Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Do you honestly need an answer to that? Or are you living under a rock?

It's a fair question. easons are open they are hardly essential. Car washes have re opened .

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

Catholic procession in the city today apparently, not many masks in use https://twitter.com/Tilly_Fizz/status/1372261094614515718

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's a fair question. easons are open they are hardly essential. Car washes have re opened .

Easons sell newspapers and stationery. They were allowed to be open all along.

Offies are hardly essential, either. Do you think they should be closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Catholic procession in the city today apparently, not many masks in use https://twitter.com/Tilly_Fizz/status/1372261094614515718

What in the f**k?

I'm really getting sick of this country, the selective enforcement of regulations is utterly disgraceful. Why should some people be subjected to the rules and others given a free pass to do what they like?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

His question wasnt around the validity of them being opened or closed, it simply asked when theyd be open. I assume you knew why Easons were open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

JCX BXC wrote: »
    What in the f**k?

I'm really getting sick of this country, the selective enforcement of regulations is utterly disgraceful. Why should some people be subjected to the rules and others given a free pass to do what they like?

Completely agree with you the same goes for weddings and funerals its bloody annoying, some people that break these rules could not care less for the rest of us in lock down.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

JCX BXC wrote: »
    What in the f**k?

How do you know there was no enforcement? I saw no religious procession or evidence of one in that area later in the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I believe the numbers were limited for the Wedding Ceremony but not before/after and that is what they mean when no laws were broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,490 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Yep.

In other news Galway cases on the rise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

41 cases today

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

sgthighway wrote: »
    I believe the numbers were limited for the Wedding Ceremony but not before/after and that is what they mean when no laws were broken.

Can the rest of us follow those guildelines or are we to continue following;

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/2dc71-level-5/

Social and family gatherings

In your home or garden
    No visitors are permitted in private homes or gardens except for essential family reasons such as providing care to children, elderly or vulnerable people, or as part of a support bubble.

Other settings outside your home or garden
    No social or family gatherings should take place in other settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

Activity around the city centre is way up this week. With all the Cheltenham/Paddy's Day gatherings I wouldn't be surprised if numbers are way up by this time next week. Hopefully not but I wouldn't be shocked if we're closer to 1000 cases next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

Activity around the city centre is way up this week. With all the Cheltenham/Paddy's Day gatherings I wouldn't be surprised if numbers are way up by this time next week. Hopefully not but I wouldn't be shocked if we're closer to 1000 cases next week.

Plus there is very little social distancing, certainly not anything like 2m

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Time to stop blaming society for living and existing. The government / nphet strategy of never ending lockdowns as our only approach is a failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Time to stop blaming society for living and existing. The government / nphet strategy of never ending lockdowns as our only approach is a failure.

So, just deaths and hospitals so full of Covid patients that should you have an accident/get cancer/have a heart attack you'll die because there's no capacity to care for you? We almost saw what that looks like in January. Theatres in hospitals in Ireland were repurposed as Covid wards.
    I absolutely blame anyone who feels they have the right to put the the rest of us in that position.

It's not never ending lockdowns, its lockdown until we have achieved sufficient vaccination in cohorts that will overwhelm our hospitals if they contract it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

But it's not the only approach. Vaccine rollout is happening now as for failure it has certainly saved many lives here and prevented the health system collapse. Just look at what happened in Italy last year.

You should head over to Brazil where the head of the country is actively trying to block any kinds of lockdowns.

My stepson has changed his route to work over there as he can no longer bring himself to drive past the local graveyard. Its not the fact that there are funerals, its the stacks of coffins outside waiting to be buried. They are literally piling them up outside the gates.

Be VERY careful what you wish for. Investigate the options and understand the implications of each option. Lockdown sucks, sure, but it is by far the least worst option

You should head over to Brazil where the head of the country is actively trying to block any kinds of lockdowns.

My stepson has changed his route to work over there as he can no longer bring himself to drive past the local graveyard. Its not the fact that there are funerals, its the stacks of coffins outside waiting to be buried. They are literally piling them up outside the gates.

Be VERY careful what you wish for. Investigate the options and understand the implications of each option. Lockdown sucks, sure, but it is by far the least worst option

Imagine comparing Brazil to Ireland. We’ve had the longest lockdown in the western world, this country has been shut for most of the last 12 months. Brazil has taken no measures to control covid and are going into their autumn, while we’re heading into our spring / summer. You can’t compare like with like when their president does nothing while we destroy our economy, society and futures.
    One country under reacts while the other over reacts.
    Or has all the bike lane planning along the prom actually caused you to miss all the closed businesses in Galway city centre? The empty office buildings, the many small businesses that will never reopen because the government didn’t even allow click and collect this time.

So, just deaths and hospitals so full of Covid patients that should you have an accident/get cancer/have a heart attack you'll die because there's no capacity to care for you? We almost saw what that looks like in January. Theatres in hospitals in Ireland were repurposed as Covid wards.
    I absolutely blame anyone who feels they have the right to put the the rest of us in that position.

It's not never ending lockdowns, its lockdown until we have achieved sufficient vaccination in cohorts that will overwhelm our hospitals if they contract it.

Where are the hospitals full of covid patients? Funny the doctors and nurses I know don’t speak of such. They speak of paused healthcare, health conditions and missing diagnosis, missed cancer screening. Covid wave is over, it doesn’t keep rising and rising indefinitely.
    Blaming society for the existence of covid is a fallacy designed by the government and others to deflect from their failures. The goalposts keep moving, the vulnerable will be vaccinated long before June, yet we stay in level 5?
    No talk of summer reopening at all or what that will look like?
    Will interesting to see when the money starts to get cut, and it will as we don’t qualify for any EU funds in their bailout as our GDP is too high - the chickens will come home to roost then pretty lively.

• Advertisement

saabsaab wrote: »
    But it's not the only approach. Vaccine rollout is happening now as for failure it has certainly saved many lives here and prevented the health system collapse. Just look at what happened in Italy last year.

Of course, so at what point would you say start lifting of some restrictions? Because the government seem to be waiting until 80% of all adults are vaccinated to do anything, which is far more than vulnerable groups - it will be 2030 at the rate we’re currently moving at and the teething problems with Astra Zeneca and supplies.

Imagine comparing Brazil to Ireland. We’ve had the longest lockdown in the western world, this country has been shut for most of the last 12 months. Brazil has taken no measures to control covid and are going into their autumn, while we’re heading into our spring / summer. You can’t compare like with like when their president does nothing while we destroy our economy, society and futures.
    One country under reacts while the other over reacts.

I didn't compare the two, but you just did ;)
    Or has all the bike lane planning along the prom actually caused you to miss all the closed businesses in Galway city centre?

100% the weirdest personal insult I've ever had thrown at me :D:D:D
    Where are the hospitals full of covid patients? Funny the doctors and nurses I know don’t speak of such. They speak of paused healthcare, health conditions and missing diagnosis, missed cancer screening. Covid wave is over, it doesn’t keep rising and rising indefinitely.
    Blaming society for the existence of covid is a fallacy designed by the government and others to deflect from their failures.

You'll find the tinfoil in aisle 5, right beside the conspiracy theories forum
    The goalposts keep moving, the vulnerable will be vaccinated long before June, yet we stay in level 5?
    No talk of summer reopening at all or what that will look like?

Do me a favour, go back to Dec 1st, when we were at half the rate we are currently at now and we reopened.

How long was society able to open for, 24 days.

What happened after? Crazy spike in rates and we came deathly close to running out of capacity in our hospitals.

Now look at the current rate which is over double the Dec rate. Whats your plan to reopen society but prevent the spread so that its a reopening that lasts. Go ahead, I'm honestly curious if you have actually thought this through. Outline a strategy that will achieve widescale engagement from society, be effective in stopping the spread and not risk the over flowing of out hospitals.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for places to reopen, for things to get back to normal, however when it requires that we basically have to allow our health system to collapse to facilitate shopping, sorry, thats not something I'm willing to go for.

I didn't compare the two, but you just did ;)

100% the weirdest personal insult I've ever had thrown at me :D:D:D

You'll find the tinfoil in aisle 5, right beside the conspiracy theories forum

Do me a favour, go back to Dec 1st, when we were at half the rate we are currently at now and we reopened.

How long was society able to open for, 24 days.

What happened after? Crazy spike in rates and we came deathly close to running out of capacity in our hospitals.

Now look at the current rate which is over double the Dec rate. Whats your plan to reopen society but prevent the spread so that its a reopening that lasts. Go ahead, I'm honestly curious if you have actually thought this through. Outline a strategy that will achieve widescale engagement from society, be effective in stopping the spread and not risk the over flowing of out hospitals.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for places to reopen, for things to get back to normal, however when it requires that we basically have to allow our health system to collapse to facilitate shopping, sorry, thats not something I'm willing to go for.

So now you’re comparing December and the depths of winter reopening to summer? I’ve news for you, people went mad at Christmas because we’d been in lockdown for weeks on end previously coupled with B117 arrival. That has now ran through the population. It’s not going to blow up during Spring / Summer despite your best efforts to claim it will.
    And you think I should go to a tinfoil hat aisle because I pointed out the amount of health issues currently not being addressed or getting picked up? Seriously?

So now you’re comparing December and the depths of winter reopening to summer? I’ve news for you, people went mad at Christmas because we’d been in lockdown for weeks on end previously coupled with B117 arrival. That has now ran through the population. It’s not going to blow up during Spring / Summer despite your best efforts to claim it will.
    And you think I should go to a tinfoil hat aisle because I pointed out the amount of health issues currently not being addressed or getting picked up? Seriously?

Ok, so no plan then, thanks for the clarification

But allow me to correct one of your errors. The UK variant accounts for 90%+ of all cases in Ireland. It has not "run through the population".

Ok, so no plan then, thanks for the clarification

But allow me to correct one of your errors. The UK variant accounts for 90%+ of all cases in Ireland. It has not "run through the population".

Ok, let’s keep everything closed until June because of this variant that even the UK themselves don’t seem as worried about. Keep the 5k for April and beyond and level 5 until July. I’m sure our Tír na nÓg money tree will keep the free money flowing in. A newstalk report earlier said 80% of restaurants could be bust by July.
    Totally plausible and realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

I'm not blaming society. Just saying that I wouldn't be surprised if numbers jump up.

I totally agree with you that the lack of a plan doesn't help. People are fed up and the lack of a plan out of lockdown only encourages people to break rules.

Ok, let’s keep everything closed until June because of this variant that even the UK themselves don’t seem as worried about. Keep the 5k for April and beyond and level 5 until July. I’m sure our Tír na nÓg money tree will keep the free money flowing in. A newstalk report earlier said 80% of restaurants could be bust by July.
    Totally plausible and realistic.

Ok then, I'll repeat

Whats your plan to reopen society but prevent the spread so that its a reopening that lasts. Go ahead, I'm honestly curious if you have actually thought this through. Outline a strategy that will achieve widescale engagement from society, be effective in stopping the spread and not risk the over flowing of out hospitals.

Or are you just having a moan and don't have any better ideas. It's ok if you are, this situation is wearing on everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 23,650 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Looks like we have a wild patriot on the forum :pac:

Ignoring the pandemic or asking it politely to go away arent viable solutions Mr. Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Where are the hospitals full of covid patients? Funny the doctors and nurses I know don’t speak of such.

You're really not seeing the wood for the trees here.
    That is because we had lockdowns. Before they took effect hospitals were full.
    They speak of paused healthcare, health conditions and missing diagnosis, missed cancer screening. Covid wave is over, it doesn’t keep rising and rising indefinitely.

It does keep rising and rising without intervention.
    Look at Italy last year. Look at Brazil and Mexico now. Look at Europe right now. Look at Ireland in January. It is no longer a matter of conjecture, the real life affects are plainly manifest.

We have a backlog of missed diagnosis because we had rampant covid, because wards were full and others repurposed, healthcare understaffed because staff were sick. As a result we could not provide a safe environment to bring potentially seriously ill people into.

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    Looks like we have a wild patriot on the forum :pac:

Ignoring the pandemic or asking it politely to go away arent viable solutions Mr. Summer.

You know full well I’m not a supporter of any far right or conspiracy theorist ideas but you do love your one liner drop in to forums, I’ll give you that.

Advertisement