Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,490 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Storm 10 wrote: »
    The Government should be ashamed of themselves locking up Irish Citizens like prisoners and letting every other Nationally do what they want bunch of idiots

This is hysteria.

Nobody is allowed do what they want.

As I said hysteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Look I agree with the above posts I was thinking more about allowing foreign nationals in without making sure the are Covid free and isolate them two weeks, there are a lot of restrictions currently being broken here by people who should no better and dont care about spreading it around.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Look I agree with the above posts I was thinking more about allowing foreign nationals in without making sure the are Covid free and isolate them two weeks, there are a lot of restrictions currently being broken here by people who should no better and dont care about spreading it around.

They are treated no differently from returning Irish nationals. Same requirements apply to both.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,212 ✭✭✭✭zell12

The three people that arrived in Ireland with the Brazilian variant of Covid-19 were identified at Dublin airport and are in isolation

Mr Martin said that he did not foresee pubs or restaurants opening before the middle of the summer due to the slow pace the economy will reopen at due to concern around new variants of Covid-19.
    https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/hospitality-sector-unlikely-to-reopen-until-the-middle-of-summer-taoiseach-40111982.html
    https://www.independent.ie/news/three-cases-of-brazilian-variant-were-detected-at-dublin-airport-and-isolated-dr-colm-henry-40112538.html

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

First time working in the City for a while. There seem to be plenty of tourists around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Discodog wrote: »
    First time working in the City for a while. There seem to be plenty of tourists around.

What would tourists even be doing here at the moment?

Are you sure they're not foreign people living in Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

There's a lot of airbnbs active in Galway city. You'd be surprised how many people are walking around with suitcases, clearly having arrived in the city.

It would be easy to hop on a bus to Galway and stay in an Airbnb at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

There's a lot of airbnbs active in Galway city. You'd be surprised how many people are walking around with suitcases, clearly having arrived in the city.

It would be easy to hop on a bus to Galway and stay in an Airbnb at present.

They could be people moving to the city for essential work, or students moving to take on essential study that can only be done on site, or people moving back home, or people moving home... a lot of other options before we go TOURISTS.

Pen Rua wrote: »
    They could be people moving to the city for essential work, or students moving to take on essential study that can only be done on site, or people moving back home, or people moving home... a lot of other options before we go TOURISTS.

If you live in the city it's clear there are loads of properties on Airbnb. If you see a group arriving with suitcases to a property on Airbnb, I'd think they are visitors not essential workers or students.

I suggest you look up some adverts....... you'll see many have weekend bookings for March and April.

If you live in the city it's clear there are loads of properties on Airbnb. If you see a group arriving with suitcases to a property on Airbnb, I'd think they are visitors not essential workers or students.

I suggest you look up some adverts....... you'll see many have weekend bookings for March and April.

Why are there tourists coming to Galway? To visit the shut pubs, or the closed restaurants? To experience the closed shops? To take a walk and risk getting fined, substantially (not to mention the travel to & fro).

TBF, I know of people who booked cheap nights in apartments / Airbnbs in the city / town they live in just to get out of their homes.

• Advertisement

Why are there tourists coming to Galway? To visit the shut pubs, or the closed restaurants? To experience the closed shops? To take a walk and risk getting fined, substantially (not to mention the travel to & fro).

TBF, I know of people who booked cheap nights in apartments / Airbnbs in the city / town they live in just to get out of their homes.

Why are they not tourists? Why is it so hard to believe?

It's very possible that people are traveling to Galway from other counties. Even booking Airbnb and meeting up with friends.

Loads of people are breaking rules and have had it with level 5. It's not hard to arrange an Airbnb that facilitates a big group and arrange a get together for a weekend with friends from other places in Ireland.

They don't need pubs or restaurants. There are off licenses and take aways in the city centre.

I saw some tourists on Saturday. Don't ask me how I know they were tourists on holidays....staying in, umm, AirBNB.....I just know

Damned tourists!

Why are they not tourists? Why is it so hard to believe?

It's very possible that people are traveling to Galway from other counties. Even booking Airbnb and meeting up with friends.

Loads of people are breaking rules and have had it with level 5. It's not hard to arrange an Airbnb that facilitates a big group and arrange a get together for a weekend with friends from other places in Ireland.

They don't need pubs or restaurants. There are off licenses and take aways in the city centre.

But why are they tourists? As I said - there are a bunch of reasons why someone could 1) be out and about with a suitcase, 2) be staying at an Airbnb and 3) why they might be temporarily in Galway during Level 5.

I don't disagree that there are likely visitors in Galway, breaking rules etc. I would be foolish to say it were not the case.

But I'm more asking - how do you know someone with a suitcase, or staying at an Airbnb, or whatever is a tourist?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

But why are they tourists? As I said - there are a bunch of reasons why someone could 1) be out and about with a suitcase, 2) be staying at an Airbnb and 3) why they might be temporarily in Galway during Level 5.

I don't disagree that there are likely visitors in Galway, breaking rules etc. I would be foolish to say it were not the case.

But I'm more asking - how do you know someone with a suitcase, or staying at an Airbnb, or whatever is a tourist?

In the third week of January 15,000 came here by air alone per IT. A huge number considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭StonedRaider

I know of 4 tourist, from Belfast arrived in Galway 3days ago. Air b&b for a 5day fishing trip. Fridge loaded with beer from off licence.

Also have friends that flew to the Spanish isles before new years and are still there. Another few flew to South America at the same time and have yet to return. All as tourists/holidays

saabsaab wrote: »
    In the third week of January 15,000 came here by air alone per IT. A huge number considering.

That doesn't answer my question?

Again, these people are more likely to be people returning home than tourists. Need I remind you there is sweet-ef-all for locals to do, let alone tourists who would spend a couple of hundred euro to get here?
    I know of 4 tourist, from Belfast arrived in Galway 3days ago. Air b&b for a 5day fishing trip. Fridge loaded with beer from off licence.

Great - anecdotal evidence of 4 people going off fishing, threat to barely anyone.

That doesn't answer my question?

Again, these people are more likely to be people returning home than tourists. Need I remind you there is sweet-ef-all for locals to do, let alone tourists who would spend a couple of hundred euro to get here?

Great - anecdotal evidence of 4 people going off fishing, threat to barely anyone.

That's just the one group from 3 days ago. The air b&b they're in is just across the road from me. If i had to hazard a guess, since mid January, there must have been at least 5 other groups arriving and leaving.
    4 people out fishing during the day minding their own business don't cause any harm to no one. But what do 4 lads do after fishing and then loaded with alcohol? Take a guess

Well I don't know many people from Galway city who would book an Airbnb that accommodates perhap 10 or 12 people just to stay there for a night alone and pay over €1000 nightly in some cases. I live in Galway and I don't make a habit of walking around the city with a suitcase for fun.

I'm not saying there are load of international tourists around. I'm saying people are traveling into the city. Airbnbs in the city have bookings for weekends in March and April.

I don't blame people who have had enough of this lockdown. I'm sure there are plenty who would travel to Galway to meet up with family or friends at this stage.

I'm not judging but it is happening.

That's just the one group from 3 days ago. The air b&b they're in is just across the road from me. If i had to hazard a guess, since mid January, there must have been at least 5 other groups arriving and leaving.
    4 people out fishing during the day minding their own business don't cause any harm to no one. But what do 4 lads do after fishing and then loaded with alcohol? Take a guess

?
    Well I don't know many people from Galway city who would book an Airbnb that accommodates perhap 10 or 12 people just to stay there for a night alone and pay over €1000 nightly in some cases. I live in Galway and I don't make a habit of walking around the city with a suitcase for fun.

I'm not saying there are load of international tourists around. I'm saying people are traveling into the city. Airbnbs in the city have bookings for weekends in March and April.

I don't blame people who have had enough of this lockdown. I'm sure there are plenty who would travel to Galway to meet up with family or friends at this stage.

Okay - I'm following you now. In my head, I was assuming you were asserting it was foreign tourists and evidently this is not what you are asserting! Ass, you, me and all that. :pac:

Was just about to say. There's a landlord in the city centre, stone throw away from the GPO who also owns about 5-6 apartments above his premises that's all airb&b. It's been quite busy the past couple of weeks. It don't take no genius to figure out that most students won't be able to afford paying those rates per night. Would like to be proved wrong though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Could be. I haven't been in town for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Was just about to say. There's a landlord in the city centre, stone throw away from the GPO who also owns about 5-6 apartments above his premises that's all airb&b. It's been quite busy the past couple of weeks. It don't take no genius to figure out that most students won't be able to afford paying those rates per night. Would like to be proved wrong though

There have always been a group of people who travel to Galway for work, and stay here for a few nights during the week. Some of these will be essential workers.

Not all people with suitcases will be essential workers or students who need to be here for labs, for sure. But SOME will be. And since the hostels are closed, some will be staying in AirBnB.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,212 ✭✭✭✭zell12

All it takes is one to spread the virus, caller.

zell12 wrote: »
    All it takes is one to spread the virus, caller.

I'd be more concerned about the already declared outbreak in NUIG & GMIT than four lads going fishing tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

I'd love to go for a spot of fishing! Can't as there's no good spots within 5k from the house :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Where is this? There are literally a handful of hardy local anglers fishing Corrib when we get a good day at the moment, which only opened last week. No charter boats going out, and shore fishing is non-existent at this time of year. All the lakes and rivers in Connemara are closed. There is literally zero angling tourism at this time of year.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you made this up.

By pure coincidence, and apropos of nothing, the main method of angling on Corrib at this time of year is trolling. I find it a very boring method...

Zzippy wrote: »
    Where is this? There are literally a handful of hardy local anglers fishing Corrib when we get a good day at the moment, which only opened last week. No charter boats going out, and shore fishing is non-existent at this time of year. All the lakes and rivers in Connemara are closed. There is literally zero angling tourism at this time of year.

By pure coincidence, and apropos of nothing, the main method of angling on Corrib at this time of year is trolling. I find it a very boring method...

Yes, I made it all up after a confrontation on Saturday night with them when they were a little bit loud at 2am

Zzippy wrote: »

You sure about that? I know of at least 2 of them running.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

You sure about that? I know of at least 2 of them running.

Taking customers?

Some charter boats pick up survey contracts over the winter, they may be doing that. Any taking anglers out would be breaking the law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

I heard that 4 tourists slipped into Galway with none other than SUITCASES with them to partake in the scandalous act of FISHING. We need to inform all local papers quick of this so someone can film them and then post it on social media to generate outrage. Those tweets about how the Prom is 'too busy' are getting old now - need some new angle to generate the anger, blame and hysteria. Where are those City councillors calling for the army on the streets when we need them?

Advertisement