Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,212 ✭✭✭✭zell12

What's the issue? Where they driving too slow? There is a traffic thread for traffic issues.
    There is a general 5km radius limit for people. It's obvious people are travelling from all over, to points west for Easter break

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

zell12 wrote: »
    There is a general 5km radius limit for people. It's obvious people are travelling from all over, to points west for Easter break

Not so. They could be doing their food shopping, going to/from an essential workplace, a dentist appointment, a doctor's appointment, going to or from the hospital, be in a social bubble with an elderly person or coming from a vaccine center and that's just off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,212 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Walk-in Covid-19 testing centre for asymptomatic people
    Town Hall/Library Car Park, Ballinasloe 11am to 7pm, 2-4 April

“Our pop up walk-in testing centres target areas where there is the greatest risk of disease at the moment" The testing centres were set up in order to help understand why Covid-19 is spreading in certain areas and to help uncover cases where people don’t suffer any symptoms

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The 5km limit is only for exercise. If a person is going somewhere in a car, the 5km does not apply because they are clearly not exercising.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

The 5km limit is only for exercise. If a person is going somewhere in a car, the 5km does not apply because they are clearly not exercising.

This is not correct, zell12 is correct that there is a general 5km limit, but it has not been observed much the last number of weeks

• Advertisement

This is not correct, zell12 is correct that there is a general 5km limit, but it has not been observed much the last number of weeks

MrsOB is right on this one...

"People are required to stay at home except for travel for work, education or other essential purposes, and will be permitted to take exercise within 5km of home."

It's a bit different to the 2/5km restrictions last year.

"People are required to stay at home except for travel for work, education or other essential purposes, and will be permitted to take exercise within 5km of home."

It's worrying that this still has to be explained: if it was a 5km general limit then everyone who lives more than 5km from a supermarket would be starved by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

It's worrying that this still has to be explained: if it was a 5km general limit then everyone who lives more than 5km from a supermarket would be starved by now.

Such nonsense, that never ever existed.

Well it used to be a 5km general limit with exceptions for essential travel beyond it. But with this lockdown it's "stay at home" except for exercise within 5km or essential travel.

The difference is you could drive to a beach/park and sit out for the day in the old 5km limit. Now you're only meant to be out for exercise. That's why Gardai are asking "is your journey today essential" now instead of "where have you come from, where are you going today?".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

While I can't wait for the 5km limit to be scrapped so I can go to the seaside / countryside, I am more excited to see it scrapped so that the endless conversations around what the 5km rule applies / does not apply to will finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

MrsOB is right on this one...

She claimed the 5km rule did not apply to anyone travelling by car which is very much not the case.

It is essentially a 5km restriction, both in express terms and in spirit, you can only venture further for essential purposes. Visiting your holiday home in Connemara doesn't qualify.

It is the case - you can only travel by car for essential purposes - the 5km doesn't come into it. There's no non-essential travel within the 5km.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

The last ten posts show exactly why lots of people don't bother adhering to any of that nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,490 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

The last ten posts show exactly why let us of people don't bother adhering to any of that nonsense.

No it doesn't.

Looks like some people misunderstood the rules, thirteen months in.

8 deaths, 591 new cases.

Galway holding out well at 21 cases today and the Galway 14 day incident rate is down to 100.8 now.

She claimed the 5km rule did not apply to anyone travelling by car which is very much not the case.

It is very much the case.

You do not exercise inside your car. The only reason why you will be in your car is for essential travel, for which there are no distance limits.

This is not difficult to understand, and has been in force for the last three months.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Walk-in Covid-19 testing centre for asymptomatic people
    Town Hall/Library Car Park, Ballinasloe 11am to 7pm, 2-4 April

“Our pop up walk-in testing centres target areas where there is the greatest risk of disease at the moment" The testing centres were set up in order to help understand why Covid-19 is spreading in certain areas and to help uncover cases where people don’t suffer any symptoms

Is there a hot spot of covid in the area? Haven’t heard anything locally.

It is very much the case.

You do not exercise inside your car. The only reason why you will be in your car is for essential travel, for which there are no distance limits.

This is not difficult to understand, and has been in force for the last three months.

That is pointedly ridiculous and you know it.
    I think you just enjoy this messing Mrs O'Bumble :D

Not sure what you're missing _Whimsical_?

Is it your take that non essential travel within your 5km is permitted and only limited to essential when you go beyond 5km? That's simply not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Taken from CI..

'Stay at home, except:
    Work from home, unless your work is an essential service that cannot be done from home.
    You should not visit other households except for essential purposes. You can meet with one other household outdoors when taking exercise.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

Is there a hot spot of covid in the area? Haven’t heard anything locally.

Was 4/5 cases in local creche, is that enough to be considered a hot spot, wouldn't really have thought so and even if further spread from them to others the overall Galway figures don't show a huge number in total. Dunno!

Not sure what you're missing _Whimsical_?

Is it your take that non essential travel within your 5km is permitted and only limited to essential when you go beyond 5km? That's simply not the case.

No I understand the rule, I was taking issue with the assertion that the 5km rule does not apply to those in cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭I see sheep

It seems like the death rate in Galway for the last 2 years is the same as any other year, am I wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Not exactly, a logical exetension of your comment is that one could drive to 20km to a forest or some thing and then go for a walk.

You must stay within 5km of where you live, unless it is for esssential travel, which could include a visit to a GP, Phramacy, Supermarket etc.

Not exactly, a logical exetension of your comment is that one could drive to 20km to a forest or some thing and then go for a walk.

Nope.

You can only exercise within 5km of your home. There is no need to drive to exercised in that boundary - if you're going out to exercise, you can walk there.

Many people do not live within 5km of a supermarket, GP, hospital, bank, schoolor their workplace. They are free to travel any distance to attend these places, for essential purposes. It does not matter how far they have to travel to do so.

Sheesh. I think we can see now why the disease incidence has not fallen more quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

The only reason why you will be in your car is for essential travel, for which there are no distance limits.

No this is not the only reason for people are driving in their cars, many people (this weekend) are driving from Dublin to Kerry/Galway/Donegal etc to visit holiday homes.
    Many people do not live within 5km of a supermarket, GP, hospital, bank, schoolor their workplace. They are free to travel any distance to attend these places, for essential purposes. It does not matter how far they have to travel to do so.

It does not mean one can travel ANY distance.

I do not have a pharamacy or supermarket in my 5km zone out here in the wilds of connemara, but that does not mean i can drive to a Tesco in Kildare or Dublin.

No I understand the rule, I was taking issue with the assertion that the 5km rule does not apply to those in cars.

So you don't understand the rule...

The 5km rule doesn't apply to those in cars. It's an exercise limit.

The rule for travel in cars is it's essential travel only. So going to the shops, medical appointment, essential work etc.

Driving 50km to a holiday home isn't essential travel - it's against the current guidelines. Driving 3km to a holiday home is also non essential travel and also against the guidelines. Driving 20km to do the weekly shopping when you've shops 6km from home is also non essential travel and against the guidelines. If you've no shops within 20km then that trip is essential travel. The 5km exercise limit doesn't come into it.

Edit: See here on the current restrictions and note the only reference to 5km is for exercise...
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/covid19/public_health_measures_for_covid19.html#l053b3

It does not mean one can travel ANY distance.

I do not have a pharamacy or supermarket in my 5km zone out here in the wilds of connemara, but that does not mean i can drive to a Tesco in Kildare or Dublin.

But you can drive to the nearest Tesco, no matter how far away it is.

You can also drive to the nearest hospital. And if they refer you to a hospital in Dublin, you can drive to Dublin, too.

I am quite sure that many of the people driving at the moment are doing non-essential travel. But the 5km rule is not the one they are breaking.

But you can drive to the nearest Tesco, no matter how far away it is.

You can also drive to the nearest hospital. And if they refer you to a hospital in Dublin, you can drive to Dublin, too.

I am quite sure that many of the people driving at the moment are doing non-essential travel. But the 5km rule is not the one they are breaking.

Why do you think the guards are stopping cars to find out if they're on essential journeys ?

This has to be one of your more obtuse takes on things, I nearly enjoy it at this stage. :)

• Advertisement

Why do you think the guards are stopping cars to find out if they're on essential journeys ?

That's exactly what they're asking when stopping people...

https://www.thejournal.ie/garda-easter-warning-family-holiday-home-5397846-Mar2021/

Edit - I misread. You asked why, because that's the current guidelines. They're not asking if you're driving beyond the 5km exercise limit. You've your wires crossed here somewhere!

Advertisement