Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 25,177 ✭✭✭✭zell12

What is the timeframe for doubling of cases again? - ie how long before we hit 2000 per day?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

zell12 wrote: »
    What is the timeframe for doubling of cases again? - ie how long before we hit 2000 per day?

Mid November I think? whimsical had a good post a few pages back looking at the modeling if we made no changes

• Registered Users Posts: 25,177 ✭✭✭✭zell12

11/10
    814 new cases of Covid-19 have been confirmed
    226 cases in Dublin, 77 in Cork, 64 in Galway, 56 in Donegal, 48 in Meath and the remaining 343 cases spread across the rest of the counties.

That means all counties recorded cases today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Salthill was absolutely jammers along the prom, since that piece of Claddagh was closed off they have simply started gathering along the museum/longwalk side & down to the docks & along the other Pier head at Claddagh across from Claddagh Church.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,482 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Level 4's incoming presumably

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

6 wrote: »
    Level 4's incoming presumably

Level 3 will need two weeks to show results. But if the North goes to a circuit breaker perhaps that will force Republic to follow them quicker than expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Psychlops wrote: »
    since that piece of Claddagh was closed off they have simply started gathering along the museum/longwalk side & down to the docks & along the other Pier head at Claddagh across from Claddagh Church.

That was the point though, to spread them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

Diagnosed two years ago with Ankylosing Spondylitis — a type of arthritis that mainly affects the spine — Coombs, from Galway city, said her hospital appointments have all been cancelled since the start of the pandemic.

So too, the physiotherapy and acupuncture that helped her manage the condition, which makes it difficult getting dressed in the morning, when it takes as long as two hours to limber up.

And, because her prescriptions include immunosuppressants to prevent her inflammatory strain of arthritis attacking her joints, she is considered particularly vulnerable to the coronavirus.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/i-m-really-stressed-about-catching-the-virus-says-woman-27-with-arthritis-1.4378149?fbclid=IwAR1U74VuMfOs9ilwKlKZE3khhK_HcOt-6BCxJM7Z2B01utOrkoG74VmaqpQ

• Registered Users Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

• Advertisement

But it didnt spread them out, they have merely gathered in the above mentioned locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

2 cases in the hospital in Galway.

I would say the hope was they would all go home to their homes around the country and not be spreading covid around Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I would say the hope was they would all go home to their homes around the country and not be spreading covid around Galway.

They'd leave Galway due to the middle arch being cordoned off? I mean I know it can be nice to relax and chill out down there on a sunny evening but I don't think it's the only reason people come to Galway Nox.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

What pubs are opened now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

statesaver wrote: »
    What pubs are opened now ?

Taaffes, dew drop, front door, ti coili, ti neachtains is all I noticed today. Buskers is currently closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭testtech05

Taaffes, dew drop, front door, ti coili, ti neachtains is all I noticed today. Buskers is currently closed.

Seven have posted on social media today that one of the staff is a close contact of a confirmed case so they have closed.

They'd leave Galway due to the middle arch being cordoned off? I mean I know it can be nice to relax and chill out down there on a sunny evening but I don't think it's the only reason people come to Galway Nox.

The comment was directed at students which you would hope the more awkward it is around for doing anything around town the less reasons they have for sticking around and would be better off at home not paying rent etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭testtech05

The comment was directed at students which you would hope the more awkward it is around for doing anything around town the less reasons they have for sticking around and would be better off at home not paying rent etc.

Whatever about the option of going home, it definitely wouldn't be as easy as just "not paying rent" for most of them. Id imagine the majority who moved to Galway will be tied into leases etc and still be liable to pay their rent.

testtech05 wrote: »
    Whatever about the option of going home, it definitely wouldn't be as easy as just "not paying rent" for most of them. Id imagine the majority who moved to Galway will be tied into leases etc and still be liable to pay their rent.

The University has said it will refund any students who want to go home and many student house share arrangements are just causal by the month type setups what you can leave after a months notice. In any case everyone knows leases are worth nothing unless its the LL trying to break them since our biased tenancy laws are are totally anti-LL/pro tenant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭holly8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

holly8 wrote: »

I came in to wrote just this - that there's covid cases brewing in Moycullen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Galway showed a disappointing rise in cases since late last week. 66 here and there.

Disappointing to hear about cases in Moycullen. When will people learn? We are told not to congregate in crowds and to keep contacts low. It's there to try and keep us all safe and to slow the spread of the virus. I don't understand why people are failing to understand that part of the guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

owlbethere wrote: »
    Galway showed a disappointing rise in cases since late last week. 66 here and there.

Disappointing to hear about cases in Moycullen. When will people learn? We are told not to congregate in crowds and to keep contacts low. It's there to try and keep us all safe and to slow the spread of the virus. I don't understand why people are failing to understand that part of the guidelines.

GAA = Get Away with Anything

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

GAA = Get Away with Anything

I wouldn't often say this, but the GAA have worked hard to stay within the rules to keep the sport going.
    The individual clubs and fans on the other hand....

owlbethere wrote: »
    When will people learn? We are told not to congregate in crowds and to keep contacts low. It's there to try and keep us all safe and to slow the spread of the virus. I don't understand why people are failing to understand that part of the guidelines.

I think this is what you call Human Nature, put yourself in the shoes of a person that wants a girlfriend or boyfriend or any kind of social interaction, you think they can hold out for another few months or possibly a year? Not a hope, depression will set in real fast. People need & want human contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

I think this is what you call Human Nature, put yourself in the shoes of a person that wants a girlfriend or boyfriend or any kind of social interaction, you think they can hold out for another few months or possibly a year? Not a hope, depression will set in real fast. People need & want human contact.
    Absolutely. And they could have that if they gave up their post football match parties that are now a problem in about six or seven counties......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

The Christmas Market (and, Comedy Festival) have been cancelled.

https://www.galwaycity.ie/news/1803/59/
    Following the public health guidelines and the release of the governments ‘Resilience and Recovery 2020-2021: Plan for Living with COVID-19’ framework, Galway City Council has taken the difficult decision in the interest of public safety to cancel activities and events in Eyre Square in the coming months including the Christmas Markets and comedy festival.

We understand this news will come as a disappointment to the general public, event producers and traders as well as the local businesses.

Galway City Council would like to acknowledge efforts of the various event producers in adjusting their plans to comply with the latest and changing guidelines. However, Galway City Council has decided that in the interests of public health, there will be no organised events in Eyre Square for the foreseeable future.

Galway City Council is committed to delivering a safe, socially distant Christmas experience in Galway this year and we are currently working with Fáilte Ireland on developing this concept. Galway City Council will also fully fund the city Christmas lights for 2020 and is working to ensure that Galway is an attractive and safe place to live, work and visit during the Christmas period.

Galway City Council hopes to welcome, as soon as is safe and possible, events back to Eyre Square in 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Being somewhat human I understand that but there are limits and it won't go on forever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Advertisement