Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

"Fogra ó Comhairle Cathrach na Gaillimhe
    Notice from Galway City Council
    1ú Eanair 2021 - 1st January 2021

Following a request from the Gardai in line with the current restrictions, the following facilities have been closed or will be closed over the coming days:
    • Blackrock Diving Tower
    • All Parking along the Promenade in Salthill
    • Vehicular access to Silverstrand Beach

In addition, all Community Centres, Tennis Courts, All-Weather Pitches and the Boxing Club have also been closed.
    St Nicholas Market has been restricted to Food Only.
    All Parks, Woodlands and Beaches remain open.

#FanSlán #staysafe"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

6 wrote: »
    Had the flu twice.

First time in late teens, sick for two weeks, in bed for a week of that. Lost over a stone.

2nd time wasn't as bad. In bed for 4 days. Again lost a substantial amount of weight. This was 3 years ago.

It's nasty.

Has anyone ever been tested for flu in Ireland? Had been in the US when I lived there. Whatever about the tests for it, should be no excuse now going forward. There's a vaccine that's 40%-60% effective. There should be greater uptake of that in future and greater consideration of hand hygiene and personal space.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Wompa1 wrote: »
    lThere's a vaccine that's 40%-60% effective. There should be greater uptake of that in future and greater consideration of hand hygiene and personal space.

Why should there be greater uptake?

I took it most years in my 20s, but stopped after observing that I got sicker overall in the years that I took it.

May reconsider this when I reach 65, or if I develop some risk factors in the meantime.

I'm very pro vaccine for diseases that definitely kill large proportions. But not all have the same risk:benefit profile.

When I was a kid, hand and wound hygiene was strongly taught, because parents still remembered life before antibiotics. They've got a lot slacker, and definitely could do with strengthening. But I'm not sure about trying to avoiding all bugs: many think that increased household cleanliness has caused more asthma.

Covid-19 is different at the moment, because hardly anyone has immunity. Its not only about individual risk, its about health service capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Has anyone ever been tested for flu in Ireland? Had been in the US when I lived there. Whatever about the tests for it, should be no excuse now going forward. There's a vaccine that's 40%-60% effective. There should be greater uptake of that in future and greater consideration of hand hygiene and personal space.

Yes.

People get tested on hospital, I believe, and there's a programme called Sentinel that a certain proportion of GPs are signed up to that tests people for influenza and other respiratory illnesses - it was established a few years back AFAIK.

I think that's been integrated into the testing system now - if a person gets referred for a Covid test by their GP who is part of that programme they'll get asked to be tested for influenza too - and if they consent that's a separate test. So a certain proportion of people are being tested for flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭1641

I have always thought it should be a condition of employment for those working in healthcare settings and those working with vulnerable groups. It certainly should be brought in for the future. It is not only about indivivual risk. It is also about protecting others and the health service in general.

Of course, this was before I saw the results from Mrs OBumble's double-blind randomised control study

I took it most years in my 20s, but stopped after observing that I got sicker overall in the years that I took it.

• Advertisement

May reconsider this when I reach 65, or if I develop some risk factors in the meantime.

I'm very pro vaccine for diseases that definitely kill large proportions. But not all have the same risk:benefit profile.

When I was a kid, hand and wound hygiene was strongly taught, because parents still remembered life before antibiotics. They've got a lot slacker, and definitely could do with strengthening. But I'm not sure about trying to avoiding all bugs: many think that increased household cleanliness has caused more asthma.

Covid-19 is different at the moment, because hardly anyone has immunity. Its not only about individual risk, its about health service capacity.

There's a different strain of flu each year. 200-500 people die from the flu every year in Ireland.

I've been taking it for years due to my job. I still get colds but haven't had a flu. I started getting sick more often after having Swine Flu but had nothing to do with the flu vaccine. The rest of my family got the flu last year. I was sleeping in bed with my young son who had it and managed to be the only person in the house who didn't get it. It worked to convince my wife to get everyone vaccinated this year and in future.

The risk of the flu to us is low. It's higher to people we interact with or hope to when things get back to a little normality. If it helps reduce the chance of giving it to someone who might die or get badly harmed by it, I'll take the jab.

1641 wrote: »
    I have always thought it should be a condition of employment for those working in healthcare settings and those working with vulnerable groups. It certainly should be brought in for the future. It is not only about indivivual risk. It is also about protecting others and the health service in general.

Of course, this was before I saw the results from Mrs OBumble's double-blind randomised control study

Remember in 2019, Leo and the crew did their marketing campaign for it?

Only 1 in 3 healthcare workers in Ireland opted to get it. Embarrassing. According to my GP, there was a big demand for it this year for adults but little uptake for the nasal option for kids.

I work a healthcare tech job for a US company. Even though I'm in Ireland with little to no chance of flying over there any time soon, it's mandatory for me to get it. In previous years, it was the case if you didn't take it, you couldn't go into the hospitals which is as good as losing your job so they just cut out the BS and made it mandatory outright.

Arghus wrote: »
    Yes.

People get tested on hospital, I believe, and there's a programme called Sentinel that a certain proportion of GPs are signed up to that tests people for influenza and other respiratory illnesses - it was established a few years back AFAIK.

I think that's been integrated into the testing system now - if a person gets referred for a Covid test by their GP who is part of that programme they'll get asked to be tested for influenza too - and if they consent that's a separate test. So a certain proportion of people are being tested for flu.

Great info, thanks! I got tested for it in the US before. Also went to this thing they have called a Minute Clinic at a pharmacy where they have Nurse Practitioners to take patient visits. It's a class idea. I had a bad sore throat and rather than just look and take a guess, she did a test for strep.

It's great to see our country here is now starting to spin up the same primary caret care places. It should make a big dent in the A&E numbers over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

There's a different strain of flu each year. 200-500 people die from the flu every year in Ireland.

Can I ask where you got those figures please as I though figures were way lower. In 2018 they doubled from 2017 as there was a bad strain but they are back down now.

www.hpsc.ie is where I normally get my figures but they can be a year behind.

sgthighway wrote: »
    Can I ask where you got those figures please as I though figures were way lower. In 2018 they doubled from 2017 as there was a bad strain but they are back down now.

www.hpsc.ie is where I normally get my figures but they can be a year behind.

Sure thing. It's from the HSE:

https://www.hse.ie/eng/health/immunisation/pubinfo/flu-vaccination/importanceoffluhcws.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

If you look at that report it references the website www.hpsc.ie which is the place where the HSE share all their data. It is safe to say they are monitoring everything and I think overall are doing a good job.

https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/influenza/seasonalinfluenza/surveillance/influenzasurveillancereports/20202021season/

Got the flu jab myself about 6 weeks ago. I had it the next day. Hopefully that will be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭holly8

• Registered Users Posts: 25,209 ✭✭✭✭zell12

4962 cases nationally, 'only' 160 in Galway
    https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1345790691486691334?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Scary info on the news today.

We have 275 icu beds in the country, it could be expanded to 350 although not all would be proper icu, some would be just high dependency.

According to the hse chief we expect 350-400 with Covid in icu if numbers continue as they are.

We will back to the days of talking about whether there will be decisions on who to treat and who to leave if it continues.

All this while the newer more virulent variant is only 10 -16% of our current cases and 1000 frontline staff are off work ill or isolating.

Couldn't be a more expensive Christmas.

43 cases in UCHG now - 16 new cases admitted overnight.
    None in ICU and 7 beds free, so that's a little good news at this point.

https://www.galwaydaily.com/news/covid-19/coronavirus-uhg-had-highest-number-of-new-cases-yesterday/?fbclid=IwAR10KgYsA91x0S78CqOLQNP-ACT6bjqB65H6zY-LwqlqgheuBwjdVnlPJHc

Also elective procedures and outpatient appointments in UCHG now cancelled so they can deal with the expected surge.
    https://connachttribune.ie/elective-procedures-and-outpatient-appointments-to-be-cancelled-at-uhg-amid-rising-covid-rate/

6110 cases nationally today
    'only' 116 in Galway

“Right now the underlying level of disease is higher than the first wave.”
    https://www.thejournal.ie/ireland-covid-figures-2-5315476-Jan2021/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

43 cases in UCHG now - 16 new cases admitted overnight. None in ICU and 7 beds free, so that's a little good news at this point.

GUH does have patients in ICU. 2 patients. Another ward St. Joseph's ward has been converted into a covid ward. Expected to be full in the next 24 hours.

Talk about a cluster in north Galway but based on reports it seems like the word clusters a misnomer at this point...the entire country is a cluster now.

5325 cases nationally
    'only' 140 in Galway
    https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1346516335635927043?s=20

University Hospital Galway now has the third highest number of COVID-19 cases in the country after confirmed cases at the hospital increased by 20 in just 24 hours.

There is now a total of 67 confirmed cases at the hospital, of which five are in ICU, according to data taken by the HSE at 8.00pm yesterday evening.

Portiuncula Hospital in Ballinasloe has five cases of Covid-19 and two suspected cases.

At UHG, there are six general beds available and one ICU bed, while Portiuncula has no general beds or ICU beds.

https://www.galwaydaily.com/news/health/coronavirus-uhg-becomes-3rd-worst-hit-in-country-after-new-spike-in-hospitalisations/?fbclid=IwAR0u_meonVAX1rRZJBHWL7jipMBKH-UExPjVS-qpzk7jjtYKs0Z_RjMaUkY

• Advertisement

At UHG, there are six general beds available and one ICU bed, while Portiuncula has no general beds or ICU beds

Anyone know is there any work ongoing to prepare Bailey Allen Hall in NUIG as a field hospital? It was being prepared in Wave 1 but thankfully not needed.

Anyone know is there any work ongoing to prepare Bailey Allen Hall in NUIG as a field hospital? It was being prepared in Wave 1 but thankfully not needed.

I'd be very surprised if they aren't too steeped in chaos to do anything but react, can't imagine there has been time for preparing or planning - I hope I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I'd be very surprised if they aren't too steeped in chaos to do anything but react, can't imagine there has been time for preparing or planning - I hope I'm wrong.

There was loads of time for preparing and planning but the HSE made a balls of it.

There was loads of time for preparing and planning but the HSE made a balls of it.

What did they make a balls of exactly and how would you have done differently if you were in the HSE's position?

Lest we forget the way the HSE were dragged over the coals for "planning & preparing" during the first spike by getting beds booked out in private hospitals at no small cost. When it turned out they were not needed there was a call for heads to roll for spending so much in "preparedness".

Its like the moaning that goes on about the flood barrier at the Spanish Arch. Everyone hates it when its there and demands it be taken down but then the council get shouted at for spending 20k each time they have to put it back rather than leaving it in place for the winter.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't

7836 cases nationally
    just the 178 in Galway
    https://twitter.com/PaulQuinnNews/status/1346877345131606019

Well they have the plan from Wave 1, dust it off and get it done. Sounds like we might need it this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

Anti-maskers organising a protest in Ballinasloe today after two of them were arrested in UHG last night. As if our healthcare professionals don't have enough to be putting up with. https://twitter.com/galwayad/status/1347117962956836868 https://twitter.com/AngelaR34138326/status/1347003516078985216

It was on the radio that 350 health staff in UCHG now off work with Covid infection or as close contacts. 2 wards closed as a result.

• Advertisement

184 today

136382361_3690163351039880_4318280443835958218_o.jpg?_nc_cat=102&ccb=2&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=A78Ir0g0IWwAX8wEIzW&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub5-1.fna&oh=3b6f203270477dffd7e3b694835bc329&oe=601C2043

Advertisement