Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

pjohnson wrote: »
    Hard to blame GAA really. The gobshítes weren't drinking on the pitch. It just turns out all the parish alco's and dunces used the result as an excuse to fùck the county to hell.

Not like we're seeing massive simultaneous explosions of covid across the country two weeks after county finals weekend, eh?

Pure coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,643 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Red_Wake wrote: »
    Not like we're seeing massive simultaneous explosions of covid across the country two weeks after county finals weekend, eh?

Pure coincidence.

No just shows how dumb some people are and desperate for a "sesh".

The Moycullen rubbish was worse than other places it seems given the explosion in rate and cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

pjohnson wrote: »
    No just shows how dumb some people are and desperate for a "sesh".

The Moycullen rubbish was worse than other places it seems given the explosion in rate and cases.

No.... see what happened in Meath, Cavan, Wexford. Wall to wall sport on the radio today. Loadsa counties. Can you imagine the seshs the length and breadth of the country tonght (outdoors of course) and the resultant "cases" for Holohan in a week /ten days time

• Registered Users Posts: 23,643 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

frank8211 wrote: »
    No.... see what happened in Meath, Cavan, Wexford. Wall to wall sport on the radio today. Loadsa counties. Can you imagine the seshs the length and breadth of the country tonght (outdoors of course) and the resultant "cases" for Holohan in a week /ten days time

Well Galway United/Connacht Rugby et al all managed not to riddle the county. Its the gobshítes partying after the GAA that fùcked it.

And Galway had been doing pretty well until the drunks stepped up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Had the test that afternoon...arrived on time at 15:25, waited about 30mins in the car queue, windows up at all times except when a person from the army hands you a ziplock bag with two masks, a leaflet on self isolation and two bin bags (presumably for rubbish when you get home). They let 5 cars at a time into a small hangar where there's 5 stations and you're tested thru the car window. Asked to blow your nose on a tissue, and to keep the tissue. Mouth swab is grand, nasal one sure gets right up there for the full 5 secs! Tis grand, I'm sure they've seen thousands of scrunched up faces and watery eyes by now. Swift and well organized. Hope to get results tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

frank8211 wrote: »

Wall to wall inter-county league games with no spectators, no trophies and sweet FA to celebrate. GAA suspended club games the day after the Moycullen game. There will be no "seshs" tonight related to a GAA match. Sorry to burst your bubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,482 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Zzippy wrote: »
    Wall to wall inter-county league games with no spectators, no trophies and sweet FA to celebrate. GAA suspended club games the day after the Moycullen game. There will be no "seshs" tonight related to a GAA match. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Yep, I doubt inter county league games will generate much celebrations tbf! They are low risk in that regard. Pubs are closed anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Had the test that afternoon...arrived on time at 15:25, waited about 30mins in the car queue, windows up at all times except when a person from the army hands you a ziplock bag with two masks, a leaflet on self isolation and two bin bags (presumably for rubbish when you get home). They let 5 cars at a time into a small hangar where there's 5 stations and you're tested thru the car window. Asked to blow your nose on a tissue, and to keep the tissue. Mouth swab is grand, nasal one sure gets right up there for the full 5 secs! Tis grand, I'm sure they've seen thousands of scrunched up faces and watery eyes by now. Swift and well organized. Hope to get results tomorrow.

Thanks for sharing!
    Good that they're seeing a good volume of people going for testing too. Could you estimate how many cars were there in the 30 mins or so you were waiting?
    Fingers crossed for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Thanks for sharing!
    Good that they're seeing a good volume of people going for testing too. Could you estimate how many cars were there in the 30 mins or so you were waiting?
    Fingers crossed for you!

Over 105K tests done in the past 7 days nationally.

Thanks for sharing!
    Fingers crossed for you!

From where I took an estimate..there were five cars in the hangar, 14 ahead of me and I'm guessing approx that behind me...

• Advertisement

kippy wrote: »
    Over 105K tests done in the past 7 days nationally.

Would still love to know how many tests are carried out in Galway on a daily basis!

Would still love to know how many tests are carried out in Galway on a daily basis!

I'd say between 1000 and 2000 currently.
    That would be county wide.

To be honest I don't know why knowing this information would be of much benefit.

kippy wrote: »
    I'd say between 1000 and 2000 currently.
    That would be county wide.

To be honest I don't know why knowing this information would be of much benefit.

No? Like in terms of what percent of those turning up are positive..more a curiousity.. are there other test centres in Galway bar the hospital?

No? Like in terms of what percent of those turning up are positive..more a curiousity.. are there other test centres in Galway bar the hospital?

The airport, I believe, is the biggest capacity centre and the one that doctor referrals are going to. Testing going on in the hospital for specific purposes as there are in ballinasloe hospital. There was a test centre in Craughwell and the Docks but I think both closed during the summer.

I'd assume the percentages turning up that are positive within a few percent up or down or 7 percent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

From where I took an estimate..there were five cars in the hangar, 14 ahead of me and I'm guessing approx that behind me...

Was there. Not impressed with their attempt at Lean flow. Batch of cars will not be released until all tested. So, a car with a family for testing or distressed individual doing multiple tries, holds up complete batch of cars.
    Parallel lanes would have been more efficcent ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

3 deaths 1283 cases

51 cases in Galway

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

3 deaths 1283 cases

51 cases in Galway

Going down hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Andrea B. wrote: »
    Was there. Not impressed with their attempt at Lean flow. Batch of cars will not be released until all tested. So, a car with a family for testing or distressed individual doing multiple tries, holds up complete batch of cars.
    Parallel lanes would have been more efficcent ...

Yeah the current setup isn't the most efficient

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭BlueEars

There is a walk in centre(as in not a drive through) in NUIG near the Kingfisher too which isn't just for students. You can also request a home visit which can take up to 3 days. I phoned the HSE line to change my appointment from the airport, which involved a wait of 45 mins when I was there the previous week , to NUIG which took less than 10 mins. Things are much busier in the past few days though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,661 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

At least the option for NUIG is there for people that do not drive. Still, a bit daunting as you can't exactly hide in your car either!

• Advertisement

Still not heard results, a friend had hers Friday afternoon and heard Saturday Eve. I had mine at 4pm Saturday.. pretty sure it's a negative but all the same ..

Negative results via text at 08:42 today (Monday), having had the test at 4pm Saturday.

Negative results via text at 08:42 today (Monday), having had the test at 4pm Saturday.

Delighted for you :)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Well Done! What a relief. Don't go out tonight to celebrate :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭1641

sgthighway wrote: »
    Well Done! What a relief. Don't go out tonight to celebrate :P

I hope not - don't you have to continue to restrict movements until the presenting symptoms (if any) are gone? False negatives rates are quite high.

Galway’s 14 day incidence rate per 100 thousand in population is climbing and now stands at 273.6

City Central is Approx 550 per 100,000

1641 wrote: »
    I hope not - don't you have to continue to restrict movements until the presenting symptoms (if any) are gone? False negatives rates are quite high.

Sure tis only a few pints...haha as if. It would have been extremely unlucky had I gotten positive given our lifestyle since March. I'll continue to stay put.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

1641 wrote: »

Yes, you continue to self isolate 48 hours after symptoms have gone.
    If you were tested because you were a close contact you should restrict your movements for 14 days after a negative result.

Yes, you continue to self isolate 48 hours after symptoms have gone.
    If you were tested because you were a close contact you should restrict your movements for 14 days after a negative result.

This is the message that needs to get out. That, and don't budge when you start to feel symptoms OR when you are told you need a test. The urge to nip out and get a few bits in the shop before isolating is strong in many, I fear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Advertisement