Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Anyone know why Elverys by the omniplex was closed today? Went in to pick up an order and they had an a4 sheet at the door.. couldn't see anything online for jt

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

cefh17 wrote: »
    Anyone know why Elverys by the omniplex was closed today? Went in to pick up an order and they had an a4 sheet at the door.. couldn't see anything online for jt

Was it a blank A4 sheet?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭BlueEars

I had a test booked for Tuesday in the Airport but called the HSE line on Monday to see if I could change it to NUIG as I'm on that side of the city. The very helpful guy on the phone told me that there were quite a few same day appointments so booked be in for later that day. Last night, my husband got his appointment for his retest today jn the airport, called to change if and was told that NUIG is fully booked for the next 3 days! Things are really ramping up now

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Zzippy wrote: »
    Was it a blank A4 sheet?

Most likely it said "Closed today, sorry".

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

cuculainn wrote: »
    This is the key point. Philip Nolan put out a great tweet a few months back showing how by the "adults" minimizing social contacts the R value would decline even with the schools open.
    The only problem with what he said was that it assumed the "adults" would behave like responsible adults and actually reduce their contacts and adhere to the guidelines

This is 100 percent the main thing. The assumption that adults would behave like adults and avoid situations with low/no social distancing with many different people.

There is so much community spread now it looks as if the schools may HAVE to close for a few weeks, not BECAUSE the schools are the main issue but because there is too much community spread and not enough people doing what they should be doing to this point.

• Advertisement

BlueEars wrote: »
    I had a test booked for Tuesday in the Airport but called the HSE line on Monday to see if I could change it to NUIG as I'm on that side of the city. The very helpful guy on the phone told me that there were quite a few same day appointments so booked be in for later that day. Last night, my husband got his appointment for his retest today jn the airport, called to change if and was told that NUIG is fully booked for the next 3 days! Things are really ramping up now

Of course they are - this is what we were told would happen.........no enough people have been following the existing regs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

serfboard wrote: »
    In fairness, the GAA could not have foreseen what happened and I don't blame them - it's the idiotic behaviour of the players and supporters afterwards that was the problem.
    Whar happened was tottally predictable.
    Really? You knew that was going to happen? Did you predict that for just the GAA or was that for all sports?

And if so, what's your solution now? Ban all sports fixtures until there is a vaccine?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,482 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Really? You knew that was going to happen? Did you predict that for just the GAA or was that for all sports?

And if so, what's your solution now? Ban all sports fixtures until there is a vaccine?

The fixtures itself are not the problem.

It's the sessions in pubs afterwards that do the damage. Moycullen, Meath, Cavan, Cork. The list goes on.

6 wrote: »

It's the sessions in pubs afterwards that do the damage. Moycullen, Meath, Cavan, Cork. The list goes on.

Yep, no more so than "the college themselves are not the problem" it's the social interactions that take place around them (ie not in controlled environments)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,661 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

6 wrote: »

Exactly. Largely, the games have not been the problem overall, bar some exceptions in the likes of Dungarvan who have knowingly chosen to play players who were either positive or awaiting the result of the test putting others at risk.

Outside of the game on the field, the GAA clubs and supporters have a lot to answer for.

Examples like this in the stands. The GAA were crying out for weeks to 'allow the auld man in to watch a match' but then the same clubs and people then failed to actually adhere to the rules and packed in supporters as much as they could with no care for social distancing.

MKDCYAq.png

Scenes like this in Moycullen after the match. That is down the people involved with the clubs, the players, the firneds & families etc.

https://twitter.com/barryvegas74/status/1316613860246265856

https://twitter.com/damienogfitz/status/1316697643033268226

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

scary driving past airport there... fk load of cars

If that's what it takes to stop the planks from have a reason to party, then yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭LowOdour

How busy have things been on shop street this week? Have a couple of bits to collect tomorrow and want to be in and out early doors. Dont fancy being in town tomorrow, say it could be mental with the threat of move to L5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Fitz* wrote: »
    Exactly. Largely, the games have not been the problem overall, bar some exceptions in the likes of Dungarvan who have knowingly chosen to play players who were either positive or awaiting the result of the test putting others at risk.

Outside of the game on the field, the GAA clubs and supporters have a lot to answer for.

Examples like this in the stands. The GAA were crying out for weeks to 'allow the auld man in to watch a match' but then the same clubs and people then failed to actually adhere to the rules and packed in supporters as much as they could with no care for social distancing.

MKDCYAq.png

Scenes like this in Moycullen after the match. That is down the people involved with the clubs, the players, the firneds & families etc.

https://twitter.com/barryvegas74/status/1316613860246265856

https://twitter.com/damienogfitz/status/1316697643033268226

That video is disgraceful. If all them people lived together or alone fair enough but many would be living with their families and they have risked their families lives now and the lives of many in the local communities and surrounding areas. The football match was an under 20s, I think. That's what I read not so long ago. Some of them would have younger siblings and then their is potential for them to carry virus into schools. Then there would be the parents who would be older. Perhaps in their 40s or 50s. They are also at risk, not to mention if any of them work in jobs.

Can people not see why we are asked not to form in large crowds like this and keep our contacts low? All it would have taken was one person to be infected that night, to infect 100s there.

The sad thing is many people who weren't there that night will now be at risk. Like people working in the local area of Moycullen. This will also no doubt leak into the surrounding villages of boleybeg, barna, furbo, spiddal, ougherard.

God, I followed the guidelines to a T since all of this began to keep everybody is my small circle of close contacts as safe as possible. I can't understand that selfish and greedy carry on shown here.

LowOdour wrote: »
    How busy have things been on shop street this week? Have a couple of bits to collect tomorrow and want to be in and out early doors. Dont fancy being in town tomorrow, say it could be mental with the threat of move to L5

The irony of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Towns been quiet all week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭LowOdour

kippy wrote: »
    The irony of it all.
    Oh give over.

I have been in Galway city once in 7 months, and would avoid if at all possible. Its unfortunate the one weekend i have no choice but to go in coincides with all thats going on

Oh give over.

I have been in Galway city once in 7 months, and would avoid if at all possible. Its unfortunate the one weekend i have no choice but to go in coincides with all thats going on

Wasnt trying to be pointed at yourself to be honest ( I obviously dont know your circumstances) - just the general thinking almost every weekend for the past 4 weeks where mass amounts of people decide to converage on various places in the city over the weekend to "get those last few bits", or get something done "before" the next lockdown - very little of it of any necessity.

Town noticeably busier today, but I still got hairdresser appointment with 1/2 hours notice. Still pretty safe if you keep your wuts about you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Up for a test tomorrow. Will feedback on process if anyone interested. Called GP at 2pm and appt booked for tomorrow afternoon.

• Advertisement

Up for a test tomorrow. Will feedback on process if anyone interested. Called GP at 2pm and appt booked for tomorrow afternoon.

I would love to know how it goes for you. I got a call out from the national ambulance service last weekend and it went very well. I was very happy with the process and with the results - negative. I hope all goes well for you.

The test looks awful when you watch them online but it's not too bad. A long cotton bud is used and that goes to the back of the throat. I don't know of the same one is used up the nose but it's not too bad. It's a little tickle-y twist up the nose. It's quick and better than the dentist.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

owlbethere wrote: »
    The test looks awful when you watch them online but it's not too bad. A long cotton bud is used and that goes to the back of the throat. I don't know of the same one is used up the nose but it's not too bad. It's a little tickle-y twist up the nose. It's quick and better than the dentist.

That's helpful. I'm absolutely terrified of the dentist and need a strong drink after I even have a check up so looking good for tomorrow. Will be shocked if positive, have adhered so strictly, maintaining distancing and been at home since March. Fingers crossed. Glad you got a negative! How long had you to wait actually?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

That's helpful. I'm absolutely terrified of the dentist and need a strong drink after I even have a check up so looking good for tomorrow. Will be shocked if positive, have adhered so strictly, maintaining distancing and been at home since March. Fingers crossed. Glad you got a negative! How long had you to wait actually?

Good luck, I hope it's clear and that the test goes easy on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭BlueEars

I had two tests this week. Was so nervous before the first one but it really was fine, 5 seconds in the back of my nose which made my eyes water but nowhere near as bad as I had anticipated!
    Had my results the next day. Went into my second one on Wednesday totally calm, got my results at 9.30 today, both negative thankfully. Good luck your test, fingers crossed for a negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Galway city central 4th highest rate in the country now.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

owlbethere wrote: »
    That video is disgraceful. If all them people lived together or alone fair enough but many would be living with their families and they have risked their families lives now and the lives of many in the local communities and surrounding areas. The football match was an under 20s, I think. That's what I read not so long ago. Some of them would have younger siblings and then their is potential for them to carry virus into schools. Then there would be the parents who would be older. Perhaps in their 40s or 50s. They are also at risk, not to mention if any of them work in jobs.

Can people not see why we are asked not to form in large crowds like this and keep our contacts low? All it would have taken was one person to be infected that night, to infect 100s there.

The sad thing is many people who weren't there that night will now be at risk. Like people working in the local area of Moycullen. This will also no doubt leak into the surrounding villages of boleybeg, barna, furbo, spiddal, ougherard.

God, I followed the guidelines to a T since all of this began to keep everybody is my small circle of close contacts as safe as possible. I can't understand that selfish and greedy carry on shown here.
    Yes its very annoying, and the gaa is powering on regardless

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

1276 new cases. 107 of these in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,178 ✭✭✭✭zell12

eeeek :(
    Eki8kyJWMAAmAQQ?format=jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

frank8211 wrote: »
    Yes its very annoying, and the gaa is powering on regardless

Hard to blame GAA really. The gobshítes weren't drinking on the pitch. It just turns out all the parish alco's and dunces used the result as an excuse to fùck the county to hell.

Advertisement