Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

I was going in to Dunnes in Knocknacarra yesterday evening about 6pm. The staff member at the door requested that we sanitise our hands which we did as usual. As we were doing this a guy walked past us. The staff member asked him to sanitise his hands and he said he did which he blatently had not as we were still at the sanitiser machine. The staff member repeated his request, said it was store policy etc. The idiot was now up in the staff members face refusing to do as requested. He then gave the guy the middle finger, right up in his face and said fcuk you and barged past into the store. The staff member went after him and stopped him in the veg isle where the man continued to refuse to do as requested in the interests of public safety. We had to pass about a minute later when the staff member was trying to refuse to let the man go when he just pushed past him and off into the shop.

This is one of the reasons we are going to be in this for a long time. People who think they have the right not to take the precautions when the rest of us are curtailing our lives. I bet this scumbag was very proud of himself when he got home, bragging about how he told the Dunnes guy to fcuk off.

I have nothing but contempt for this person and all the rest of you out there who think your rights are more important that the rest of us. Those of you who think they dont need to wear masks, who dont need to sanitise their hands, who think they are entitled to travel and go on holidays or come home for Christmas.

When all this is over, will you be able to hold your head high and say you done your bit even if that bit is just abiding by the rules that we all have to live with.

What happened in Dunnes stores was wrong. People should remember that social distancing of 2m is the most important infection control measure. Sadly, the majority out and about fail to social distance 2m when there is plenty of room to do so. I see people walking right beside me time and time again. Even joggers. I think people think they need not social distance when wearing a face mask, whereas a face mask is more protective for 3rd parties rather than the wearer. Also the quality of some face masks is questionable.

Up until recent months I witnessed staff, who appeared to me to be fit and well, wear plastic visors alone. I pointed out to management that visors alone conferred little if any protection apart from eye protection ( wet spots) yet nothing was done at that time to compel face masks to be worn by employees. Why is the government at this late stage making these guidelines re masks etc obligatory under the Law. Why at this late stage are they compelling bank and post office employees to wear face masks.

I think that the management of stores should hire employees to (1) monitor numbers entering for crowd control ( 2) police face mask and very importantly social distancing in-store. If patrons dont comply they can be asked to leave. If they dont leave as licences they become trespassers. Some large stores have narrow aisles where 2m distancing is impossible. The solution is either a one way system or widen the aisles. Doors should be kept open at all times to improve ventilation but they are not. Hand sanitation is important but the correct clinical hand sanitation technique must be adopted using a 60% +alcohol sanatizer. Some automated dispensers give far too little hand sanatizer and the contents therein should also be clearly displayed.

Tony Holohan admitted this week that retail could improve their infection control measures. It's quite obvious and expected that retail outlets are hazardous for transmission of SARS cov 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Well they are the people who are there to enforce the law, not members of the public. I'm not sure that a 19yr old girl paid minimum wage, on a Dunnes till should be expected to tell an aggressive, grown man that she won't serve him. The case above shows that some people don't listen to staff in the shop, in those cases Gardai should be the ones to enforce it. I'm sure bar staff have it just as bad, don't see the need for the comparison though.

Aren't these staff supposed to not serve people without ID? When they're intoxicated? Not serve 2 packets of paracetamol? When their payment fails? People get aggressive in all these situations too.

And if you notice, I said should not be on individual staff members. However, it's not like they're breaking up fights either.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,156 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Aren't these staff supposed to not serve people without ID? When they're intoxicated? Not serve 2 packets of paracetamol? When their payment fails? People get aggressive in all these situations too.

And if you notice, I said should not be on individual staff members. However, it's not like they're breaking up fights either.

Ah I see, so because you feel some people already get aggressive in the above situations we should now ask staff to deal with more situations in which they may not feel safe, nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

I was going in to Dunnes in Knocknacarra yesterday evening about 6pm. The staff member at the door requested that we sanitise our hands which we did as usual. As we were doing this a guy walked past us. The staff member asked him to sanitise his hands and he said he did which he blatently had not as we were still at the sanitiser machine. The staff member repeated his request, said it was store policy etc. The idiot was now up in the staff members face refusing to do as requested. He then gave the guy the middle finger, right up in his face and said fcuk you and barged past into the store. The staff member went after him and stopped him in the veg isle where the man continued to refuse to do as requested in the interests of public safety. We had to pass about a minute later when the staff member was trying to refuse to let the man go when he just pushed past him and off into the shop.

This is one of the reasons we are going to be in this for a long time. People who think they have the right not to take the precautions when the rest of us are curtailing our lives. I bet this scumbag was very proud of himself when he got home, bragging about how he told the Dunnes guy to fcuk off.

Nice story. I just wonder if this guy would take a bottle of whiskey and show middle finger to staff on exit instead of payment - would their staff same helpless or security would act more effective protecting Dunness property?

Ah I see, so because you feel some people already get aggressive in the above situations we should now ask staff to deal with more situations in which they may not feel safe, nice.

Did I say that?

Can you highlight where I said that?

Whataboutery is not a discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,156 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Did I say that?

Can you highlight where I said that?

Whataboutery is not a discussion.

You didn't explicitly say that no, but it's clearly the consequence of what you're saying. If you want to deflect then work away. My point is that shop staff shouldn't be the ones forced into dealing with the few aggressive numptys who can't follow the laws. The people to enforce laws in this country are the Gardai. They should be more visible and taking action against the 'usual suspects' and others as said above.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Thats me wrote: »
    Nice story. I just wonder if this guy would take a bottle of whiskey and show middle finger to staff on exit instead of payment - would their staff same helpless or security would act more effective protecting Dunness property?

There are no medical exemptions which provide for free whiskey, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Laviski wrote: »
    I hope you spoke to the manager to commend the actions of that employee.

But management and the security person should shove that person out the door. Management reserve the right to refuse admission n all that. Spineless management in most shops.

I don't agree at all. I'm amazed and impressed at that story of the employee who confronted that man and continued to follow an aggressive person around to try and ensure they were not a risk to others. Who in security, even store management, is paid enough to get up in the face of a person you know isn't even willing to sanitise and would be among the most likely people to make you sick?
    There was a time where you worried you might get a punch dealing with a troublesome customer, now you have to worry you might get a virus too that you'll bring home to your family who might be vulnerable.

I think fair bloody play to that person who at least tried and didn't roll his eyes and let the guy pass without confronting him as peacefully as he could.

Dr Anthony Fauci, the US's top infectious disease consultant now says that he sometimes wears 2 masks for extra protection. At president Biden's inauguration a lot of people were wearing two.

I don't think I'd want to do that generally, but if you were in a situation that was more risky, like if you have to visit someone vulnerable, or if you are vulnerable, it might be worth considering it.

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-wear-double-masks-according-to-fauci-2021-1?r=US&IR=T

https://apnews.com/article/does-two-masks-give-more-protection-3bcaaedbe29c1535f2336660e9929d77

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I don't agree at all. I'm amazed and impressed at that story of the employee who confronted that man and continued to follow an aggressive person around to try and ensure they were not a risk to others. Who in security, even store management, is paid enough to get up in the face of a person you know isn't even willing to sanitise and would be among the most likely people to make you sick?
    There was a time where you worried you might get a punch dealing with a troublesome customer, now you have to worry you might get a virus too that you'll bring home to your family who might be vulnerable.

I think fair bloody play to that person who at least tried and didn't roll his eyes and let the guy pass without confronting him as peacefully as he could.

There was a video around back in the first lockdown showing this kind of thing and the security man followed him around as he picked up items in the store he ignored the security man but at the checkout the security said not to serve him and they closed the till. he had to leave without his shopping after a lot of shouting.

• Advertisement

1047 cases nationally, 38 of these in Galway.

5 day moving average: 64 cases
    Galway incidence: 351.5
    National incidence: 369.0

Long way to go but we're getting there.

5 day moving average: 64 cases
    Galway incidence: 351.5
    National incidence: 369.0

How this was calculated or what incidence mean?

There are no medical exemptions which provide for free whiskey, though.

I think it just means offending Dunnes' staff and breaking any rules does not worth a bottle of whiskey on the Dunness' management opinion. Goverment unable to enforce Dunness to meet elementary requirements, LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

saabsaab wrote: »
    There was a video around back in the first lockdown showing this kind of thing and the security man followed him around as he picked up items in the store he ignored the security man but at the checkout the security said not to serve him and they closed the till. he had to leave without his shopping after a lot of shouting.

Once they know they won't be served they will cop on. This is what all shops by doing.

In terms of enforcement at the door, they wouldn't let shoplifters or troublemakers into the shop so health obligations are no different. Call the guards if get unruly but honest their response time is poor so probably gone by the time they arrive.

If people showed this wasn't acceptable we be out of this mess sooner. Instead the minority out there just dragging this crap on longer. Ireland has its share of trumpism.

How this was calculated or what incidence mean?

14 day incidence per 100,000 of population.

The council should give up their closure of Blackrock. About 50 in their 20s behind the barriers in the changing area today and 40 odd queued for coffee and Açai next to it.

It's pissing off a lot of long term swimmers that have respected the closure and spread out elsewhere.

It's a brilliant healthy outdoor amenity. They'd be better off providing more temporary changing facilities in the area to encourage people to spread out.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,211 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

28 new cases of Covid-19 in Galway – 829 nationwide with 6 additional deaths

https://connachttribune.ie/28-new-cases-of-covid-19-in-galway-829-nationwide-with-6-additional-deaths/

COVID Data Hub has lots more info
    Go to https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/pages/detailed-county-statistics and select Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

The Government are to announce the new 'Living with covid' plan in 2 weeks time so hopefully that indicates how they intend to open up the country again. I imagine (& rightly so) that schools will be a priority but I hope the case numbers are sufficient to review the 5km restrictions somewhat.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0209/1196068-covid-plan/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭serfboard

46 cases in Galway today
    Brings Galway's 14-day case rate per 100K to 316, just over the national average of 312.

• Advertisement

All 45 residents of An Teaghlach Nursing Home Moycullen had received their first vaccine dose but 38 of them subsequently tested positive last week.
    The seven residents who tested negative have been re-tested twice and they remain Covid-free.
    https://connachttribune.ie/covid-claims-twelve-lives-in-galway-over-last-week-333/

62 in Galway today.

Cdc finds a tightly fitted mask or wearing two masks increased protection by 96.5 percent.
    Worth remembering for high risk situations.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/10/world/double-mask-protection-cdc.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭1641

62 in Galway today.

Cdc finds a tightly fitted mask or wearing two masks increased protection by 96.5 percent.
    Worth remembering for high risk situations.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/10/world/double-mask-protection-cdc.html

It was a little more nuanced than that. In a laboratory situation one mask blocked 40% of particles exhaled in simulated breathing. A cloth mask on top of a surgical mask blocked 80%. If the other "head" also wore two masks then 95% were blocked. https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/10/double-masking-can-reduce-covid-exposure-improve-effectiveness-cdc-study-finds.html

Our own Dr Glynn commented that these were simulated lab conditions and the main issue he noted was people not wearing the one mask properly, eg, loose fitting. He said two should give extra protection but wearing one properly is the first necesity. The same CDC study found that one "head" wearing a knotted and tucked single mask increased effectiveness from 40% to 60%.

Is the college not closed?

There might be some labs ongoing but also loads of students still here in shared accommodation.

zell12 wrote: »
    Is the college not closed?

No.

Classes are online.

Labs are arranged differently (you work by yourself instead of with others) - but still have to be done. So students have to live close enough to do them.

Far fewer people on campus. But far from nine.

139 for Galway today

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

• Advertisement

Advertisement