Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

inisboffin wrote: »
    I'm guessing it's ok to pop in (giving priority to elderly) if you are doing a shop for an elderly person?

It's the elderly or vulnerable: they cannot tell from looking who is and isn't.

So just don't take kids with ya, mind the oldies, and you'll be grand.

Salthill Hotel closing tomorrow. Have asked all staff to sign on and when it reopens they will have to take a 20% pay cut with no end date indicated for the pay cut. Needless to say, a few told them where to stick it

Source, a family member works there

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/le-william-butler-yeats-to-be-used-as-covid19-testing-centre-at-galway-docks/
    LE William Butler Yeats is due to be used as a COVID19 test centre for Galway operating from a berth in the docks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Salthill Hotel closing tomorrow. Have asked all staff to sign on and when it reopens they will have to take a 20% pay cut with no end date indicated for the pay cut. Needless to say, a few told them where to stick it

Source, a family member works there

I’d suspect a lot of businesses even the ones with a healthy cash reserve to be at this aswell. Expect a price hike aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭cal naughton

I’d suspect a lot of businesses even the ones with a healthy cash reserve to be at this aswell. Expect a price hike aswell

As the saying goes. Never waste a good crisis!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Psychlops

What Dunnes mean is its assisted shopping so staff will help you etc, in Westside I see they have a checkout dedicated to this from 11-1. Its a great thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

It's the elderly or vulnerable: they cannot tell from looking who is and isn't.

So just don't take kids with ya, mind the oldies, and you'll be grand.

Why not just stay away during the 2 hours they have set aside for the old and vulnerable. It is not that hard to do. Give people who need the space a bit of time to do some essential shopping. I have two type 1 diabetics in our house and we are scared to go to the shop. Can people just stay away during those times, so ****ing selfish!

No it is not ok to pop in even if you are being a good Samaritan and buying something for an elderly person. This time is for the elderly and the vulnerable. Is not just about old people not being able to get through the crowds, it is about vulnerable people, elderly and sick, being exposed to the virus from otherwise healthy people who may not be displaying symptoms yet.

I was at the the Dunnes in Knocknacarra. It was pretty quiet when I went but I usually go later in the day so that's why I was curious if people have had to queue to get in.

They must be thrilled Pennys being closed as they're the go to place for new socks and the like for the duration.

Just back from a walk to Cappagh park and the car park was quite busy. Playground open which is really daft as far as touching surfaces.

Some People out there still think that out in open air means no risk of infection- you may as well have a covid19 party at home if you’re going to go to a kids playground right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,475 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    The prom has been very busy for the last few days as people keep cabin fever at bay, expect plenty out today and tomorrow with the good weather. Very interesting to see social distancing in action, people giving everyone a wide berth, still stopping for chats buts all standing apart. Plenty of Corona-banter, everyone in good form.

Exercise and safe social interaction is important, the prom is undoubtedly my favourite amenity in Galway.

A lot of people not practicing it today on the prom :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Finally some good news. A small study shows a widely available drug in combination with an everyday antibiotic is showing potential as a very effective treatment. Below is an analysis by one the most respected virologists in the world Vincent Racaniello who believes this is significant.

This is reason to really try extra hard to socially isolate and "flatten the curve", if we can keep as many vulnerable people as possible from getting ill now in a few months we may have a treatment that will save lives, could keep them out of hospital, certainly ICU. That means a functional health service in place should young people get ill with any disease and a functioning economy. It's for everyone. We just need to buy some time.

The authors write that “For ethical reasons and because our first results are so significant and evident we decide to share our findings with the medical community, given the urgent need for an effective drug against SARS-CoV-2 in the current pandemic context.”

Given the efficacy of treatment even in this small clinical trial, it seems likely that hydroxychloroquine will be widely used in the treatment of COVID-19 caused by SARS-CoV-2. Whether azithromycin should be included remains to be determine. Either way the use of hydroxychloroquine, a widely available and inexpensive drug, is a welcome advance in the treatment of COVID-19.

http://www.virology.ws/2020/03/19/hydroxychloroquine-reduces-viral-load-and-symptoms-in-covid-19-patients/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Finally some good news. A small study shows a widely available drug in combination with an everyday antibiotic is showing potential as a very effective treatment. Below is an analysis by one the most respected virologists in the world Vincent Racaniello who believes this is significant.

This is reason to really try extra hard to socially isolate and "flatten the curve", if we can keep as many vulnerable people as possible from getting ill now in a few months we may have a treatment that will save lives, could keep them out of hospital, certainly ICU. That means a functional health service in place should young people get ill with any disease and a functioning economy. It's for everyone. We just need to buy some time.

http://www.virology.ws/2020/03/19/hydroxychloroquine-reduces-viral-load-and-symptoms-in-covid-19-patients/

Just reading it now on RTE it's the drug the the Chinese used in Woohan to stop the virus, the US and France are testing now on people who don't have the virus but have been exposed to it the results in France are reported to be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

Why not just stay away during the 2 hours they have set aside for the old and vulnerable. It is not that hard to do. Give people who need the space a bit of time to do some essential shopping. I have two type 1 diabetics in our house and we are scared to go to the shop. Can people just stay away during those times, so ****ing selfish!
    Czech Republic doing exactly this - elderly people's slot is 7 to 9am and generally well observed by the public so far I hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

Interesting, because this is an antimalarial drug. Also its pretty nasty on its own, even worse in a combo with an antibiotic, but guess better than to be dead.

This will lead to resistance eventually though, RNA viruses mutate rapidly and develop resistance quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

6 wrote: »
    A lot of people not practicing it today on the prom :(

Prom is busier now than it is at the height of Summer. Just about the last place I’d go for a stroll right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

No it is not ok to pop in even if you are being a good Samaritan and buying something for an elderly person. This time is for the elderly and the vulnerable. Is not just about old people not being able to get through the crowds, it is about vulnerable people, elderly and sick, being exposed to the virus from otherwise healthy people who may not be displaying symptoms yet.

If it’s a vulnerable younger person /compromised shopping for an elderly neighbour then it’s ok so?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Em just for the record, of all the people I’ve seen in the last week completely ignoring distancing, cough hygiene etc, many ARE the elderly!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

dockysher wrote: »
    Just had walk in salthill in galway and de reborttas restaurant is packd. One of the only few restaurants in city stil open for sit ins. No social distancing in sight either

DaRobertas still open for sit in last night, Mar 19.

Idiots. I wont be darkening their doors in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,475 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

JohnCleary wrote: »

Money >> best interest of customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

I'm in Cong,3 bus loads of tourists arrived just now,full,all got off and started wandering around per norm. Nothing has changed bar the shops not all open, gloves in the main store alright.

Heard someone text into a radio station yesterday that they had stayed in a Galway hotel on Wednesday and 3 buses of American tourists pulled up outside. Later that night there was a lot of noise as the americans were all packed into a function room together. Hotel wasn't named but I'm sure some people would know who it was. Pure negligence on their part

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

Now that the prom is getting uncomfortably busy :( - any recommendations for quiet walks around or near the city?

The Galway City Council put this warning up on FB yesterday...
    The advice on social distancing outdoors applies to places like The Promenade in Salthill, Barna Woods, Cappagh Park, Silver Strand, Millenium Children's Park & Ballyloughane.
    If it's busy with people when you arrive, don't join in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

I'm thinking maybe the Galway Wind Park, should be quiet and more spread out...

JohnCleary wrote: »

I walked past this morning and they have a sign outside. I thought it might have been a we are closed sign but it was asking customers to use the hand sanitizer provided. They are trying to maintain normal life for as long as possible.

What a joke, we were regular customers but we won't be back after this. Pure greed from them and sheer ignorance and selfishness from the idiots going in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I walked past this morning and they have a sign outside. I thought it might have been a we are closed sign but it was asking customers to use the hand sanitizer provided. They are trying to maintain normal life for as long as possible.

What a joke, we were regular customers but we won't be back after this. Pure greed from them and sheet ignorance from the idiots going in there.

And as said before you think an Italian would know how serious this is.

inisboffin wrote: »
    Em just for the record, of all the people I’ve seen in the last week completely ignoring distancing, cough hygiene etc, many ARE the elderly!

There is a good reason for you not to go into the shops during the restricted hours then. You wouldn't want to infect your elderly neighbor would you.

I am sure Ireland and the world will applaud you for your heroic efforts to care for your elderly neighbor, I believe Michael D has ordered a consignment of medals especially for heroes like you but please dont use your gesture as an excuse to get into the shops when they are a bit quieter.

Can I please ask you and other non elderly or vulnerable people to give us the 2 hours in the shop. It is not a guarantee that we will not contact the virus while out but it will lessen our risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Citylink are suspending services until further notice from midnight tonight/going into Sat morning.
    As of midnight Friday/Saturday morning March 21st, all Citylink and eireagle.com services will be suspended until further notice
    https://www.citylink.ie/useful-info/covid-19

This follows Gobus' decision earlier in the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭sasal

Now that the prom is getting uncomfortably busy :( - any recommendations for quiet walks around or near the city?

Merlin Woods. There's people about but not too busy. They've done some good work on the paths recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Why not just stay away during the 2 hours they have set aside for the old and vulnerable. It is not that hard to do. Give people who need the space a bit of time to do some essential shopping. I have two type 1 diabetics in our house and we are scared to go to the shop. .

On that case, you should NOT be going out to shop.

There are countless volunteer efforts springing up to do shopping etc for vulnerable people. Contact one and they will be delighted to help.

You need to Just Stay At Home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭obi604

obi604 wrote: »
    Whats the general story with 'Galway2020'

Has it been officially cancelled etc?

Any thoughts on this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

The Galway City Council put this warning up on FB yesterday...

yeah, your hallway, landing or back garden

Advertisement