Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

it seems what the population wants.
    Middle aged Person of eastern European origin decided to skip the queue at the supermarket, at first i though they were staff but behold inside shopping with no mask. He had a hoodie on headphones, supermarket had noone on the door but everyone else was managing the queue as if there was one. So no one to question him but i did , he didn't like very much, expletives were exchanged rte is the virus etc etc made a bit of scene but people didn't care.

those that follow the rules need show this isn't the way to go and shame em.
    for those that say he could be exempt, read what i said. Those that say they are exempt are the very people that shouldn't be in places with high numbers of people. Order online or click and collect.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Laviski wrote: »
    Those that say they are exempt are the very people that shouldn't be in places with high numbers of people.

Why is that?

Why is that?
    cause they have an underlying health condition preventing from wearing one.
    if allergy related then wear a face shield, it may do feckall but its at least showing they are doing their part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Psychlops

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Honestly, what underlying health condition prevents someone wearing a face mask for a few minutes to go shopping? Ignorance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭snoopy84

Zzippy wrote:
    Honestly, what underlying health condition prevents someone wearing a face mask for a few minutes to go shopping? Ignorance?

•Anxiety/panic disorders
    •Unable to tolerate one against you
    •If unable to remove one without assistance

Honestly,what is causing so manys lack of compassion, empathy, understanding for so many in our society that for a number of many valid reasons cannot wear a mask?
    Ignorance?

Laviski wrote: »
    cause they have an underlying health condition preventing from wearing one.
    if allergy related then wear a face shield, it may do feckall but its at least showing they are doing their part.

There are a good few health conditions which prevent mask-wearing which do not come with any increased risk of Covid-related death.

Unless you are in a position of responsibility for a place, and have received training in how to approach the situation, then approaching people is unwise, and I would regard it as bullying.

Mask wearing, like vaccination or any other population based measure, does not need to be 100% to be effective. And there are some people it can be extremely detrimental to.

IMHO this is bringing out the same streak in people in this country which allowed industrial schools and Magdalene laundries to thrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,522 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

IMHO this is bringing out the same streak in people in this country which allowed industrial schools and Magdalene laundries to thrive.

Bit of a leap.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Arghus wrote: »
    Bit of a leap.

Look who posted it, it's not a leap.....for them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

You've come out with utter rubbish in the past but this is truly ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,482 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

If people can't wear a mask, they should get someone else to do the shopping for them.

I'd say the percentage of people who can't wear a mask for medical reasons is tiny.

Arghus wrote: »
    Bit of a leap.

Different scale, same personality streak. IMHO.

Not everyone's gonna agree. But that's what I think anyways.

snoopy84 wrote: »
    •Anxiety/panic disorders
    •Unable to tolerate one against you
    •If unable to remove one without assistance

Honestly,what is causing so manys lack of compassion, empathy, understanding for so many in our society that for a number of many valid reasons cannot wear a mask?
    Ignorance?

The empathy I have for others is outweighed by the desire to keep my family safe in a pandemic. I firmly believe that the vast majority of those who "can't" wear a mask are those who simply * won't* wear a mask.

"Unable to tolerate one against you". It's a small piece of cloth worn for just a few minutes FFS. How do they tolerate wearing clothes all day?

Zzippy wrote: »
    "Unable to tolerate one against you". It's a small piece of cloth worn for just a few minutes FFS. How do they tolerate wearing clothes all day?

You know there are some people who need a general anesthetic even for a regular dental examination, right?

Agree that some of the can't peeps are actually won'ts. But some are genuine, and it's very hard to tell who's who.

You know there are some people who need a general anesthetic even for a regular dental examination, right?

Agree that some of the can't peeps are actually won'ts. But some are genuine, and it's very hard to tell who's who.

What has a fear of dental surgery got to do with it?Pure whataboutery and false equivalence. No one is being asked to open wide and endure a painful/uncomfortable procedure. It's a painless piece of cloth to protect oneself and others. People need to cop on.

Zzippy wrote: »
    What has a fear of dental surgery got to do with it?Pure whataboutery and false equivalence. No one is being asked to open wide and endure a painful/uncomfortable procedure. It's a painless piece of cloth to protect oneself and others. People need to cop on.

It's nothing to do with fear. Some people just have issues with things touching their face. What's painless for you isn't for them.

Telling them to cop on is like telling someone with clinical depression to just snap out of it.

Then wear a face shield, again there are methods to get their shopping done being set up by nearly most business at this stage.

Order online for delivery, click and collect.

For the record I was polite at first as if I was working in shop, had customer service background. Luckily when the scumbag revealed true colour I was able to respond with what I exactly thought instead of some worker who is bound and in fear of their job to say anything.

People should be challenged, yes politely at first and encouraged to do their shopping online for delivery and click and collect when they insist on not wearing any protection for others people's safety. It's not bullying it's following the health from the government of how our society needs behave in order to live with covid and get back to lvl 2 lvl1 so all can enjoy the few things in life. Or more importantly so more can be there to do that.

It's nothing to do with fear. Some people just have issues with things touching their face. What's painless for you isn't for them.

Telling them to cop on is like telling someone with clinical depression to just snap out of it.

I'll give you one thing, you do love a bit of hyperbole. I'm not going to go any further down the rabbit hole though, I see a pigeon on my windowsill I have to debate with... that should be more productive.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Mrs OBumble, Kingp35, Zzippy, don't post until Saturday. Offtopic fighting is dragging thread down.

Everyone, feel free use Covid forum - this thread is for information about Galway only.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

74 today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Max 500 euro fine on the spot if you break restrictions.
    Includes:
    Not wearing a mask
    Travelling outside 5km without extenuating circumstances
    Having a party
    Being in a group of 12 refusing to wear a mask (confusing one).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Being in a group of 12 refusing to wear a mask (confusing one).

I presume this is specifally targetting at the anti-mask protester marches :)

I presume this is specifally targetting at the anti-mask protester marches :)

Will they be okay to protest in groups of eleven then?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

Now I wouldn't want to be seen to draw correlations, but I did just watch a video where Gemma O Doherty compared herself to a persecuted jew for being refused a coffee for not wearing a mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Keep it local folks, cards will be next.

As I've said before, there is a whole forum for other Covid discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Kind of Covid related....I tried out Tesco click-and-collect the other day, have to say I was really impressed. Tesco delivery is very busy, difficult to get a delivery time but the collection sevice had loads of open timeslots. I'd reccommend it if you have a car and are not comfortable going into the supermarket at the moment. The collection point is in the corner of the carpark opposite Currys.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Lots around in Galway City today. Seems queues outside some pubs?

saabsaab wrote: »
    Lots around in Galway City today. Seems queues outside some pubs?

Yep loads of people in town, queues in lots of shops, at cafes etc. Everyone getting things they don't really need before lockdown. Lots of people Xmas shopping too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Yep loads of people in town, queues in lots of shops, at cafes etc. Everyone getting things they don't really need before lockdown. Lots of people Xmas shopping too.

Hadn't been in a while, it almost had a Christmas Eve feel to it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Panda5000

Town is very very busy today. The lead time on these restrictions will surely cause a surge at the very time they'll expect to start seeing results.
    Will they be okay to protest in groups of eleven then?

Yeah because there is a constitutional right to gather to protest so they're somewhat limited in what they can do with protesters/covidiots.

Advertisement