to a vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,482 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Nphet were put in their place and rightly so.

They caused panic yesterday for small businesses. News of their level 5 recommendation shouldn't have appeared like that.

Hospital figures and deaths are the figures that count, and both are under control at the moment. It wouldn't surprise me if we moved to concentrate on those figures rather than new cases. We should imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

No one with Covid in UHG or in ICU

6 wrote: »
    Nphet were put in their place and rightly so.

They caused panic yesterday for small businesses. News of their level 5 recommendation shouldn't have appeared like that.

Hospital figures and deaths are the figures that count, and both are under control at the moment. It wouldn't surprise me if we moved to concentrate on those figures rather than new cases. We should imo.

There was around 40 people in hospital at the start of September. There's 150 today. Source.

PEg2BrH.png

NPHET's modelling predicts that we may have 43 people being admitted to hospital per day by November if this trend continues.

There was around 40 people in hospital at the start of September. There's 150 today. Source.

PEg2BrH.png

NPHET's modelling predicts that we may have 43 people being admitted to hospital per day by November if this trend continues.

There was almost 900 in hospital in April. We are a long way off the peak.

1% of hospital beds are being used by patients with Covid-19, and about 7% ICU.

https://www.thejournal.ie/nphet-decision-data-behind-it-5223756-Oct2020/

What's the profile of people in ICU and hospital? Is that data available?Age range and pre existing conditions breakdown would be interesting data to analyse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Stewball

Two Galway United players test positive. Game Friday night is postponed and the rest of the squad are restricting their movements.
    https://galwayunitedfc.ie/two-players-test-positive-for-covid-19/

Good to see the protocols being followed correctly. Big difference with the carry on of some GAA clubs around the country.

What's the profile of people in ICU and hospital? Is that data available?Age range and pre existing conditions breakdown would be interesting data to analyse.

You seem to be looking for more data in one situation but less in the other?

There was almost 900 in hospital in April. We are a long way off the peak.

1% of hospital beds are being used by patients with Covid-19, and about 7% ICU.

https://www.thejournal.ie/nphet-decision-data-behind-it-5223756-Oct2020/

If we get to admitting 43 people a day we won't be long heading back to where we were in April. We were admitting between 50-60 people a day back then so it's not a million miles off.

I can only find cumulative totals in this document here.

X2CJNA5.png

• Registered Users Posts: 13,131 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Under the last "stay in your county" rules you were allowed up to 20km away from your home into a neighbouring county if you lived close to a border. Does this apply again?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/life-under-level-3-what-stays-open-and-where-can-i-travel-1.4372761
    You are advised to stay inside your county unless you have to travel for work, educational or other essential purposes.
    https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/f3d24-all-remaining-counties-to-join-donegal-and-dublin-on-level-3-under-irelands-plan-for-living-with-covid-19/
    people should remain in their county (they must not leave to travel either domestically or internationally), with the exception of those who must travel for work, education and other essential purposes.
    I don't see anything specific other than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

flazio wrote: »
    Under the last "stay in your county" rules you were allowed up to 20km away from your home into a neighbouring county if you lived close to a border. Does this apply again?

I don't know, but it would be a bit absurd if a Ballinasloe person could go to Clifden but couldn't go to Taughmaconnell. Or a Portumna person to Lorrha, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

No specific figures for Galway today or yesterday. I think that's very frustrating. Knowledge is power, power to know what we should avoid and if things are reducing those of us who are being safe can increase activity a little.

Looking at the graph it looks like in and around 21 cases today and yesterday from my reading of it.

No specific figures for Galway today or yesterday. I think that's very frustrating. Knowledge is power, power to know what we should avoid and if things are reducing those of us who are being safe can increase activity a little.

Looking at the graph it looks like in and around 21 cases today and yesterday from my reading of it.

It's unfortunate. People just won't cop on and do what they are being asked to. There was a party near me last week. Marquee set up. I wasn't there so I don't know how many people attended and if people maintained social distancing. It was a 40th birthday party. It was hardly essential. There's other muck too with people not isolating with cough symptoms and coming back from abroad and not restricting movements. There are people who don't give a fcuking ****e if they catch this virus and pass it onto others.

owlbethere wrote: »
    It's unfortunate. People just won't cop on and do what they are being asked to. There was a party near me last week. Marquee set up. I wasn't there so I don't know how many people attended and if people maintained social distancing. It was a 40th birthday party. It was hardly essential. There's other muck too with people not isolating with cough symptoms and coming back from abroad and not restricting movements. There are people who don't give a fcuking ****e if they catch this virus and pass it onto others.

Sadly you're right. There are even those who want to pass it on to others!

• Advertisement

saabsaab wrote: »
    Sadly you're right. There are even those who want to pass it on to others!

I very well believe it.

Advertisement