Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Do we know the numbers in Galway today?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Everdene

Red_Wake wrote: »
    Do we know the numbers in Galway today?

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/675cb-statement-from-the-national-public-health-emergency-team-tuesday-6-october/#cases-by-county

Edited to add - just relooking at that I think the county data is two days old

• Registered Users Posts: 25,177 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Any of these 132 fixed garda checkpoints around Galway?
    https://www.thejournal.ie/checkpoints-garda-level-3-5225344-Oct2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

zell12 wrote: »
    Any of these 132 fixed garda checkpoints around Galway?
    https://www.thejournal.ie/checkpoints-garda-level-3-5225344-Oct2020/

Logic would say that they will be on County boundaries but ......

Looks like one at the end of the Motorway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

After the lockdown we had low cases. Over the past few months the cases rose. There's a few different problem areas now that I see it. The public health message of keeping contacts low is falling on some deaf ears. Many people did grasp it, thankfully but others are failing. House gatherings and parties are still happening. I think schools are a problem too. There's a Facebook group - 'alerting parents to outbreaks in schools Ireland'. That groups is a real eye-opener. Like covid positives pupils and teachers not identified as a close contacts. Another teacher wrote that she's a primary teacher and as part of her class every Monday morning there is a class talking experience. She goes around to all the pupils asking what they did over the weekend. I suppose it's an exercise to encourage speech instead of being nosy or whatever. A lot of pupils do say of weekends packed with social activities - weekends away, family parties, sleepovers with cousins and friends etc. Basically for a lot of people public health advice of keeping close contacts low is failing. Then there's also some new nursing home clusters now.

I thought Leo came across very well the other night on the Claire Byrne show and I was nodding along to what he was saying. A level 3 is not going to target the problem areas though where spread is occurring - in homes, schools, nursing homes etc. Virus is going to keep circulating and rising and I think we will be seeing a level 5 by December.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

But even under level 5, schools are still open.

The levels, as they are, are just not fit for purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭ratracer

The tailback at the end of the N6 this morning were ridiculous. Caused only by the Garda checkpoints.

This is completely an optics exercise. Is it no quite obvious that the traffic there is going to work/ school at this tine if day? A completely futile checkpoint, that will only cause unnecessary stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

People on the advertiser Facebook saying there were 32 cases in Galway yesterday according to "that tds Facebook".

Anyone in a position to confirm or deny or know what td might be posting this?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

The Garda commissioner yesterday said that checkpoints were there to discourage people leaving their county, and making this awkward. The checkpoint this morning on the N6 is delaying commuters, workers and parents dropping children to school. Sweet FA of them leaving the county, all heading into Galway city for work/education, which is regarded as essential. The guards are going to destroy any goodwill people have towards them or the restrictions with this kind of nonsense. By all means have a checkpoint near Ballinasloe where people might be actually leaving the county. Not on the main commuter route at rush hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

I don't know, but it would be a bit absurd if a Ballinasloe person could go to Clifden but couldn't go to Taughmaconnell. Or a Portumna person to Lorrha, etc.

Agree to a point, County is used because its so familiar. Our stats issued are incidence Rate per County and per Local Electoral Area.
    https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/
    I thought after intial outbreak Gov might Zone regions into the Public Health Area's - never happened but can see why that County is still been used. Keep it simple.

• Advertisement

ratracer wrote: »
    The tailback at the end of the N6 this morning were ridiculous. Caused only by the Garda checkpoints.

This is completely an optics exercise. Is it no quite obvious that the traffic there is going to work/ school at this tine if day? A completely futile checkpoint, that will only cause unnecessary stress.

That carry on isn't going to slow down the spread of the virus. Optics exercise is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

Agree to a point, County is used because its so familiar. Our stats issued are incidence Rate per County and per Local Electoral Area.
    https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/
    I thought after intial outbreak Gov might Zone regions into the Public Health Area's - never happened but can see why that County is still been used. Keep it simple.

I agree that county boundaries are useful as they are well defined, but there should be leeway to enter an adjoining county by 20km as there was in March/April.

Otherwise you have a situation where someone in Glentaun, Ballinasloe, can't take a two minute walk into Co Roscommon but can drive 140km to Renvyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

I agree that county boundaries are useful as they are well defined, but there should be leeway to enter an adjoining county by 20km as there was in March/April.

Otherwise you have a situation where someone in Glentaun, Ballinasloe, can't take a two minute walk into Co Roscommon but can drive 140km to Renvyle.

Agree with ya. How people move is more important.
    When I said "Keep it simple" - thats the Civil service mindset.
    Lots of examples Nationwide. Limerick City and South Clare etc
    Useful map of commutting patterns to the major urban areas
    http://census.cso.ie/p6map43/

35 cases :/

"Highlights" from the press conference.

All indications of disease have gotten worse since Sunday. They are now more worried than they were when they asked for level 5.

2 weeks ago the models suggested we would have 590 cases on Oct 7th.
    Today Oct 7th we have 611 cases.
    Cases are growing in real time in accordance with the modelling of a 1.4r rate.
    Modelling shows that by November we will be at 1100 - 1500 cases. By Nov 7th 1600-2300 cases.

That's not inevitable. It's entirely dictated by behaviour now.

Numbers being hospitalised and put in ICU are in line with last time as different age demographics are affected. It has not gotten milder.

Hospitalizations now rising at exponential rate. We are heading towards a time where we will not be able to run normal health service (example given cancer treatment, emergency surgery, accute presentation of serious illness) along side covid services.

Covid patient needs 20 days hospitalisation on average. Normal patient needs on average upto 9 days. Covid patients put more strain on hospital service than others.

Long Covid mentioned and that they are seeing patients of all ages with heart and lung damage after suffering covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,661 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Listening to Tony Holohan there makes me think there could be another level 5 lockdown again soon.

Maybe lock the country down for 4 weeks in an attempt to get it under control again so that we can have some sort of a normal Christmas.

"Highlights" from the press conference.

2 weeks ago the models suggested we would have 590 cases on Oct 7th.
    Today Oct 7th we have 611 cases.
    Cases are growing in real time in accordance with the modelling of a 1.4r rate.
    Modelling shows that by November we will be at 1100 - 1500 cases. By Nov 7th 1600-2300 cases.

That's not inevitable. It's entirely dictated by behaviour now.

Numbers being hospitalised and put in ICU are in line with last time as different age demographics are affected. It has not gotten milder.

And yet a lot of people still are unable to get it and understand the message that is being put out to the public. People are not able to comprehend what's involved to keep contacts low. I was reading a post on Facebook from a teacher. Children going into school telling of what their weekend plans were - birthday parties, sleepovers, visiting, get-togethers. Some people don't care.

Fitz* wrote: »
    Listening to Tony Holohan there makes me think there could be another level 5 lockdown again soon.

Maybe lock the country down for 4 weeks in an attempt to get it under control again so that we can have some sort of a normal Christmas.

Government is going to dither on the level 5 and lock us down by Dec the 1st. No doubt about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Cases in Dunmore, Glenamaddy and Williamstown in the north of the county

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Source?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Any in the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

cefh17 wrote: »
    Source?
    Several people have been told to self isolate after a cluster in 1 of the towns, cant say which as it will identify the victims

owlbethere wrote: »
    Government is going to dither on the level 5 and lock us down by Dec the 1st. No doubt about that.

Level 5 is really little more restrictive than 4 or 3.

As long as schools are open, family life will continue as normal.

Level 5 is really little more restrictive than 4 or 3.

As long as schools are open, family life will continue as normal.

The restrictive levels are fcuking ridiculous. 15 people can have a meal from an establishment so long as the seating is outside. 15 people for outdoor dining. But 25 people can attend a wedding function. Where's the sense in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭ingalway

owlbethere wrote: »
    And yet a lot of people still are unable to get it and understand the message that is being put out to the public. People are not able to comprehend what's involved to keep contacts low. I was reading a post on Facebook from a teacher. Children going into school telling of what their weekend plans were - birthday parties, sleepovers, visiting, get-togethers. Some people don't care.
    Rumour removed. Only post with sources please.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

We loosened our physical distancing in July between toddler and grandparents (all under 70) but reintroduced it today. It's incredibly hard, but definitely seeing that the distancing message has been lost. "Reduce social contacts" means see less people but we all should be continuing to physically distance. I'm not sure THAT message is getting out.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

ingalway wrote: »
    <snip>

Is Leisure Land not closed the last few weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭ingalway

cefh17 wrote: »
    Is Leisure Land not closed the last few weeks?
    Still open. Even hiring staff.

"Reduce social contacts" means see less people but we all should be continuing to physically distance. I'm not sure THAT message is getting out.

Totally agree.

I blame mask-wearing: there's a strong if un-stated sense that if we're both in masks, it's ok we don't need to distance any more.

When in fact, the opposite is true: if things are bad enough that we're asked to mask, then we need to hang back whenever we can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Totally agree.

I blame mask-wearing: there's a strong if un-stated sense that if we're both in masks, it's ok we don't need to distance any more.

When in fact, the opposite is true: if things are bad enough that we're asked to mask, then we need to hang back whenever we can.

It's a painful decision. But we have to consider not only our own circle but the circle of others in our circle. That message isn't clear either. I'm hoping the messaging will shift to this because I genuinely think rifts will occur. I'm keeping my kiddo away from family (physically) for THEIR and OUR protection.

@whimiscal thanks for your earlier post with the updates, I find them really clear and useful, head is bombarded this weather!

Advertisement