Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Up to 40 junior doctors at University Hospital Galway are self-isolating amid a major Covid-19 outbreak at the hospital.

Multiple senior medical sources have confirmed that scores of staff have tested positive, while others who are close contacts have been ordered to self-isolate.

There is growing anger and concern among doctors over the current crisis, which will see many doctors spend Christmas alone in rented accommodation.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/forty-junior-doctors-self-isolate-after-hospital-outbreak-39897174.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Has anyone been called for a test today?
    My wife had a test 2 days ago and got a negative result yesterday.
    Surely she wouldn't have to have a second test so quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 25,209 ✭✭✭✭zell12

[URL="hhttps://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1225/1186382-coronavirus-ireland/l"]1025 cases today nationally[/URL]
    UK strain of Covid19 confirmed in Ireland

They mentioned on the radio that there had been a substantial jump in hospitalizations since Christmas and named UCHG as a hospital that had seen a big rise in cases. No numbers mentioned though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

App appears to be displaying the same number for people who checked in so far today for a number of days now.

Mine is stuck @ 153,085

Same for everyone? or does anybody even bother with it anymore?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

App appears to be displaying the same number for people who checked in so far today for a number of days now.

Mine is stuck @ 183,085

Same for everyone? or does anybody even bother with it anymore?

Dont really bother with it anymore but it's there on the phone. Says 153085, 24th December.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The stats on the app haven't been updated since Xmas Eve but I would expect those numbers to be updated Tuesday. Must be a key person or group off or assigned to contact tracing.
    Not too big a deal once the app continues to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Dont really bother with it anymore but it's there on the phone. Says 153085, 24th December.

Yep mine is @ 153,085 too. That was a typo in my OP

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Numbers in Galway were boosted by staff in the hospital and a football team having an unofficial Christmas Party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭mjp

sgthighway wrote: »
    Numbers in Galway were boosted by staff in the hospital and a football team having an unofficial Christmas Party.

What part of co galway was this football team party? Gaa or soccer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

mjp wrote: »
    What part of co galway was this football team party? Gaa or soccer ?

Soccer. Wont say where to avoid embarrassment.

21 today, 78 over Christmas Eve and Christmas Day but actual numbers expected to be higher.

County-by-county data was not published for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. However, based on the 14-day totals, there were a combined 74 new cases for those two days in Galway.
    Dr Tony Holohan, Chief Medical Officer, said: “Due to the lower volume of tests being carried out over Christmas Day and yesterday, we believe there are higher levels of disease circulating in the community than today’s reported case numbers reflect. We expect, therefore, to see a large increase in cases reported over the coming days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

There was also a death in Galway in today's count.

Group of 12-15 American tourists in Salthill today. Looked like an extended family. Out for a walk (safe enough) and some photos then back into 3 rental cars and onwards on their travels. Pretty miserable time to be touring around. With the ban on inter-county travel I assume they'll be flying back out from Carnmore International!

Feels very different to the first lockdown even though we've been hitting peak daily case numbers in the last week. Going to be tough getting parts of the population to stick to restrictions over the next 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

With the ban on inter-county travel I assume they'll be flying back out from Carnmore International!.

I, personally, am glad you are brave enough to have definitely asked them from a socially safe distance about their backstory and not just made your own lazy assumptions about them.

Thank you VanWildCard for your service.

You're very welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I, personally, am glad you are brave enough to have definitely asked them from a socially safe distance about their backstory and not just made your own lazy assumptions about them.

Easy enough to spot a rental car from it's stickers. Before the 18th, there were a lot more UK reg cars around the place too.

A GP in Cork yesterday stated there is a high volume of people who got tests that returned positive who gave a UK phone number for contact tracing but don't answer.

Other than the nursing homes not being adequately protected in the first wave, the biggest failing of our Government has been the lack of enforced quarantine for people visiting.

Between June and July, the number of cases related to travelers was on the rise and then suddenly slowed as more tourists were coming in. They just get lumped in with Community Transmission. It's sh1tty.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Easy enough to spot a rental car from it's stickers. Before the 18th, there were a lot more UK reg cars around the place too.

I was driving a rental car for the last couple of days. I've got a foreign accent, too.

Am not a tourist, though.

I was driving a rental car for the last couple of days. I've got a foreign accent, too.

Am not a tourist, though.

Were you in a convoy of 3 rental cars travelling together though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭1641

Bodyguards.

43 new cases in Galway today

• Registered Users Posts: 45,486 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Full level 5 incoming I'd imagine

19 in UCHG, though none in ICU.
    That seems like quite a spike considering numbers reported as positive aren't so high. I think we can assume official case numbers are higher than we see reflected in numbers.

First time I've know someone who has been hospitalised in my friend group. In her 30s, doesn't fit any of the criteria that might suggest she'd be vulnerable to complications.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Foreign, but not American :rolleyes:

You cannot assume anyone is breaking guidelines just cos they 're foreign and travelling in a group.

You cannot assume anyone is breaking guidelines just cos they 're foreign and travelling in a group.

Sure you can. But if you read my post you'll see I assumed they weren't going to be breaking any guidelines. I'm a glass half-full kinda guy.

Hope things take a turn and improve before the end of their holiday in County Galway.

19 in UCHG, though none in ICU.

Lot of doctors out in UHG between positive cases and close contacts. I know a junior doctor that says they're due to get the vaccine this week before they're critically low on staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,209 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭mjp

zell12 wrote: »

Serious jump in cases from 43 to 112 for Galway. Most dramatic increase for any county today. Wonder is there a particular cluster behind this jump in numbers

• Advertisement

mjp wrote: »
    Serious jump in cases from 43 to 112 for Galway. Most dramatic increase for any county today. Wonder is there a particular cluster behind this jump in numbers

It's quite shocking how fast this is now spreading. I know someone currently ill. In the run up to her being diagnosed on St Stephens day she had only briefly seen her and her partners siblings individually in the days before Christmas to drop off gifts, didn't stay for tea/drinks etc. From those quick visits all her siblings and their kids are now ill as well as their parents and inlaws parents. So far 20 are ill in the family. And they have no idea about contacts from work/the gym etc yet.

Advertisement