Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

26 in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Totally, however, in the context of this country, while loads have been shouting about closing the airports/enforced quarentine etc, none of those are able to offer even a morsel of a suggestion as to what to do about the border to the North.

In fact, its so far from being a possibility of closing the border to the north that they (Irish & British govt's) are now looking at the possibility of lumping both islands together as even the British govt don't think they can close access to NI with the DUP being the major issue.

Given that one of the new variants is coming out of the UK, its seems farcical in the extreme to consider the above as an option, but if you want to do security theater then this is how you do it so the masses are appeased but in the grand scheme of things its no better than doing nothing.
    Yeah, of course, if you don't treat the island as the island that is is in the context of a natural sea border then quarentine for international travellers in the Republic is all but pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

kippy wrote: »
    Yeah, of course, if you don't treat the island as the island that is is in the context of a natural sea border then quarentine for international travellers in the Republic is all but pointless.

Of course it would be better to have an all Ireland solution but not pointless. We aren't supposed to travel more than 5Km after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

pjohnson wrote: »
    Ideally they'd be turfed out of college if they were enrolled.

Unlikely they probably even have a leaving cert however.

Ffs . Just fine them. They have an almost 100% survival rate from covid. There's no need to overreact

saabsaab wrote: »
    Of course it would be better to have an all Ireland solution but not pointless. We aren't supposed to travel more than 5Km after all.

The 5km restriction is what is currently in place, that's not always been the case (since March)

• Advertisement

Storm 10 wrote: »
    26 in Galway

I think the day that Galway had 600 cases reported was 13 days ago, so the 14 day incidence for the county should drop fairly sharply in the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,649 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Ffs . Just fine them. They have an almost 100% survival rate from covid. There's no need to overreact

No harm teaching them that actions have consequences.

From G Bay FM

'
    At a COVID-19 briefing this afternoon, Professor Pat Nash told city councillors the infrastructure at ground and first floor levels of UHG has created challenges with outbreaks of the infection.
    Professor Pat Nash said there has been multiple outbreaks on wards with a disease strain that appears to be much more infectious.
    The meeting heard there are a number of long wards with multiple beds where patients have one toilet.
    He pointed to the newer wards such as the Shannon, Corrib and Claddagh where there had been no outbreaks due to the level of en-suite facilities.'

From G Bay FM

'
    At a COVID-19 briefing this afternoon, Professor Pat Nash told city councillors the infrastructure at ground and first floor levels of UHG has created challenges with outbreaks of the infection.
    Professor Pat Nash said there has been multiple outbreaks on wards with a disease strain that appears to be much more infectious.
    The meeting heard there are a number of long wards with multiple beds where patients have one toilet.
    He pointed to the newer wards such as the Shannon, Corrib and Claddagh where there had been no outbreaks due to the level of en-suite facilities.'

Restrictions extended until 5th March.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,211 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Restrictions extended until 5th March
    Looks like the Daily Mail of 23 December 2020 was correct! :pac:
    WwgRN6B.png

zell12 wrote: »
    Looks like the Daily Mail of 23 December 2020 was correct! :pac:
    WwgRN6B.png

Old news let's look forward not back

saabsaab wrote: »
    From G Bay FM

'

I suppose at the moment it is really difficult to tell if it is because the disease is much more infectious OR more people have the disease in general OR this strain has far more Asymptomatic cases......All would lead to more infections.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I suppose at the moment it is really difficult to tell if it is because the disease is much more infectious OR more people have the disease in general OR this strain has far more Asymptomatic cases......All would lead to more infections.

I think they are aware that the disease is more transmissible. The other night on Prime Time they outlined real life examples from hospitals around the country where patients in hospital, who had been tested on entry and were negative, got Covid while admitted. They were able to study the transmission route and it was obvious that it spread like wildfire once one infected staff member entered a ward even briefly, and how that infected neighbouring wards quickly despite little cross over of staff/interaction. That's all in a controlled environment with hygiene and prevention measures being rigorously followed so I would think more easy to determine what is at the route of the increased transmission. Interestingly the Prof interviewed was from UCHG and he also was asked about use of n95 masks instead of surgical masks. He said health staff there are wearing them but they're finding it's only making a marginal difference to transmission, he gave an example of someone wearing one but contracting Covid when they wiped a hair out of their eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

106 in Galway

1466 total today

he gave an example of someone wearing one but contracting Covid when they wiped a hair out of their eye.

Wow, have out tests gotten that accurate that they can pinpoint when and how you contracted it...?

I think they are aware that the disease is more transmissible. The other night on Prime Time they outlined real life examples from hospitals around the country where patients in hospital, who had been tested on entry and were negative, got Covid while admitted. They were able to study the transmission route and it was obvious that it spread like wildfire once one infected staff member entered a ward even briefly, and how that infected neighbouring wards quickly despite little cross over of staff/interaction. That's all in a controlled environment with hygiene and prevention measures being rigorously followed so I would think more easy to determine what is at the route of the increased transmission. Interestingly the Prof interviewed was from UCHG and he also was asked about use of n95 masks instead of surgical masks. He said health staff there are wearing them but they're finding it's only making a marginal difference to transmission, he gave an example of someone wearing one but contracting Covid when they wiped a hair out of their eye.
    I missed the programme so you'll have to excuse my ignorance.
    Did they confirm that covid strains that they were talking about?
    Were the able to say for definite that all patients studied in the chain contracted the UK strain?

The 14 day incident rate in Galway 11-25th Jan is 721.1 per 100,000

EAs:
    Galway City Central 685.3
    Galway City East 797.1
    Galway City West 496.6
    Gort Kinvara 812.6
    Loughrea 323
    Tuam 1099.7

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭amandstu

The 14 day incident rate in Galway 11-25th Jan is 721.1 per 100,000

EAs:
    Galway City Central 685.3
    Galway City East 797.1
    Galway City West 496.6
    Gort Kinvara 812.6
    Loughrea 323
    Tuam 1099.7

Can I ask you where did you source those figures?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Reading this today really reminded me just how deadly this virus is and how fast it can strike. The loneliness associated with it is heart-wrenching.

It's the words of a daughter following her Dad's passing since Christmas due to COVID, a wonderful man I knew well.

Funeral without a handshake

Read more...

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement

amandstu wrote: »

https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/ (Most likely)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Reading this today really reminded me just how deadly this virus is and how fast it can strike. The loneliness associated with it is heart-wrenching.

It's the words of a daughter following her Dad's passing since Christmas due to COVID, a wonderful man I knew well.

Funeral without a handshake

Read more...

-

Agree the funeral is heart wrenching, and the restrictions on individual families in order to limit Covid spread are enormously difficult. ( Personally I think the receiving lines are a horrible custom, but I know most people here don't agree.)

But this speed of death is not unique to Covid. Especially when parents are in their 80s, every single day you get with them is a bonus.

amandstu wrote: »

The figures are on the Covid app. Click on the 'national picture' then click on 'Galway', scroll down and all the electoral areas are outlined.

Garda covid checkpoint in Salthill today, hadn't seen them out much this lockdown.

Saw another Garda heading down to Blackrock where about 10 swimmers were in behind the barriers. Wonder how that went!

Salthill has been keeping busy despite the parking restrictions. Lot more people wearing masks while getting their exercise outside now too.

35/49 residents in Tuam Greenpark nursing home have C19, 12 deaths, 4 on Sunday and Monday
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/it-is-a-nightmare-we-had-deaths-covids-heavy-toll-on-residents-and-staff-who-had-stayed-free-of-disease-40029279.html

Potential fingers pointing at large funerals and crowds at Christmas, a month ago

35/49 residents in Tuam Greenpark nursing home have C19, 12 deaths, 4 on Sunday and Monday
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/it-is-a-nightmare-we-had-deaths-covids-heavy-toll-on-residents-and-staff-who-had-stayed-free-of-disease-40029279.html

Potential fingers pointing at large funerals and crowds at Christmas, a month ago

Where are you seeing fingers being points at large funerals and crowds at Christmas?
    No mention (nor should there be) of this in the article.

Where are you seeing fingers being points at large funerals and crowds at Christmas?
    No mention (nor should there be) of this in the article.

Unreal how he comes to that conclusion when it's not mentioned this is the scare mongering that some posters thrive on.

Where are you seeing fingers being points at large funerals and crowds at Christmas? No mention (nor should there be) of this in the article.
    It is in this Radio1 piece Monday around 3min+ mark
    https://www.rte.ie/radio1/drivetime/#103588841

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭serfboard

It is in this Radio1 piece Monday around 3min+ mark
    https://www.rte.ie/radio1/drivetime/#103588841
    The coverage by RTÉ of the Green Park nursing home situation was really good - well worth listening back to.

• Advertisement

53 cases in Galway
    still third worst in country
    https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1356668974893854720?s=20

Advertisement