Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

"Third worst", you mean third highest, Galway has a larger population than most counties.

Incidence rate of 408.0, below the national incidence of 455.0

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Zell12 likes to be the bearer of bad news fails to see anything positive

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Zell12 likes to be the bearer of bad news fails to see anything positive

Not nice to see this.
    The thread and forum will be very uncomfortable if we are going to take to posting unfounded assumptions about each other.
    It only reflects on yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Storm, if you have a problem with a post, report it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭amandstu

Anyone suggest where to buy a face shield around town?

Pharmacies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Killed

amandstu wrote: »

Pharmacies?

Aldi have them

Killed wrote: »
    Aldi have them

Are some qualities better than others?I heard to make sure they extended around as far as the ears.

Are some qualities better than others?I heard to make sure they extended around as far as the ears.

Realistically, face shields are of very poor quality for protecting against the virus. If it's possible, mask all the way.

If you cannot, yes of course the more coverage provided by the shield the better. But I'd really emphasise wearing a mask if possible.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Realistically, face shields are of very poor quality for protecting against the virus. If it's possible, mask all the way.

If you cannot, yes of course the more coverage provided by the shield the better. But I'd really emphasise wearing a mask if possible.

I agree completely. Perhaps I could have clarified that I was interested in acquiring a face shield so as to be able to wear it in conjunction with a mask (to additionally protect the eyes)

I agree that to wear a face shield on its own is ineffective and possibly dangerous (from what I have heard.anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,211 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Dunnes selling em off cheap, stick with the mask
    https://www.dunnesstores.com/search?keywords=face%20mask&sort=asc_price
    3260517_white_1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,211 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Ouch that's quite a number, however incidence is still falling, 389.8 per 100,000 compared to the national average of 424.1.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

zell12 wrote: »
    Dunnes selling em off cheap, stick with the mask

If you're serious about being protected, you need eye protection. Use both.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Ouch that's quite a number, however incidence is still falling, 389.8 per 100,000 compared to the national average of 424.1.

You'd wonder how it can be maintaining itself so high when we are in lockdown. I know 2 families who've got it in the past few days.1 member in each works outside the home, both families have vulnerable people so are careful. It's definitely still in the community.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

You'd wonder how it can be maintaining itself so high when we are in lockdown. I know 2 families who've got it in the past few days.1 member in each works outside the home, both families have vulnerable people so are careful. It's definitely still in the community.

Is it much higher because of the big nursing home spike?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

I was going in to Dunnes in Knocknacarra yesterday evening about 6pm. The staff member at the door requested that we sanitise our hands which we did as usual. As we were doing this a guy walked past us. The staff member asked him to sanitise his hands and he said he did which he blatently had not as we were still at the sanitiser machine. The staff member repeated his request, said it was store policy etc. The idiot was now up in the staff members face refusing to do as requested. He then gave the guy the middle finger, right up in his face and said fcuk you and barged past into the store. The staff member went after him and stopped him in the veg isle where the man continued to refuse to do as requested in the interests of public safety. We had to pass about a minute later when the staff member was trying to refuse to let the man go when he just pushed past him and off into the shop.

This is one of the reasons we are going to be in this for a long time. People who think they have the right not to take the precautions when the rest of us are curtailing our lives. I bet this scumbag was very proud of himself when he got home, bragging about how he told the Dunnes guy to fcuk off.

I have nothing but contempt for this person and all the rest of you out there who think your rights are more important that the rest of us. Those of you who think they dont need to wear masks, who dont need to sanitise their hands, who think they are entitled to travel and go on holidays or come home for Christmas.

When all this is over, will you be able to hold your head high and say you done your bit even if that bit is just abiding by the rules that we all have to live with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

I hope you spoke to the manager to commend the actions of that employee.

But management and the security person should shove that person out the door. Management reserve the right to refuse admission n all that. Spineless management in most shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

I think this guy was one of the managers, I see him inside in a suit quite a bit. I wanted to go up to him after and commend him for his actions however he was back on the door with people coming in and the masks just make spontaneous communication like that difficult. I will mention it to him at another time though. Remind him that we are not all selfish pricks and that most people do appreciate what he and others are doing to protect us while we shop.

My wife's mother works in retail and she has a new story every day that would shock you about the behavior of so called normal people.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

If you're serious about being protected, you need eye protection. Use both.

If you are serious about being protected, don't leave the house for anything ever,
    but yes, tbf on their own those visors are pointless - but with a mask give you a slightly higher level of protection than just with a mask alone.

kippy wrote: »
    If you are serious about being protected, don't leave the house for anything ever,
    but yes, tbf on their own those visors are pointless - but with a mask give you a slightly higher level of protection than just with a mask alone.
    According to Hasseltine I think it was 95% vs 50%.

That would , if accurate be a lot more than a slightly higher level of protection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,156 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Laviski wrote: »
    I hope you spoke to the manager to commend the actions of that employee.

But management and the security person should shove that person out the door. Management reserve the right to refuse admission n all that. Spineless management in most shops.

Spoken like someone who has never worked in retail. As if they haven't enough to be doing without the utter hassle of dealing with morons who can't follow simple advice. If someone is breaching laws around it then the Gardai should be called, should be out of the hands of retail management and staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Tell them that they won't be served at the counter!

Spoken like someone who has never worked in retail. As if they haven't enough to be doing without the utter hassle of dealing with morons who can't follow simple advice. If someone is breaching laws around it then the Gardai should be called, should be out of the hands of retail management and staff.

Ah jesus you'd swear retail staff were digging in the mines FFS. Bar staff have it much worse, especially with the mask enforcement.

Shouldn't be on individual staff members, however supermarkets should have dedicated security staff for this reason. The guards are simply expected to do everything here!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

kippy wrote: »

There is not some sort of magic blanket around your house: the same air that is in the street is flowing in and out of the house's doors, windows and vents.

If you're that worried, you'll be masked and eye-protected at home too.

Ah jesus you'd swear retail staff were digging in the mines FFS. Bar staff have it much worse, especially with the mask enforcement.

Shouldn't be on individual staff members, however supermarkets should have dedicated security staff for this reason. The guards are simply expected to do everything here!

Well they are the people who are there to enforce the law, not members of the public. I'm not sure that a 19yr old girl paid minimum wage, on a Dunnes till should be expected to tell an aggressive, grown man that she won't serve him. The case above shows that some people don't listen to staff in the shop, in those cases Gardai should be the ones to enforce it. I'm sure bar staff have it just as bad, don't see the need for the comparison though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

If they can't check out their coke cans they'll learn soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

There is not some sort of magic blanket around your house: the same air that is in the street is flowing in and out of the house's doors, windows and vents.

If you're that worried, you'll be masked and eye-protected at home too.

I don't think you understand how this virus gets around tbh, anyway I digress.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,585 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

I was going in to Dunnes in Knocknacarra yesterday evening about 6pm. The staff member at the door requested that we sanitise our hands which we did as usual. As we were doing this a guy walked past us. The staff member asked him to sanitise his hands and he said he did which he blatently had not as we were still at the sanitiser machine. The staff member repeated his request, said it was store policy etc. The idiot was now up in the staff members face refusing to do as requested. He then gave the guy the middle finger, right up in his face and said fcuk you and barged past into the store. The staff member went after him and stopped him in the veg isle where the man continued to refuse to do as requested in the interests of public safety. We had to pass about a minute later when the staff member was trying to refuse to let the man go when he just pushed past him and off into the shop.

This is one of the reasons we are going to be in this for a long time. People who think they have the right not to take the precautions when the rest of us are curtailing our lives. I bet this scumbag was very proud of himself when he got home, bragging about how he told the Dunnes guy to fcuk off.

I have nothing but contempt for this person and all the rest of you out there who think your rights are more important that the rest of us. Those of you who think they dont need to wear masks, who dont need to sanitise their hands, who think they are entitled to travel and go on holidays or come home for Christmas.

When all this is over, will you be able to hold your head high and say you done your bit even if that bit is just abiding by the rules that we all have to live with.
    same in Dunnes terryland.
    you can guess.. the normal culprits

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

would say the same to you. calling the gardai is a waste of time, you will be lucky if they turn up in a reasonble timeframe. In case you haven't noticed gardai numbers haven't been at full strenght, still trying to reach their 15k target.

for your info, in my younger years spent many a time in retail, with dealings with all the main grocery managers and their assistants. Some decent folk there that i know that lead as an example and back their security team while there are others that would throw you under a bus if it anyway benefited them. Just depends what kind of managemnet is in the store and if they have a pair. So what other baseless facts will your spew out that i didn't work in retail.

those that flout the public health should be turfed out and not let anyone's else's time be wasted. but the problem is hear no evil see no evil, to keep to their own and avoid confrontation. Its just the way society is, when people see a wrong happen be it a violent encounter, health violations or a dog excrement along the prom (just some examples)- many would just turn a blind eye rather than intervene perhaps read it in the paper and say "isn't that terrible" maybe send complaints to council to go do something about it. so you must be one of those.

people should have a certain level of responsiblity to themselves and others around them, treat people as they would like to be treated, maybe some civic pride, maybe leave a place as you would like to find it. In certain locations, I bet staff are only delighted that they could close their toilet facilities due to this pandemic.

• Advertisement

Laviski wrote: »
    would say the same to you. calling the gardai is a waste of time, you will be lucky if they turn up in a reasonble timeframe. In case you haven't noticed gardai numbers haven't been at full strenght, still trying to reach their 15k target.

for your info, in my younger years spent many a time in retail, with dealings with all the main grocery managers and their assistants. Some decent folk there that i know that lead as an example and back their security team while there are others that would throw you under a bus if it anyway benefited them. Just depends what kind of managemnet is in the store and if they have a pair. So what other baseless facts will your spew out that i didn't work in retail.

those that flout the public health should be turfed out and not let anyone's else's time be wasted. but the problem is hear no evil see no evil, to keep to their own and avoid confrontation. Its just the way society is, when people see a wrong happen be it a violent encounter, health violations or a dog excrement along the prom (just some examples)- many would just turn a blind eye rather than intervene perhaps read it in the paper and say "isn't that terrible" maybe send complaints to council to go do something about it. so you must be one of those.

people should have a certain level of responsiblity to themselves and others around them, treat people as they would like to be treated, maybe some civic pride, maybe leave a place as you would like to find it. In certain locations, I bet staff are only delighted that they could close their toilet facilities due to this pandemic.

Christ that was a stream of......something. Great point made about making assumptions, up until you made an assumption. You should set up an anti anti-mask vigilante group to help out any retailers who don't want the hassle of it, sounds like you'd be good at it.

Advertisement