Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Panda5000 wrote: »
    Town is very very busy today. The lead time on these restrictions will surely cause a surge at the very time they'll expect to start seeing results.

Yeah because there is a constitutional right to gather to protest so they're somewhat limited in what they can do with protesters/covidiots.

Retail has accounted for a minute amount of cases in recent times so can't see today causing any spikes really. Most retailers are operating very robust cleaning procedures and people aren't in close contact for long enough periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

1167 and 3 deaths

263 in Dublin, 142 in Meath, 137 in Cork, 86 in Cavan and the remaining 539 cases are spread across all remaining counties.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Galway 71 cases today Nationally 1,167

Ek3gtkVW0AITGmv?format=jpg&name=900x900

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

Retail has accounted for a minute amount of cases in recent times so can't see today causing any spikes really. Most retailers are operating very robust cleaning procedures and people aren't in close contact for long enough periods.

some retailers are very good (above and beyond in some cases) some barely give lip service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Laviski wrote: »
    some retailers are very good (above and beyond in some cases) some barely give lip service.

Gotta say Dunnes Stores are brilliant at this, fair play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Laviski wrote: »

The majority, locally, seem very good. Again, no outbreaks to speak of from retail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Went to Dunnes today and was able to get eggs, flour, and bread. Everything stocked as usual. Was unusually quiet actually. Maybe most did their errands the last few days while everything was open. Amount of cars on the road seems the same.

I don't know if this should be in the TA thread in Afterhours or Cries of Coronavirus in Ranting and Raving, but getting the Salthill bus into the city centre, on the journey there and back, two couples on the bus, one sitting in the crossed off seats. OK bus was fairly empty but at the same time it bloody irks me that the couples can't sit on window seats across from each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I don't know if this should be in the TA thread in Afterhours or Cries of Coronavirus in Ranting and Raving, but getting the Salthill bus into the city centre, on the journey there and back, two couples on the bus, one sitting in the crossed off seats. OK bus was fairly empty but at the same time it bloody irks me that the couples can't sit on window seats across from each other.

I wondered about this. If a bus is quiet I have no problem with a couple sitting beside each other. After all the crossed off seats are just to make extra space and not about them being 'germ free' or anything.

If the bus is busier and you are forced to sit closer to someone by virtue of the fact they are in the aisle (and only one seat and aisle between you), I see your point.

To me it's common sense. I think many people do and believe they are doing something good as they *can* sit together, thereby freeing up more space.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

I was in the Gourmet Tart last weekend and was surprised to see the barista was wearing a face shield but no mask...so his breath was directed downwards onto the drinks he was making...very basic mistake.

I also noticed their croissants etc weren't individually wrapped, they are simply piled on open basket (but surrounded by perspex at least)...so lots of dust and the baristas breath could land on the food....really bad practice in these times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

buzz11 wrote: »
    I was in the Gourmet Tart last weekend and was surprised to see the barista was wearing a face shield but no mask...so his breath was directed downwards onto the drinks he was making...very basic mistake.

I also noticed their croissants etc weren't individually wrapped, they are simply piled on open basket (but surrounded by perspex at least)...so lots of dust and the baristas breath could land on the food....really bad practice in these times

Did you say something? Did you contact Gourmet Tart to express your concerns?

1,066 cases Nationally 104 in Galway, is that a first for Galway hitting over 100 cases.

Screenshot-20201022-183840-2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 15,661 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

1,066 cases Nationally 104 in Galway, is that a first for Galway hitting over 100 cases.

The 3rd time being around the 100 mark.

October 14th & 16th were just above & below 100, going by the COVID tracker app.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Fitz* wrote: »
    The 3rd time being around the 100 mark.

October 14th & 16th were just above & below 100, going by the COVID tracker app.

Yep, that nursing home probably makes up 40 to 50 of the cases but still a lot outside of that. You'd have to guess that there's at least 3 or 4 times that number daily walking around spreading it without symptoms which is where the the issue it is when you want to keep it out of places like nursing homes and away from at risk groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

kippy wrote: »
    Yep, that nursing home probably makes up 40 to 50 of the cases but still a lot outside of that. You'd have to guess that there's at least 3 or 4 times that number daily walking around spreading it without symptoms which is where the the issue it is when you want to keep it out of places like nursing homes and away from at risk groups.

Does not mean they are in Galway could be anywhere in the county

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Does not mean they are in Galway could be anywhere in the county

I don't understand....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I don't understand....

All the ones you said are walking around spreading it

Storm 10 wrote: »
    All the ones you said are walking around spreading it

Why wouldn't there be another three or four times the daily tested positives walking around every county with no symptoms.

Not out of badness or lack of responsibility, just not knowing they have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Why wouldn't there be another three or four times the daily tested positives walking around every county with no symptoms.

Not out of badness or lack of responsibility, just not knowing they have it.

True enough that's how it is so hard to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

buzz11 wrote: »

I don't know where you normally go but that sounds like pretty much standard practice in cafes around the town

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

Offtopic post removed.

I don't know where you normally go but that sounds like pretty much standard practice in cafes around the town

The Chief Medical Officer stated several times, obviously backed by research, that visors are almost useless.

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    The Chief Medical Officer stated several times, obviously backed by research, that visors are almost useless.

Yep, and unfortunately they are still widely the only thing used in a lot of places/professions including schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

One in every 102 people in the Galway City Central LEA has tested positive for Covid-19 over the past two weeks, according to updated data released last night.

Galway City Central now has 981.2 cases per 100,000 people, the third highest rate in the Republic after Ballyjamesduff in Cavan and Ratoath in Meath.

Elsewhere in Co. Galway, Conamara South now has one of the highest rates the county with 538.9 cases per 100,000 people – 115 confirmed cases in 14 days.
    Galway City East now has a 14-day Covid rate of 383.5 and in Galway City West it is 291.7.

From https://www.galwaydaily.com/news/covid-19/two-galway-leas-see-large-increase-in-14-day-covid-rate/?fbclid=IwAR3ehXm9OsKz3WiXw361IHeio-tc-2BQNZgS0msdt4WVKdkMQVwjmY1VpCw

• Registered Users Posts: 25,181 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 45,482 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Anyone numbers on Galway ICU numbers?

It's 38 nationally.

IMO, as the weeks go it's becoming apparent this disease isn't as potent as was first thought.

6 wrote: »
    Anyone numbers on Galway ICU numbers?

It's 38 nationally.

IMO, as the weeks go it's becoming apparent this disease isn't as potent as was first thought.

The potency of the disease hasn't changed

It's the cohort of those infected which has changed, younger less risk factors for an adverse outcome

• Registered Users Posts: 45,482 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    The potency of the disease hasn't changed

It's the cohort of those infected which has changed, younger less risk factors for an adverse outcome

True.

• Advertisement

It's a complete fallacy to say retail amount for a minute number of cases because contact tracing can not ascertain where the virus was originally contracted in majority of cases known as community transmission.

Social distancing is key in association with proper face coverings ( not plastic visor alone) to prevent transmission and unfortunately social distancing it is lacking in many retail outlets I visited and on the streets. You need only be besides an infected person for a short period to contract the virus, you may also contract it via airbourne route indoors in poor ventilation.

Advertisement