Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

pure.conya wrote: »
    yeah, your hallway, landing or back garden

Front garden? Or is that off limits?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

biko wrote: »
    LE William Butler Yeats is due to be used as a COVID19 test centre for Galway operating from a berth in the docks.

MrsBeard made some good points this morning about it being one of the least suitable places to have a test centre. You have to go to city centre, find parking, touch the gangway as you head up, lots of metal surfaces, who knows how many accidental touches people will make to be tested. If you are elderly or have a fever and don't feel well I'm not sure a boat is the best option.
    6 wrote: »
    A lot of people not practicing it today on the prom :(
    Prom is busier now than it is at the height of Summer. Just about the last place I’d go for a stroll right now.

I was there this morning at half 8 and it was already too busy to maintain social distancing. My "space" was invaded at least 40 times going to mutton island and back. One woman openly coughing and with the typical winds at the prom I doubt the recommended distancing is enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Where are the test Centers in Galway.

The boat at docks is one, anyone know the others?

Presume you are just sent to the one closest to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

When stuck indoors most of the day, a daily walk is good for the mind and body. No risk to anyone if you get out in nature and avoid others.

Where are the test Centers in Galway.

The boat at docks is one, anyone know the others?

Presume you are just sent to the one closest to you.
    Renmore community centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,658 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

There is a difference between going for a quiet walk in the fresh air with someone you live with and heading out to Salthill for a big group walk , chat and a coffee like it's a Sunday in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

There is a good reason for you not to go into the shops during the restricted hours then. You wouldn't want to infect your elderly neighbor would you.

I am sure Ireland and the world will applaud you for your heroic efforts to care for your elderly neighbor, I believe Michael D has ordered a consignment of medals especially for heroes like you but please dont use your gesture as an excuse to get into the shops when they are a bit quieter.

Can I please ask you and other non elderly or vulnerable people to give us the 2 hours in the shop. It is not a guarantee that we will not contact the virus while out but it will lessen our risk.

Please dismount from your high horse. I was asking primarily for someone who asked me. This is a young person who can't drive due to their condition, they have a lift to the shop in the morning with a neighbour who is elderly. They live with their own elderly parent and are worried they won't be able to do their shopping as the don't 'look' vulnerable. You can keep the judgement for judge judy!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

JohnCleary wrote: »
    DaRobertas still open for sit in last night, Mar 19.

Idiots. I wont be darkening their doors in future.
    6 wrote: »
    Money >> best interest of customers.

Short-term thinking > Long-term thinking.

From what I hear, they are getting backlash online, and rightly so.

This could come to burn them in the medium term.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

They announced this morning that they are closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Signage going up on the prom today. Council concerned about how busy it is.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Likely it would be closed next week ditto all city parks ? Strong words from HSE and government today

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

It’ll be ignored like the pick up after your dog signs

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Yup, those pesky teens hanging out in gangs.

Oh wait, it appears to be people of all ages. Still, pesky teenagers.

It's certainly concerning that so many are ignoring the advice and attending busy areas such as salthill. Same eejits who stand on top of you in the supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

It’ll be ignored like the pick up after your dog signs

Probably. I think they'll need stronger measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

I was at the the Dunnes in Knocknacarra. It was pretty quiet when I went but I usually go later in the day so that's why I was curious if people have had to queue to get in.

They must be thrilled Pennys being closed as they're the go to place for new socks and the like for the duration.

Just back from a walk to Cappagh park and the car park was quite busy. Playground open which is really daft as far as touching surfaces.

I went to Briarhill this morning before 9. It was fairly quiet. Most people respecting the distance rules but still some idiots getting right up beside people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Was in Lidl in Doughishka this afternoon.
    Brisk trade, but not crowded. Well stocked shelves with nothing in short supply.
    Have people finally copped on???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Brisk trade, but not crowded. Well stocked shelves with nothing in short supply.

And/or the supply chain rebounding after last week's shock to the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Just reading it now on RTE it's the drug the the Chinese used in Woohan to stop the virus, the US and France are testing now on people who don't have the virus but have been exposed to it the results in France are reported to be good.

Do you have the RTE link to that? TIA

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

What about the medium-to-long term? :p

Most likely the cupboards are fully stocked after the silliness of last week so no need to go running out for more. Not to mention a lot of folks will be hurting financially now so there is little scope for hoarding for those people.

• Advertisement

Any word on whether Medtronic are looking for people as they ramp up ventilator production?

Any word on whether Medtronic are looking for people as they ramp up ventilator production?

Yes, they are moving to a 24/7 operation there to try and meet demand

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/health-pharma/medtronic-to-double-number-of-staff-making-ventilators-in-ireland-1.4207316

FYI, Covidian in Mervue is now owned by Medtronic and they are manufacturing ventilators 24/7 now.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

JCX BXC wrote: »
    They announced this morning that they are closed.

Where did they announce that?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,658 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I have a feeling that they will be moving staff from Parkmore -> Mervue as it would involve less training and spend. But the Parkmore site may be hiring to make up for the moving of their staff.

If you are looking for employment, Amazon are hiring Irish based people to work from home currently.

Dunnes Briarhill were limiting entry at 2 pm today. About 15 people queuing when I arrived, less than 5 minutes waiting to enter. No hoards inside, easy to get around, well stocked and I was out in less than 10 minutes. Dunnes definitely the most proactive of the supermarkets so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 JackyJoe

Ok all,
    A heads up.
    Hand sanitizers, Face masks are at a premium now, due to supply The next thing to have run on is disposable gloves, Nitrite , etc. The Asian manufacturers that make these are shutting down ports etc, not China per-say. So if you use them, now's the time to buy a few. Soap and water is still a great method, but gloves are good for petrol pumps or if helping out your parents and neighbours. Do not be asking links to this, really. In the distribution industry, so felt I should share what I know. Hopefully it wont be as manic as the masks and hand sanitizers.

Stay safe everyone, and use some cope on ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Has to go to shop today. Attempted to go to Aldi in Oranmore. Car park fairly packed. Lots of people inside. I did a u turn.

Went to Tesco next door. Not much better to be honest. Some random social distancing but nothing special.

A lot to be learnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

We ended up going for a walk for an hour or so around Rosscahill Woods, lovely evening for it. Only met a handful of people and good safe distance was given.

506382.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

Has to go to shop today. Attempted to go to Aldi in Oranmore. Car park fairly packed. Lots of people inside. I did a u turn.

Went to Tesco next door. Not much better to be honest. Some random social distancing but nothing special.

A lot to be learnt.

I was in Tesco Oranmore this afternoon. I found it good. People mostly good with the social distancing. And they were cleaning down the self service tills after every user which was great. And cleaning baskets immediately.

Advertisement