Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ok, folks.
    We know now what place in Salthill hasn't closed yet.
    Easy on the whole revenge scenarios please.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

12 confirmed cases in Co Galway to date according to this evening's Department of Health briefing. https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1240386954107240454

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

etxp wrote: »
    [HTML][/HTML]

This line really annoyed me with the pubs. We have decided to close tonight at 11:30 or whatever for the safety of our customers and staff. If they really cared that much they would have closed instantly not trying to get one last big night out of it.

I don't mind it so much from the pubs: there was a risk of major public disorder if the message of closing them was handled incorrectly. And as far as I know, it was totally avoided.

From what I've heard, all the publicans knew by Friday that they would need to be closed by Monday. Hints were dropped to staff etc on Friday morning, carefully worded public announcements started on late Saturday afternoon and continued through the night, and the off-licenses had plenty of stock so that people could get supplies in. It really was masterfully done.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

dockysher wrote: »
    Just had walk in salthill in galway and de reborttas restaurant is packd. One of the only few restaurants in city stil open for sit ins. No social distancing in sight either

If that establishment was packed, you have to look at all those individuals who packed it too. They are all morons, so it's not just the establishment owner at fault here.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

12 confirmed cases in Co Galway to date according to this evening's Department of Health briefing. https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1240386954107240454

Somewhat surprising.
    I wonder if that's a true representation of cases here and around the countr or does it reflect numbers of sick people being being offered testing in Galway as opposed to Dublin.

In Dublin they've the Croke Park drivein seeing 8 people an hour. Anyone know what testing levels are like here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ted2767

I’d disagree
    Irresponsible persons if given an opportunity will take it
    If I’ve learned one thing it’s that you have to show leadership
    The management of that place should show leadership and do the socially responsible thing and close down

• Registered Users Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Somewhat surprising.
    I wonder if that's a true representation of cases here and around the countr or does it reflect numbers of sick people being being offered testing in Galway as opposed to Dublin.

In Dublin they've the Croke Park drivein seeing 8 people an hour. Anyone know what testing levels are like here?

I think they're doing something similar in the community centre in Renmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

If that establishment was packed, you have to look at all those individuals who packed it too. They are all morons, so it's not just the establishment owner at fault here.

I went for lunch yesterday to a cafe, it was quiet and they had every second table labelled "DO NOT SIT HERE, PLEASE RESPECT SOCIAL DISTANCING GUIDELINES".

There literally was any amount of tables, yet in 20 minutes I observed several people walk up, look at the sign, and then sit down at one of said tables....despite the abundance of tables not labelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭obi604

Homelander wrote: »
    I went for lunch yesterday to a cafe, it was quiet and they had every second table labelled "DO NOT SIT HERE, PLEASE RESPECT SOCIAL DISTANCING GUIDELINES".

There literally was any amount of tables, yet in 20 minutes I observed several people walk up, look at the sign, and then sit down at one of said tables....despite the abundance of tables not labelled.

absolute g0bsh1tes, you just cant fix stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

The prom has been very busy for the last few days as people keep cabin fever at bay, expect plenty out today and tomorrow with the good weather. Very interesting to see social distancing in action, people giving everyone a wide berth, still stopping for chats buts all standing apart. Plenty of Corona-banter, everyone in good form.

Exercise and safe social interaction is important, the prom is undoubtedly my favourite amenity in Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    The prom has been very busy for the last few days as people keep cabin fever at bay, expect plenty out today and tomorrow with the good weather. Very interesting to see social distancing in action, people giving everyone a wide berth, still stopping for chats buts all standing apart. Plenty of Corona-banter, everyone in good form.

Exercise and safe social interaction is important, the prom is undoubtedly my favourite amenity in Galway.

I passed Barna Woods yesterday twice and the small car park was full with cars parking outside on the road. It's a nice walk around there too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭obi604

Whats the general story with 'Galway2020'

Has it been officially cancelled etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

How is everyone getting on with their shopping? I freaked myself out a little watching the 6 o'clock news and seeing France on lockdown, stopping people to check why they're out, and long lines of trolleys waiting outside shops.

I nipped into Dunnes right as they opened because the senior hours are oddly at 11-1pm (I would have thought first thing so they could clean the store beforehand). There's a station with paper towel, santiser to wipe down the cart, and gloves. Signs say 100 people max allowed and tape on the floor to enforce social distancing for the check out lines. Several people wearing masks or scarves over their mouth. A good few taking it really seriously and avoiding getting near anyone.

I asked the girl at checkout if there are lines later in the afternoon and she said yeah but I'm curious what it's like. Has anyone had much of a wait to get in to the shop? Is everyone trying to get their shop down to once a week? Anyone thinking lines/waits will get longer if we go into lockdown?

On a fun note this video was entertaining and fun. Nice tool to show the kids without freaking them out:

Also this was quite effective with my two:

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

How is everyone getting on with their shopping? I freaked myself out a little watching the 6 o'clock news and seeing France on lockdown, stopping people to check why they're out, and long lines of trolleys waiting outside shops.

I nipped into Dunnes right as they opened because the senior hours are oddly at 11-1pm (I would have thought first thing so they could clean the store beforehand). There's a station with paper towel, santiser to wipe down the cart, and gloves. Signs say 100 people max allowed and tape on the floor to enforce social distancing for the check out lines. Several people wearing masks or scarves over their mouth. A good few taking it really seriously and avoiding getting near anyone.

I asked the girl at checkout if there are lines later in the afternoon and she said yeah but I'm curious what it's like. Has anyone had much of a wait to get in to the shop? Is everyone trying to get their shop down to once a week? Anyone thinking lines/waits will get longer if we go into lockdown?

I saw an ad for dunnes which said their elderly time has been switched to 11-1 because other people were queuing first thing in the morning. The selfishness of some people beggars belief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

How is everyone getting on with their shopping?

Just received a big box of fruit and veg from Green Earth Organics, will cover the bulk of our meals for the week, supplemented with some rice, pasta etc (which they also stock if needs be).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

I'm in Cong,3 bus loads of tourists arrived just now,full,all got off and started wandering around per norm. Nothing has changed bar the shops not all open, gloves in the main store alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Salthill mobbed today, playground included. I thought the council would have closed them by now??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

The Galway Bay is closing until May.

https://www.galwaybayhotel.net/

^^^ as the notice won't be there forever, this is for posterity
    Following the direction and advice from Government and the HSE in regard to movement and social engagements, the Management of Hodson Bay Group have decided to not accept any bookings for dates between now and April 30th 2020 inclusive. Our primary responsibility is to protect our own staff, and to avoid causing unnecessary travel or movement which increases the threat to the most vulnerable. We sincerely apologise for this inconvenience but we believe that this action is in the national interest.

Please be assured, however, that our online systems continue to operate as normal, we are already responding to all emails, and systems are in place to allow remote working. We are also in a position to deal with all of your telephone enquiries.

We welcome all enquiries for availability and events from May 1st and beyond.
    In the meantime, the hotel is closed to the public and only Security Staff are currently on the premises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Salthill mobbed today, playground included. I thought the council would have closed them by now??
    Govt will need to declare a lockdown/curfew the way things are going

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

I nipped into Dunnes right as they opened because the senior hours are oddly at 11-1pm (I would have thought first thing so they could clean the store beforehand).

Which Dunnes were you at? I was hoping to go to Briarhill tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

el_gaucho wrote: »
    Which Dunnes were you at? I was hoping to go to Briarhill tomorrow.

All Dunnes have these special shopping hours.

Just to confirm the hours for Dunnes

image.jpg
    twitter.com/dunnesstores/status/1240254909129383936

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

JCX BXC wrote: »
    All Dunnes have these special shopping hours.

I meant in terms of how busy they are though. Also, they may have the same rules but that doesn’t mean the staff are enforcing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

biko wrote: »
    ^^^ as the notice won't be there forever, this is for posterity

Thanks, was trying to paste in a photo at time of post.

Fiancee and I due to have reception there in Autumn. Had a call from hotel last night to advise us of the news in advance of it going public - nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Who are the elderly as per Dunne's poster?

It doesn't say, you'll have to figure that one out yourself ;)

I was at the the Dunnes in Knocknacarra. It was pretty quiet when I went but I usually go later in the day so that's why I was curious if people have had to queue to get in.

They must be thrilled Pennys being closed as they're the go to place for new socks and the like for the duration.

Just back from a walk to Cappagh park and the car park was quite busy. Playground open which is really daft as far as touching surfaces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I'm guessing it's ok to pop in (giving priority to elderly) if you are doing a shop for an elderly person?

Advertisement