Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Unlike others, I take lockdown quite seriously and haven't left my locality in the county since August. Pic is from reddit, r/galway

Both legally & morally, yes. There is no expectation of privacy in a public place.

However, in the interest of avoiding the "outrage brigade" I blurred faces. While that may not sit well with you, I have broken no rules

Indeed, pubs, shops, restaurants should all also be open. People can absolutely congregate safely without any issues. Its not that big of a deal anyway, covid isn't real /sarcasm

At no point did I say or have I ever said Covid isn’t real. No one suggested pubs, shops or restaurants being open. Pathetic attempt at deflection.
    It’s a disgrace public outdoor amenities have been taken from the people during lockdown, car parks closed, swimming areas taken, vilification of people talking outside in the fresh air.
    People should be encourage to meet outside if they’re going to do it. Whoever took the photo of the group would want to have good reason for doing so. Seems like they themselves are the exception to the rules that apply to everyone else.

At no point did I say or have I ever said Covid isn’t real. No one suggested pubs, shops or restaurants being open. Pathetic attempt at deflection.
    It’s a disgrace public outdoor amenities have been taken from the people during lockdown, car parks closed, swimming areas taken, vilification of people talking outside in the fresh air.
    People should be encourage to meet outside if they’re going to do it. Whoever took the photo of the group would want to have good reason for doing so. Seems like they themselves are the exception to the rules that apply to everyone else.

Looks like /sarcasm went whoosh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Not too long ago since Donegal Meath Kildare and Dublin were the highest and we were one of the lowest, it's all students in the College and GMIT that were the cause according to a councillor on radio figures will come down eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

frank8211 wrote: »
    Theyre hardly forced to continue to have the big funerals.... one in Newcastle west this week shows no let up

Where is Newcastle west........Moycullen?
    I suppose as the Galway county and city forums have been merged it's ok to include it here though.

Where is Newcastle west........Moycullen?
    I suppose as the Galway county and city forums have been merged it's ok to include it here though.

Near Limerick

• Advertisement

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Near Limerick

The poster must have stayed outside his 5k limit if he's discussing it in the Galway covid thread.

GMIT warns partying students they are delaying return to campus

Partying students have been told their actions have impacted GMIT’s plans to re-start practical classes on campus – and Gardaí are monitoring the city’s bus and train stations to catch those breaking the 5km travel restriction by returning home for the weekend.

College authorities said the current “extremely serious outbreak” of Covid-19 among students in Galway City was caused by a small minority who are “moving and mixing between different households”.

Following a meeting with Gardaí last week, GMIT contacted all students to clarify that because there are no ‘onsite’ classes, there should be no need to travel for educational purpose

Full story - https://connachttribune.ie/gmit-warns-partying-students-they-are-delaying-return-to-campus/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Not too long ago since Donegal Meath Kildare and Dublin were the highest and we were one of the lowest, it's all students in the College and GMIT that were the cause according to a councillor on radio figures will come down eventually.

Which councillor said this?

Statement like that would generally draw the ire of the clowns in the various Student Unions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

If anybody is on Snapchat they can go into map view and see all the partying in Corrib Village and Glasan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

sgthighway wrote: »
    If anybody is on Snapchat they can go into map view and see all the partying in Corrib Village and Glasan.

What the hell does scran mean?

• Advertisement

Red_Wake wrote: »

Statement like that would generally draw the ire of the clowns in the various Student Unions.

Missed the name it was on Galway Bay FM during the week we all know now it was students

• Registered Users Posts: 25,212 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Red_Wake wrote: »
    Cllr Byrne
    https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/calls-for-city-council-to-engage-with-stakeholders-to-halt-spread-of-covid-19-among-third-level-students/

Both Nuig & Gmit have issued pleas for students to follow the C-19 rules

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

zell12 wrote: »

Good on her.

It's good to see some leadership from our council. I've also been very impressed with Eddie Hoare over the pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

It really is time for the colleges to step up and issue sanctions to students who are breaking rules, like ending leases at Corrib Village etc.

It's not like this behaviour doesn't have serious consequences for the city, we'd all have a bit more confidence in our daily activities if we had less cases, and if cases continue high I don't see how opening schools and keeping them open will be viable. I think they should make examples of people breaking rules at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I've been working in a high-student neighbourhood near NUIG the last couple of weeks, and can see there's plenty of daytime household visiting going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

It really is time for the colleges to step up and issue sanctions to students who are breaking rules, like ending leases at Corrib Village etc.

It's not like this behaviour doesn't have serious consequences for the city, we'd all have a bit more confidence in our daily activities if we had less cases, and if cases continue high I don't see how opening schools and keeping them open will be viable. I think they should make examples of people breaking rules at this point.

It wouldn't be an issue if they had given some notice that the colleges were going to remain closed. They announced it the Friday before most colleges were going to open on the following Monday. Students had already moved into their accommodation and colleges refused refunds AFAIK. More slow decision making, a strong feature of the whole pandemic.

Some students may feel it is safer to live in the college accommodation rather than live at home with older parents. Most of them will have very mild symptoms also, so if they can confine it to the accommodation, it isn't the worst thing in the world. Of course the issue of people going about their business while awaiting test results has to end and should be strongly penalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    It wouldn't be an issue if they had given some notice that the colleges were going to remain closed. They announced it the Friday before most colleges were going to open on the following Monday. Students had already moved into their accommodation and colleges refused refunds AFAIK. More slow decision making, a strong feature of the whole pandemic.

Some students may feel it is safer to live in the college accommodation rather than live at home with older parents. Most of them will have very mild symptoms also, so if they can confine it to the accommodation, it isn't the worst thing in the world. Of course the issue of people going about their business while awaiting test results has to end and should be strongly penalised.

Fully agree, the university's actions in September were a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,156 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I've been working in a high-student neighbourhood near NUIG the last couple of weeks, and can see there's plenty of daytime household visiting going on.

https://mobile.twitter.com/newsworthy_ie/status/1243656615158599681

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Fully agree, the university's actions in September were a joke.
    It was fully obvious what was going to happen long before that, but the unis were encouraging students to get accommodation anyway. Shameful.

Shoutout to WIT for calling it early on that their courses were all going to be online.

The SU isn't really doing much to help.

• Advertisement

Yeah the NUIG SU has shown no leadership. All they're doing is calling on NUIG to open study spaces without addressing the reasons why that's been delayed.

The poor cretins thought they'd set aside some drinking money to pay for the house parties and now the Gardai are getting involved without their agreement, it's so unjust.

https://twitter.com/zerhanah/status/1359875525913804800?s=19

Yeah the NUIG SU has shown no leadership. All they're doing is calling on NUIG to open study spaces without addressing the reasons why that's been delayed.

The poor cretins thought they'd set aside some drinking money to pay for the house parties and now the Gardai are getting involved without their agreement, it's so unjust.

Imagine thinking a class rep vote dictates what the Gardaí can do. :confused:

Pen Rua wrote: »

Our 2nd level education system really does fail to turn out young adults who are ready to take their place in the world of work or higher-level study.

But that's not Covid specific.

Our 2nd level education system really does fail to turn out young adults who are ready to take their place in the world of work or higher-level study.

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭xckjoo

The parents are to blame for that
    But that's a discussion for another time

What?

Like you said:

Somehow kids get out of 2nd level thinking that laws do not apply to them.

Like you said:

Somehow kids get out of 2nd level thinking that laws do not apply to them.

Eh, I suppose, but that wasn't the gist I was going for.

It can't be easy for the SUs this year. They've had to deal with COVID, which not even a Govt can handle to everyone's satisfaction. I'm only a few years out of NUIG, but it can be hard to remember that these SU types are still quite young and inexperienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,212 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Salthill is thronged today
    Just as well the car parks etc were closed off, more space for people to spread out

Beautiful day in Salthill. The restricted parking seems to do little to reduce numbers.

Gardai checkout along the prom earlier today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I remember being told many years ago that the Gardai weren't allowed onto Campus without being invited by the authorities. Some old law or other was mentioned. Sounded like nonsense but was there something to it?

Advertisement