Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I heard that 4 tourists slipped into Galway with none other than SUITCASES with them to partake in the scandalous act of FISHING. We need to inform all local papers quick of this so someone can film them and then post it on social media to generate outrage. Those tweets about how the Prom is 'too busy' are getting old now - need some new angle to generate the anger, blame and hysteria. Where are those City councillors calling for the army on the streets when we need them?

How are they complying with the 5Km limit? A bit too late for Army on the streets now that the variants spread across the country at Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Where are those City councillors calling for the army on the streets when we need them?
    Up in the Senate that is where they are now, moving on up in the World!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I heard that 4 tourists slipped into Galway with none other than SUITCASES with them to partake in the scandalous act of FISHING. We need to inform all local papers quick of this so someone can film them and then post it on social media to generate outrage. Those tweets about how the Prom is 'too busy' are getting old now - need some new angle to generate the anger, blame and hysteria. Where are those City councillors calling for the army on the streets when we need them?

It is pretty outrageous. A 16 year old was one of the deaths notified yesterday. There is plenty of blame to go around like to the Government for a lack of enforced quarantine but also to the people. We knew vaccines were on the way back in November and couldn't help ourselves. Our actions in December have accounted for a quarter of all COVID deaths here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Wompa1 wrote: »
    It is pretty outrageous. A 16 year old was one of the deaths notified yesterday. There is plenty of blame to go around like to the Government for a lack of enforced quarantine but also to the people. We knew vaccines were on the way back in November and couldn't help ourselves. Our actions in December have accounted for a quarter of all COVID deaths here.
    Looks like that's the first death of anyone under 25 in Ireland, RIP.

Looking at table 2 at the bottom of the below link, the deaths only took off in Galway after Xmas, presumably a lot to do with the nursing home outbreaks.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/br/b-cdc/covid-19deathsandcasesseries24/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Largely to do with nursing home outbreaks.

It seems just blankly blaming our actions is a cop-out at this stage, an easy response to try scare people into compliance. We're past this point. Comparing ourselves to other European countries, there's serious flaws in our response.

My actions, and those of most of my friends and families, have not been irresponsible over the Christmas period or since then. Simply blaming everyone, because that's the easy thing to do, doesn't work anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭1641

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Largely to do with nursing home outbreaks.

It seems just blankly blaming our actions is a cop-out at this stage, an easy response to try scare people into compliance. We're past this point. Comparing ourselves to other European countries, there's serious flaws in our response.

My actions, and those of most of my friends and families, have not been irresponsible over the Christmas period or since then. Simply blaming everyone, because that's the easy thing to do, doesn't work anymore.

And nursing home outbreaks follow from increased infection in the community. The opening up of shopping and hospitality in December followed by "a meaningful Christmas" led to nursing home outbreaks - and loads more.

Who is blaming everyone? Most people are compliant - although on a varying scale. Some simply are not. Enough are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

1641 wrote: »
    And nursing home outbreaks follow from increased infection in the community. The opening up of shopping and hospitality in December followed by "a meaningful Christmas" led to nursing home outbreaks - and loads more.

Isn't it amazing how the virus knew how to get into Irish nursing homes in such numbers, when other European countries had nowhere near out numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭1641

Isn't it amazing how the virus knew how to get into Irish nursing homes in such numbers, when other European countries had nowhere near out numbers.

Sorry, I haven't seen the comparative figures. Have you a link ?

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Looks like that's the first death of anyone under 25 in Ireland, RIP.

Looking at table 2 at the bottom of the below link, the deaths only took off in Galway after Xmas, presumably a lot to do with the nursing home outbreaks.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/br/b-cdc/covid-19deathsandcasesseries24/

Reports of a 24 year old woman who lost her life to COVID this week too.

Odd it is reported as the only death under 25. A 23 year old woman was reported to have died from it in Sligo or Mayo back in April or May...I think it was Sligo.

Cop out, no, I'm afraid not.

I've come to realise over this period that there are many who just don't give a toss, regardless of what anyone says. They will do their own thing and to hell with the consequences.

Blackrock today

544959.jpg

On 13th Feb, with 6,550 fines issued, they broke down as follows
    • 4,911 €100 fines for non-essential travel
    • 132 €500 fines for non-essential journeys to airports/ports
    • the total number of €100 and €500 fines for non-essential journeys to airports/ports is in excess of 500
    • 116 €500 fines for organising a house party
    • 498 €150 fines for attending a house party
    • 127 fines of €80 each for not wearing a face covering

Today, the total figure is up to 9,000, if I had the above breakdown, I would post it.

We're all also aware of the major clusters in both NUIG & GMIT.

Sorry, but you have to face facts, however unpleasant they are to accept. The current situation is mostly due to non-compliance with basic social distancing at Christmas and the period since.

People love to point and shout about the airports but the truth is, whatever is or isn't coming through the airports would not be spread if we as a society were doing what we were supposed to do.

• Advertisement

I've come to realise over this period that there are many who just don't give a toss, regardless of what anyone says. They will do their own thing and to hell with the consequences.

Blackrock today

• the total number of €100 and €500 fines for non-essential journeys to airports/ports is in excess of 500

Today, the total figure is up to 9,000, if I had the above breakdown, I would post it.

Sorry, but you have to face facts, however unpleasant they are to accept. The current situation is mostly due to non-compliance with basic social distancing at Christmas and the period since.

People love to point and shout about the airports but the truth is, whatever is or isn't coming through the airports would not be spread if we as a society were doing what we were supposed to do.

Yep and reports of the cluster in Mayo starting from a super spreader event of people watching the All Ireland and trying to get around occupancy limits by passing pints out of the bar.

A lot policy doesn't help though. Lack of enforced quarantine. Leaving it so late to close schools leading up to Christmas. The HSE running radio ads thanks people for sacrificing and now they can enjoy a deserved Christmas...

The UK strain spread like wildfire from December. The amount of UK reg cars down in South Galway from the first week of December was ridiculous and that during a time when cross county travel was not permitted.

It must be due to the discrimination they are subjected to, I cant see any other reason.

"Many Travellers are forced to live in overcrowded conditions that make ideal breeding grounds for Covid-19,”

Jesus wept... "forced". Are they also forced to live beyond their means?

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

It must be due to the discrimination they are subjected to, I cant see any other reason.

"Many Travellers are forced to live in overcrowded conditions that make ideal breeding grounds for Covid-19,”

Jesus wept... "forced". Are they also forced to live beyond their means?

Theyre hardly forced to continue to have the big funerals.... one in Newcastle west this week shows no let up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Blackrock today

So DaCor how did you get the picture? Were you within 2metres of anyone when taking it?
    Do you seriously think it’s ok to photograph a group of people minding their own business and having a chat? Blackrock should never have closed in the first place, stopping people swimming. The delusion is strong on this thread.

Blackrock, council shout just reopen it, it's just a free-for-all for "young ones" behind the barriers. It would self regulate better if open to everyone.

Put in temp spaced out changing facilities in the area for the rest of the year.

https://twitter.com/Yesbutwhy4/status/1365263648441180165?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Blackrock, council shout just reopen it, it's just a free-for-all for "young ones" behind the barriers. It would self regulate better if open to everyone.

Put in temp spaced out changing facilities in the area for the rest of the year.

https://twitter.com/Yesbutwhy4/status/1365263648441180165?s=19

Is that not DaCor's picture, except without the blurred faces?

@ing the Garda, telling them to "do something" about people out, swimming - getting exercise in the sun. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Is that not DaCor's picture, except without the blurred faces?

@ing the Garda, telling them to "do something" about people out, swimming - getting exercise in the sun. :confused:

You seem to be ignoring the fact that they are gathered in an area that has been closed off in the interest of public health.

Do we all get to pick and choose which rules/laws we want to follow?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

So DaCor how did you get the picture? Were you within 2metres of anyone when taking it?

Unlike others, I take lockdown quite seriously and haven't left my locality in the county since August. Pic is from reddit, r/galway
    Do you seriously think it’s ok to photograph a group of people minding their own business and having a chat?

Both legally & morally, yes. There is no expectation of privacy in a public place.

However, in the interest of avoiding the "outrage brigade" I blurred faces. While that may not sit well with you, I have broken no rules
    Blackrock should never have closed in the first place, stopping people swimming.

Indeed, pubs, shops, restaurants should all also be open. People can absolutely congregate safely without any issues. Its not that big of a deal anyway, covid isn't real /sarcasm

• Advertisement

Sconsey wrote: »
    You seem to be ignoring the fact that they are gathered in an area that has been closed off in the interest of public health.

Do we all get to pick and choose which rules/laws we want to follow?

Cordoned off doesn't make it illegal to go in there now, does it?
    Unlike others, I take lockdown quite seriously and haven't left my locality since August. Pic is from reddit, r/galway

Both legally & morally, yes. There is no expectation of privacy in a public place.

However, in the interest of avoiding the "outrage brigade" I blurred faces. While that may not sit well with you, I have broken no rules

Indeed, pubs, shops, restaurants should all also be open. People can absolutely congregate safely without any issues. Its not that big of a deal anyway, covid isn't real /sarcasm

Who took the photo you shared? Did you, or did you take it from the Twitter version where there are no blurred out faces?

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Who took the photo you shared? Did you, or did you take it from the Twitter version where there are no blurred out faces?

asked and answered

Original post expanded upon for clarification

asked and answered

My bad - I missed that, in the post I quoted & bolded and all! Thanks, DaCor.

Galway numbers high (69) again today, now 2nd highest incidence rate in the country. I think the communication has to improve to let people know some areas are a big risk, especially with schools reopening partially next week. Kerry's incidence is now one tenth Galway's for example.

I know student outbreaks have caused the jump to a large extent but you'd worry it's still a long way from under control.

I think the communication has to improve to let people know some areas are a big risk, especially with schools reopening partially next week.

This is the most talked about topic for the last 12 months, on every front page daily, at the top of every news bulletin, multiple daily news conferences etc etc etc

At this stage, the only way to AVOID the information is to turn off your phone, TV & radio and don't talk to anyone.

Asking a serious question, but what part of the communication needs to improve?

This is the most talked about topic for the last 12 months, on every front page daily, at the top of every news bulletin, multiple daily news conferences etc etc etc

At this stage, the only way to AVOID the information is to turn off your phone, TV & radio and don't talk to anyone.

Asking a serious question, but what part of the communication needs to improve?

Communication at a local level, message for Galway should be more severe than the message for large parts of the country.

Communication at a local level, message for Galway should be more severe than the message for large parts of the country.

I'm scratching my head trying to understand what you mean. Its on all the local radio, local papers etc, with Galway specific numbers and issues.

Maybe you're right and they need to do something else, I'm just not sure what that is, unless you had something specific in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I agree.

It's crazy that schools are opening in an area with an incidence rate of 1292 - 6 times higher than the national rate. It definitely needs a more targeted local approach to lockdown and restrictions. Unfortunately adhering to restrictions means very little to some when there are no consequences for poor behaviour. People will be much less likely to tolerate their neighbours parties etc when it means their kids are not going back to school. We need a sense of intolerance of non-adherence.

Some counties have no cases today, several have less than 5. There's no good reason we are in this position and realistically it's likely to stay as is or get worse after schools open.

There are a lot of people who don't watch broadcast TV, listen to radio or read newspapers. They watch on demand content, music/podcast streaming services and they only see internet content from within their bubble.

I don't know what the solution to that is!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Without knowledge of the age profile of cases, we're all speculating.

If our cases are all 18-23's and in nursing homes, then it's not really an issue for schools. If.

Advertisement