Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

The 5km limit is only for exercise.

You can travel anywhere for food shopping, medical treatment, and essential family events like weddings.

But only 6 can attend weddings, what reason did the rest give for being at the church in Salthill?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

But only 6 can attend weddings, what reason did the rest give for being at the church in Salthill?

Part of their culture?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Give to who?

How often have you been stopped by a guard as you go about your business? Personally it's been never, and I'm going out to work most days, and the supermarket once a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

wily minx wrote: »
      I work in salthill and it was most definitely yesterday, brought the whole place to a standstill. The reception was in a hotel nearby.

That beggars belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Give to who?

How often have you been stopped by a guard as you go about your business? Personally it's been never, and I'm going out to work most days, and the supermarket once a week.

What's your point here Mrs O Bumble? I'm reading it as if you're not stopped by a Guard then you're free to break restrictions?

• Advertisement
      • Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

PCeeeee wrote: »
        What's your point here Mrs O Bumble? I'm reading it as if you're not stopped by a Guard then you're free to break restrictions?

I think her point is the Gardai are not stopping many people. I used to be stopped every day I drove in the first lock down. Haven't been stopped at all in this one. If that Wedding was in Salthill; every Garda was probably 5 miles away and had no intention of been in Salthill to witness it. Hotel Function is shocking but hard to turn down the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

sgthighway wrote: »
        I think her point is the Gardai are not stopping many people. I used to be stopped every day I drove in the first lock down. Haven't been stopped at all in this one. If that Wedding was in Salthill; every Garda was probably 5 miles away and had no intention of been in Salthill to witness it. Hotel Function is shocking but hard to turn down the money.

I have been stopped twice on the prom and Threadneedle road at check points, asked where I was from and going to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Storm 10 wrote: »
        I have been stopped twice on the prom and Threadneedle road at check points, asked where I was from and going to.

https://imageshack.com/i/po69fRUNj

I am going to assume that is fake

Give to who?

Give to the Gardai since apparently they engaged and were "satisfied that no breaches of the five kilometre travel rule took place". If only 6 were there for the wedding, what were the rest there for.

Think I've been stopped 5 times (going to the shop), twice in the current lockdown. Often a checkpoint in Salthill. But not sure why that's relevant. If myself and the extended family and friends decided to attend a wedding during Level 5, I'd expect questions then too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

https://imageshack.com/i/pngx6BURj

The local priest is up on the altar...... Behind the flowers. Could have done with a few more flowers I think

• Advertisement
        • Registered Users Posts: 25,212 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Getting vaccinated tomorrow. Heard from work HR dept, not the HSE. Doesnt give people much notice but in saying that, thankful to be getting first dose. Any idea which of the vaccines is currently being administered up there?
          AstraZeneca vaccinations being suspended in Ireland from today 14th March

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

sgthighway wrote: »

Not a city response but out by Kinvara it's every other weekend. Maybe it's because we're close to the county line with Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,585 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

hmm. not 100pc sure but a pub restaurant looked very much open today at 4.30

The Oslo are doing takeaway meals and drinks.

A few are doing weekend takeaway, including the Oslo, Salthouse, Bluenote and Bierhaus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,585 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

ok locals today says it was open. wont name it. but very poor tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Say again?

Pics or GTFO.

What's not allowed is eat-in or eat-outside-on-premises.

Alcohol purchase and food collection is allowed, including going inside to pick up, and to wait provided you can do so in a distanced way. I'll bet that is what was seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Look at that video: it was raining all day, but the ground in Salthill was dry.

You do realise rain does not cover an entire area or City or County just because it is raining where you may be? You know it could lash rain in Newcastle & be bone dry in Knocknacarra & be lashing in Oranmore yet dry in Salthill all at the same time. You know that is possible & does happen, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

If the host of a party gets a fine, surely the Catholic Church is liable for fine if they host a wedding with over X allowed guests?

• Advertisement
        • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Happy St Patrick's to Galway. I'm sure it's quiet but the flags are out?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,212 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Plenty of garda around today to celebrate our national day

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NTC

saabsaab wrote: »
          Happy St Patrick's to Galway. I'm sure it's quiet but the flags are out?

And a Happy St. Patrick's Day to you.

Two flags at the front of the house.

Here's to being back to normal next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

zell12 wrote: »
          Plenty of garda around today to celebrate our national day

No harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Interesting article in today's Independant about Galway titled "Warning as students reinfected with Covid within six months".
          Strangely it's not online but is in the print version and in the pay for version in the app.

The HSE West Director of public health and the Medical director from NUIG have made a video message for students urging people be very careful about complacency in those who've previously had Covid here because they know at least 3 Galway students have tested positive for Covid twice. They first were ill during the Oct- Nov wave, but were reinfected in recent weeks during the newer wave that affected student accommodation. The NUIG doctor was suggesting that it might be a result of people previously ill not creating antibodies to deal with the UK variant that has been more prevalent recently. That doesn't seem to a pattern elsewhere however.

Made me wonder if it's realistic to imagine it's just 3. I'd think students particularly who caught it before and aren't very seriously ill from it might think a new onset cough/cold couldn't be Covid because they had it before and might not get tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,589 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

When is Zhivago in Shop St going to open again, I've got Xmas presents to return as CD's are faulty.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,589 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

So if the police is not doing anything about the traveller weddings and funerals, why doesn't the general public start confronting these happenings instead, they would soon stop if there was enough reaction to them.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Salthill was swarming with Gardai today, they weren't risking any gatherings building up!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

So if the police is not doing anything about the traveller weddings and funerals, why doesn't the general public start confronting these happenings instead, they would soon stop if there was enough reaction to them.

Off you go and set up your own vigilante group then. Do report back on how you get on.

• Advertisement
        • Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

When is Zhivago in Shop St going to open again, I've got Xmas presents to return as CD's are faulty.

Do you honestly need an answer to that? Or are you living under a rock?

Advertisement