Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,585 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

de absolute cnts a few weeks more vaccine a lot of vulnerable will be safe.
    no we want our pisshead fake week. fk everyone else..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I dunno. It's a very harsh attitude to take without knowing any of the context (even knowing the context)

This past year has been challenging for a lot of people in many ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,156 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

What are you on about? Got a link to support any of your rambling?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Hardly this year surely?

I thought that rag weeks have been cancelled for a few years anyway.

saabsaab wrote: »
    Hardly this year surely?

I thought that rag weeks have been cancelled for a few years anyway.

There's obviously been no "rag week" in any official or semi offical capactity.
    Posters are alluding to the fact that students partied anyway in their accomodation in groups.
    Which may or may not be true but blaming EVERY student who got covid last week because of their partying is daft at the minimum.

• Advertisement

kippy wrote: »
    There's obviously been no "rag week" in any official or semi offical capactity.
    Posters are alluding to the fact that students partied anyway in their accomodation in groups.
    Which may or may not be true but blaming EVERY student who got covid last week because of their partying is daft at the minimum.

You only need to look who made the accusations to see if it requires any attention.

You only need to look who made the accusations to see if it requires any attention.

lol very nice. your always chipping away personally not that I give a sht
    galway no higher some students breaking rules
    in a month they can go somewhat more free. the fact some did not enrages me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

You're making baseless, unsubstantiated claims here. There is no evidence to confirm that the GMIT & NUIG outbreaks are linked to house parties, as you are implying.

Both institutions are continuing with on campus activity, albeit limited to essential activity & activities that cannot be done at home. Moreover, students are still working throughout Galway City (e.g., supermarkets etc). It's equally as likely that someone working picked it up, brought it home to packed student accommodation, someone else might have had to be on campus for a lab and boom, outbreak.

I'm not saying house parties aren't happening (I think we all know they are), but right now we have no evidence nor proof of the source of this / these outbreaks.

Equally, I am sure staff are still on campus. Maybe the outbreak is associated with staff, not students?

As an aside, I would urge you try and control your rage over situations you cannot control.

I'm sorry, I've read that three times and still can't make it out fully.

You're ranting about students breaking rules it seems. You've no evidence of such rule breaking. People can contract the virus in many ways, if you've some evidence of rule breaking then feel free to share so we can all be as enraged (not really though) as yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Also, saying they will have a bit more freedom in a month is very optimistic, we will be in level 5 until cases are under 100 a day for 4 weeks straight. Last time that happened was last August. And we won't have the vulnerable vaccinated until at least the end of May, although I'm sure that will be pushed out further again.

While obviously we don't want anyone getting ill from this, it might actually not be the worst thing if it can be contained in the student accommodation and there is a level of immunity afterwards.

• Advertisement

They've announced the vaccine centres for the country
    https://www.thejournal.ie/vaccination-centres-rollout-5354912-Feb2021/
    Galway has only one and its going to be at the race course.

I was assuming they'd have somewhere in the city centre as well and use NUIG or even Leisureland

• Registered Users Posts: 9,684 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Pen Rua wrote: »
    You're making baseless, unsubstantiated claims here. There is no evidence to confirm that the GMIT & NUIG outbreaks are linked to house parties, as you are implying.

Both institutions are continuing with on campus activity, albeit limited to essential activity & activities that cannot be done at home. Moreover, students are still working throughout Galway City (e.g., supermarkets etc). It's equally as likely that someone working picked it up, brought it home to packed student accommodation, someone else might have had to be on campus for a lab and boom, outbreak.

I'm not saying house parties aren't happening (I think we all know they are), but right now we have no evidence nor proof of the source of this / these outbreaks.

Equally, I am sure staff are still on campus. Maybe the outbreak is associated with staff, not students?

As an aside, I would urge you try and control your rage over situations you cannot control.

This disease loves household mixing That's what spreads it. Not working in supermarkets.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/major-covid-outbreaks-at-two-universities-as-students-flout-rules-40096935.html

Two universities have been hit by major Covid-19 outbreaks as students flout lockdown rules, causing clusters of infection involving up to 40 people.

The outbreaks were discovered in University College Galway and the University of Limerick with clear evidence of household mixing, the Department of Health Covid-19 briefing was told.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    This disease loves household mixing That's what spreads it. Not working in supermarkets.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/major-covid-outbreaks-at-two-universities-as-students-flout-rules-40096935.html

Two universities have been hit by major Covid-19 outbreaks as students flout lockdown rules, causing clusters of infection involving up to 40 people.

The outbreaks were discovered in University College Galway and the University of Limerick with clear evidence of household mixing, the Department of Health Covid-19 briefing was told.

Great - now we have some evidence, facts & proof to back up where the outbreaks are coming from.

My point was that at the time when claims were being made here, we had zero proof.

Household mixing and/or working in supermarkets dont "spread the disease". The virus doesn't "LOVE" any particular situation over another althought it has been an unfortunate term used by many in places of influence to try differentiate risky from less risky activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Household mixing and/or working in supermarkets dont "spread the disease". The virus doesn't "LOVE" any particular situation over another althought it has been an unfortunate term used by many in places of influence to try differentiate risky from less risky activities.

Did you not read the linked article?

Household mixing absolutely does spread Covid-19, because of the diet of human behaviour that happens during household visits, AKA parties.

No. You're incorrect. The virus loves household mixing and spreads rapidly when people mix households. I flagged this over 5 months ago and it was was proven over xmas when the mouth breathers of the country gathered in households and took Ireland from the best in Europe to the worst in Europe.

No. You're incorrect. The virus loves household mixing and spreads rapidly when people mix households. I flagged this over 5 months ago and it was was proven over xmas when the mouth breathers of the country gathered in households and took Ireland from the best in Europe to the worst in Europe.

The virus doesn't "love" anything. It doesn't care how it spreads, it doesn't even care.....it doesn't have emotion.......

It's more likely to spread if people are in close contact for long periods of time, and one of the people in the group already has the virus. There's zero problem with household mixing if people dont "have" the virus.

The spread of the virus or lack thereoff is based on human behaviour not the virus "loving" one area over another.

I am not saying your are incorrect or wrong, just that people need to appreciate the above fact.

Did you not read the linked article?

Household mixing absolutely does spread Covid-19, because of the diet of human behaviour that happens during household visits, AKA parties.

Household mixing doesn't spread the virus - it's hosts do. It doesn't matter if that in a house, hotel, workplace or shop.
    Houshold mixing without an infected host, isn't going to spread the virus for example.....

You don't need a party either - as many people know.

I am not saying household mixing is a good thing - the more virus in the community the risker any close contact with other people is.

Anyway, back to Galway specific stuff. I believe the vaccination centre in the racecourse has been under construction the past few day. I assume the external structures being built are for queuing etc and that the buildings themselves will also be used?
    Anyone know the details?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Anyway, back to Galway specific stuff. I believe the vaccination centre in the racecourse has been under construction the past few day. I assume the external structures being built are for queuing etc and that the buildings themselves will also be used?
    Anyone know the details?

So nuts that they're building anything when there are so many vacant hotels and churches and community centres - why not throw money towards hotels in particular for rental? Some have enormous conference/wedding rooms.

So nuts that they're building anything when there are so many vacant hotels and churches and community centres - why not throw money towards hotels in particular for rental? Some have enormous conference/wedding rooms.

They can still say "no."

The virus doesn't "love" anything. It doesn't care how it spreads, it doesn't even care.....it doesn't have emotion.......

It's a commonly used term when it comes to viruses. Get used to it, get over it, move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Even within an existing building they would have to construct the shell and cubicles for individual vaccination and observation. Inside an existing building there might not be adequate ventilation, which can be a risk for spreading the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Anyone know the details?
    I wonder what happens if you don't drive? Buses maybe? I guess the regular bus service is running so it's not an impossibility

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

There's zero problem with household mixing if people dont "have" the virus.

Yeah, but that's the problem, the more you mix, the more likley you meet someone with the virus. You might have a perfectly safe Family bubble, but not all do.

xckjoo wrote: »
    I wonder what happens if you don't drive? Buses maybe? I guess the regular bus service is running so it's not an impossibility

Surely Bus Eireann could be approached to provide transport to those without same?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Surely Bus Eireann could be approached to provide transport to those without same?

They are already providing two bus routes that go to the racecourse, and the buses are substantially empty during Level 5 anyway.

They are already providing two bus routes that go to the racecourse, and the buses are substantially empty during Level 5 anyway.

TIL.

I had in my head the race week type operation - additional buses laid on directly to go to racecourse.

• Advertisement

There's race week buses too (that go into the center of the track) but there's a very regular service that serves the business parks at Parkmore. This is actually cut back during race week!

Advertisement