Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Could someone who works in a hospital clarify these figures. On the main Covid thread, it seems suspected cases are people in for other medical procedures & put down as a suspected case until their test comes back. Also it has been suggested that somewhere between 30-45% of all cases listed as ‘hospitalised’ Covid cases, are actually people in with something else & who happen to test positive for Covid. I think the HSE should clarify this.

All patients attending for admission are tested for Covid19 in GUH. It's not the case everyone is positive until a negative result comes back. It is the case that unwell patients may develop symptoms while an inpatient who will then be tested again for covid19. It is the case that patients will present for a different issue and will test positive for covid19. A recent study has been undertaken in GUH to test all staff for Covid19 antibodies. Similar study in a hospital in Dublin (Tallaght) showed antibodies in around 18% of staff. Potentially shows a lot of people have had this virus unknown to them. Results of the GUH testing due middle of November.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Could someone who works in a hospital clarify these figures. On the main Covid thread, it seems suspected cases are people in for other medical procedures & put down as a suspected case until their test comes back.
    Also it has been suggested that somewhere between 30-45% of all cases listed as ‘hospitalised’ Covid cases, are actually people in with something else & who happen to test positive for Covid. I think the HSE should clarify this.

Work for a non-Irish hospital. We're not counting that way but also I believe they have clarified this before because some thought they were counting second tests on previous positive cases in the number of daily new cases.

They clarified that they are not. They assume positive in some deaths if symptoms match but correct if the person had a pending test that comes back negative. If the person was probable but not tested, they do get listed as a COVID death which was pointed out early. Leo the Leak said it's part of the reason why Ireland may look to have a higher death rate than others but the full story for other countries will likely come out years after it clears off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I am also hearing about a surge in cases around Galway.
    We are already 5th in the 14 day rate.

Source please too many rumours on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Thanks, really appreciate the replies. The recent antibody study in GUH should prove interesting too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Source please too many rumours on the site.

Take a look at the country dashboard. Galway city LEA is at 981 cases per 100k. That clearly suggests a surge in Galway, makes the LEA one of the worst in country. I'm struggling to find a LEA worse than Galway city on that map.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Sconsey wrote: »
    Take a look at the country dashboard. Galway city LEA is at 981 cases per 100k. That clearly suggests a surge in Galway, makes the LEA one of the worst in country. I'm struggling to find a LEA worse than Galway city on that map.

FWIW, Ballyjamesduff (Cavan LEA) sits at 1488.3/100k. Cork South Central is closing in with 804.3/100k.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Anyone else noticing very intense negative pressure on the social media of Galway news outlets who post about the reality of Covid in Galway?
    Everything that gives a realistic overview is deluged with wildly negative comments about plandemics and scaremongering. It feels concerted, not coincidental, very often those commenting are not from Galway. The result seems to be articles are dwindling on topics like hospitalizations and I've seen some headlines use facts selectively to suggest a positive overview when the body of the article is anything but.
    It's a bit worrying that in an era when a lot of people look to social media for local updates that headlines might be skewed to suit a minority of vocal nutcases. I'd be worried it's going to lull the people who are too lazy to read the actual article into a false sense of security with consequences for us all.

An example of a time I've seen this in action was over the past week with one local paper which offered very good coverage but got almost exclusively very nasty comments. On one occasion they posted an article headlined that there were 15 hospitalised with covid here. The body of the article said while cases increased there was no one in ICU.
    There were loads of comments by angry people giving out that the headline should've read "No one in ICU in Galway", that this was scaremongering, plandemic etc.
    Two days later they posted a headline "No one in ICU in Galway" although the body of their article reported increased cases and only 1 icu bed bed free here. Seemed like the public interest warranted a headline noting increased cases and limited icu capacity.

I hate social media for this very reason but I think we need to support social media news about Galway that report facts in the interests of us all and that urges caution, if that is what alligns with your outlook.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Anyone else noticing very intense negative pressure on the social media of Galway news outlets who post about the reality of Covid in Galway?
    Everything that gives a realistic overview is deluged with wildly negative comments about plandemics and scaremongering.
    Can't say I have but then I stay away from facebook and such.

I doubt people do it to piss you off, more likely their view of reality differs from yours.
    Maybe they think your point of view isn't realistic?

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

I understand that people have differing views on how things should be handled but I'd have to agree with whimsicals assertion that comments on local stories are being poisoned by the plandemic shower, with plenty who couldn't find county Galway on a map of Connacht commenting on issues in the city/county. I haven't noticed people changing their reporting in order to appease this bunch of wasters though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Everything that gives a realistic overview is deluged with wildly negative comments about plandemics and scaremongering. It feels concerted, not coincidental, very often those commenting are not from Galway. The result seems to be articles are dwindling on topics like hospitalizations and I've seen some headlines use facts selectively to suggest a positive overview when the body of the article is anything but.
    It's a bit worrying that in an era when a lot of people look to social media for local updates that headlines might be skewed to suit a minority of vocal nutcases. I'd be worried it's going to lull the people who are too lazy to read the actual article into a false sense of security with consequences for us all.

An example of a time I've seen this in action was over the past week with one local paper which offered very good coverage but got almost exclusively very nasty comments. On one occasion they posted an article headlined that there were 15 hospitalised with covid here. The body of the article said while cases increased there was no one in ICU.
    There were loads of comments by angry people giving out that the headline should've read "No one in ICU in Galway", that this was scaremongering, plandemic etc.
    Two days later they posted a headline "No one in ICU in Galway" although the body of their article reported increased cases and only 1 icu bed bed free here. Seemed like the public interest warranted a headline noting increased cases and limited icu capacity.

I hate social media for this very reason but I think we need to support social media news about Galway that report facts in the interests of us all and that urges caution, if that is what alligns with your outlook.

You just ignore the rent a mobs and appreciate the facts.

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    Can't say I have but then I stay away from facebook and such.

I doubt people do it to piss you off, more likely their view of reality differs from yours.
    Maybe they think your point of view isn't realistic?

Yes I'd imagine you're right there Biko. It would be fair to say my "view of reality" certainly differs from those who think this is a "plandemic" and that Galway based newspapers are in cahoots with Bill Gates to sell vaccines. You really should see some of the comments. My views are more in accordance with public health guidelines,WHO and ECDC.

I'm saying I would rather see media report fact in order of importance, not selectively weave headline narratives or not report on it at all to appease it's facebook following.

Galway people will look to social media for bitesize info on the local situation. Unfortunately it's a medium that lives and dies through social interaction and all to often reflects the desires of the audience that interact than those who just glance and passby. It's to the benefit of the city that we reflect that we want our news to inform.
    pjohnson wrote: »

Yup. I don't join in and argue, I don't have that time on my hands. I think it can have consequences though beyond annoyance. Galway Advertiser and Connaught Tribune for eg. only report the daily figures - nothing re hospitalizations etc generally. I wonder if it's because they've learned the "public" don't want it. I gave an example of one outlet changing it's headline after complaints. Today it was announced that UCHG has secured facilities in Bons Secours to carry out care on "some patient populations" at the moment and saolta are in talks with Galway Clinic to do the same. No ones bothered to report that but it is worthy of coverage I'd have thought.

Just an observation though. I'd think good coverage should be supported in a climate where it's rubbished.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Yes I'd imagine you're right there Biko. It would be fair to say my "view of reality" certainly differs from those who think this is a "plandemic" and that Galway based newspapers are in cahoots with Bill Gates to sell vaccines. You really should see some of the comments. My views are more in accordance with public health guidelines,WHO and ECDC.

I'm saying I would rather see media report fact in order of importance, not selectively weave headline narratives or not report on it at all to appease it's facebook following.

Galway people will look to social media for bitesize info on the local situation. Unfortunately it's a medium that lives and dies through social interaction and all to often reflects the desires of the audience that interact than those who just glance and passby. It's to the benefit of the city that we reflect that we want our news to inform.

Yup. I don't join in and argue, I don't have that time on my hands. I think it can have consequences though beyond annoyance. Galway Advertiser and Connaught Tribune for eg. only report the daily figures - nothing re hospitalizations etc generally. I wonder if it's because they've learned the "public" don't want it. I gave an example of one outlet changing it's headline after complaints. Today it was announced that UCHG has secured facilities in Bons Secours to carry out care on "some patient populations" at the moment and saolta are in talks with Galway Clinic to do the same. No ones bothered to report that but it is worthy of coverage I'd have thought.

Just an observation though. I'd think good coverage should be supported in a climate where it's rubbished.

I agree with your observation re social media. It applies across the board. Divide and conquer. Extreme views on everything. However I disagree with your view that local media may somehow be ‘silenced’ by conspiracy theorist comments. I follow many local media sites and see a variety of comments, which there should be. Usually of one extreme view on the situation or the other. It’s important we all listen to a variety of opinions on the current situation in my view.
    I’m actually very disappointment in the local FG and FF politicians in the way they’ve used social media during this crisis to post up videos of young people at Spanish Arch to entice outrage. One FF senator even asking for the army to be called in. Shameful. The same trick back in April when someone posted a picture of Salthill from July 2018 & the local FG councillor proceeded to post & vilify those of us daring to go for a walk on the prom.
    When this is over, the role our media, and who pulls the strings needs to be reviewed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Panda5000

I have definitely noticed the strong social media backlash against factual Covid reporting.

It's normal to have the rent-a-mob comments but this seems to have seeped into a wider part of the population. I see some of my connections, who would never have been at protests or politically involved, now commenting on posts about "more fake numbers", "rte fake news", "when will the sheeple wake up". They've been armed with pseudo science from medical statements taken out of context and very early misconceptions about the virus now being taken as hard facts to "prove" the latest understandings as wrong.

It's scary stuff how the likes of Facebook's algorithms are leading people down one of two opposing paths. A slight leaning or suspicion and rather than seeing challenging content they're echoing and amplifying people's thoughts. I think we've years of mistrust, protest and violent clashes ahead because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Nasty crash today in the Carnmore test centre about 2pm.
    looks like a person going in went to the exit and hit a car full on.

13 cases, which is wonderful news and hopefully a turn in the road for Galway.
    People here did great last time so fingers crossed we will do the same again.

There are 18 people with the virus at UHG, with two of the confirmed cases in ICU.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

Nasty crash today in the Carnmore test centre about 2pm.
    looks like a person going in went to the exit and hit a car full on.

of all the places to have a crash though

hope everybody is ok after it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

pure.conya wrote: »
    of all the places to have a crash though

hope everybody is ok after it

one was being put in ambulance.
    I know stress of scale going for test then crashing..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,182 ✭✭✭✭zell12

13 cases, which is wonderful news and hopefully a turn in the road for Galway.
    People here did great last time so fingers crossed we will do the same again.
    There are 18 people with the virus at UHG, with two of the confirmed cases in ICU.
    Thou speaketh most soon

• Registered Users Posts: 25,182 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Galway City Central , would ye get a grip!
    Galway City Central’s 14-day Covid incidence rate was the third highest in the country last week, and data released this evening shows that the rate has risen there once again.

There were 272 cases in Galway City Central in the two weeks to 26 October, taking its 14-day incidence rate per 100,000 people to 1,018.7 – one of the highest in the Republic.

In Conamara South, the 14-day rate is now 726.3 and still the second highest in Co. Galway. The electoral area, with a population of just over 21,000, had 155 cases in 14 days.

In Galway City West, the rate is now 303.5 and in Galway City East there were 451.2 cases per 100,000 people over the past fortnight.

https://www.galwaydaily.com/news/covid-19/galway-area-with-one-of-irelands-highest-covid-rates-sees-further-increase-in-cases/?fbclid=IwAR1ESzlE36eeSUT1BeWKjJQNAYuYnJqNFBmWdyq2TDOpbEezU2CFizFyspg

• Advertisement

one was being put in ambulance.

If they test positive that'll be one of the "in hospital with Covid" numbers. The plandemic crew will be hopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Panda5000 wrote: »
    If they test positive that'll be one of the "in hospital with Covid" numbers. The plandemic crew will be hopping.

WTF are you talking about?
    'the plandemic crew will be hoping'
    Who are the plandemic crew and what will they be hoping?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

kippy wrote: »

I think "plandemic" is something to do with Soros and Bill Gates master plan to take over the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I think "plandemic" is something to do with Soros and Bill Gates master plan to take over the world.

Christ

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The person was well enough to be tested at the airport . Even if positive, they most likely did not need hospital treatment for Covid. Before the accident. After it, they will be (yet another) person in hospital who happens to have Covid but is reported in the statistics as a hospitalised case.

The word in the post you were referring to is "hopping" not "hoping".

Read up a few posts. The fake-news crowd. They'll hook onto any misrepresentation of data as a widespread government conspiracy to control the people.

That's WTF I'm talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

It's mad alright. What I can't understand is the lack of any reported clusters/outbreaks in Galway city while the rate per 100k is so high. I mean we know about Moycullen probably dragging up the South Connemara numbers, and we have heard about the outbreak in a nursing home in south county Glaway. But nothing about Galway city other than the third worst numbers in the country and over three times the national average. Surely someone has an idea what is driving the numbers so high here.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Sconsey wrote: »
    It's mad alright. What I can't understand is the lack of any reported clusters/outbreaks in Galway city while the rate per 100k is so high. I mean we know about Moycullen probably dragging up the South Connemara numbers, and we have heard about the outbreak in a nursing home in south county Glaway. But nothing about Galway city other than the third worst numbers in the country and over three times the national average. Surely someone has an idea what is driving the numbers so high here.

Just a guess, but students spring to mind.

• Advertisement

Just a guess, but students spring to mind.

Are students gone home for the most part?
    Have people got their deposits on accommodation back?

I heard of outbreaks in Corrib Village a few weeks ago, someone told me 25 in their building were affected. I assumed they'd all cleared out though for Level 5, hopefully for the year.

Advertisement