Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Ah here, come off it with threatened lives, as well as the economy and livelihood of a city, when we were blatantly aware of the consequences of such actions.

These students shouldn't be expelled. That would mean destroying their education, destroying their prospects of future education, their future careers and the future role they would play in society.

That's the reality if one section of society decides they're not playing ball.
    The whole "ah here" stuff is just tiresome after what we have seen over the last 3 months, tell it to health staff, people who've lost someone, people suffering the effects of long covid, people waiting for cancer treatment they couldn't have because the hospital was at capacity, people who could have businesses open now if everyone adhered to common sense in the months from June to end of December.
    It's not speculation anymore as to the consequences, we have seen it with our own eyes. There's few homes it hasn't taken some serious toll on.

Sure bleating about the effect on a few students, who I'd think should be given the option to return next year if they are expelled from this years term, is fine but we really can't afford to let things get out of hand again like they did in September for everyone's sake, students included. If they can't respect what everyone has sacrificed in the past months, I'm unsympathetic. When you chose your behaviour and you chose the consequence. That's a valuable lesson that'll carry you through life too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

That's the reality if one section of society decides they're not playing ball.
    The whole "ah here" stuff is just tiresome after what we have seen over the last 3 months, tell it to health staff, people who've lost someone, people suffering the effects of long covid, people waiting for cancer treatment they couldn't have because the hospital was at capacity, people who could have businesses open now if everyone adhered to common sense in the months from June to end of December.
    I'm far more frustrated and angry at the Government & health authorities who are keeping the restrictions dragging. It seems every other European country is moving out of restrictions, yet we're stuck with them longer even with them. That's who I'm mad at, not students (or anyone) who are breaking the restrictions for the sake of their own mental health at this point.
    It's not speculation anymore as to the consequences, we have seen it with our own eyes. There's few homes it hasn't taken some serious toll on.
    Cases in 18-24 year olds continue to decline despite the recent high profile events. See Dr Glynns' comments. https://twitter.com/ronan_glynn/status/1367196155256389645?s=20
    Sure bleating about the effect on a few students, who I'd think should be given the option to return next year if they are expelled from this years term, is fine but we really can't afford to let things get out of hand again like they did in September for everyone's sake, students included. If they can't respect what everyone has sacrificed in the past months, I'm unsympathetic. You chose your behaviour and you chose the consequence. That's a valuable lesson that'll carry you through life too.
    Expel means you're gone. So you're either for them getting expelled or not. Get out of hand like September? You'd swear students were the only group of our population meeting people. Not like everyone and their brother was out and about in Aug-Sept and then Nov-Dec.

I have no problem with sanctions (e.g., repeat a semester, repeat classes, financial penalties) but expulsion is a step too far.

Cases in 18-24 year olds continue to decline despite the recent high profile events. See Dr Glynns' comments. https://twitter.com/ronan_glynn/status/1367196155256389645?s=20

In a discussion about 3rd level students in Galway, using national level stats to diminish the issue is both factually incorrect and an utterly dishonest use of statistical data.

If you wish to look at the impact, look at the age profile of cases within the 3 city areas, where you will see a vastly different picture compared to the national one....its why its being flagged as a serious problem.

In a discussion about 3rd level students in Galway, using national level stats to diminish the issue is both factually incorrect and an utterly dishonest use of statistical data.

If you wish to look at the impact, look at the age profile of cases within the 3 city areas, where you will see a vastly different picture compared to the national one....its why its being flagged as a serious problem.

Fair. I'm just pointing out at a high level that cases among student age groups are falling.

JCX BXC commented that NUIG is saying the outbreaks are under control and cases are going back down. Is this true?

Fair. I'm just pointing out at a high level that cases among student age groups are falling.

JCX BXC commented that NUIG is saying the outbreaks are under control and cases are going back down. Is this true?

Not according to the current LEA stats which put Galway City Central LEA as having the highest incidence rate in the country.

545809.jpg

545811.jpg

LEA figures are updated weekly, and are ten days behind, so the next update may tell more

More stats here - https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/pages/detailed-county-statistics

545810.jpg

• Advertisement

Not according to the current LEA stats which put Galway City Central LEA as having the highest incidence rate in the country.

/image snip/

LEA figures are updated weekly, and are ten days behind, so the next update may tell more

More stats here - https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/pages/detailed-county-statistics

/image snip/

Thanks, DaCor.

So the stats are updated weekly, and even then are 10 days behind, is that what we're saying?

Would it therefore be fair to suggest NUIG has more up-to-date info provided to them by the health authorities that is made public at a later stage? Hence why JCX BXC suggested NUIG has said the outbreaks are under control?

Thanks, DaCor.

So the stats are updated weekly, and even then are 10 days behind, is that what we're saying?

Would it therefore be fair to suggest NUIG has more up-to-date info provided to them by the health authorities that is made public at a later stage? Hence why JCX BXC suggested NUIG has said the outbreaks are under control?

Just going to add that raw data is available here - https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/datasets/27d401c9ae084097bb1f3a69b69462a1_0?orderBy=P14_100k&orderByAsc=false

As for NUIG's info, you would have to ask them. I'm only going off the publicly available data.

I will say this, by its very nature of exposure>incubation>infection>recovery/death over a typical period of 14 days, figures are naturally going to decrease once the possibility of exposure is taken away i.e. house parties stop, mixing of households stops etc, so depending on when exposure avenues (or transmission vectors I think they're also known as) have been cut off, over a period of 2-3 weeks you'll see the numbers drop.

In other words, if they behave, we'll be fine, if they don't, expect the opposite

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

I'm far more frustrated and angry at the Government & health authorities who are keeping the restrictions dragging. It seems every other European country is moving out of restrictions, yet we're stuck with them longer even with them. That's who I'm mad at, not students (or anyone) who are breaking the restrictions for the sake of their own mental health at this point.

This is simply not true and I don't know why people keep making comments about the rest of Europe coming out of lockdowns. Other countries are going back into and sustaining current lockdowns and restrictions so we are not the only county in Europe still in lockdown. Also there is a plan, last week thousands of children returned to school and thousands more next week. Hospital numbers continue to drop and ICU numbers all going well will drop below 100 soon. If that continues then we should be on track for level 4 restrictions in April.

Also give the mental health thing a rest, we can all suffer (& do) from the restrictions. Show me some data that mental health is suffering more so this year please for students against everyone else?

I have no issue with a few students meeting for a few drinks but there is no need for them (or anyone) to have a load of contacts and pull the piss altogether. As mentioned throughout this thread there are loads of us who haven't seen parents/grandparents/brothers/sisters etc.. but apparently its fine for the students to meet and socialize in large groups. I haven't had a drink with ONE friend in months, as have most other people. As I said they could still enjoy themselves but keep the contacts low is all they need to do.

This is simply not true and I don't know why people keep making comments about the rest of Europe coming out of lockdowns. Other countries are going back into and sustaining current lockdowns and restrictions so we are not the only county in Europe still in lockdown. Also there is a plan, last week thousands of children returned to school and thousands more next week. Hospital numbers continue to drop and ICU numbers all going well will drop below 100 soon. If that continues then we should be on track for level 4 restrictions in April.

Admittedly, it's hard to compare each countries' lockdowns. The FT have an "index" and even at a high level, Ireland is up in the top tier (with the UK, Greece & Portugal)

https://ig.ft.com/coronavirus-lockdowns/

Even if we do go to "Level 4", Leo has already indicated that at most it would be easing the 5km, letting construction go back and allowing click & collect for non-essential retailers. That's still a harsh set of restrictions for the rest of the population. I suppose it's better to compare in April, as we move along.
    Also give the mental health thing a rest, we can all suffer (& do) from the restrictions. Show me some data that mental health is suffering more so this year please for students against everyone else?
    I don't have that data (would anyone?) and am just speaking anecdotally. All in Galway would notice the searches on the rivers, and granted that's at the most extreme.

I'm not sure why you're asking for me to show how students are suffering more than others - that wasn't the point I was trying to make. Granted, reading back it seems like I'm saying students are being driven to party for their mental health. I phrased that poorly.
    I have no issue with a few students meeting for a few drinks but there is no need for them (or anyone) to have a load of contacts and pull the piss altogether. As mentioned throughout this thread there are loads of us who haven't seen parents/grandparents/brothers/sisters etc.. but apparently its fine for the students to meet and socialize in large groups. I haven't had a drink with ONE friend in months, as have most other people. As I said they could still enjoy themselves but keep the contacts low is all they need to do.
    Agreed.

The HSE Public Health Doctor for the West spoke at this evening's press conference.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0304/1201042-hse-household-outbreaks-coronavirus/

• Advertisement

The HSE Public Health Doctor for the West spoke at this evening's press conference.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0304/1201042-hse-household-outbreaks-coronavirus/

Just in reference to that its worth mentioning that that doctor was interviewed during the week and was appealing to students who have jobs not to go to work if they're in anyway ill as it turned out some were doing that. Those kids are working in supermarkets, corner shops, take aways. It can seem like most of us have little overlap with students assuming we are over 25 and outbreaks among them can be contained to a cohort that are unlikely to need hospitalisation, but it just isn't the case.

Worrying update this evening from the Nephet conference about increased risks of still birth in pregnancy among women who get covid because of it causing something called "covid placentitis".

Worth bearing in mind to take extra care you have a pregnant family member you're living with. It's cause for all of us to be a bit extra careful of those we encounter.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/four-stillbirths-among-women-with-covid-19-prompt-alert-to-maternity-staff-on-precautionary-basis-1.4501500

Well I think its safe to say they just laid out, step by step, exactly how things went to crap in Galway.

Seriously, I'd recommend everyone take a read of that article. It lays out the dates, rates of infection etc etc. John Smith would be proud
    On Day One of the outbreak, there were two clusters, four households and four cases confirmed.

On Day Two, this became six clusters, 12 households and 15 cases.

By the end of Week One, there were 16 clusters, 48 households and 85 cases confirmed.

By Day 21, or Week Three, there were 20 clusters, 86 households and 177 cases from the initial outbreak.

In addition, Dr Smyth said, there were 145 cases linked to single household outbreaks, as well as another 118 cases confirmed.

In total, 224 households were affected from the initial outbreak.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I presume the worst of the student outbreak is over at this stage given that it started two weeks ago and they have all the info how it spread. Lesson for all to learn here.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,212 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Oh oh, someone is upset
    NUIG President’s upset at Covid breaches on campus
    NUIG confirmed this week that it had imposed sanctions on a number of students in relation to Covid breaches, while there have been none at GMIT

On this article "NUI Galway students union president, Padraic Toomey, says there are no parties like those seen in Limerick this week…"

I guess Limerick is the benchmark now.

https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/galway-city-centre-still-has-highest-covid-19-incidence-rate-nationwide/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Worrying update this evening from the Nephet conference about increased risks of still birth in pregnancy among women who get covid because of it causing something called "covid placentitis".

Worth bearing in mind to take extra care you have a pregnant family member you're living with. It's cause for all of us to be a bit extra careful of those we encounter.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/four-stillbirths-among-women-with-covid-19-prompt-alert-to-maternity-staff-on-precautionary-basis-1.4501500
    Strange that they would say this now, seems to have been studied in the UK already and no link found.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/215533/covid-19-infection-pregnancy-linked-with-still/

I can't see how stressing out pregnant women is fair, based on preliminary information that hasn't been properly investigated here, and that has been disproven elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

It's very interesting how RTÉ were seen placing rubbish in the freshly cleaned gardens in college court in limerick for their news reports.

My take on the the coverage of COVID since it began is that we're simply jumping from scapegoat to scapegoat. In the last few weeks it was fashionable to complain about and blame international travellers, now it's college students. I wonder who will be next?

The news coverage has gone to such sh*te, I'll only believe raw data, and you'd even be somewhat skeptical of that.

In terms of Galway, numbers have flattened and the incidence rate has started to tumble in the last few days. Last Thursday Galway had the second highest incidence rate of the country at 315.4 per 100,000. Yesterday (Thursday) Galway had dropped to 9th place with an incidence rate of 212.7. The outbreak has clearly been dealt with quite well. Why is there no media coverage of this?

JCX BXC wrote: »
    The outbreak has clearly been dealt with quite well. Why is there no media coverage of this?

You're not likely to see anything until the LEA figures get updated

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭serfboard

It's very interesting how RTÉ were seen placing rubbish in the freshly cleaned gardens in college court in limerick for their news reports.
    Where did you read that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

serfboard wrote: »
    Where did you read that?

No official reports of it from what I can see, however a close friend of mine lives nearby and has clear footage of it happening, saw plenty reports on social media too. I wouldn't expect it to make any headlines, who'd report it?

No official reports of it from what I can see, however a close friend of mine lives nearby and has clear footage of it happening, saw plenty reports on social media too. I wouldn't expect it to make any headlines, who'd report it?

It's amazing how RTE manage to p1ss off both sides of any debate. Must mean they're balanced. :pac:

You and your friend can - post the video?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭serfboard

You and your friend can - post the video?
    Yeah. What's the betting that a video - clearly showing an RTE employee/contractor throwing rubbish around someone's garden - will never see the light of day? :rolleyes:

I assume this is the video in question.
    https://twitter.com/Tilly_Fizz/status/1367772423651745793

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/Tilly_Fizz/status/1367772423651745793

Saw the video on the news and he was a council worker picking up the litter the day after.

Ah here! Hardly #RteFakeNews spreading rubbish across a clean estate!

There was plenty of photos of the aftermath posted as the crowd was dispersed. (Or maybe they were all Fair City extras bussed down to Limerick to create the story)
    https://amp.independent.ie/news/a-few-clowns-dont-make-a-circus-majority-of-uls-17000-students-let-down-by-a-thoughtless-few-40155806.html?__twitter_impression=true

I agree, I was just responding to the poster saying the video will never see the light of day. A quick Twitter search and there it is, it doesn't prove much mind you.

Doesn't change the fact that the conduct of most of the media outlets in Ireland has been contemptible. Their MO has been to scapegoat and label as many different citizens as possible which of course has the natural effect of dividing people. Students, people travelling through airports, people walking in Salthill on a nice day, students again, a priest giving Holy Communion out the back door of the church etc. They have done their best to spread worry and fear, the latest example being the stillbirths caused by Covid. Is it just that fear and misery sells, or are they trying to frighten people into compliance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

No one reporting it because it is clearly bull5h1t. You really should go back and edit your earlier post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Is it just that fear and misery sells

Good news doesn't sell.

Also there's so little going on generally that media outlets are likely short on genuine news.

Advertisement