Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭testtech05

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    I've seen it mentioned a few times before that its approx. 80% no symptoms, 15% mild symptoms and 5% with more serious symptoms, many of these needing hospitalisation. I'd be fairly sure the actual number of people who've had it without knowing is multiples of the national case numbers reported.

There is a fella on Twitter tracking the positive swabs vs positive cases daily and other info regarding numbers of beds available, @RiochtConor2. There was a large backlog which was mostly cleared but was not fully cleared on January 7th when they said it was. Even yesterday for example, positive cases = 3086, positive swabs = 2456.

Hadn't heard that before, very interesting. Thanks for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭1641

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    I've seen it mentioned a few times before that its approx. 80% no symptoms, 15% mild symptoms and 5% with more serious symptoms, many of these needing hospitalisation. I'd be fairly sure the actual number of people who've had it without knowing is multiples of the national case numbers reported.

That is not accurate. This is the HSE, quoting in turn from WHO:

"For COVID-19, data to date suggest that 80% of infections are mild or asymptomatic, 15% are severe infection requiring oxygen and 5% are critical infections requiring ventilation. These fractions of severe and critical infection would be higher than those observed for influenza infection."

https://hselibrary.ie/what-is-the-rate-of-asymptomatic-carriage-of-covid-19-amongst-both-older-people-65-and-the-general-population/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

1641 wrote: »
    That is not accurate. This is the HSE, quoting in turn from WHO:

"For COVID-19, data to date suggest that 80% of infections are mild or asymptomatic, 15% are severe infection requiring oxygen and 5% are critical infections requiring ventilation. These fractions of severe and critical infection would be higher than those observed for influenza infection."

https://hselibrary.ie/what-is-the-rate-of-asymptomatic-carriage-of-covid-19-amongst-both-older-people-65-and-the-general-population/
    The link below would also back up your point, seems like it was initially thought Asymptomatic cases were as high as 80% but that it has been reduced.
    https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4851

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Apparently these cases are a backlog going back as Galway had low numbers for the last week or so while the rest of the Country was high hopefully the figure will be lower tomorrow

We didn't have "low numbers" really. Numbers for the last 7 days or so have been in the region of 200, with somedays having up to 280. A few days of 200ish with everyone involved having just 2 or 3 contacts becomes 600 very easily.

We wouldn't be shocked to see a run of 2 or 3 cases for a few days suddenly jump to 6. Sadly the same principle applies, that could be just what's happening here.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,209 ✭✭✭✭zell12

We didn't have "low numbers" really. Numbers for the last 7 days or so have been in the region of 200, with somedays having up to 280. A few days of 200ish with everyone involved having just 2 or 3 contacts becomes 600 very easily.
    We wouldn't be shocked to see a run of 2 or 3 cases for a few days suddenly jump to 6. Sadly the same principle applies, that could be just what's happening here.
    We kinda did. 3rd most populous county had disproportional low numbers, also compared to near counties Mayo and Clare.

• Advertisement

zell12 wrote: »
    We kinda did. 3rd most populous county had disproportional low numbers, also compared to near counties Mayo and Clare.

Proportionally yes but it wouldn't really speak to the possibility of a bump in figures.

200 today though thank god!

Remember in March 2020 when there was frantic rumours of one possible case in a school in Craighwell... amazing how the thresholds for good and bad shift over time! :P

When things are so bad that the figure of 200 looks great :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Maybe the large figure was as a result mass testing of an affected area or institution?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

saabsaab wrote: »
    Maybe the large figure was as a result mass testing of an affected area or institution?

Might be right, can only think of one institution in Galway that would give ya that kind of figure though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Might be right, can only think of one institution in Galway that would give ya that kind of figure though.

UHG
    NUIG
    GMIT
    Medtronic
    Boston

• Registered Users Posts: 18,174 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

UHG
    NUIG
    GMIT
    Medtronic
    Boston

NUIG and GMIT wouldn't have 600+ people to test at the moment, come on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

UHG
    NUIG
    GMIT
    Medtronic
    Boston

UHG - alot of sections of it are very old, feel sorry for staff working in such an old hospital at the best of times, during a pandemic..... :eek:

3955 cases nationally
    217 cases in Galway
    https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1349784804242415616?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

JCX BXC wrote: »
    NUIG and GMIT wouldn't have 600+ people to test at the moment, come on.

I haven't been on either campus for ages. Understand that labs were still happening until Christmas though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

The 600 figure earlier this week was part of a backlog

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1349812557800943626

The 600 figure earlier this week was part of a backlog

Would be nice if backlogs were applied to their original test date so we can see a more accurate trend in cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,486 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Was obvious enough it was backlog tbf.

200 or so a day in Galway seems the case number.

Hopefully they can sort the mess out in the hospital soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Would be nice if backlogs were applied to their original test date so we can see a more accurate trend in cases.

I think the yellow line on this graph is what you're looking for?

pKNShz6.png

From the CSO

I believe they did that originally but it was confusing af

• Advertisement

pKNShz6.png

From the CSO

Nice, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭amandstu

Nice, thanks.

So the daily cases (with the backlogs taken into account) have been falling?

I thought the R number was over 1?

Shouldn't daily numbers have been increasing all the while until such time as the R number dips beneath 1?

Have I misunderstood the yellow line in the graph?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

amandstu wrote: »

Shouldn't daily numbers have been increasing all the while until such time as the R number dips beneath 1?

It's not quite that straight forward unfortunately.
    The case dedected case numbers are going down on a daily basis.

I'd suggest that the calculations on the R number are difficult at present as close contacts are not being tested, but one would assume the R number is dropping.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/health-52473523

ICU in Galway's hospitals has hit capacity now.

https://www.galwaydaily.com/news/covid-19/covid-19-intensive-care-units-at-capacity-in-galway-as-141-hospitalised/?fbclid=IwAR3MieeQw4sImMlsACi7fzYTmdc0PreanCHt771PfZ4qVJ2uwCahk6KDD4M

Scary as it's most likely next week that we will feel the surge, it's usually 10-14 days after infection that people require ICU care, and it's then our 200 a day numbers really bite.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

amandstu wrote: »

They are not testing close contacts at the moment

3498 nationally
    187 in Galway
    https://twitter.com/gavreilly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,585 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/half-those-who-arrived-ireland-23325388

I need to lie down after reading that.

160000 came to ireland over Xmas..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭serfboard

Good God - that yellow line shows 9 days with over 5,000 cases each - or 45,000 in total.

Frightening stuff.

Can this be pulled for Galway only?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/half-those-who-arrived-ireland-23325388

I need to lie down after reading that.

160000 came to ireland over Xmas..

No further explanation is needed for surge.

Advertisement