Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Stewball

We're going the same way as the north. It's not going to improve under Level 3 restrictions.

The government need to find a pair of balls over the weekend and make the call.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Stewball wrote: »
    We're going the same way as the north. It's not going to improve under Level 3 restrictions.

The government need to find a pair of balls over the weekend and make the call.

Or people could cop the feck on and reduce there contacts! Although I don't see that happen.

What's a lock down going to do when people return to there ways after it, another lock down and continue the cycle as more and more business go bust?

How do we educate the people to keep distance and reduce contacts?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,661 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

To be honest, I do think that people are keeping their contacts lower. Certainly in my demographic of 28-38 I can't see a whole lot of unnecessary activity.

The 19-25 demographic is always going to be high, especially in the non-local student population. I'm working from home for nearly 8 months and nearly cracking up not seeing any other humans bar the shopkeeper and I know people in Galway City. It's going to be a lot worse not knowing people in the city and being alone. Of course it's going to drive you to other houses for some human interaction.

The elephant in the room is still schools being open and 30 odd households mixing every day because of it.

The GAA contributed an awful lot of cases nationwide IMO. Not the games themselves, but the scenes before and after by the players and supporters congregating in their hundreds. Some clubs played players when they were awaiting test results too and that was just idiotic and wrong.

I wonder is this for all level 3 counties, or just Ulster?

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1316447601768751104?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

We don't. This thing is going on long enough for people to know how they should be behaving.

I can't see anything except a cycle of lockdowns and releases until a virus is found, we develop herd immunity or the virus mutates and becomes less dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Stewball

You can't educate idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

serfboard wrote: »
    We don't. This thing is going on long enough for people to know how they should be behaving.

I can't see anything except a cycle of lockdowns and releases until a virus is found, we develop herd immunity or the virus mutates and becomes less dangerous.

I believe there is still a lot of people who actually don't understand how the virus works and do need a level of education. Not everyone understands the numbers, the r-value etc..

In regards a cycle of lockdowns, the economy won't take it. People need to understand that this is going to go on for at least another 8 months because if we don't all act together then the future is going to be very bleak because someone has to pay for all of this.

I still limit the stores I go to but the handful i go to I have seen a big decrease in people keeping a distance, also numbers in shops has increased as complacency sets in unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Cabinet has agreed to ban home visits from tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Fitz* wrote: »
    Certainly in my demographic of 28-38 I can't see a whole lot of unnecessary activity.

The 19-25 demographic is always going to be high, especially in the non-local student population.

I blame the pesky 26-27 demographic

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭ingalway

Stewball wrote: »
    You can't educate idiots.
    There is no vacine for stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Highlights of the news conference relating to Galway.

No visitors to home or gardens.

Away from home up to 6 people from two households can meet outdoors.
    I think this is so people don't use others toilets and bathrooms.

We need to stop using visors immediately and start using face masks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭ratracer

saabsaab wrote: »
    Cabinet has agreed to ban home visits from tomorrow night.

This is the most farcical decision made by this govt to date!

I’ve abided as best I can to all the restrictions enforced, but tonight in just about done with it. I will absolutely allow my neighbours call to my house. I’ve only had one family at a time over, and I’m not going to change that now.

Is it a ‘ban’ or a recommendation, is it enforceable and what penalty can I face?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

ratracer wrote: »

I’ve abided as best I can to all the restrictions enforced, but tonight in just about done with it. I will absolutely allow my neighbours call to my house. I’ve only had one family at a time over, and I’m not going to change that now.

Is it a ‘ban’ or a recommendation, is it enforceable and what penalty can I face?

How could it be a ban? Are there going to be guards at everyone's front gate? No,so it's another guideline, follow it if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

It’s advisory. i.e. it’s more bollocks and entirely unenforceable. They’re hoping that a large enough proportion of people abide by the “advice”. Trouble is, the % of people on board with it is dwindling by the day, particularly when the so called rules are so utterly confusing and inconsistent.

It’s advisory. i.e. it’s more bollocks and entirely unenforceable. They’re hoping that a large enough proportion of people abide by the “advice”. Trouble is, the % of people on board with it is dwindling by the day, particularly when the so called rules are so utterly confusing and inconsistent. For me it’s totally unworkable for my own personal setup so I certainly won’t be heeding it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

People should know what's sensible and what's reckless by now and not have to wait for the government to spell everything out for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭ratracer

How could it be a ban? Are there going to be guards at everyone's front gate? No,so it's another guideline, follow it if you wish.

Exactly, however the way it’s reported in the media is once again, stupid!

Cabinet agrees ban on all household visits nationwide - RTÉ News

• Registered Users Posts: 45,482 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

JoeA3 wrote: »
    It’s advisory. i.e. it’s more bollocks and entirely unenforceable. They’re hoping that a large enough proportion of people abide by the “advice”. Trouble is, the % of people on board with it is dwindling by the day, particularly when the so called rules are so utterly confusing and inconsistent.

It is advisory atm, but it could eventually get to a point where these things are enforceable. Hopefully not.

6 wrote: »
    It is advisory atm, but it could eventually get to a point where these things are enforceable. Hopefully not.

It’s not enforceable. There’s neither the desire nor a fraction of the man power required and god help us all if it ever came to that (it won’t).

JoeA3 wrote: »
    It’s not enforceable. There’s neither the desire nor a fraction of the man power required and god help us all if it ever came to that (it won’t).

If it got really bad that can introduce whatever they want. Fines etc.

Fines are all good and well if there’s a perceived notion of it being enforced. Logistically in this particular case, it’s an impossibility imo.

• Advertisement

Introduce it all they want, putting things like that into practice would be a whole other story and largely unworkable. Unless Nox gets his way and has the army on every road in the country.

Introduce it all they want, putting things like that into practice would be a whole other story and largely unworkable. Unless Nox gets his way and has the army on every road in the country.

There was checkpoints during lockdown back in April or so.

Tbf, if it moved to Level 5 for example there wouldn't be a huge amount of people on the roads, and most people would probably stick to themselves unless they really had to move.

Tbf, if it moved to Level 5 for example there wouldn't be a huge amount of people on the roads, and most people would probably stick to themselves unless they really had to move.

Different situations than the restrictions announced tonight though.

Most will obey. If that doesn't work it could go like France and a curfew imposed.

Different situations than the restrictions announced tonight though.

True.

Was talking about if it gets worse. Hopefully it doesn't get to that, but the signs aren't great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

A lot of people I know that were 99 to 100% on board with guidelines threw their hands up tonight and gave up.

As someone said to me, you can go to a beer garden with 14 others for pints but not for a cuppa tea with your Mam in your own Garden.

Schools still open. Did you every try to give guidelines to smallies?

Loads of parents go to the park together etc, now it will just be in benches of two houses.

I understand the pros and cons to all of these but there is no consistency and it is absolutely no circuit breaker.

inisboffin wrote: »
    A lot of people I know that were 99 to 100% on board with guidelines threw their hands up tonight and gave up.

As someone said to me, you can go to a beer garden with 14 others for pints but not for a cuppa tea with your Mam in your own Garden.

Schools still open. Did you every try to give guidelines to smallies?

Loads of parents go to the park together etc, now it will just be in benches of two houses.

I understand the pros and cons to all of these but there is no consistency and it is absolutely no circuit breaker.

If this doesn't work then curfews will be on the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

inisboffin wrote: »

The difference being that in the beer garden, there's a staff member whose job it is to assign you a seat and make sure you remember your manners. And right now the fear of being put out is so high that people are very well behaved.

In the garden with your mam, the kids are likely running around and slobbering over her and it's no one's job to enforce distancing.

Most transmission is happening is happening in household visits, not in structured environments.

Though I agree: if we want a circuit-breaker, it needs to involve schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

The difference being that in the beer garden, there's a staff member whose job it is to assign you a seat and make sure you remember your manners. And right now the fear of being put out is so high that people are very well behaved.

In the garden with your mam, the kids are likely running around and slobbering over her and it's no one's job to enforce distancing.

Most transmission is happening is happening in household visits, not in structured environments.

Though I agree: if we want a circuit-breaker, it needs to involve schools.

Point taken and we all know it's likely a scale. We have also probably all see the 1m/2M thing go out the window, particularly when 6 people from different households sit a a table. 2 tables = 12 households plus staff. I think the two tables will be separated grand, it's inter table I worry about. Or 3 x 4, you get it.

I hear you about kids running round, but maybe that needs a sliding scale, visits of only an hour and outdoors or something. It will still limit, but make the world of difference to lonely people who are too afraid to go out.

I simply don't get it with the thinking behind schools.

Afraid to even mention the studies coming out today from the US about how much more airborne it is. In which case all that matters is building immunity and hygiene, unless you live up Carrauntoohil :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Agree with others. Don't understand why they don't just close the schools for 3 weeks at mid-term.

I'll abide by the guidelines. I have mostly been avoiding going to other's homes anyway throughout the whole thing. The virus never went away. Risk of getting it was lower but not eliminated entirely. I feel bad for the healthcare workers, retail workers, tradesmen, bus drivers and older people or just anyone who has no choice but to be around the public.

Advertisement