Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

....r in the last weeks alone around 50 health staff were getting infected and many were struggling to return to work due to long Covid.

Source?

What proportion of cases get long-Covid?

Source?

About 20% of our cases are healthcare workers, source HPSC

https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/surveillance/covid-19casesinhealthcareworkers/

About 1 in 20 suffer long covid

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-54622059

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Source?

Statement re struggling to return to work and taking prolonged absences due to long Covid was made last week by the HSE boss and the spokeswoman for the INO on the news.

Figures from a survey of Irish nurses during the summer from Irish Times.
    The Irish Nurses and Midwives Organisation (INMO), which conducted a study of thousands of nurses, said two-thirds of the 545 who have “recovered” continue to suffer fatigue.

Most staff – 91 per cent – experience ongoing problems post-recovery, with other issues including anxiety, “brain fog”, dizziness, recurring fever and palpitations, the surveyt found.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-19-vast-majority-of-nurses-who-contracted-virus-suffer-post-recovery-issues-1.4309649

14 today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

14 today.

A bit up but still low and only one day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Noticed on a chart with the new plan they include wearing masks while out on busy streets. Better late than never.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Noticed on a chart with the new plan they include wearing masks while out on busy streets. Better late than never.

I won't be wearing a mask on a street.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I see dead sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

What about on a BUSY street?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Panda5000

From the author of;
    I'm flying back home from abroad and because I think not opening pubs is a disgrace I'll be drinking in as many 'food' pubs as I can and I'll be trying every trick in the book to get around the rules.

I guess you'll not be bothering with the 14 days isolation when you fly in from England either?

• Advertisement

Panda5000 wrote: »
    From the author of;

I guess you'll not be bothering with the 14 days isolation when you fly in from England either?

Your guess is correct my stalker friend ;)

It'll be my 4th time back this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Your guess is correct my stalker friend ;)

It'll be my 4th time back this year.

Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Just as well a vaccine is on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

saabsaab wrote: »
    Just as well a vaccine is on the way.

No vaccine for idiocy

No vaccine for idiocy

You're in trouble then, hard luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

+22 in Galway, which remains in the lower part of the table in terms of incidence.

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1333470571724726277

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

116 of a back log in today's figures can never understand how they can't have up to date figures backlogs give a wrong outcome on the daily figure

Anyone know if it's a known cluster causing the recent uptick in Galway cases?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Storm 10 wrote: »
    116 of a back log in today's figures can never understand how they can't have up to date figures backlogs give a wrong outcome on the daily figure

IIRC the labs report positive swabs daily but they have to be validated, this requires more staff who don't all work weekends. This is accounted for by the data scientists who do the modelling, so while it's annoying it has no bearing on trendlines etc used to inform decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

Coronavirus Ireland: Multiple Covid-19 cases confirmed at Galway school as urgent letter sent
    Multiple Covid-19 cases have been confirmed at a school in Co Galway.
    An urgent letter was sent to parents and guardians at the school by the HSE last Friday.
    They were told that all close contacts of the cases had been contacted.

• Advertisement

The Mayor is calling people to do the 12 Shops of Christmas. Get out and buy your gifts in 12 local shops.

The sentiment is great but sounds like a lot of unnecessary added contacts. Best done online where possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I bought books from a local shop that also have an online shop.
    So the money goes local and I got home delivery.
    Win-win :)

I abhor the Christmas shopping in town anyway, and adding a virus to the mix makes me want to go into shops even less.

Oh yeah I meant buy local online! One great thing to come out of Covid is businesses have been using the grants available to get themselves online.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 greenerie

Does anyone know if The Crane is open at the moment? I know they opened in the last level 3 but not sure if they are eligible this time around with the kitchen rules etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

greenerie wrote: »
    Does anyone know if The Crane is open at the moment? I know they opened in the last level 3 but not sure if they are eligible this time around with the kitchen rules etc!

Haven't been down there to check, but am pretty confident it's a No, because there's no kitchen on-site.

Merged with the general "opening/closing during covid" thread

biko wrote: »
    Merged with the general "opening/closing during covid" thread

Seems like a bit of a pity, it means important Covid news from around the city will be diluted by other chats. It's less of an issue now but by January it'll be important people can glance in for a quick overview of what's happening in Galway.

*not intending to comment on moderation either, just an observation*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Seems like a bit of a pity, it means important Covid news from around the city will be diluted by other chats. It's less of an issue now but by January it'll be important people can glance in for a quick overview of what's happening in Galway.

Agreed. I rarely if ever comment on this thread but glance at it most days. Come January things will likely be very busy with the expected resurgence of Covid. Maybe it could be split out again then?

* Apologies if this is seen as commenting on moderating. That's not my intention.

We had a chat and a news thread. I merged the two threads as people had trouble choosing which to use.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114607207&postcount=2921
    Hence covid numbers for Galway, as well as openings and closings, all go into this one thread.

If you have a better system I am all ears :)

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    We had a chat and a news thread. I merged the two threads as people had trouble choosing which to use.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114607207&postcount=2921
    Hence covid numbers for Galway, as well as openings and closings, all go into this one thread.

If you have a better system I am all ears :)

I assume you mean here rather than in PM?

I think merging chat made full sense as it was the same issue, but the openings and closings are a separate issue.If someone posts numbers or city incidence rate and someone else immediately asks about why x cafe is closed attracting answers from they're moving/they're renovating/they're closing it means important info can get lost. I don't think many people want to scroll through pages of chat on two separate things everyday.

I find it a valuable resource as it is, means I can alter behaviour when I hear things are bad or good, and there's no where else really with this level of local info.

The forum overall is very quiet too, it's nearly nice to have two threads to look at that are active. The opening and closing one is the light relief thread to look at to me.

Advertisement