Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Christ there's a reaction. I actually hadn't seen that particular video posted above, I'd seen a different one.

It's amazing how hostile posters get when they hear something they don't want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Christ there's a reaction. I actually hadn't seen that particular video posted above, I'd seen a different one.

It's amazing how hostile posters get when they hear something they don't want to.

Then share your video.

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Then share your video.

Not my video, and you don't just take things off people's social media stories.

You're saying RTÉ planted rubbish to film people picking it up.

You have no proof.

Someone else provided a video, and now you don't agree with that video?

eh, I'm not sure you understand how social media works. Look for the share button

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭amandstu

eh, I'm not sure you understand how social media works. Look for the share button

Sounds to me like he /she is deliberately spreading disinformation.

If we don't get a genuine link and not just hearsay should he be kicked off boards?

I'm not sure you understand how it works, have you heard of a story? They're on Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat, others too probably.
    Pen Rua wrote:

You're saying RTÉ planted rubbish to film people picking it up.

You have no proof.

Someone else provided a video, and now you don't agree with that video?

Was there not a video posted above? What other proof could I possibly expected to have obtained. When did I say I don't agree with the video?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Strange that they would say this now, seems to have been studied in the UK already and no link found.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/215533/covid-19-infection-pregnancy-linked-with-still/

I can't see how stressing out pregnant women is fair, based on preliminary information that hasn't been properly investigated here, and that has been disproven elsewhere.

Strange but they have said they're not drawing a definite link, more issuing an advisory to act with an abundance of caution - but yes little comfort there if you are pregnant. That said if there is the slightest risk I'd rather see women infected go forward for any necessary testing or interventions that might help and feel it's responsible to put that measure in place for them. It's one of those areas where you wouldn't leave even the tiniest margin for error. In late pregnancy if a mother showed signs of blood clotting abormalities etc that can be common in Covid a caesarian section might be an option for her.

They mentioned on the news today that "at least 2" of the deaths had occurred since Christmas and that they were investigating the significance of that. Maybe they're not confident that previously explored data relates to the UK variant which is now responsible for over 90% of cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Strange but they have said they're not drawing a definite link, more issuing an advisory to act with an abundance of caution - but yes little comfort there if you are pregnant. That said if there is the slightest risk I'd rather see women infected go forward for any necessary testing or interventions that might help and feel it's responsible to put that measure in place for them. It's one of those areas where you wouldn't leave even the tiniest margin for error. In late pregnancy if a mother showed signs of blood clotting abormalities etc that can be common in Covid a caesarian section might be an option for her.

They mentioned on the news today that "at least 2" of the deaths had occurred since Christmas and that they were investigating the significance of that. Maybe they're not confident that previously explored data relates to the UK variant which is now responsible for over 90% of cases.

Probably best left to the experts to see if there's anything to be worried about rather than untrained Covid watchers needlessly worrying people more.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/no-evidence-of-stillbirth-increase-since-coronavirus-arrived-in-ireland-rotunda-hospital-master-1160366?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1614953141

• Registered Users Posts: 25,212 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Meehall Martin is in Galway today at Ballybrit vaccination centre, the new Galway tent, I guess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Got vaccinated up there yesterday. Grand set up, nice and airy but not sure what they will do in the lashing rain, as i was a good 20 mins queuing up outdoors.

Probably best left to the experts to see if there's anything to be worried about rather than untrained Covid watchers needlessly worrying people more.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/no-evidence-of-stillbirth-increase-since-coronavirus-arrived-in-ireland-rotunda-hospital-master-1160366?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1614953141

Fairly sure NEPHET aren't untrained covid watchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Fairly sure NEPHET aren't untrained covid watchers.

They're trained virus and public health watchers, for sure.

Probably not so much in obstetrics.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Was there not a video posted above? What other proof could I possibly expected to have obtained. When did I say I don't agree with the video?
    That video shows someone picking up rubbish though - despite what the videotaker claims..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭serfboard

I was just responding to the poster saying the video will never see the light of day. A quick Twitter search and there it is
    Emm ... there it isn't. This is what I said:
    serfboard wrote: »
    What's the betting that a video - clearly showing an RTE employee/contractor throwing rubbish around someone's garden - will never see the light of day? rolleyes.png
    it doesn't prove much mind you.
    Doesn't prove much? It actually does - it proves that the allegation is bullsh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭serfboard

It's amazing how hostile posters get when ...
    ... someone posts bullsh1t and defamatory allegations with nothing to back it up except, emm, I saw it on social media. Or, better yet, my friend has it on video, but I can't share the video, so you'll just have to take my word for it.

We don't. You made an allegation. When you were asked to produce evidence you couldn't.

Let's put it like this. Let's imagine that Cathy Sheridan of RTE (for it's her report), decides to sue you for defamation, for alleging here that:
    RTÉ were seen placing rubbish in the freshly cleaned gardens in college court in limerick for their news reports
    You would be asked by a court to produce evidence of your allegation. When you tell the court that "I saw it on social media" or "My friend has a video of it, but I can't produce the video", you might find yourself in a spot of bother.

Is this a court? No, it's not. Quite frankly I'm in no mood to go talking to this person, coax them to email me the video, upload it via some other medium and then post it here, all for your appeasement. Keep in mind, this was from a Snapchat story and may not even be saved.

Even without my video, these allegations were made, they did not originate here, it's not like I'm making these up out of thin air and posting them on this website, nor did I see this video and immediately screen record it lest I be required to testify about it on Boards.ie and present my evidence. The sheer amount of denying denying screaming I'm wrong and have no evidence is very interesting, you rarely see posters get so defensive. Really shows how willing people are to attack something they don't want to hear!

I'm not a poster who makes up stuff or stirs the pot and it's clear from my posting history. You'd swear I was your run of the mill rereg account.

Anyways, this has been pulled massively off topic and to be honest I'm done discussing it. I personally don't care if you believe everything, wish to bury your head in the sand with your fingers over your ears or anything in between. This is a discussion forum, not a courthouse.

Is this a court? No, it's not. Quite frankly I'm in no mood to go talking to this person, coax them to email me the video, upload it via some other medium and then post it here, all for your appeasement. Keep in mind, this was from a Snapchat story and may not even be saved.

Even without my video, these allegations were made, they did not originate here, it's not like I'm making these up out of thin air and posting them on this website, nor did I see this video and immediately screen record it lest I be required to testify about it on Boards.ie and present my evidence. The sheer amount of denying denying screaming I'm wrong and have no evidence is very interesting, you rarely see posters get so defensive. Really shows how willing people are to attack something they don't want to hear!

I'm not a poster who makes up stuff or stirs the pot and it's clear from my posting history. You'd swear I was your run of the mill rereg account.

Anyways, this has been pulled massively off topic and to be honest I'm done discussing it. I personally don't care if you believe everything, wish to bury your head in the sand with your fingers over your ears or anything in between. This is a discussion forum, not a courthouse.

No one is getting worked up as much as you about this. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

This is a discussion forum, not a courthouse.
    Yes, you'd be laughed out of a courthouse. Posters here are being generous in dignifying your claims with response..

Jaysus I really stepped on a few egg shells here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,650 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Jaysus I really stepped on a few egg shells here!

Do you think RTE planted those egg shells?

pjohnson wrote: »
    Do you think RTE planted those egg shells?

No of course not, that's Virgin Media.

Some news on stillbirths from the conference.
    Covid a 'significant factor' in preliminary reports of stillbirths

Dr Murphy said it was the view of pathologists in Ireland that Covid-19 was "a significant factor" in four preliminary reports of stillbirths confirmed at the NPHET briefing last week.

She said the cases - potentially associated with a condition known as Covid Placentitis - "aren't necessarily" impacted by new strains of the virus.

There have been similar reports in other countries, Dr Murphy said, but they "haven't reached the literature as yet, but not high numbers".

She said perinatal pathologists are liaising with international colleagues, but "we need to keep an open mind".
    Frightening but if it is the case we need to know so we can protect those who need it.

Other news
    However, Dr Cliona Murphy told the NPHET briefing that there is evidence of a negative effect on fertility in men if they have got Covid-19, but it’s not clear if this is a trend or long term consequence.

Dr Murphy said it is recommended that all of those of reproductive age take the Covid-19 vaccine as it becomes available, and that there is no reason to avoid the vaccine among those with a history of miscarriages.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0308/1202783-five-things-nphet-briefing/

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Guys, please keep it local. There is a whole forum for general discussion.
    Keep it Galway please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭amandstu

Mostly down to the outbreak in the University coming under control?

Welcome anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Very large wedding in Salthill Coaches and horses watch the numbers go up next week.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Very large wedding in Salthill Coaches and horses watch the numbers go up next week.

Nobody will be blamed however, as it's one of the immune groups.

God help if the big bold students went there though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,585 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

this and Leitrim I think people are going to give up. hard blame dem..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,682 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Storm 10 wrote: »

You certainly won't hear a mention of telling people to avoid massive weddings on tonight's Late Late Show.

https://twitter.com/MarkDuf41105249/status/1370428192176148482?s=19

Advertisement