Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Scienceless

Several people have been told to self isolate after a cluster in 1 of the towns, cant say which as it will identify the victims

Identify the victims? No it wont. Cases confirmed in 2 of the 3 towns you mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Cases in Dunmore, Glenamaddy and Williamstown in the north of the county

See the OP - "Any information or news posted needs to be in the public domain and/or from a credible source".

It may be true what you claim, but you need a source or don't post as it's just a rumour without a source.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Despite a significant spike in cases, Covid-19 hospital admissions have been low, according to the HSE, and yet just one ICU bed was available in UHG or Portiuncula on Tuesday.

In the week to Sunday October 4, Galway recorded 136 new confirmed cases of Covid-19, the biggest weekly increase since the pandemic began.

During that week, there were 51 Covid clusters confirmed in the HSE West counties of Galway, Roscommon and Mayo, and the vast majority of them – 41 – were in private homes. Seven were described as ‘other’, which includes retail, hotels, pubs, extended family and travel related. Three outbreaks were in the workplace.

The highest daily increase in cases (28) was recorded last Tuesday, September 29; and with 269 confirmed cases, September was the worst month on record.

For comparison, in April, when the first wave peaked, the total number of cases was 266; the highest daily total was 26; and the highest weekly total was 92.

And yesterday (Wednesday), a further 35 new cases in Galway were announced by the Department of Health.

https://connachttribune.ie/galway-records-new-highs-in-covid-19-cases/?fbclid=IwAR3Q_KPzMSMYZ4FG_sCRn_zL8L1MOrailf8xcKgck0cMNtAABxlicYKAwWk

This information needs to be shared. Such low ICU care provision available means no one is safe, doesn't matter what age you are, have an accident, fall, illness requiring serious care and you could be in big trouble. This is what we are like without Covid, it really illustrates that we cannot afford others getting sick with Covid without seriously compromising everyone in the county. We are completely dependant on the actions of each other to ensure those of all ages survive this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

https://connachttribune.ie/galway-records-new-highs-in-covid-19-cases/?fbclid=IwAR3Q_KPzMSMYZ4FG_sCRn_zL8L1MOrailf8xcKgck0cMNtAABxlicYKAwWk

This information needs to be shared. Such low ICU care provision available means no one is safe, doesn't matter what age you are, have an accident, fall, illness requiring serious care and you could be in big trouble. This is what we are like without Covid, it really illustrates that we cannot afford others getting sick with Covid without seriously compromising everyone in the county. We are completely dependant on the actions of each other to ensure those of all ages survive this.

Tuesday was the 6th and UHG confirmed they had no cases

No confirmed or suspected cases of COVID-19 at UHG - Galway Bay FM
    https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/no-confirmed-or-suspected-cases-of-covid-19-at-uhg/

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Tuesday was the 6th and UHG confirmed they had no cases

No confirmed or suspected cases of COVID-19 at UHG - Galway Bay FM
    https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/no-confirmed-or-suspected-cases-of-covid-19-at-uhg/

Yes, I said "this is what we are like without covid", meaning without it in hospitals.

Level of hospital capacity however is crucial in terms of considering just how dangerous covid would be to our community.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,177 ✭✭✭✭zell12

This won't load properly for me https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/
    Can someone share the figures for the Galway City three electoral areas, it appears Galway City Central is the worst hit area in the county

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Yes, I said "this is what we are like without covid", meaning without it in hospitals.

Level of hospital capacity however is crucial in terms of considering just how dangerous covid would be to our community.
    While I understand and agree with your point, in the event of a serious escalation of hospitalisations, elective surgeries will be cancelled which will result in more critical care beds being freed up.

Lower unnecessary journeys will also result in lower numbers of car and bicycle accidents. Pubs being shut also has an effect too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

zell12 wrote: »
    This won't load properly for me https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/
    Can someone share the figures for the Galway City three electoral areas, it appears Galway City Central is the worst hit area in the county
    Yes - the data is up to Monday (5th) and it shows a 14-day incidence rate per 100K for Galway City of:

CityWest: 99
    CityEast: 113
    CityCentre: 217

By contrast, the lowest rate in the county is the Ballinasloe area (which extends north as far as Williamstown) with a rate of 21.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭snoopy84

I think the parents are well aware of their child's if any underlying health issues and don't need you making assumptions about their children on boards. I'm presuming you have no idea how difficult this lockdown has been on these families
    Even to the point where myself and my partner decided there is no way the covid could damage our physical health as much as this is damaging our sons mental health and his development. I'm sure they weren't breaking any restrictions by going to leisureland or they would have been closed. The last thing these families need is people judging them for their choices in what is already a really difficult path with or without covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

snoopy84 wrote: »
    I think the parents are well aware of their child's if any underlying health issues and don't need you making assumptions about their children on boards. I'm presuming you have no idea how difficult this lockdown has been on these families
    Even to the point where myself and my partner decided there is no way the covid could damage our physical health as much as this is damaging our sons mental health and his development. I'm sure they weren't breaking any restrictions by going to leisureland or they would have been closed. The last thing these families need is people judging them for their choices in what is already a really difficult path with or without covid.

Be helpful if you quoted the post youre replying to, for context.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭snoopy84

ingalway wrote:
    <snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Again, please don't post hearsay/rumours. There need to be a source.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

https://connachttribune.ie/blow-for-galway-city-centre-as-retailers-shut-up-shop-for-good/
    "it was revealed there are almost 50 vacant units within a one-kilometre radius of Eyre Square."

https://connachttribune.ie/future-office-developments-in-doubt-due-to-pandemic/
    “83% of 7,200 respondents wanted to continue working remotely either some or all of the time and since then, we’ve seen the discussion move towards a more blended form of working [between home and office] because some do miss the social dynamic.”

This one is less significant. It's based on results from an NUIG survey...they tend to be pants and what workers want isn't necessarily going to dictate the direction businesses go. Would be better for them to survey those who own businesses with offices. The cost of running an office and now being forced to invest in technology to support remote work anyway would be bigger factors than what workers want. It'll always come down to money and what's best for business, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

Anyone know if many of the pubs in town bothered to stay open?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Dew drop, Neachtains and Carroll's definitely are open.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Either Front Door/Sonnys or Bunch Of Grapes (or both, sorry can't remember how far up people were sitting.)

Blue Note is doing a booking system for their beer garden. You pay €20 for the 1.45 slot and book a ticket. That goes off your drinks bill and off licence sales. Sensible solution if you utilise the offie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Ti choili was open as well when I passed

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

Ti Neachtain and Bunch of Grapes had people outside last night. Neachtains have an outside enclosed tent up in the evening. There was people outside Buskers area too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Ti Neachtain and Bunch of Grapes had people outside last night. Neachtains have an outside enclosed tent up in the evening. There was people outside Buskers area too.

A couple of the pub have two licences I think. Maybe Neachtains and perhaps Sonnys? So they can do 15 each 'side'. Maybe different toilets used.

The central ones will get constant walk ups, but not so much the ones out a bit so they have to either close or think of a solution.

Wonder if the take away pint gang will be put off by the hailstones ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,177 ✭✭✭✭zell12

09/10
    617 cases nationally
    123 in Dublin, 107 in Cork, 42 in Meath, 36 in Kerry, 35 in Galway and the remaining 274 cases are located across 21 counties.

• Advertisement

Not Galway related but a quick piece from the BBC today on Long Covid Syndrome. Worth a watch at just 3 mins. The UK now have "hundreds of thousands" of people with this. Shows just how important it is for people of all ages and health backgrounds to be careful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=share&v=LAlRU_CEO50&fbclid=IwAR2cH4W4Vib0aPseMmX-Tq_DzS4o4Dui9PKQ8XizCLEhDZPbjJsEqMHf6vA&app=desktop

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

A group of anti-mask protesters gathered at Eyre Square with large banners and tricolours today, flouting public health restrictions and shouting abuse at passers by.

One woman at the protest who was not wearing a face covering deliberately coughed at a group of young people on Eyre Square.

The coughing woman appears to be Dolores Webster, AKA Dee Wall, who is known to attend anti-lockdown marches alongside prominent figures who believe Covid-19 to be a hoax.

Banners at the rally included: ‘Only Slaves Wear Masks’ and ‘RTÉ is the Virus’ – and it is understood some of those at the protest travelled from Dublin to be there.

https://www.galwaydaily.com/news/woman-coughs-at-teenagers-at-disgusting-anti-mask-protest-at-eyre-square/

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

One woman at the protest who was not wearing a face covering deliberately coughed at a group of young people on Eyre Square

jail de cnnt

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Neachtains open.

People outside BoG were actually diners from the High Cafe upstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭ratracer

Neachtains open.

People outside BoG were actually diners from the High Cafe upstairs.

I walked past Neachtains today. The tents are good cover from the elements, but I couldn’t help but feel the tables were so close together. I certainly wouldn’t feel comfortable sitting there nursing a pint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

She's Gemma O Dohertys friend. What was she doing coming to Galway? Clearly rent a mob type of gathering. Disgusting thing that she did, coughing about the place and into someone's face. Hope she gets smacked in the head by a truck on her way home although that might ruin the life of a truck driver so maybe not.

What on earth was she doing videoing a group of minors? Hopefully there is something in the law about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

God forgive me for saying this, but i hope that shower of cretins get a seriously bad dose of this virus.It's exactly what they deserve tbh.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

1018 nationally

66 in Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

1018 nationally

66 in Galway.

1.012 actually

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Advertisement