Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

I went babysitting for a family many years ago. I remember a night where one of the teenagers at the time was sick in bed with flu. I didn't have much contact with him. Just the others. But I came down with the same dose.

This is what the government is trying to control now with the new guidelines. Transmissions between households in home/private settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

owlbethere wrote: »
    I went babysitting for a family many years ago. I remember a night where one of the teenagers at the time was sick in bed with flu. I didn't have much contact with him. Just the others. But I came down with the same dose.

This is what the government is trying to control now with the new guidelines. Transmissions between households in home/private settings.

It's understandable but when you have 30 kids in a classroom and one of them is sick and passes it to half the class and the teacher, then those kids bring it home and they give it to their family members who in turn might give it to their co-workers or siblings might give it to the kids in their class and so on...it seems like an inconsistency in the guidelines.

Dr Ronan Glynn tweeted yesterday and included stopping play dates but if your kids only play with the same kids they go to school with every day, what is the big risk there? They need to close the schools and at least be consistent.

It’s madness the schools are being left open given their virus numbers and the other restrictions. I think they probably will keep them closed for longer at midterm than normal but really they need to act now and close them from Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

It’s madness the schools are being left open given their virus numbers and the other restrictions. I think they probably will keep them closed for longer at midterm than normal but really they need to act now and close them from Monday.

I disagree, but that'll come as no shock to you, as, like many on these forums, I've become conditioned to disagree with just about everything you say.

Keeping the schools open is one of the few things I'm happy about.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,482 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Closing the schools/creches means a huge amount of people can't go to work.

If the country was paved in gold, maybe this could be an option.

• Advertisement

Wompa1 wrote: »
    It's understandable but when you have 30 kids in a classroom and one of them is sick and passes it to half the class and the teacher, then those kids bring it home and they give it to their family members who in turn might give it to their co-workers or siblings might give it to the kids in their class and so on...it seems like an inconsistency in the guidelines.

Dr Ronan Glynn tweeted yesterday and included stopping play dates but if your kids only play with the same kids they go to school with every day, what is the big risk there? They need to close the schools and at least be consistent.

The school situation is not great or ideal but schools are essential somewhat. Closing them would defeat the purpose of suppressing the virus with many pupils going on playdates and teenagers meeting up and loitering around villages and towns. The less virus in households and families the less of a chance of the virus travelling into school settings.

Tony said what needs to happen is a reduction in recreational meet ups and gatherings.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

6 wrote: »
    Closing the schools/creches means a huge amount of people can't go to work.

If the country was paved in gold, maybe this could be an option.

Essential workers have been working throughout.

The ECB was paying countries to take loans. We should have been in a better place than most to absorb paying non-essential workers who can't work remote to stay at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭cuculainn

The school situation is not great or ideal but schools are essential somewhat. Closing them would defeat the purpose of suppressing the virus with many pupils going on playdates and teenagers meeting up and loitering around villages and towns. The less virus in households and families the less of a chance of the virus travelling into school settings.

Tony said what needs to happen is a reduction in recreational meet ups and gatherings.

This is the key point. Philip Nolan put out a great tweet a few months back showing how by the "adults" minimizing social contacts the R value would decline even with the schools open.
    The only problem with what he said was that it assumed the "adults" would behave like responsible adults and actually reduce their contacts and adhere to the guidelines

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

The school situation is not great or ideal but schools are essential somewhat.
    Whatever about schools, re-opening third-level colleges was a disaster.

Unless, of course, you could have penned all the students in somewhere like Corrib Village and let them have at it until the virus had burned itself out!

And in hindsight, re-starting the county championships was perhaps not the best move - as the shenanigans and subsequent outbreak in Moycullen have demonstrated. In fairness, the GAA could not have foreseen what happened and I don't blame them - it's the idiotic behaviour of the players and supporters afterwards that was the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Colleges were definitely a bit mistake for Galway. Hopefully they'll leave them closed for the rest of the year and work from home thing and that the students renting here will actually go home.

Judging by the number of outbreaks in private homes it looks like it was a good place to aim some restrictions on visiting. The "open" number is for the number of homes where at least one person has tested positive in the last 28 days. Total week 41 is this weeks outbreaks.

?width=630&version=5234068

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

serfboard wrote: »
    And in hindsight, re-starting the county championships was perhaps not the best move - as the shenanigans and subsequent outbreak in Moycullen have demonstrated. In fairness, the GAA could not have foreseen what happened ....

Whar happened was tottally predictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Colleges were definitely a bit mistake for Galway. Hopefully they'll leave them closed for the rest of the year and work from home thing and that the students renting here will actually go home.

Judging by the number of outbreaks in private homes it looks like it was a good place to aim some restrictions on visiting. The "open" number is for the number of homes where at least one person has tested positive in the last 28 days. Total week 41 is this weeks outbreaks.

?width=630&version=5234068

I would propose that the default 'unknown' falls with 'residential homes'. Any false data, unreported data etc, that would be the default. SO many people are lying about 'a sneaky visit' to a partner/relative, a playdate with kids where now ah sure the parents can make a day of it, bad behaviour at a restaurant.

I get Mrs O' B's point about being behaved, but if any of you have been out at a restaurant or pub, and watch the members of any table interact, if one person has something, they all have it, leaning in to each other etc, and don't tell me every table of 6 is from the same household. They are NOT.

So I question the figures and how they got them. I question how schools are not a primary transfer, if the other factors are not put in play. My friends who teach agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

The local Centra in Moycullen have posted on Facebook asking people who have been tested and are waiting on results not to come into the shop. It must have happened already if they feel the need to say it.

https://www.facebook.com/mccannscentra.moycullen/

529406.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

People that are waiting for results are supposed to quarantine themselves = not go into shops.
    Maybe not everyone understands how important that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

biko wrote: »
    People that are waiting for results are supposed to quarantine themselves = not go into shops.

Unfortunately this is the problem. I've heard people say they won't be answering the phone from contact tracers "because they don't want to be inside for two weeks".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

You'd have to be as thick as a plank not to know at this stage.

They are going into the shop because they don't give a flying fcuk

cuculainn wrote: »
    This is the key point. Philip Nolan put out a great tweet a few months back showing how by the "adults" minimizing social contacts the R value would decline even with the schools open.
    The only problem with what he said was that it assumed the "adults" would behave like responsible adults and actually reduce their contacts and adhere to the guidelines

That's it. Closing the schools will be a pointless exercise because many students and families will continue to meet up for play dates and hanging around etc.

There's a Facebook group for alerting parents to outbreaks in schools. There a comment there from a teacher and manu of her primary school students tell of the or weekend plans and many are meeting up with friends and cousins and travelling around the country and attending family parties and gatherings and really going against the keeping your contacts low guidelines.

Agreed. I was in isolation last weekend waiting for test results and I stayed at home. I enjoyed my time in isolation very much. I worked on hobbies in bed and it was like Christmas for me. Got the result back Tuesday of a covid not detected.

Heavy penalties are needed for people knowing and willinging spreading virus about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭ratracer

Anyone who goes for a test is given a leaflet with explicit instructions to self isolate. The GP who referred them would, or should, have hammered this point home. Anyone not self isolating whilst waiting for test result is a thick, selfish gobsh1te!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,178 ✭✭✭✭zell12

15/10
    uh oh
    1205 cases nationally
    288 cases in Dublin, 173 in Cork, 123 in Meath, 97 in Galway, 63 in Cavan, 461 cases in remaining counties.

The conference is very scary tonight.

They say everything has gotten much worse.
    Hospitalizations increasing exponentially.

The virus is now well ahead of all projections. New projections suggest 1800 - 2500 cases per day by Oct 31st now.

Measures of behaviour are not changing, they are tracking traffic, shopping habits, card transactions to determine if people are limiting non essential behaviours. Google providing data.

They also mentioned that if we had all stuck to level 1.and 2 guidelines there would be no way we would have been in this situation now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,661 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

The local Centra in Moycullen have posted on Facebook asking people who have been tested and are waiting on results not to come into the shop. It must have happened already if they feel the need to say it.

https://www.facebook.com/mccannscentra.moycullen/

529406.JPG

How idiotic are people. That's is so stupid.

The post-GAA actions of many has a lot to answer for. There was speculation that Galway would rise dramatically in the aftermath and it looks like it is happening now.

Heavy penalties are needed for people knowing and willinging spreading virus about.

It needs to be a criminal offence, long term record career destroying level. That might make people think twice about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You'd have to be think as a plank to have gone to the post match party.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Whatever happened to 'shame' and 'guilt'. Very important social tools that seem to have fallen out of favour hence the rise of the shameless and the remorseless.

80 - 110 in icu by Oct 31st if this continues according to modelling.

We have around 270 icu beds currently in Ireland.

Last week in Galway when we had no one in hospital with covid we had only 1 free icu bed between UCHG and Portiuncla.

80 - 110 in icu by Oct 31st if this continues according to modelling.

We have around 270 icu beds currently in Ireland.

Last week in Galway when we had no one in hospital with covid we had only 1 free icu bed between UCHG and Portiuncla.

And some people still don't care. We have cases rising every day and people dying too. Yet we will be guaranteed to see people ignoring the guidelines to suit themselves and parting this weekend. Some people just don't care. At this rate there won't be any need for vaccines because there's plenty of wallies willing to pick up this virus and spread it about and infect others and make others sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,482 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Leo Vrad was on the radio earlier. Lots of contigency for beds. We are quite a way of the hospital peak in April, and even then there's lots to spare.

• Advertisement

It needs to be a criminal offence, long term record career destroying level. That might make people think twice about it.

For sure. This covid isn't new. We've been dealing with this pandemic since March. Our government had plenty of time to implement some policies that would help us but they never did that or anything meaningful. We are told to wash our hands, keep apart, etc but there's nothing meaningful implemented and no enforcement.

Advertisement